The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

It's supposed to be a good colour to stimulate the appetite, too. Excellent for a dining room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Crimson is a great color with greens and gold.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Her apartment looked more like a 3 floor house. I wish they perserved it like Margaret's.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
He apartment looked more like a 3 floor house. I wish they perserved it like Margaret's.
I think it is strange that they preserved Princess Margaret's apartment. I thought the reason behind not preserving apartments at KP was because of the needed space for exhibits and office space. Or is there another reason to get rid Princess Diana's apartment?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Administrator

The short story is that Princess Margaret's apartment had been used as an exhibition space while Diana's apartment (apartments 8 and 9) had been rented out in 2005 to provide some income to carry out further refurbishments.

From the Kensington Palace thread here are the two stories which give more detail:

It is time for Princess Diana to take her place in history | Life & Style

"...the opening of Princess Margaret's apartment, which since her death in 2002 has been used as a temporary exhibition space. The interiors will be restored to the Sixties and Seventies, when Princess Margaret and Tony Snowdon were the most stylish couple in London, including the smoke extractor in the kitchen that he designed himself...
...This part of the palace will carry a permanent display devoted to Princess Margaret and Princess Diana's extensive collection of dresses."

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: How Palace feared public backlash on plan to turn Diana home into offices

"Apartment 8 was subsequently rented out to four of Prince Charles’s charities after a £500,000 refurbishment in 2007 and 2008.
Apartment 9 was rented out to General Sir Richard Dannatt, the Ministry of Defence’s then Chief of the General Staff."
Old 09-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMO they would have gotten much more income if the Palace opened up Diana's apartment's to the public.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that it wouldn't have been wise to open Diana's apartment to the public, particularly soon after her death. Diana's most devoted--to the point of hysteria--"fans", from what I've seen, can idolize her too much. There was probably real concern about her apartment becoming some kind of a shrine or being overwhelmed by the number of people who would have wanted to see it. Also, I've noticed a tendency among the most radical of Diana's "fans" to have an anti-monarchist view--to the point of thinking of the Windsors as evil, and I think that the historical royal buildings such as Kensington Palace could be a target for vandalism. Sure, there's security there; but when there's a large number of people in one place, things can happen.

By "fans" I'm not referring to people who were interested in Diana and were fond of her; I mean the people who were on the "fringe."

Quote:
IMO they would have gotten much more income if the Palace opened up Diana's apartment's to the public.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Aristocracy

This is where her 2 sons should have stepped in and protect their mother's memory.. Anyway, I can imagine Diana at home in comfy pj's playing with the boys She was royal but she also was a warm caring mother who loved to spend time with her kids A wonderful person
Old 09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that it wouldn't have been wise to open Diana's apartment to the public, particularly soon after her death. Diana's most devoted--to the point of hysteria--"fans", from what I've seen, can idolize her too much. There was probably real concern about her apartment becoming some kind of a shrine or being overwhelmed by the number of people who would have wanted to see it. Also, I've noticed a tendency among the most radical of Diana's "fans" to have an anti-monarchist view--to the point of thinking of the Windsors as evil, and I think that the historical royal buildings such as Kensington Palace could be a target for vandalism. Sure, there's security there; but when there's a large number of people in one place, things can happen.

By "fans" I'm not referring to people who were interested in Diana and were fond of her; I mean the people who were on the "fringe."
You do make a valid point, I didn't think of the obbessed fans.... But I didn't mean that they should have opened soon after her death.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that the Wales brothers have done as much as two young boys and then young men could have done. They bring her name up as having been a positive influence and a wonderful mother. They personally hosted a huge 10th anniversary concert to honour and remember her. Prince William spoke out personally about a former employee who wrote a book. They've honoured her in the way that was right to them, and that's as it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne83 View Post
This is where her 2 sons should have stepped in and protect their mother's memory.. Anyway, I can imagine Diana at home in comfy pj's playing with the boys She was royal but she also was a warm caring mother who loved to spend time with her kids A wonderful person
Old 12-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember reading somewhere I think it was in one of Burrell's books that the Royals do not use wallpaper but embroidered fabric I believe? Can someone verify that?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I read the same in the Burrell book.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:28 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to say that if you use google earth you can locate Diana's apartments. Paul Burrell mentioned in one of his books about the oval "round-about" outside her front door and you can see this is google earth.

I visited Kensington Palace last year. I found it very moving standing outside "those" golden and black gates and thinking Diana stood here. It really is a beautiful place xxx
Old 01-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I agree with you not my taste at all, but I read at the time of her death that Diana had wanted to in the Fall of 1997 do an extensive overhaul of her apartment. I could see her leaning towards an Anglo-Indian look.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here are some more interior shots.
http://www.orwelltoday.com/dianabk7.jpg
http://www.orwelltoday.com/dianabk5.jpg
http://www.orwelltoday.com/dianabk4.jpg

I think the Anglo-Indian decor would have looked amazing.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Nobility

Thanks for more the pictures. I think the furniture is very under scaled considering the height of the ceilings.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, I think the bamboo chairs should've been bigger in height. But once again I do love the color of the dining room.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Royal Highness

It looks like Princess Diana loved the color yellow. Yellow's definition is brightness and/or jealousy. I think it is interesting that the princess used that color. I heard that last summer she was getting KP redone in the color blue. Guess she was moving on with her life and the choice of blue-It is often associated with depth and stability.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Blue is a wonderful calming color. I did not know yellow is associated with jealousy. One learns something new everyday.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I read in the Burrell book that she was redoing her sitting room in blue and yellow. In the pics in his book in her sitting room there was blue and gold accessories on a cream yellow sofa. This remodel was completed 10 days before she died. She saw it once.
She was not painting the apartment blue! Just updating the sitting room from pink/ white to blue/ yellow.
The sitting room was the last of the rooms to be completed in the remodel.
Here is a timeline of the remodel from Burrell's books:
Winter 92/ Spring 93- Turned C's study into boys' playroom
Summer /Fall 95- New carpets
Summer/ Fall 96- re-painted apartments, excluding playroom, dining room, drawing room, areas that were repainted went from peach to yellow.
Summer 97- re-did sitting room, described above
Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I read in the Burrell book that she was redoing her sitting room in blue and yellow. In the pics in his book in her sitting room there was blue and gold accessories on a cream yellow sofa. This remodel was completed 10 days before she died. She saw it once.
She was not painting the apartment blue! Just updating the sitting room from pink/white to blue/ yellow.
Thanks for reminding me, roseroyal. Diana updated only her sitting room, but I remember reading too that the main color of the room was going to be shades of blue.

Tags
coleherne court, diana princess of wales, kensington palace, lady diana spencer, london, pets, princess diana, transport