The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

It's also a daughter in law versus a granddaughter in law. Edward is bring Sophie to meet his parents. William did the same thing with Kate. She is going to be initially closer to William immediate family - Charles and Harry before moving on meeting the Queen and Philip. I was just thinking about Kate attending events like Peter's wedding and Garter Day as a girlfriend which in the past she wouldn't have attended without being engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 06-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's also a daughter in law versus a granddaughter in law. Edward is bring Sophie to meet his parents. William did the same thing with Kate. She is going to be initially closer to William immediate family - Charles and Harry before moving on meeting the Queen and Philip. I was just thinking about Kate attending events like Peter's wedding and Garter Day as a girlfriend which in the past she wouldn't have attended without being engaged.

Yeah, I just think the many years Sophie knew the family and in a more public way made a little difference though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
But she did seem to copy her look and there was a very slight similarty. Sophie is average looking adn Diana was striking. I beleive that Diana did mention that she had noted that Sophie was imitating her look
Wait a minute . Is it me or are we throwing the lovely contess of Wessex under a bus to favorise Diana ? "Average looking" what the hell is that ?
The Diana offensive seen lately on various threads is getting out of hand imo.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

ah, i thought it was just me who had that feeling there seems to be a separate thread for every person Diana had some sort of relationship with
Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Sophie was welcomed by the family very early on and was pictured with them on a regular bases. William and Catherine conducted their relationship more privately, so she wasn't pictured and included with the family in the same way. Sophie was pretty much welcomed as a daughter-in law by The Queen and Prince Philip before her marriage into the family.

I think it's one of the reasons why Sophie have two Knighthoods from The Queen pretty much early on. Their personal relationship goes back to the early 90's.

I think the Queen encouraged Edward to bring Sophie and to introduce to their lifestyle quite early on, essentially so Sophie would know what she was "letting herself in for". Marrying a royal, be it little known Prince Edward or the well known Prince William, involves giving up a huge part of your life - anonymity. Edward said in an interview very early on in his relationship with Sophie that you have no idea how precious your anonymity is until you lose it.

There was always the thought that Diana and Sarah were not prepared as such for royal life and that's partly why their marriages ended. The Queen did not want to see another divorce in her family, thus allowing Sophie to move freely with Edward. Although they strongly deny living together, Sophie spent a lot of time at Buckingham Palace in Edward's apartment. The Church even went as far as to say it was wrong of the Queen to allow them to be under the same roof, allowing "temptation" to take over, which as we know is very much frowned upon by the bible. I just think the Queen wanted this relationship to work (and so far 20 odd years later it has!).

I don't think we'll ever know what Sophie thought of Diana as I doubt she will ever voice these feelings unless she's in an interview after her divorce, if it were to happen.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

You make some excellent points Molly.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Didn't Sophie make a reference to Diana in the fake Sheik tapes or am I mistaken?

I don't follow Sophie so... or maybe Sophie made a reference about the Queen. Something about the 'old girl'?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

The 'old girl' was, I think, a reference to the Queen Mum.

I think the Queen did permit Edward and Sophie to be more open with their relationship, Andrew and Charles both married relatively soon and so I think learning from that the Queen was more willing to allow Ed & Sophie to be together for much longer to ensure they were both fully committed and happy before marrying.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Sarah told CNN, her and Andrew only had dinner together 6 times together before their marriage.

It seems like a hundred years ago, but this was only the 80s and Charles and Andrew basically went into their marriages blind.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Majesty

They're different women and both beautiful. I'd hardly describe Sophie as "average looking".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Wait a minute . Is it me or are we throwing the lovely contess of Wessex under a bus to favorise Diana ? "Average looking" what the hell is that ?
The initial report was that Sophie referred to the Queen Mother as the "old dear"; but when the transcript was released, she called her Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. The reference to Diana was when Sophie was first on the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don't follow Sophie so... or maybe Sophie made a reference about the Queen. Something about the 'old girl'?
Word by word, Sophie digs herself deeper into trouble | Politics | The Guardian
Old 06-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Royal Highness

I think all we need now is a Diana and everyone she ever spoke to thread and we will have a thread for every minute of her life. It's getting really over the top

Old 06-24-2016, 05:19 AM
Heir Apparent

There are a lot of Diana threads, but they've almost all been going a long time. For instance, this one began in 2007. The thread dealing with her death, transfer of body etc started in 2003. Most of the others began in the mid 2000's; 2004/5 etc. So there must have been posters feeling that there was a need for them at the time, and they're still active now.

There might be a case for merging some, perhaps. For instance, I don't think there is really a need for separate threads for Diana's relationships with Sophie, Sarah, the Queen etc.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:03 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

If we were to create the threads now - yes, there would be no need to have individual threads for individual relationships.

But going on a decade after some of these threads were created, merging them together now would be chaos as the discussion would be incredibly disjointed.

Very few of the Diana threads will be changing at this point.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:51 AM
Serene Highness

I dont see anyting wrong with this. Diana's relationships with different people are imporatnt in her story.. IF people aren't interested in her, or dont like her, they do not have to read them.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
She's average looking. Not a beauty and not plain. I think she did try and look a bit like Diana who was a fashion leader at the time. I dont think she's lovely either as a person or in looks.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She's average looking. Not a beauty and not plain. I think she did try and look a bit like Diana who was a fashion leader at the time. I dont think she's lovely either as a person or in looks.

It really baffles me that one could look at any known fact about the Countess of Wessex and conclude that she might not be a pleasant person.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
It really baffles me that one could look at any known fact about the Countess of Wessex and conclude that she might not be a pleasant person.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree - physically she is a beautiful woman with a lovely smile. She always seems pleasant to the people she meets and many people have commented that she makes an effort to try and talk to everyone and greet as many people as possible.

Obviously we don't know her personally, nor will any of us ever know her, but the person she presents to the public comes across as very nice. Yes she was seen possibly arguing with a bodyguard - a photo paints a million pictures though. Who's to say the bodyguard hadn't been rude to her? Who's to say she the conversation was actually perfectly polite but the photographer captured her mid sentence? Perhaps she was extremely PMT? We will never know. Usually, however, Sophie portrays herself as a kind, caring person and she's been very good for Edward who always came across as quite stuffy and uppity. Since meeting Sophie he's been much more down to earth and the public enjoy meeting him. He seems very funny, unlike Andrew whose permanently got a sour face on.

Diana was the same - to the public she was lovely and caring and always spoke to the children/elderly/sick. In private, however, we don't know what she was REALLY like. Yes we have "friends" of her who have provided interviews and may have said negative things, but I for one would not consider that person my friend if they're willing to say these things about me just to get some level of fame.

People either like Diana or they don't - the same for Sophie. Sophie will always be seen as the girl who tried to look like Diana. Whether she did it on purpose or not, she came out the other side and found a perfectly good place for herself in the royal family and as far as we can see, the Queen actually likes her. I am sure had Diana lived and remained married, she and Sophie would have had a cordial relationship. I do think though that Sophie would have gotten on better with Sarah, although I feel had all 3 women been in-laws together, Sophie would have been sidelined at many occasions. That's just a personal opinion though.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
That's your opinion (rather despicable but that's MY opinion) , but at the end Sophie has proven herself to be an asset for the BRF, despite your obvious disdain toward her. Let's face it, she 's a better royal than Diana, and even the Queen would agree with that.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Guys, why do you fall for the same crap over and over again?

You all don't have have to tear one woman down to build another up. We see this in our society a lot. It's like people feel there's no room for two people to be great assets to the royal family. We don't have to put one woman against another and try to make it seem one was more beautiful than the other.

Diana did her job when she was Princess of Wales. She supported The Prince of Wales and represented The Queen around the UK and Commonwealth. She connected with the people and the people connected with her. Now, Sophie is pretty doing the same thing. Both Diana and Sophie are different and bring their own personalities to the table, but they both were/are great assets to the Monarchy in their own ways.

Don't try to make it seem like one of better than the other. The women who you're talking about wouldn't like it and wouldn't encourage others to do so.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

wel I am not pitting one against another. Diana had her faults but she was in many ways a great asset to the RF, till she fell out with them. But Sophie has never shone IMO and what she and Ed are best known for is pursuing their commerical careers, making a hash of them and leaving huge debts. Till the queen clearly had to rein them in, tell them to stop being in business and do royal duties in exchange for her helping them financially.

Tags
countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, princess diana, relationships, sophie, sophie countess of wessex