Diana and Sons Picture Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She continued on being a loving mother, friend and humanitarian.

Perhaps, although personally I do not believe loving mothers should dump all their cares and woes onto their minor children, and I do not believe a true friend is one who drops people and ignores them for months and then gets back in contact as if nothing had happened and expects to pick up where they left off.

Perhaps, although personally I do not believe loving mothers should dump all their cares and woes onto their minor children, and I do not believe a true friend is one who drops people and ignores them for months and then gets back in contact as if nothing had happened and expects to pick up where they left off.

We all can agree to disagree on Diana telling her young sons about her problems. Perhaps she felt like they were the only people she could talk to.

Sometimes friends fall out with each other on a regular bases and sometimes don't talk to each for a while. From my experience, that pretty much normal. Also we don't know the personal situations Diana and her close friends went through.

Totally agree.

She spent very little time actually raising her sons so they were always in holiday mode with her and then she dumps all her problems on them.

The number of 'dropped' friends is a long list while those who were 'close' friends in very few - that says a lot about her - all a one way friendship and if anyone dared to say anything slightly negative they were dropped regardless of how good the friendship had been beforehand.

Agree. That another reason to the list of why I did not like Diana and was never a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are going through personal issues, sometimes you push away those close to you. Then again, we really don't know all or any of the very private and personal problems Diana and her friends had.

Also, Diana was heavily involved and hands on with helping Charles raise William and Harry. It wasn't all expensive vacations. She was taken away from them too soon. Although, Charles carried on raising the boys the way he and Diana wanted them to be raised.

Neither Charles nor Diana were hands on in raising the boys - they were sent to boarding school aged 8 so spent about 12 weeks a year with their parents and that was half each from 1992 - so each spent about 6 weeks with them and Diana spent most of that time on expensvie vacations with them and even when at home it was still 'holiday' mode.

The people who raised those boys were the teachers and their peers at boarding school - as happens to all kids sent away from home to be raised by others.

They also had nannies for when they were at home - so time with Mum and Dad was always the holiday style rather than the day to day nitty gritty of homework and school etc.

The Princess of Wales taking Prince Harry out for a ride in the country:
Princess Diana

Looks like this was taken at Sandringham. Sandringham was one of Diana's favorite places to visit and relax. I think because she was born and raised on the estate.

Picture:
The Princess of Wales & Prince William Summer 1997-
Diana and William, 1997. Oh what a pair they could...

The Princess of Wales taking Prince Harry out for a ride in the country:
Princess Diana

Looks like this was taken at Sandringham. Sandringham was one of Diana's favorite places to visit and relax. I think because she was born and raised on the estate.
I somehow missed the first picture when it was posted. I love it because Diana does not look like Princess Diana. She looks like a ordinary mom on holiday. Rare.

Love the second picture. Diana looks amazing in the pink coat.

Yeah, it's nice to see Diana and Harry in a relaxed mode in the country. I think people may have thought Diana was always glammed up but she was just like everyone else on her time off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of us remember her as a decidedly non-glammed up person, in her time. Naturally, she ended up growing toward the media-propelled images, but it didn't seem to be the true Diana.

Diana's star shaped cowlick really shows in that third picture. ;)

1985..???

I like the fact that Charles and Diana have placed their two sons on the pony.
Also what is nice is the fact that with an extra brother on the pony, if one Prince is a little hesitant, he has a brother who can smile at him for encouragement.

Lovely, lovely photos. Whatever her other faults she was a devoted mum!

Totally agree.

She spent very little time actually raising her sons so they were always in holiday mode with her and then she dumps all her problems on them.

The number of 'dropped' friends is a long list while those who were 'close' friends in very few - that says a lot about her - all a one way friendship and if anyone dared to say anything slightly negative they were dropped regardless of how good the friendship had been beforehand.

I Simply cannot agree -that is simply not the case about her sons. She spent as much time with them as she could and was certainly a more hands on mother, than many upper class women. She loved being with them, and she was if possible the one who got up in the night to tend them when they were babies. Charles too, at least when they were very little, seems to have spent a fair bit of time in the nursery, giving bottles and playing with them.

Diana had to let them go to Boarding school, that was a given and she had to let them spend time iwht their father and the queen, after the separation. That was a given.
She did not "dump all her problems on them." She did talk to William about her life, because she beleived he was very mature.. what's wrong with that? It sounds like you're saying that she came home and said "Oh William Im having this problem with thte queen can't you go and sort it for me". or "William, i need soemone to carry coal in for me" or "tell your father such and such from me..." "Or "WIlliam I'm having a row with someone at work, I want you to go and intervene."

It was nothing like that. She talked ot them about her life, about what was going on, if they liked her boyfriends etc. Why should she not? if she did remarry, she wanted her boys to get on with whoever the man was. Perhaps she did lean on William a bit, but a lot of women who have no husband tend to put a bit more on the eldest child.. I don't think that it is so terrible unless she was ringing him up every day with problems.. or asking him to intervene in ways that would be inappropriate and stressful for a young child..

As for friends yes she was demanding, but she was also, as friends have testified a very loving giving friend as well.
She often did quarrel with people and as Rosa Moncton's said, if the friend had problems Diana would often turn up again, forget the quarrel and do her best to help. So it is just not fair or right, to say that her friendships were one sided. She was afraid of disloyalty, I agree and that made her suspicious of people.. and when she felt that a friend was crticising her or worse still talking about her behind her back, she got frightened and angry and would fall out with them.
But while such behavior was wrong, it was understandable. She knew that people in her life were often seduced into talking to the press, and she feared that they might say things that damaged her..
Her boyfriend James Hewitt was disloyal to her, her butler snooped around in her things, I think it was hard for her to know whom to trust and not surprising that she was jumpy and often did fall out with people...
But she did try to give to her friends as well as take from them, emotionally and pracitacally. When Rosa had a child with Downs Syndrome, she turned up with stuff she had found out, organisaitons that could help and so on. She offered to be the child's godmother. When Rosa lost a baby, she again turned up with helpful suggestions, that Rosa should give the baby a name and a burial service, to help with her grief...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom