The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Aristocracy

Yes, it definitely looks like that tobacco brown suit to me -- and doesn't she look sweet? And as you say, apprehensive.

Thanks for posting. Even a not-so-good photo, when it's from an occasion we've not seen before, is a treasure.:)

Old 06-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy

Diana at polo in 1981. Both photos: Bob Thomas/Alamy
Alamy gives the date only as June. Does anybody know if this is the correct month, and the exact day?

Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

June 16, 1981, first day of Ascot. After the races, Charles and Diana departed for the polo field. She's holding the hat she wore earlier.

Photo: Bob Thomas/Alamy

Photo: Tim Graham/Getty Images

P.S. Are these posts OK, or should I be doing smaller thumbnails?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Aristocracy

I need help dating these. Arthur Edwards says this polo occasion was "just before her 20th birthday," thus, late June. Alamy, however, says it was July.

Below, Diana is watching Charles play with a little dog.

Both photos: Bob Thomas/Alamy
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Aristocracy

Here's another one for which I don't know the date -- does anyone know?
Tim Graham gives the date as May 1; I think he probably means simply that it was sometime in May.

Diana is wearing the blue sailor suit that she wore previously on Mar. 27, when the Privy Council approved the forthcoming marriage and she and Charles were photographed with the Queen. She and Charles also visited Cheltenham the same day.

This photo isn't a very clear view, but it's the only one I could find online for the moment. I seem to remember from other photos that she wore different shoes here at polo than on Mar. 27. On one of those days, her shoes were red -- it was probably at polo, a much less serious occasion.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

I loved the pictures of Diana in her "sheep sweater". That was her first polo match since the engagement was announced and pictures from that day were spread across the world. As a result, that sweater became a bestseller and must have brought in tons of money for the shop that sold it (Warm & Wonderful).

Here are a few more pics from the early polo matches.

Photos: Tim Graham (Left & centre); Anwar Hussein (right)

Old 06-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness

June 28 1981 I just have these old newspaper clippings. I would love to see colour pics from this day.

Photo: Art Edwards (left) & Bill Kennedy (right)

Old 06-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Nobility

with Miss Sarah Ferguson 1981
(L) Bill Kennedy/Rex Features, in "ITN Book of the Royal Wedding" 1986, (R) Ken Goff
(Below) Tim Graham, "Diana Princess of Wales Fashion Handbook."
Old 06-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the colour photo from June 28th 1981. I never even thought of looking in the Fergie books. Good detective work!
Old 06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

Terrific work, Lady Jean! I've long wondered what color that dress was. There's a b/w photo of the same outfit in "The Country Life Book of Diana, Princess of Wales."(p 73) Same dress, same white coat, but was it a different occasion? Your photo with Fergie definitely looks like a polo match, but the caption in Country Life says that Charles (who isn't pictured) was "tak[ing] the salute at HMS Mercury near Petersfield."

[I promise to learn to scan, and I'll post the picture.]
Old 06-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Gentry

Ok the picture of diana in the striped sweater & skirt at polo match is July 11.
She worn that navy sailor suit March 27 when they visited the Gloucestershire police station and later photographed with the Queen who gave her consent for the marriage. On June 9 she worn it again for polo match & with the red shoes. The sheep sweater polo match date was June 6. Two more polo matches were July 12 she worn the pale yellow dungarees and July 8 she worn that mauve stripey ruffled dress July 25 was the floral outfit (where she left crying) then July 26 polo match in a pale lilac print top & dress (with Sarah) the June 28 another polo match where she worn a white coat over a dark teal blue spotted dress (which was also worn July 25 for HMS Mercury engagement with Charles)
That covers the polo matches before the marriage.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Aristocracy

Canadiana, I've been wondering where you and your vast store of knowledge have been. Thank you for all the polo dates. And you even know both occasions when she wore the teal dress! You've never seen it without the coat, have you?

Did you find all these dates in those old British newspaper clippings you have? Anyhow, many thanks.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Nobility

Canadiana, thank you for setting us straight as usual!! Please visit more often, I have missed you!:)

As far as dates go, what about...
the pale pink patterned blouse and skirt, where Diana is photographed wearing Prince Charles' watch and her own, and talking with Princess Anne,and kissing the Queen hello. Is that the pale lilac you are referring to? Or is this yet another match she attended? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Gentry

Thanx Lady Jean & Umbrella Girl I have been on here checking things out but didn't see anything at that time to post so I didn't.
Yes alot I got from British newspapers and also from squidgy we help each other for dates/engagements.
No I have not seen her wear tht teal blue dress without the coat it's pleated though with short mandarin collars I believe.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

July 8th 1981 Polo at Windsor

Photo: Syndication International

Old 06-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
Canadiana, thank you for setting us straight as usual!! Please visit more often, I have missed you!:)

As far as dates go, what about...
the pale pink patterned blouse and skirt, where Diana is photographed wearing Prince Charles' watch and her own, and talking with Princess Anne,and kissing the Queen hello. Is that the pale lilac you are referring to? Or is this yet another match she attended? Thanks.
yes you have it correct the other mauve striped ruffled purple sash gown is july 8 which squidgy has posted.
she went to a polo match june 16 after ascot in again a purple striped outfit with the large feathery hat that was posted earlier too and by squidgy I believe
Old 06-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Aristocracy

Another, closer view of that striped ruffly dress:

Both photos: Bob Thomas/Alamy
Old 06-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Aristocracy

And here are the yellow overalls. Boy, did she have long legs.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Nobility

It is so sad to see some of these pictures. To think that she was so unhappy at the time, and now looking back it is so clear to see. The world will see what they want to see no matter how wrong they are. I just remember thinking how happy she was, but pictures speak to the truth.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Gentry

Well in 1982 (if anyone is interested) Diana attended many polo matches too here's the dates.

May2 (koala/aust. map sweater & brick red cordorays
May 15 Brockenhurst, Hampshire (powder blue & white check maternity dress)
May 22 ( red & white candy striped maternity dress)
May 30 (powder blue & white maternity dress)
June 4 (bright pink maternity shirtdress)
June 6 ( green & white polka dot maternity dress) same as the departure from hospital with baby William
June 13 (powder blue & white check dress with white sweater)I never knew about this one until last year and yes same dress as may 15 & 30)
June 15 polo after ascot (pastle peach maternity dress)

Maybe someone else can post the pix!!!!!!!

Tags
diana princess of wales, pictures, polo, princess diana