The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2016, 03:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I between the two of them.
I remember the two couples on the annual skiing trip, Diana and Sarah started play tussling and Charles was extremely upset with the action. Then there was the disasterous "It's A Royal Knockout" tv show. Apparently, Diana wanted to appear with the Yorks, etc. and Charles put his foot down and stopped her. That was the wisest decision Charles made. I have British neighbors and we talked about that show one time years ago and they said Sarah made an absolute fool of herself and of course, Andrew, Anne and Edward weren't in the best spotlight either.
It's sad that Diana and Sarah were on bad terms at Diana's death, but I've written, Sarah goes too far and alienates herself.
honestly I think that the Royal Knockout was mild compared with the silly behaviour that Sarah indulged In...
OK it was stupid but it was for charity.. but a lot of Sarah's silliness was as you say increasingly "vulgar" and self indulgent.. and increasingly less harmless.
she did things like books that she said were for charity, but then used the money for herself.. She had affairs, and got caught at them.. and again, one of the attractions of her 2 lovers were that they were rich or said that they could make her rich..
She just is terribly silly and very early on, like the hen night, she was doing stuff that was so stupid, like dressing as a policewoman and possibly shutting the BP gates for a lark.. that you'd think someone would have really put their foot down with her and told her she had to be more careful, but I have heard that couriters said " we DO tell her what to do but she wont listen"...and I think that is true,.
Its nothing to do with who her father was, it is to do with the fact that she - in spite of having "good connextions", DIDNT seem to have a clue how to behave... and aciting like she had never had any "upbringing"...
If she had been "the daughter of a stable boy", well perhaps there might have been some excuse for her not knowing how to behave, but she wasn't.. She had gone to a good school, she was born to a "good family" as regards social connections, she had mixed with the RF on and off and was part of the upper classes, yet she really was utterly lacking in any self restraint or good manners.
she just did what she liked, regardless of consequences and even now, she is pretty silly and clearly can't manage money..ANd she DID seemed to "lead" Diana into silliness that might have damaged Di's pristine reputation at the time.. Di I think was smart enough to work out within a short time that the behaviour was vulgar and stupid ad that it was getting her bad headlines and I think that she was willing to cut off being seen with S in public..
After a short while she stopped the silly antics, but remained close to Sarah for a while. However they had the row over the shoes remark, and Di seems to have really rather unkindly refused to ever forgive her for it.
but as you say Sarah DOES tend to just go too far and doesn't know when to stop and perhaps if Di was unhappy and fed up, and felt thtat she had lost an ally because of the veruccas remark, she found it hard to forgive Sarah...

Old 09-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Courtier

Regardless of anyone's opinion of Sarah, her relationship with her daughters is very solid as is hers and Andrew's. We can only see from the distant outside looking in.

That her relationship with Diana had fractured we also know, but she spent quite a bit of time just sitting with the princess in the lead up to the funeral, so that should tell us they did share a close bond also.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

?? DO you mean she sat with Dianas' body? Because I've never heard of this and I would find it unlikely. I'm sure that the RF/Charles were willing to let her visit the coffin and say goodbye, but I can't see her being there for a long period of time.
And it is well known that she and Diana were at odds for a long time before Diana's death, and that Diana refused to respond to Sarah's overtures. so Iwould hardly say that their close bond lasted.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
?? DO you mean she sat with Dianas' body? Because I've never heard of this and I would find it unlikely. I'm sure that the RF/Charles were willing to let her visit the coffin and say goodbye, but I can't see her being there for a long period of time.
And it is well known that she and Diana were at odds for a long time before Diana's death, and that Diana refused to respond to Sarah's overtures. so Iwould hardly say that their close bond lasted.
I don't remember anything about Sarah sitting with Diana's body either.

But just because Diana had cut Sarah off (as she had done with others, some of whom became friends again, some not) it doesn't mean Sarah didn't still feel close to Diana and was grieved by her death.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From what I can see, Diana's coffin was lying in state (don't know exactly how to word it) at St. James Chapel from Sunday after her death until it was taken to Kensington Palace the night before the public funeral. Paul Burrell relates in "A Royal Duty" exactly what happened while the coffin was at KP. He did not mention Sarah spending time with the coffin but he kept an all night vigil.

Sarah and Diana had their ups and down like a lot of us do with people but from what I know of Sarah's personality, she doesn't seem to be the kind of person that carried grudges.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that Sarah made fairly desperate attempts to be taken back into Di's friendship but Diana wouldn't have it. And I think that it was a bit like Sarah's still trying to get on board wit the RF as a whole, because she has found herself out in the cold since she left them. She annoyed Diana, and Diana refused to forgive her..
and while Sarah was invited to the funeral, I don't see Charles letting her do more than pay a farewell visit to the coffin.. He wouldn't want to deny her a cance to say goodbye but he also wouldn't IM sure wish to allow her to stay for a prolonged time
Old 09-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Majesty

We have no way of knowing any such things. It is speculation and as such should be qualified by an 'IMO' or 'IMHO'
Old 09-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several posts speculating on Sarah's mental health have been removed under the speculation rule. Please keep your opinions and statements factual as much as possible.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Courtier

Going back in time, but I do remember reading about Sarah speak of sitting with Diana in the lead up to the funeral.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

where did she say this?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Courtier

I didn't keep notes I remember reading about it at the time, twenty years ago.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:37 AM
Royal Highness

i don't recall any source with Sarah stating her time sitting with Diana before the funeral. I do recall that Sarah gave an interview a few months after Diana's death stating that she called Diana on the day of the accident and repeatedly spoke to the answering machine saying, "Dutch, Dutch pick up the phone! I know you're there, I know you're home and not in Paris!" It was an interview she gave to either Majesty Magazine or Royalty Magazine. She didn't mention in that interview about the sitting before the funeral.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Though why would Sarah call Diana on the very day of the accident in Paris when we know that the two women hadn't reconciled and in fact hadn't spoken for months? I just get the feeling sometimes that Sarah likes to impel herself into scenes of drama and tragedy (and this was an epic one on a international scale) without necessarily telling the truth, the whole truth...
Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Royal Highness

Well, it's what was printed that Sarah told the journalist at the her interview. I have no idea if what said actually happened or not. Yes, the two women were on the outs, Sarah herself stated she couldn't believe Diana had been in an accident and had died and related the telephone call and messages. We have to take Sarah at what she relayed although privately we can take it with a grain of salt or not.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd be dubious about this, alleged "calling Diana" and not believing she was in Paris.. and I'd be dubious about her saying (if she did) that she sat up for hours with Diana's body. I'm sure she would not have been permitted to do that...
Old 09-22-2017, 03:09 AM
Royal Highness

To be honest, I'm dubious about calling and leaving a message at Diana's home that Sarah made when she learned about Diana's accident. I searched in the public library archives and the interview Sarah gave was in Majesty Magazine. The article was about "Children In Crisis", Sarah's charity. I remember the photo was Sarah at her office in the World Trade Center and thought just in 4 yr. the those buildings would be destroyed. Anyway, to stay on topic, the interview came around to Diana's death which was so recent and Sarah relayed disbelief and the phone message story. These were the days before I had the internet, let alone a computer. When I got the internet, that's when I found out about the falling out between the two women. It always struck me and still does why Fergie would state that she tried calling and then leaving a message to Diana when the international news confirmed Diana's accident and subsequent death. To be honest, even reading it in the article, I thought, " why did she call? Everything was confirmed?"
My point is, the journalist wrote down what Sarah relayed to him and it was printed.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course Katrianna, the journalist I'm sure wrote it in good faith. but Sarah is so silly. I think she very much regrets the fact that the RF aren't keen on her, (thanks to her own stupid behaviour) and has been trying for years to get back in their good books. And the same with Diana. I think she was trying to emphaisise that she HAD had a close relationship with Diana, (though people knew they had fallen out) and was trying to make out that she had still been close enough to call Diana at home, though it was pretty well known that they were "no speakers" for ages...
But she just made herself look silly again..
perhaps She MAY have done this, called Diana when it was announced that she had died in Paris, and maybe she told it to show that she had been "so so upset" at Diana's death that she coudlnt' believe it. But really a dignified saying nothing wold have been better. She may have been tryring to make herself look distraught (and Im sure she WAS indeed very shocked and unhappy... but as always with Fergie she overplayed her hand and looked foolish instead.
She might alos have said that she sat with Diana's body the night before she was buried but I'm sure that's not true...
Old 09-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I do think if it had been true about Sarah sitting up with the body, it would have been mentioned in Paul Burrell's book. I may not care much for Burrell and his usage of his life with Diana to make a buck or two, I do believe that he was very actively involved with things during the time between Diana's death and her funeral.

I don't think Sarah would have been allowed to sit up with the body at St. James' while the body was there and Burrell was the one that stayed with the body when it was at KP for one night before the funeral. He does no recall Sarah at all during that time if I'm remembering right. Its been a long time since I've read the book and have no real desire to go hunting for it.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

No I'm sure it is not true, but she may have said it. I imagine that she may have paid a farewell visit....
Old 09-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Royal Highness

In the same Majesty interview Sarah didn't mention sitting with Diana's remains before the funeral, she mentioned how upset she was and referred to her actions as I've written in my last 2 posts. If she would have included the sitting with Diana action in that interview, I would have remembered.
If I remember, at the time, in my local newspaper they had picked up a story from an international news service that listed the individuals who sat with Diana's remains at St. Jame's Palace, the day and night before her funeral and Sarah was not listed at St. James.
I have to agree that it would have been best if Sarah would have acknowledged that how shocked she was at Diana's death and expressed that it was a terrible loss and left it at that.

Tags
diana princess of wales, fergie, princess diana, relationships, sarah duchess of york