Diana and Sophie, Countess of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Diana need a reason to say unkind things? Not really - she would lash out at anyone who she felt like e.g. Tiggy Legge-Bourke and the abortion comment.

Exactly, it's been known that one day, someone could be Diana's dear friend and the next morning he/she was totally frozen out for an unknown reason. She told Sophie at one point that Sophie would never make it in the Royal Family and she was just being lead on. Remember also, this was in the Ninetie's and the War of the Wales was at the height of it's ugliness. Sophie was beginning to receive quite a bit of press coverage as Edward's girlfriend because it was beginning to be assumed that Edward would never marry. I won't get into it because that's off topic for this thread.
I believe that Diana was feeling as if she was taking second place in behind Sophie in the press and the Firm as well, when Tiggy was taking care of her sons when they were with Charles she felt that her place as a mother was jeopardized. Neither was true, but then she lashed out at Sophie and Tiggy with the cutting remarks.
Was Diana right in her actions and did I support her? No, it was irrational and immature and when these revelations among others came out, I think it did tend to tarnish her some.
Sophie is a favorite of the Queen as she regularly gone riding with Her Majesty and has shown support to the Queen and established a genuine relationship. The Queen tried to support Diana and was fond of Diana, but had grown to becoming bewildered at her actions and then after the Panorama interview, Diana lost the Queen's sympathy.

I think it did tend to tarnish her some.

Some? Just some? :ermm: These revelations regarding Diana should be clear evidence that she was not 'Diana the Good and Abused' - yet, inexplicably, she remains revered by so many who simply do not see that they were profoundly manipulated by her, in a deliberate way.

Does anyone else think that the announcement of Edward's and Sophie's engagement had to be continually postponed because of the drama surrounding the Waleses that was rampant at the time? The announcement would have meant a wedding shortly after and that couldn't happen while all the Wales stuff was raging, I have thought, so that she appeared to be waiting for a proposal when in fact it had occurred.

The subject of this thread is Sophie's relationship with Diana.

It is not to compare the two, to talk about Diana or her motives.

Let's stay on topic.

To be quite honest if the two barely knew each other how could they have had a relationship?

Last edited:
To be quite honest if the two barely how could they have had a relationship?

Well, that's it, how much did they have to do with each other? If Diana was leaving the family and Sophie was arriving - how many meetings could there have been? Or is it a relationship of the perception that each had of the other?

She told Sophie at one point that Sophie would never make it in the Royal Family and she was just being lead on.

When did Diana tell Sophie that?

Last edited:
Or is it a relationship of the perception that each had of the other?

That's probably what it was. Wasn't it around 1994 that Edward started to publicly appear with her? I read I think in Tina Brown's book that on the few times Diana and Sophie saw each other, Diana was very curious about her and said to someone that Sophie was going to be her replacement. Brown also wrote that Diana often times stared at Sophie but never mentioned that the two spoke to one another. There is one picture of the two together at Sarah Chatto's wedding back in 94. But it appeared that they weren't interacting with each other. Diana was smiling at something in front of her and Sophie was watching where she was stepping.
Really all this is just speculation as we can't be 100% certain.

The incidents were reported in the Daily Mirror in December 1993, after the exclusive of the News of the World that Edward was going to marry unknown royal girlfriend, Sophie Rhys-Jones.
Recently if came to light again in Andrew Morton's book, Princess in Love pp.108-109. It was also refered to by Paul Burrell in an interview on American radio, it is possibly in her book, The way we were.
So it kind of comes down to who you believe.

Sorry but I don't think anything like that was reported in the Mirror.
Sorry but Andrew Morton did not write Princess in Love.It was written by Anna Pasternak and Sophie Rhys Jones was never mentioned in her book inlcuding on either of those pages.

It is not in Paul Burrell's book either.

The whole story and premise for it are false.

It is Prince Charles who had it in for Sophie and reportedly still does.

'Silly ' Sophie faces gag after William film fiasco; Courtiers stunned as Countess tries to shift blame from Edward's company. - Free Online Library

It has emerged that Buckingham Palace became so concerned that Bolland might be undermining members of the royal family that it dispatched Richard Luce, the lord chamberlain, with the authority of the Duke of Edinburgh, for private talks with the prince.
According to one source, Luce made it clear at the meeting in early November that Bolland was being blamed for “causing havoc” with his briefings, which were said to be “viciously cruel” to the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Prince Charles defies palace to keep his PR guru Bolland | United Kingdom & Europe

It was claimed by Sophie that Chas PR guru , Mark bolland,was the one who set her up for the SophieGate tapes.

Sophie speaks out on being compared with the late Diana, Princess of Wales

When we got engaged, they were very, very keen to put me on the empty pedestal that had been left by Princess Diana. And I don't think I could have coped with that.... Everyone said, "Gosh, doesn't she look like Diana?" Then they thought this isn't going to be much good because she's not going to be turning up every day in different outfits, opening children's homes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...amess-finally-pulled-one-string-too-many.html

There wasn't any relationship to speak of between Diana and Sophie, only between Sophie and Diana's husband. A relationship that is said to continue to this day.

Last edited:
As a reminder regarding speculation and TRF:
  • Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.
Also, let's try to stay on topic. If you wish to discuss Sophie's relationship with other members of the royal family, please do so here
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...bers-of-the-british-royal-family-15549-5.html .

Zonk
British Moderator

...for instance in their first official visit to Canada she copied Diana's dresses she first wore to Canada, including a costume for a local celebration...
I was a huge Diana fan when I was a teenager. Sophie and Diana definitely have a general resemblance to each other, but it never struck me that Sophie was trying to copy Diana. Never.

As far as the Canadian trips...on most major Canadian tours, the royal lady usually wears a red suit on the first day as a tribute to Canada. On her last trip, HM waiting for Canada Day to wear the red outfit. The costumes you were referring to I imagine were Klondike outfits. Sarah wore one too to a themed BBQ. Dresses based on an historical period are going to be similiar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana's supposed remark was written in an anecdote by Ingrid Seward of Majesty in her editorial commenting on the Diana remarks to Tiggy. I'm not saying it's true, but Ingrid Seward and her late husband were close to the Royals. There are many private family get together's and private meals the Royal Family has that we aren't informed on. I can't see Diana and Sophie not exchanging any words in the several years they were around one another, but I don't know. None of us knows, we can only speculate at the most.

They're popular here in Canada. I'd certainly go to see them if they were appearing within decent driving distance.:flowers:

When one watches them there is something very centered about them and you sense that here are good people. It is a loss that they are not respected more in their own country IMO.

Her "legacy" will be her children, the people she's helped through her charitable endeavors and the soldiers in her regiments.:flowers:

I don't think she has any "legacy" other than she has royal children.

...but for instance in their first official visit to Canada ...and if I'm not mistaken one of the actual tiaras that Diana wore of the Queens. I have tried to find these photos online but have not had much luck other than to find Diana's photos... I am not the only person who has an opinion that SW does not walk on water.
Wow, from tiaras to "walking on water" eh? That's quite a leap.
However, rather than getting sidetracked into ridiculous hyperbole, let's just concentrate on a couple of simple facts:

• Diana wore just two tiaras in her royal lifetime: the Spencer and the Cambridge Lover's Knot.
• Sophie Wessex has not worn either of them.

That's why you have failed to find any evidence that Sophie wore "one of the actual tiaras that Diana wore of the Queen's."
You'll have to do better than this - your credibility gap is becoming a chasm.

I can't believe this topic went on and on... I hadn't checked the RFs for two days, oh my! :ohmy: I'd actually like to welcome Hissy here, your opinions and thoughts are always welcome and matter as much as ours! :flowers: On the other hand, the way you 'started' at the RFs seems a bit odd to me. I mean, the way you brought up this old topic and all this effort from you to prove what?? That Sophie is not Saint?? That she used to emulate Diana?? I haven't really understood yet... Well, seeing all that just made me wonder: What bugs this person?! :ermm: No offense meant. Honestly.

You'll soon find out that liking a certain royal doesn't necessarily mean that we think (s)he is saint or perfect or blameless, impeccable, you name it etc. We can all express and support our points of view, without insulting the other posters' intelligence, IMO. Happy posting! :)

I always found Sophie was more like a spitting image of the tv presenter Jill Dando rather than Diana, though I can see why many people saw such a resemblance with Diana. I don't think it was anything done on purpose by Sophie to try & take Diana's place or something. At least that's the impression I've always got from Sophie, she doesn't seem the type to me who'd want to copy Diana in that sense or try to emulate her etc. I've always liked both her & Edward, they've had their problems but moved on & settled into what seems a happy family situation & do a lot of work for their various interests, they seem lovely too I think.

Yes, you're so right about Sophie looking like Jill Dando! Sophie's always struck me as a rather down-to-earth person and not the sort of person who'd mimic another to get noticed. I think that the press initially picked up on some mannerisms between Sophie and Diana in order to try to recapture some of the early Diana "magic" to sell papers. But once they realized that Sophie was a different sort of character, they stopped doing that. I'm sure that we all make sideways glances on occasion or look up when our chins are pointed towards our chest. It doesn't mean that we're trying to look like Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sophie and Diana

Sophie and Diana I think at the time this picture was taking then did look alike...http://up.iranblog.com/7/1264915505.jpg
I think they do have a resemblance in this particular picture. I remember when the Wessex engagement was announced, and I remember thinking Sophie looked a bit like Diana. I rather like the color Sophie is wearing here, and having watched her over the years, rather miss seeing her in colorful outfits. I think, and this is MY OPINION ONLY, given the praise Diana's had for years for her love of her boys, that Diana would congratulate Sophie on the job she's done keeping her children out of the press.

I think they do have a resemblance in this particular picture. I remember when the Wessex engagement was announced, and I remember thinking Sophie looked a bit like Diana. I rather like the color Sophie is wearing here, and having watched her over the years, rather miss seeing her in colorful outfits. I think, and this is MY OPINION ONLY, given the praise Diana's had for years for her love of her boys, that Diana would congratulate Sophie on the job she's done keeping her children out of the press.
They bear a resemblance but have no theoretical similarities and I think that there may have been some identification yielding to analogy along the line ; but that has faded as well.Sophie is successful in her own right and Diana was who she was. There is much speculation about Diana and Sophie's relationship and I think that may continue sporadically.Let's hope that they have fond memories of each other and that Sophie is happy in her life;May Diana rest in peace.

I think it was the press who hoped Sophie would turn into another media star like Diana!
But, whether it was intentional or inadvertent, she never sparked the same interest that Diana or Sarah Ferguson did.

Definitely. The press did that with Viscountess Linley as well. MAJESTY magazine had her on the cover with a headline as to whether or not she was the "new Diana." Then there was an article about her style and so on. I think that Sophie didn't "spark the same interest" in part because she married the the Queen's third son, who wasn't very popular at the time, and also because she married in 1999 after all the uproar and scandal of that decade. There was more cynicism at the time of Edward and Sophie's marriage than there was during the 80s.

I think it was the press who hoped Sophie would turn into another media star like Diana!
But, whether it was intentional or inadvertent, she never sparked the same interest that Diana or Sarah Ferguson did.

I suspect that Sophie and Diana did not really have much of a relationship at all. Sophie's relationship with Edward was only made public in 1994, by which time Diana had been separated from Charles for some time. They probably met on a handful of occassions, but I really doubt if there was any material interaction between the women.

The press, no doubt, raked up the whole issue about the physical similarity between Diana and Sophie once Sophie's engagement to Edward was announced (1999?). However, I think the two women were very different individuals, and never really "competing".

As for Swessex being a "mature beauty", I will never think so. Even the Queen doesn't think so and Sophie is her favorite as I am repeatedly told.

Just wondering, how do you know what the Queen thinks? :whistling:

Ha! Hello Sternchen! No, I don't know what the Queen thinks. I was referring to a comment the Queen made about how you wouldn't notice SW in a room of people (kind way of saying she's unremarkable.) I like your innocent :whistling:!

;)

I don't buy the Diana interrogating Sophie in from of the Queen, QM and Margaret she just wouldn't do it. The woman had manners she may off asked a question or two but I doubt it was anything like what has been written. Going by the story the Queen was happy enough to sit there and listen and not do anything something else I don't buy! She can handle polititions she could handle Diana. Besides how long does it take to look at a car? This also happened in 93 Diana was already seperated from Charles she may off been trying to warn her some way but I don't believe she did anything so cruel or stupid and then tell everyone about it. It is true about Sophie she is unnoticable always has been even her wedding was blah. We only heard a lot about her when she had that troubled pregnancy and then when the babies were born.

I remember comparisons being made when Sophie was first known to be Edward's girlfriend: a blonde, blue-eyed young woman being chased to and from work by the press. I remember a quote from one photographer saying that the resemblance was eerie--until Sophie turned her back toward them.;)

The press, no doubt, raked up the whole issue about the physical similarity between Diana and Sophie once Sophie's engagement to Edward was announced (1999?). However, I think the two women were very different individuals, and never really "competing".

It is true about Sophie she is unnoticable always has been even her wedding was blah.

A bit of a thread-nap, I know, but just have to say: I thought the wedding was charming. Loved her tiara - so understated. The little girls and boys she had dressed in white with black capes were unexpectedly appealing. When the couple was walking out of the church you can see a radiant smile on one of the little girls - so sweet.

Also - truth to say, I am not a particular fan of how the Queen dresses :ohmy: - but at the Wessex wedding, I loved the color she chose and her hat was great (I'm not a hat person, either, but that hat was lovely). And the Queen was clearly happy.

Who knows what is really said behind closed doors. However, it's now commonly known that Diana called reporters. I wouldn't be surprised if she felt some level of jealously at Sophie -- for any number of reasons. As we now know, Diana was not the most stable of women.

Diana was, probably, not always stable, but she would have always outshone Sophie. Maybe Sophie didn't care. They often look alike, too bad for Sophie. Diana was first. Sophie was fortunate to have more stability and a husband who didn't have a lover.

Back
Top Bottom