The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Wink Diana and Sarah's relationship

I was wondering about the relationship between Sarah Ferguson and Diana. They seemed to have similar experiences like mariage and then divorce. I've heard that they went together on a trip in France all alone, with no men. They stayed in the residence "Clos de Meaux" in the Var, owned by Paddy MAC NALLY. And the best in story is the almost absence of photo. The paparazzi had some big problems to take shots; even helicopter tours were organized to fly over the private property. But no luck, Di and Fergie were too smart for them this time !

Here's a video on it (sorry only in french ) :
Lady di et Sarah vacances cote azur - Ina - Archives pour tous

(sorry for the bad english ...)

Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Gentry

They were very good friends, although Sarah said that when Diana died they weren't speaking to each other. I don't remember the *exact* story but it had to do with Sarah borrowing Diana's shoes and then Sarah said she caught warts from wearing them. Sarah told the WRONG person, although if it was media or a mutual friend, I don't know. Either way, Diana found out and reportedly didn't speak to her after that. They had grown up together in the same social circle and Diana is given the credit for introducing Andrew to Sarah.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiep
They were very good friends, although Sarah said that when Diana died they weren't speaking to each other. I don't remember the *exact* story but it had to do with Sarah borrowing Diana's shoes and then Sarah said she caught warts from wearing them. Sarah told the WRONG person, although if it was media or a mutual friend, I don't know. Either way, Diana found out and reportedly didn't speak to her after that. They had grown up together in the same social circle and Diana is given the credit for introducing Andrew to Sarah.
Sarah included the story in her autobiography. Whle I think Diana way overreacted, I can't say I blame her for having been upset. There was absolutely no reason for Sarah to have mentioned it, other than to embarass Diana, and as a publishing 'hook'. I don't think anyone wants to have a little, unflattering tidbit like that revealed by a friend in a book.

For the record, they didn't grow up together. Sarah and Diana met when Charles and Diana were dating. Even if they had met as children, they wouldn't have socialized: they lived in different counties, went to different boarding schools, and moved in different social circles.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
Sarah included the story in her autobiography. Whle I think Diana way overreacted, I can't say I blame her for having been upset. There was absolutely no reason for Sarah to have mentioned it, other than to embarass Diana, and as a publishing 'hook'. I don't think anyone wants to have a little, unflattering tidbit like that revealed by a friend in a book.

For the record, they didn't grow up together. Sarah and Diana met when Charles and Diana were dating. Even if they had met as children, they wouldn't have socialized: they lived in different counties, went to different boarding schools, and moved in different social circles.
I remember reading somewhere that Sarah and Diana were cousins and met and new each other during the 70s.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
I remember reading somewhere that Sarah and Diana were cousins and met and new each other during the 70s.
They might be distant cousins...not sure of the lineage there. Diana said she met Sarah when she started dating Charles. Sarah said they met when they were younger. But, in all the accounts of both their lives, there's never been any indication that they were friends before Charles and Diana got together, so I tend to believe Diana's version. Of course, there's the difference between being friends and having simply met a few times-and I think Diana was referring to their friendship beginning in 1980/1981.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The guy who was taped talking to Diana in the Squidgygate tapes kept warning Diana about not letting Sarah ride her coattails and Diana assured him that she wasn't going to let Sarah fool her. I believe it was in 1989?

It was a little surprising then to see the two ladies later pal around like buddies. Once the tape was released, I imagine there was some coldness between the two since it appeared from the conversation that Diana thought Sarah was taking advantage of her. If she really thought that, then I don't know how genuine her friendship with Sarah really was.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Nobility

I always thought the same thing, Ysbel. Diana and Sarah always seemed to have a competition as opposed to a true friendship. Partly, I think, because they had such contrasting personalities: Diana was manipulative and Sarah was straightforward. But, sadly, I think that Diana had very few true friendships over the course of her life-she tended to abandon those who wanted the normal give and take of friendship.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Nobility

Diana had alot of friends but yes, she had very few true "friends". I think Lucia Flecha de Lima was the true friend she could count on.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiep
I heard the same story, about Sarah borrowing Diana's shoes and getting planter's warts. But what a silly thing to get mad at each other over! But I also heard that after Sarah's seperation that they didn't speak much, as Sarah wasn't a member of the royal family and Diana was (for the time).
Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes it's stupid even more when you look at some pics where they seemed to have fun together ...

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder if Sarah felt sorry at all when Diana died... Or if Diana ever had any remorse.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

She probably felt sorry because when somebody dies even if you don't like that person you feel a little sad (well that's what I think). I'm sure both of them today would think that story was just a silly thing.

Because it matters...
Old 07-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

At a skiing holiday where Fergie, Diana, Charles and Andrew (I think) were, Diana had a cold and didn't want to go out. Charles was convinced that she was faking it and told her : 'Why can't you be like Sarah ?', who was on that day quite 'jolly'. IMO, it's since that moment the 2 were in competition. I remember reading that Fergie was playing tricks that Diana would even thought of, she would persuad her to do it with her but in the end Fergie would ran off and leave Diana in trouble.That's why perhaps Diana was getting tired of paying for Sarah's bad jokes.

Because it matters...
Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Aristocracy

I think Diana and Sarah had a good relationship
Old 07-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Courtier

In 1997 the Princess gave a birthday party for her friend David Tang, the Hong Kong entrepreneur, and told him he could ask anyone he wanted.
"Anyone?" he asked.
"Anyone."
"All right, then—Fergie."
"Absolutely not," Diana replied, and would not be moved.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
In 1997 the Princess gave a birthday party for her friend David Tang, the Hong Kong entrepreneur, and told him he could ask anyone he wanted.
"Anyone?" he asked.
"Anyone."
"All right, then—Fergie."
"Absolutely not," Diana replied, and would not be moved.
I think that totally describes the state of mind in what both women were. Sarah would have, I think, replied the same thing.

Because it matters...
Old 07-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

I had read that Diana wanted to bring Sarah and Andrew together and hoped that the relationship would lead to marriage and then Diana felt she would have an ally in the Windsor family. I can't say that this is the truth though as it was in a magazine article and we all know they always carry the true story. To me, Diana's and Sarah's friendship seemed to cool dramatically after Sarah's scandalous pictures with John Bryan. I didn't know about the plantar's wart story.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, she definaltely encourage their relationship but if they (Sarah and Andrew) didn't like each other, no marriage would have been possible so she didn't force them, IMO. Another thing was said about her. Fergie was suspected to be more in love of the Royal Family than Andrew. She made her friend by looking at the PR of the person. It's why she never complained about going hiking, fishing, etc. because it was with the RF. Diana couldn't understand that a girl who was like her could enjoy those activities.

Because it matters...
Old 07-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Courtier

http://pdf.lahamag.com/pages/07-2007/354People09.pdf

It was too good to be true...

Tags
diana princess of wales, fergie, princess diana, relationships, sarah duchess of york