Diana and James Hewitt

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, I don't know that much about the years Diana spent with James Hewitt but after reading this thread, I think its time I read Hewitt's books "Moving On" and "Love and War". From what I can see, I can get both of them for around $6 so that'll be my reading list for June.

Stay tuned to this thread for my upcoming opinion of it all after I read the books. :D

Don't buy 'Love and War' Osipi, even if it is only a few dollars. If it's the one I'm thinking of that I got from the library years ago, Hewitt rattled on a lot about his army career and some other girlfriend and there wasn't much Diana in it. Maybe 'Princess in Love' would be better. If you can find a copy anywhere, that is!

Don't buy 'Love and War' Osipi, even if it is only a few dollars. If it's the one I'm thinking of that I got from the library years ago, Hewitt rattled on a lot about his army career and some other girlfriend and there wasn't much Diana in it. Maybe 'Princess in Love' would be better. If you can find a copy anywhere, that is!

Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated. :flowers:

woudln't you be interested in his actual profession as well as his relationship with Diana? I dont like him at all and I'd never buy his books but he is IMO entilted to write about his soldiering, that's a legitimate part of his life... but writing abt Diana is where he went over the line..

woudln't you be interested in his actual profession as well as his relationship with Diana? I dont like him at all and I'd never buy his books but he is IMO entilted to write about his soldiering, that's a legitimate part of his life... but writing abt Diana is where he went over the line..

Hewitt life encompasses his relationship with Diana.
He was involved with her for over a decade.

He cannot pretend the relationship did not exist.

This was his life and he can write anything and everything about his life including about his lovers.

He was involved with her for 6 years she dumped him then took him back then dumped him for the last time in 92 or 93.

Who would read it if it didn't have anything about Diana?

That's all he has- that he was once the lover of a famous woman, and he sold her out for every penny he could get!

What an epitaph!

Who would read it if it didn't have anything about Diana?

That's all he has- that he was once the lover of a famous woman, and he sold her out for every penny he could get!

What an epitaph!

If he hadn't been her lover, he would have probably had a normal career and a perhaps boring but otherwise normal life and would not have needed to supplement his income by writing about his relationship with Diana.

Why should Diana's life trump everyone else's life? I've never understood why everyone must 'make way' for her.

Why? :huh:

Why should Diana's life trump everyone else's life? I've never understood why everyone must 'make way' for her.

I think the point is that had James Hewitt not been involved in a relationship with Diana he may well have been just one of thousands of other Army officers who have never written a biography and we might never have heard of him.

That is not to say that the life and career of an Army officer would not be an interesting read, but without the Diana element to the book we wouldn't be discussing it at all.

You don't think it is wrong for a man to publicise his illicit affair with a woman esp one whose position could have been seriously damaged by his making the affair public? and to do ti for money..

You don't think it is wrong for a man to publicise his illicit affair with a woman esp one whose position could have been seriously damaged by his making the affair public? and to do it for money...

People write their memoirs all the time. I don't have a problem with such. :cool:

You are a Diana partisan. You see Diana taking precedence over Hewitt, perhaps. Perhaps you see it as Hewitt forever deferring to Diana's life. I don't. Hewitt's life is his own. As it happens, that life was substantially shaped and changed by his association with her. It's his life to share or not share as he sees fit, not as Diana sees fit, or her partisans. Diana does not 'own' Hewitt. That's how I see it. :rolleyes:

But more significantly, Diana spun a tale that made her out as victim, in all kinds of ways. Fact is, the story of Hewitt and Diana puts the lie to her spinning. For that fact alone his story is valuable to the full story of who Diana was.

People write their memoirs all the time. I don't have a problem with such. :cool:

You are a Diana partisan. You see Diana taking precedence over Hewitt, perhaps. Perhaps you see it as Hewitt forever deferring to Diana's life. I don't. Hewitt's life is his own. As it happens, that life was substantially shaped and changed by his association with her. It's his life to share or not share as he sees fit, not as Diana sees fit, or her partisans. Diana does not 'own' Hewitt. That's how I see it. :rolleyes:

But more significantly, Diana spun a tale that made her out as victim, in all kinds of ways. Fact is, the story of Hewitt and Diana puts the lie to her spinning. For that fact alone his story is valuable to the full story of who Diana was.

I totally agree.

These two people's lives were intertwined. Each was a part of the other's life, and in a significant way. I believe Hewitt has as much right to talk about what happened between them as anyone else has to talk about something that happened to them during their life.

I don't see admiring Diana for her very many good qualities and for the admirable causes she promoted, as being 'partisan'. It doesn't mean that I or others who stick up for her are blind to her faults or vices (and goodness knows THEY'VE certainly been discussed ad nauseum on these threads.)

On the other hand, many of those who dislike Diana can barely find a good word to say about her, and when they do it's in a most begrudging way. She was a human being, like any other. Yes, she had terrible insecurities but she also touched thousands of lives in a good way.

As for James Hewitt. I wouldn't care if he talked about Diana until Kingdom come, all over the world. It's the doing so for money (a lot of money in his case) that I object to. It's the trying to sell her letters for millions in the US (a move that didn't succeed) the appearance on a TV show where Hewitt pretended to be hypnotised and in so doing stated an earlier date for when they'd met (bringing forth the whole 'Hewitt is Harry's father' debate once more.) In a way the woman who once loved him and whom he loved turned into a cash cow for him again and again. That's why I regard him as rather a grub.

Is Hewitt incapable of spinning lies or being deceitful? Why are his memoirs to be regarded as truth personified? He was and is just as anxious to spin his side of the tale as Diana ever was about hers.

Last edited:
I find it funny how those of us who are more fans of Diana like to complain about how those of us who aren't only focus on the negatives and talk about them "ad nauseum", ignoring how there are those here who only want to talk about her good traits, often ad nauseum, and are quick to attack any who disagree. It goes both ways.

As for whether or not Hewitt deserves to be attacked for his behaviour and profiting from his relationship... it's not nearly as black and white as it's being presented here. For starters, Diana opened herself up to exposure with the book (which... are we supposed to believe she didn't profit from that? Or the Panorama interview, for that matter?), with what appears to be no real consideration of how it would affect anyone other than Charles. In that regards, it's kind of hard to fault Hewitt for also trying to tell his side of the story. Doing things like trying to sell the letters is.. well, definitely not honourable or descent of him, but it's certainly not the first letters written by a famous person to be sold. I mean, you can buy books of Queen Victoria's letters if you want to and just last month someone sold a letter written by QEII about how she fell in love with the DoE for 14K. It doesn't make Hewitt a good guy, but he's not as much of a villain as we like to spin him to be.

Just take a look at how the balance has shifted on these threads with regard to Diana in the last few years, though! I'm a fan of Diana but if you look at my posts from way back when I first joined this forum and you'll see I've also discussed her faults, and there were many.

Several posters do like emphasising the damage etc that Diana caused but don't seem to be able to acknowledge that the woman also had many good points, or that she ever did a thing right, so much so that there was criticism on another thread of the way she and her children ate supper sometimes in front of the TV!

Queen Victoria's letters weren't stolen, as James Hewitt so disengenuously alleges about Anna Pasternak, who wrote 'Princess in Love',and the circumstances in which she got hold of Diana's letters.

Victoria's letters were first arranged and edited by her daughter Princess Beatrice, as the Queen had wanted her to. Later editions of her letters have been edited by distinguished historians, with the permission of the Sovereign.

Very often a few stray letters written to close friends by royalty are sold on after that person has died by their heirs or grandchildren etc. That's not nice either, but hardly the same thing as Hewitt did. His eyes, once he found himself in financial trouble, were always on the main chance, and for him that meant Diana=dollars/£s and he seemed to regard it as the gift that went on giving.

Probably logical from his point of view, but hardly the actions of an honourable or decent person.

Last edited:
If he hadn't been her lover, he would have probably had a normal career and a perhaps boring but otherwise normal life and would not have needed to supplement his income by writing about his relationship with Diana.

If he hasn't been her lover no one would know who he was and we wouldn't be talking about him now.
When Hewitt and Diana both opened their mouths they risked backlash. Diana died soon after Hewitt is still alive and is will making money off this decades old story of sleeping with her. If she threw him under the bus then I guess he has a right to tell his side, and at least it did show Diana for her lies and manipulations. But they have been over for 24yrs and she has been dead for nearly 20. And every time he needs money he pulls out his "I had sex with Diana" card. I see him as being similar to Fergie.

Last edited:
If he hasn't been her lover no one would know who he was and we wouldn't be talking about him now.
When Hewitt and Diana both opened their mouths they risked backlash. Diana died soon after Hewitt is still alive and is will making money off this decades old story of sleeping with her. If she threw him under the bus then I guess he has a right to tell his side, and at least it did show Diana for her lies and manipulations. But they have been over for 24yrs and she has been dead for nearly 20. And every time he needs money he pulls out his "I had sex with Diana" card. I see him as being similar to Fergie.

He is similar to Fergie in that way, but I don't dislike her, either. They are both people who think it's OK to make money from opportunities they have as a result of their intimate relationships. They are taking advantage of opportunities they had because of their connections, as most of us do one way or the other.

I think that the only time its a bad thing to capitalize on another person and the relationship had with that person is when a confidentiality agreement has been signed. To my knowledge, Hewitt never signed one of those although, as I believe, he was in the employ of the Wales. Riding instructor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as selling the letters, once they were delivered, the letters became the sole property of Hewitt and he had the right to do whatever he pleased with them. They were his property. Perhaps it lowered him in the eyes of those that thought he should have remained quiet and have branded him a skunk but that's their right too. I still have yet to read Hewitt's book and do plan to but with the idea that don't have to believe a word he says if it doesn't work for me. :D

I agree with Curryong on how these threads change things. When I joined, all I knew about Diana or about anyone, come to think of it, in the Royal Family, I had gleaned from my ex-husband's National Enquirer. We divorced around the same time Diana and Charles separated and it wasn't until 2008 that I discovered TRF looking for silly Ascot hats on a warm, summer night. I've come to see Diana as the person she is. The good, the bad and balance in all of it. It also opened up a wealth of knowledge of all things royal for me and I've been amazed at how involved, complex, tricky and quite a few other verbs things surrounding aspects of British royalty are. A lot of it, I think, is due to the excellent moderation here to keep things on an even keel that we discuss, ask questions, state what we think (usually with factual backup) and generally enjoy the conversations. The "hate" camps and the "saint" camps are found elsewhere if that kind of thing floats your boat.

He was originally William and Harry's riding instructor, but then Diana asked for lessons for herself. I don't know whether this was considered part of his work as a member of the Household Cavalry or whether he was employed part-time by the Waleses. His "kissing and telling" was considered the behaviour of a cad; but in legal terms, I think his having an affair with the wife of the Prince of Wales (I think that it's still considered treason, or at least it was at that time) was more of an offence than his books.

Technically, Diana's estate owns the copyright of the content of the letters she wrote to him. However, Hewitt owns the actual letters. He'd probably run into legal trouble if he tried to publish them. (Makes me wonder how Burrell got away with publishing the snippets that he did.)

The moderation here is excellent, I agree.

To my knowledge, Hewitt never signed one of those although, as I believe, he was in the employ of the Wales. Riding instructor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as selling the letters, once they were delivered, the letters became the sole property of Hewitt and he had the right to do whatever he pleased with them. They were his property.

A lot of it, I think, is due to the excellent moderation here to keep things on an even keel that we discuss, ask questions, state what we think (usually with factual backup) and generally enjoy the conversations. The "hate" camps and the "saint" camps are found elsewhere if that kind of thing floats your boat.

Im sorry, I am a Diana liker if Not lover, and I am fond of her in sptie of her many faults.. but It woudl not matter whether i liked her or not.. People shoudl not make money out of their intimate relationships, or publicise them in that way adn especially if it is a man about a woman. Diana's position was very delicate.. If she had not had public support once her affair with Hewitt became known (Luckily by and large the public felt sorry for her and felt she was entitled to a lover when her marriage had gone wrong).. his outing the affair might have destroyed her position with the RF. As it was, they felt that she was still very popular wth the public and if she was divorced, she would have to be treated fairly and with generosity..Fergie lost popularity with the public because she was so silly and her affair with Bryan was revealed and the RF didn't treat her very well in her divorce settlement.. J Hewitt obviously did not care about Di or he woudl have kept his mouth SHUT.

I don't see admiring Diana for her very many good qualities and for the admirable causes she promoted, as being 'partisan'.

Nor would I. :huh: Nothing of the kind was said.

Since this is referencing something I characterized, I will give the context. The word 'partisan' was used in reference to those who view Diana as in the right and Hewitt in the wrong for doing exactly the same thing. The view was being expressed that Hewitt did not have the 'right' to talk about his own life in a memoir-kind of way, but Diana did have the 'right' to say and intimate all manner of things about Charles and the BRF (and possibly negatively impact the BRF in so doing) in her memoir-type book (though admittedly not actually a 'memoir') and interviews in general. This is partisan.

It doesn't mean that I or others who stick up for her are blind to her faults or vices (and goodness knows THEY'VE certainly been discussed ad nauseum on these threads.)

Understood. However, please note the distinction made, that when Diana cannot err in situations where others are very much penalized, that is partisan.

On the other hand, many of those who dislike Diana can barely find a good word to say about her, and when they do it's in a most begrudging way. She was a human being, like any other. Yes, she had terrible insecurities but she also touched thousands of lives in a good way.

Very general. Not sure who the 'many of those' are. Impossible to figure out what you are referencing. So I'll pass on this comment. :flowers:

As for James Hewitt. I wouldn't care if he talked about Diana until Kingdom come, all over the world. It's the doing so for money (a lot of money in his case) that I object to. It's the trying to sell her letters for millions in the US (a move that didn't succeed) the appearance on a TV show where Hewitt pretended to be hypnotised and in so doing stated an earlier date for when they'd met (bringing forth the whole 'Hewitt is Harry's father' debate once more.) In a way the woman who once loved him and whom he loved turned into a cash cow for him again and again. That's why I regard him as rather a grub.

Money, power, fame - would you equate all these? Would you say that someone who sells someone out for money is a grub? You would because you have said so. How about power and fame? Would you say that someone who sells someone out for power and fame a grub? Because that's what Diana did with Charles (and the BRF). If anyone was 'cashing in' on her proximity to royalty it was Diana. I could hardly believe it when I read it, but she went so far as to denigrate Charles' ability to satisfy her. I'd call that grubby.

Is Hewitt incapable of spinning lies or being deceitful? Why are his memoirs to be regarded as truth personified? He was and is just as anxious to spin his side of the tale as Diana ever was about hers.

He doesn't actually spin that much. I've read one of his books and he is actually very circumspect regarding Diana. Not one salacious detail. :ermm:

Several posters do like emphasising the damage etc that Diana caused but don't seem to be able to acknowledge that the woman also had many good points, or that she ever did a thing right, so much so that there was criticism on another thread of the way she and her children ate supper sometimes in front of the TV!

Ooops! This is me. :cool: Questioning a chef's statement about Diana always sitting in front of the telly having supper on trays with her children is not a criticism of Diana. I was questioning the veracity of the article, or the chef. Why should we believe this chef? It sounded more like an urban legend he was repeating than actual facts.

I've read the 'Housekeeper's Diary' in which Mrs Barry indicates that Diana (in the later days at Highgrove before the separation) often purposely kept the two boys with her in the evening (with supper on trays in front of the telly) in order to deny Charles the evening sit-down meal with his family. That's the only eye-witness account I've read about trays in front of the telly, and the motivation was a bit sad.

He is similar to Fergie in that way, but I don't dislike her, either. They are both people who think it's OK to make money from opportunities they have as a result of their intimate relationships. They are taking advantage of opportunities they had because of their connections, as most of us do one way or the other.

In that 'they' I would include Diana. :cool: Diana did not stop playing her 'royal card' (because she had married Charles and produced the heir) for one second of her life after she married. She milked it every day. She expected consideration.

What a different story it all would have been had she spent some of her settlement money on the purchase of a lovely estate somewhere that she loved, and retired from the public scene since she could not conduct her public duties as the Princess of Wales next to the Prince of Wales. Far more impressive had she done that rather than calling in photo-ops to the press for her lover's tryst on a boat.

Last edited:
I think that last remark is a bit odd Nimue... Diana wanted a public role, and she did still continue to work at her charity work after her divorce. Yes of course she lived as a royal, she was rich and royal, why should she not? Why should she ntot ask to be treated as such? What has that got to do with the fact that Hewitt used his affair with her to write books which everyone knows would never have been read or sold had he not been Diana's lover? I don't entirely approve of her doing the Morton bbook or the Panormaa interview, but they were done to get out of her marriage or at least to sort out her position as the wife of a royal who no longer wanted her as his wife. She wanted a divorce or to have her position regularised as the mother of a future King...who was not living with her husband. It was not done for money.
Hewitt left the army. He had a pension and he could have gotten other work, but he didn't want to do that, he wanted recognition for being Diana's lover and he watned to make a living off the back of that... and he publicised the affair in such a way that he might well have completely destroyed Diana's reputation.. He even cast doubts on Harry's parentage.. I can't see ANY equvuivalnce .
And I cant see why you feel Diana should buy an estate (she didn't like the country) and retire into private life, when she could still do good iwht her charity wrok

Would regarding Charles as 'erring in situations where others are severely penalised' (such as sleeping with a fellow officer's wife) be 'partisan', as well? After all, according to Household cavalry regulations an officer found in adultery with another officer's wife (the case with Charles and Andrew PB's spouse) would be liable to penalties like being thrown out of the regiment.

Its not that likely, that he would be thrown out, but it is a situation that can lead to problems. I mean if you were to get rid of every officer that slept iwth a fellow officers wife..! But I simply cant understand anyone thinking that Hewitts behaviour was not ungentlemanly to the point of really nasty.
I am increasingly sure, for example that she and Carling were invovled but he's always denied it. HOare has refused to speak of his affair with her..

Understood. I stand corrected, though I do own that I do it when solo. I just find it odd to do when one is dealing with family, young children and all. I don't find the description of Diana's eating habits with her children endearing. Quite the reverse. Yet another example of her unusual attitudes imo. If true and accurate. Can we trust the chef?

I have to admit that I flashed that the claim is made to make the royal appear more 'normal'. Alls it does for me is make it seem strange, because sitting eating in front of the television with your children is not being with one's children imo. Lost time, lost opportunity for conversation and catching-up.

Lady Nimue, in what way is your post, which I quote above, from another thread admittedly (I beg the mod's indulgence but this refers to part of Lady Nimue's above reply to my post) a criticism of the chef's veracity (apart from one or two remarks?)

What I read from it is that you disapprove of supper on trays, which is fair enough, but we then get from the above, it's the 'reverse of endearing', 'odd' 'unusual attitudes' 'not (really) being with one's children' 'lost opportunity for conversation' etc. In what way is that not being a criticism not of the chef but of Diana's parenting skills?

Last edited:
I think that last remark is a bit odd Nimue... Diana wanted a public role, and she did still continue to work at her charity work after her divorce. Yes of course she lived as a royal, she was rich and royal, why should she not? Why should she ntot ask to be treated as such? What has that got to do with the fact that Hewitt used his affair with her to write books which everyone knows would never have been read or sold had he not been Diana's lover? I don't entirely approve of her doing the Morton bbook or the Panormaa interview, but they were done to get out of her marriage or at least to sort out her position as the wife of a royal who no longer wanted her as his wife. She wanted a divorce or to have her position regularised as the mother of a future King...who was not living with her husband. It was not done for money
Hewitt left the army. He had a pension and he could have gotten other work, but he didn't want to do that, he wanted recognition for being Diana's lover and he watned to make a living off the back of that... and he publicised the affair in such a way that he might well have completely destroyed Diana's reputation.. He even cast doubts on Harry's parentage.. I can't see ANY equvuivalnce .
Denville said:
People shoudl not make money out of their intimate relationships, or publicise them in that way adn especially if it is a man about a woman. Diana's position was very delicate.. If she had not had public support once her affair with Hewitt became known (Luckily by and large the public felt sorry for her and felt she was entitled to a lover when her marriage had gone wrong).. his outing the affair might have destroyed her position with the RF. As it was, they felt that she was still very popular wth the public and if she was divorced, she would have to be treated fairly and with generosity..]Fergie lost popularity with the public because she was so silly and her affair with Bryan was revealed and the RF didn't treat her very well in her divorce settlement.. J Hewitt obviously did not care about Di or he woudl have kept his mouth SHUT.

Denville, I am finding it difficult to reconcile the bolded sections of your posts. Diana not only wanted to ensure her public standing (I am not so sure she wanted a divorce), but she undoubtedly wanted to destroy Charles' public standing.

I also think that Diana's actions hurt both Harry and William far more than anything Hewitt has said or done. I've seen no evidence that Hewitt has caused Harry to doubt his parentage. On the other hand, there is a lot of evidence that Diana's sons were deeply hurt by her public disclosures, particularly the Panorama interview. The Morton book may not have cast doubts on Harry's parentage, but it may have caused him to question whether Charles loved or wanted him when he was born. That had to hurt.

If it was okay for Diana to "out" Charles and Camilla, it was okay for Hewitt to "out" her.

Last edited:
When have William and/or Harry ever stated that they were hurt or upset by Diana's Panorama interview? Harry was at Ludgrove at the time and it's doubtful he ever saw it, at least in childhood. There's been a lot of speculation that William was devastated by the revelations and watched it alone in the headmaster's study at Eton. TV movies have asserted he was haunted by his mother's statements but we don't know that it is true.

Was William (or his brother) hurt by the Dimbleby biography of Charles, in which their father hinted that he wasn't in love really when he had married Diana but his father had put pressure on him to marry? We don't know that either, but I think that would be equally devastating. Was William hurt when he saw his mother's misery, her weeping, over Charles's affair with Camilla? One would think so. Were either of the boys hurt at the time when the woman their mother had hated eventually moved into St James's Palace with their father? In fact there is hurt to spare in this saga, from both parents.

Last edited:
When have William and/or Harry ever stated that they were hurt or upset by Diana's Panorama interview? Harry was at Ludgrove at the time and it's doubtful he ever saw it, at least in childhood. There's been a lot of speculation that William was devastated by the revelations and watched it alone in the headmaster's study at Eton. TV movies have asserted he was haunted by his mother's statements but we don't know that it is true.

Was William (or his brother) hurt by the Dimbleby biography of Charles, in which their father hinted that he wasn't in love really when he had married Diana but his father had put pressure on him to marry? We don't know that either, but I think that would be equally devastating. Was William hurt when he saw his mother's misery, her weeping, over Charles's affair with Camilla? One would think so. Were either of the boys hurt at the time when the woman their mother had hated eventually moved into St James's Palace with their father? In fact there is hurt to spare in this saga, from both parents.
First, I think that much of your post is off topic. However, there are many sources that Diana regretted the Panorama interview because William and Harry were angry and upset. The one I can find offhand is "Diana--The Last Word" by Simmone SImons and Ingrid Seward. I think it is a safe assumption that children will be upset when a parent cooperates with a book or goes on television and discusses private matters.

I am betting that at some point William (and probably Harry) have discussed that interview (and his own interview) with their dad....and made peace with it.

LaRae

I am betting that at some point William (and probably Harry) have discussed that interview (and his own interview) with their dad....and made peace with it.

LaRae

I am sure that is true. I was responding to Denville's point that Hewitt is a cad, in part because he cast doubt on Harry's paternity, while justifying Diana's book. My point was and is, that Diana's (and Charles') disclosures were more hurtful to William and Harry than anything Hewitt said or did.

Back
Top Bottom