The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2016, 03:01 AM
Royal Highness

Well, each young woman who has married into the Firm has been compared to Diana. Sarah was compared to Diana the minute she and Andrew were reported to be seeing one another. Sarah looked nothing like Diana, but everything she wore, what she did, her royal duties were compared to Diana. Sophie came along and since she had blond hair that was somewhat similar, she was immediately a "rival" to Diana.
I remember just finding out about Edward and Sophie by a headline screaming that Sophie was scheming to take over Diana's "place in popularity". Really? I'm sure that Edward started to take an interest in Sophie and they began a serious relationship so she could overtake his ex-sister-in-law as being more famous and popular. I think that after just celebrating their 17 year anniversary, that wasn't the case.
The point being, the press suggested and pushed a rivalry because it sells papers and magazines. I liked Diana a lot and I admit over the years I've grown to accept that she wasn't always perfect and she had her bad points too. Could she have been jealous of Sophie? Perhaps. She had the same feelings and insecurities we all do. Diana was divorced and not a real part of the Royals at that time and to have the press make a fuss over Edward's new girlfriend had to sting a bit.
Diana did a wonderful job as Princess of Wales, Sophie has done an equally fine job. Yes, she did have slip ups when she was younger with the fake shiekh and her PR firm, she learned from it and followed the advice to take on Royal duties, it was probably a huge loss of face as it would be for any of us who have made some dumb mistakes, but she did and had made a success for herself and the Royal Family.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:05 AM
Serene Highness

Oh I'm sure Diana was a bit jealous of Sophie. Here was this girl who seemed to be able to get on with the RF much better than she had, who appeared at the pont where SHE was leaving the RF... but I think that at her best Di was a great Princess and at best Sophie is average. And Diana's mistakes, while I deprecate tehm, were IMO the outcome of desperate unhappiness and her being a bit mentally fragile, rather than a simple "wanting to make money" which was what seems to have caused Sophie's mistakes...

Old 07-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Oh I'm sure Diana was a bit jealous of Sophie. Here was this girl who seemed to be able to get on with the RF much better than she had, who appeared at the pont where SHE was leaving the RF... but I think that at her best Di was a great Princess and at best Sophie is average. And Diana's mistakes, while I deprecate tehm, were IMO the outcome of desperate unhappiness and her being a bit mentally fragile, rather than a simple "wanting to make money" which was what seems to have caused Sophie's mistakes...
Diana was jealous of a lot of people by the looks of it. She was jealous of Sarah as she got on well with the Queen and jealous of Sophie for meeting a guy and getting on well with his family too. Shock horror - a girlfriend who makes a big effort to get on with her boyfriend's family.

I think this is where her underlying "jealousy" to Sophie and other women lay. She was afraid Sophie would become the "people's princess" and Diana would lose her position with the public. This was unlikely to happen as Edward was and still is quite unknown. Sophie was never going to gain the levels of popularity or fame that Diana had as future Queen. I always felt she came across as quite manipulative of the press and the public and they all fell for it.

It's sad that this woman who was probably underneath it all a lovely person, was so wrapped up in royal life and her position that she failed to see the bigger picture.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Royal Highness

How on earth could we know how she felt about anyone if she was jealous or not. Truly so much crap!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
How on earth could we know how she felt about anyone if she was jealous or not. Truly so much crap!

My jealousy comment was sarcastic - she was supposedly jealous of lots of women for many reasons. I said it in relation to Sophie and Sarah apparently getting on better with their mother in law than Diana.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Royal Highness

I wasn't really replying to you the thing is so many people do think they know. It's something they read or someone said or she looked like she was etc etc. We don't know anything it's all 2nd or 3rd hand unless we were there and I think that cuts out nearly everyone unless we have some royals on here in disguise mmm let me guess ! Best I don't I might inflate egos 💐

Old 07-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Agree, would be better if comments were by default prefixed with "imo" and only very specific posts in some newsthreads as "fact"
This is not unique to this thread though and happens in practically all threads on these forums (well maybe with the exception of the "One Word" thread )
Old 07-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Doubt she wanted to replace Diana, and she doesn't need 1/10th of her popularity.
She's in a completely different position.
I think that she does need popularity, all royals do. and she has a certain amount, but it is nothing like that big wild popularity that Di had. and it is possible that she had hopes of being well loved and popular with the public as she was young reasonable looking and coming into the RF as a youngish wife when Diana had died and sarah had been removed... There was a gap fror several years, for a lively attractive lovable female figure, until Will and HArry got to the age of having girlfriends and wives..
Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think that she does need popularity, all royals do. and she has a certain amount, but it is nothing like that big wild popularity that Di had. and it is possible that she had hopes of being well loved and popular with the public as she was young reasonable looking and coming into the RF as a youngish wife when Diana had died and sarah had been removed... There was a gap fror several years, for a lively attractive lovable female figure, until Will and HArry got to the age of having girlfriends and wives..
I disagree wholeheartedly that Sophie in any way wanted or needed to court public publicity and popularity for herself. She was used to being in the public eye before meeting Edward and would have probably realized just how fleeting public popularity is. Diana courted public recognition, fed on it and, IMO, it was the measure of her worth in many ways to her. Sophie's priorities didn't include that. Her priorities were her husband, her family and what she could do for the Firm.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 AM
Serene Highness

Ha? Everyone In the RF needs popularity. What is goig to happen o them, if no one cares or comes to see their engagemetns and the press doesn't take much notice of them. I dioubt if S was that bothered about "the firm".. IMO what she wanted was for her OWN firm to do well
Old 07-07-2016, 05:16 AM
Majesty

Ouch! That's pretty mean. I would venture to say that every single businessman or woman wants and needs their business to succeed and originally the Wessexes were the trial for a royal prince to be a businessman. However, unlike the Netherlands, the UK wasn't ready for a "private" princely family and tabloid accusations of trading on the royal family were loud and ugly.

After making many adjustments to their businesses they basically adjusted themselves out of business. After that they settled to raise a family and be on hand for the 'Firm'. Noone can fault Sophie for her commitment to the 'Firm'.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Yeah but as Osipi said, Diana fed of pubic popularity you could just see it in her. Sophie is the exact opposite, she's not the kind of person who needs recognition from others to feel good about what she's doing.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Diana was very much in it for herself. Many, many examples have been given on how she'd pour over every inch of publicity written about her and get angry over negative press and not so flattering pictures. She fed on public opinion constantly whereas the other royal females don't.
Oh come, now. I don't believe that a shrinking violet is ever likely to marry into a family where they know they are going to be watched ad in the press. And as for Dianas getting upset about bad press or unlovely shots of herself, I doubt if any woman likes seeing an unflattering photo of herself or getting negative press.. so I doubt if Kate or Sophie are indifferent as to whether the press and public likes them or whether there's a pic of them looking like the back end of a bus.

Diana took the job seriously. yes she did need popularity, on a psychological level, because she was unhappy and needed the public admiration and validition. But she also IMO knew that her job WAS about publicising the RF and the causes she was working for and to do that, she had to look good and come across as attractive and pleasant to talk to and interact with. She was a bit awkward at first, but she grew into the role and learned more about the charities she worked for, how to speak in public (she was never really brilliant at this but she tried hard) and how to dress and carry herself well. she may not have been clever or well educated but she learned the Princess job.. and did it brilliantly well.
I think there were times, esp when she was a young wife, that she'd rather have been able to stay home and look after her children, all the time, than to be on tours or engagements, but her marriage wasn't happy and she did throw herself into the work...
Old 07-16-2016, 03:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Ouch! That's pretty mean. I would venture to say that every single businessman or woman wants and needs their business to succeed
After making many adjustments to their businesses they basically adjusted themselves out of business. After that they settled to raise a family and be on hand for the 'Firm'. Noone can fault Sophie for her commitment to the 'Firm'.
Ed and Sophie's business ventures were a failure. He committed the faux pas of having his film company following Will around at St Andrews when the PRESS had agreed to leave Will alone. I am sure that Charles was furious about that and William too. Sophie made the gruesome mistake of the Fake Sheik interview, talking indiscreetly and her business was also a failure and left her with massive debts. So she has to work for "the Firm.." no choice...

Tags
countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, princess diana, relationships, sophie, sophie countess of wessex