The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
The betrayals and backstabbing went both ways, apparently. Tina Brown in her book "The Diana Chronicles" that was released last summer says it was Diana who alerted the paparrazzi that Sarah was vacationing in the South of France with that awful bald headed guy...John Bryant..the so-called "financial advisor and that's how the infamous toe-sucking pictures were made public.

It's really very sad. These young women wasted so much time being insecure and jealous of one another. They could have and should have helped one another so much more.
Well, I guess popularity doesn't help to stay yourself in that kind of situation. I believe both did crazy things they wouldn't have done living in an "average" life. It's just so bad that this friendship was ruined because of competition for media attention. But I'm sure of is that what Sarah felt in the abbey while Diana's coffin passed by would have been the exact feeling Diana would have shared if it had been Sarah who had died in Paris.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Well, I guess popularity doesn't help to stay yourself in that kind of situation. I believe both did crazy things they wouldn't have done living in an "average" life. It's just so bad that this friendship was ruined because of competition for media attention. But I'm sure of is that what Sarah felt in the abbey while Diana's coffin passed by would have been the exact feeling Diana would have shared if it had been Sarah who had died in Paris.

I completely agree...I also think-or hope-that given time they would have mended their relationship because they went thru so much together!

One of the many sad stories I read about that terrible night of the accident was that Sarah kept calling Diana on her cellphone over and over again, not realizing that her former sister in law was dying or dead. Sarah wanted to fly to her side immediately.....

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read that a couple of weeks before her death Diana told her friends that she was planning to give Fergie a call.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I read that a couple of weeks before her death Diana told her friends that she was planning to give Fergie a call.
I don't mean to make this piece of gossip or hearsay (or fact) into an issue, but we shouldn't try and gild the lily. The uncomfortable reality is that Diana was snubbing Sarah in the same manner that she was snubbing her mother. Whether she "planned" to give her a call or not isn't the point. In those "couple of weeks", Diana never found time to call.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Royal Highness

diana's treatment of some people just goes to show how brutal she could be in private. if the toe sucking story was the result of diana leaking information to the media then she's not the kind of friend i'd ever want. at the same time it's sad because it shows just how badly she needed help.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

She could be incredibly kind and compassionate toward people she did not know well, but to the people that were closest to her it was quite another story.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Nobility

I got the impression form Tina Brown's book that Paul Burrell was possesive about Diana-which is no revelation you can see it in his interviews but he seemed to encourage distance from Fergie and Diana's mother and most of the people she had a longterm relationship with.Now that is not to say Diana couldn't make up her own mind she had a habbit of purging people from her life when something they said or did something that rubbed her the wrong way.I would like to believe that had Diana lived she would have reconciled with at least some of the people she was on the outs with given that their children were cousins it would have been nice for Dian and Fergie to be friends again.
I don't excuse Diana throwing Fergie to the press when it suited her but had alot of good qualties along with a few bad ones.I don't think Fergie showed very good judgement covorting with Bryan either so she's not blameless on this.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I COMPLETELY agree with your assessment of the Diana/Sarah relationship and I read Tina Brown's book and I also concur with your opinion of Paul Burrell. In the early days after the Princess's death I felt so sad for him, but the more I learned about him the creepier I found him. I think Diana was so isolated and lonely and paranoid that she tended to latch on to and trust the wrong people. She had dreadful taste in men(as did Sarah, with the exception of Prince Andrew)
Old 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
diana's treatment of some people just goes to show how brutal she could be in private. if the toe sucking story was the result of diana leaking information to the media then she's not the kind of friend i'd ever want. at the same time it's sad because it shows just how badly she needed help.
Sarah shouldn't have been getting her toes sucked by a man other than her husband in the first place, then she wouldn't have been in that situation!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

That is absolutely true. It's one of the dumbest things Sarah ever did. BUT..

It was not up to her sister-in-law,her so called friend, to rat her out(if Tina Brown's book is correct that she did)

Diana at that point had so many skeletons in her own closet that it boggles the mind. Unlike Sarah, she was just too clever to get caught.

But she had way more affairs than Sarah did during her marriage!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

Depends on the assignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
That situation is unfortunately not unknown among military families however I think that another one of the members who understands the military said that Sarah had quite reasonably expected to be able to live with Andrew where he was stationed and when she wasn't allowed, it made the marriage more difficult. Elizabeth and Philip had lived together early in their marriage on a military base and the Queen later said it was one of the happiest times of her life. I don't know the rationale for why the Queen was allowed and Sarah was not but whatever the case, if Sarah expected her married life to be under one set of conditions and it turned out to follow another set of conditions, that would put a strain on the marriage. Not excusing her behavior, mind you, but just trying to understand it.
I know that in some US Army assignments soldiers were given an option of either 1 year deployment if going solo but 3 years deployment if taking a family. It would depend on Andrew's assignment. While he was shipboard as a pilot Sarah could not have gone out to sea with him but if he were working on a base then family housing may have been available. In the US Navy with submarine duty there used to be 6 month shifts where the seaman would be gone for 6 months straight then home for 6 months. The wife would be able to stay on base housing if it were the land shift. As a helicopter pilot I believe he would have had many at sea deployments so it would have been considered easier for Sarah and the girls to stay at home and establish roots with other friends/family/school etc rather than transfer all over the place.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I don't mean to make this piece of gossip or hearsay (or fact) into an issue, but we shouldn't try and gild the lily. The uncomfortable reality is that Diana was snubbing Sarah in the same manner that she was snubbing her mother. Whether she "planned" to give her a call or not isn't the point. In those "couple of weeks", Diana never found time to call.
But they were two different situations Warren, Diana had every right to snub Fergie after she told people in her book that she got a foot fungus after borrowing the Princess' socks. Was that necessary to put in her book no. Diana and Frances got into a big row over Diana dating Muslim men. And Frances supposedly called her daughter a whore. One can't blame Diana for not speaking to her mother after that. And we will never no why Diana didn't call Fergie in those last couple of weeks.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And we will never no why Diana didn't call Fergie in those last couple of weeks.
Does it really matter anymore?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Does it really matter anymore?
Thats the whole entire point we don't know so why does it matter.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Aristocracy

I read that Diana and Sarah had a goog relationship.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
But they were two different situations Warren. Diana had every right to snub Fergie.... One can't blame Diana for not speaking to her mother....
Again, you miss the point. I wasn't apportioning blame, or making excuses for certain behaviour, or stating who was right or who was wrong, or why x did what to y. Just the simple fact that Diana had very strained relations with different people at different times, and in at least two of those "fallings out of favour" the rejection was quite brutal, and in the event, final.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Royal Highness

I have to say that the more I've read about Diana, I find her to be a troubled, somewhat vindictive, and a passive aggressive person. Honestly, if she was upset with someone, she just pushed that someone out of her life; and that is a very childish way to behave. Yes, Fergie shouldn't have been getting her toes sucked (I hate just typing it out, ugguuug), but Diana, who was so miserable in her own life, should not have resented Fergie a little happiness/fun to such an extent that she leaked information. Again, very sad.
Something else that annoys me was Sarah's constantly being everywhere talking about Diana, how she loved her, thinks about her everyday, etc.....once again, Fergie latches onto someone's coattails--even though they're dead. Personally, the Royal Family was better off without either of them in the immediate picture. Neither knew how to behave.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

That's not questionable. The both should have tried to get informed or pay better attention of what was expected from them. Although we must admit that Diana really had a hard time with this because when she became part of the Royal Family, nobody, not even the RF itself, knew what she was going to do. My opinion on Diana's "aggressivness" is that before marrying at the age of 20, she was like a child, a little lost with the world surrounding her. When she entered the royal circle, it was like making a huge jump in the unknown. I think Diana wasn't prepared for this, even less than Sarah who was already 27 when she married. It's perhaps why she conclued maybe too fast that can't trust no one.

Because it matters...
Old 12-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
I COMPLETELY agree with your assessment of the Diana/Sarah relationship and I read Tina Brown's book and I also concur with your opinion of Paul Burrell. In the early days after the Princess's death I felt so sad for him, but the more I learned about him the creepier I found him. I think Diana was so isolated and lonely and paranoid that she tended to latch on to and trust the wrong people. She had dreadful taste in men(as did Sarah, with the exception of Prince Andrew)
I think it wouild be very hard for Diana to find just the right man even when there was a good man around she carried so much baggage with her it would overwhelming to most men.Her fame alone most have been daunting.Diana had that habit of clinging to the people she felt she could talk to her who wouldn't be too critical and no shock many of them were the help.I think aside from her sons and mabe her sister Sarah Diana had no one around her except Burrell with whom she was had known for a lengthy period time that gave Burrell too much influance I think in time she might have purged him from her life and brought back the people who cared for her back into her life, and I don't think that would have included Dodi and Dad
Old 12-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lol, true. But I think she knew that some people close to her, wanted to abuse of her popularity, thinking she was too dumb to discover their plans. They weren't there in the bad moments but when they had something to get out of her, they were at her feet. It may be a reason to her reactions. From my experience, I've moved 6 times and to be honest I don't have one single friend who kept in touch. Once you change of life or move somewhere else and you're no longer here, there are very few people who won't let you down but the rest ... . I don't give my friendship too easily now.

Because it matters...

Tags
diana princess of wales, fergie, princess diana, relationships, sarah duchess of york