The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Serene Highness

I suspect her experience with Charles and the stress of adapting to life as a Royal may have contributed to Diana's emotional neediness.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest here, I think the kind of man that pleased Diana the most and made her "love" them is that the men she chose were sycophants and she loved being first and foremost in their hearts, their lives and was in control of things. She couldn't demand and control Charles or make him into the man she thought he should be so the marriage fizzled. Hewitt crossed her when he wouldn't allow Diana's position and influence to keep him from serving in the Gulf War. The relationship with Khan went sour when Khan discovered that she was being manipulative behind his back with his family and his medical practice.

Soled out.

What Diana seemed to be searching for doesn't really exist in reality. Only in romance novels.
that's not the case. Diana had split with Hewitt before the Gulf war and it was the War that brought abuot a temporary revival of the affair. And Khan was still involved with Diana until she broke it off, when she started to see Dodi.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I do believe though that Diana had happy times with Hewitt going to visit his mother in Devon and they'd go walking without being disturbed and she treasured that time together. Would it have lasted if they married? I have no idea.

The conundrum with Diana was that she never realized just what would make her happy and content as with different people, worlds clashed, collided and there was no one place that she would feel that she "had it all together". I wish she would have found that.
In relationships, Diana strikes me as a little bit of a 'fair weather-friend'. With her charitable work, she was steadfast, and loyal in the extreme. But lovers were held to sort of a different standard, without the same latitude in making a wrong mistep, here or there. IF Hewitt was brilliant, and times were good, she was like sunshine. But if incidents happened that reflected poorly on him, the tide could turn and emotional support withdrawn, or vaporize altogether.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
that's not the case. Diana had split with Hewitt before the Gulf war and it was the War that brought abuot a temporary revival of the affair. And Khan was still involved with Diana until she broke it off, when she started to see Dodi.
There are also reports that Khan broke it off in the early summer of 1997 because he didn't see a future for them-he didn't want to live in a fishbowl which is what he feared would happen if they married. And that Diana was still in love with him and began the relationship with Dodi to make him jealous or to soothe her broken heart.

Since Dr Khan is very reticent about his relationship with Diana, we may never know. It does seem he really loved her though.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
There are also reports that Khan broke it off in the early summer of 1997 because he didn't see a future for them-he didn't want to live in a fishbowl which is what he feared would happen if they married. And that Diana was still in love with him and began the relationship with Dodi to make him jealous or to soothe her broken heart.

Since Dr Khan is very reticent about his relationship with Diana, we may never know. It does seem he really loved her though.
As I recall HE has said that she broke it off..
Old 09-29-2019, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
In relationships, Diana strikes me as a little bit of a 'fair weather-friend'. With her charitable work, she was steadfast, and loyal in the extreme. But lovers were held to sort of a different standard, without the same latitude in making a wrong mistep, here or there. IF Hewitt was brilliant, and times were good, she was like sunshine. But if incidents happened that reflected poorly on him, the tide could turn and emotional support withdrawn, or vaporize altogether.
I can't imagine any time in his life when Hewitt was "brilliant" if you meant intellectually.. and he was rarely genuine in his feeligns for her. WHy on earth should Diana remain loyal to someone whose feelings for her were at best lukewarm and at worst who acted in a deeply disloyal way
Old 09-29-2019, 07:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, we don't know the intimate details of Diana and Hewitt's relationship or how they felt towards each other and what really happened other than what has become public knowledge through Diana, herself, and Hewitt, himself. Each side could be seeing things different and telling their stories in a way that makes themselves look like the "good" guy rather than a lout. It does take two to tango. :)

What I base my opinion on Diana having a mercurial temperament stems from information encompassing a lot of her different relationships from a lot of different people with a lot of different perspectives. Not knowing Diana personally at all, I can't say for sure what she was *really* like.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 09-29-2019, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
To be honest, we don't know the intimate details of Diana and Hewitt's relationship or how they felt towards each other and what really happened other than what has become public knowledge through Diana, herself, and Hewitt, himself.
what has become public knowledge about J Hewitt is pretty damning IMO. He has made a career for almost 20 years (he seems to have dried up now that he has had health problems).. of talking about Diana, revealing things that she would have wanted kept quiet and hinting that He was Harry's father. I can't see what could be "good" about this person. He has said things like she told him that Barry Manakee was her lover..
Old 09-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Then again, Diana did her part revealing her affair with Hewitt in her cooperation with Andrew Morton to get "her story" out. They both bleated to the public about personal matters which doesn't look good for either of them at all.

Truth be told, Diana put the affair out to the public before Hewitt did. Diana's cooperative book with Andrew Morton was first published in 1992. Hewitt's first book "Love and War" wasn't published until 1999 after Diana's death. Of course none of us knew that Diana actually cooperated with Morton until after her death.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Then again, Diana did her part revealing her affair with Hewitt in her cooperation with Andrew Morton to get "her story" out. They both bleated to the public about personal matters which doesn't look good for either of them at all.

Truth be told, Diana put the affair out to the public before Hewitt did. Diana's cooperative book with Andrew Morton was first published in 1992. Hewitt's first book "Love and War" wasn't published until 1999 after Diana's death. Of course none of us knew that Diana actually cooperated with Morton until after her death.
? Where did Diana mention her affair with JH in Diana her True Story. She did not admit to it until her interview with Bashir in 1995. And that was after Hewitt had outed the affair in his nasty little book Princess in Love...
Old 09-29-2019, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
? Where did Diana mention her affair with JH in Diana her True Story. She did not admit to it until her interview with Bashir in 1995. And that was after Hewitt had outed the affair in his nasty little book Princess in Love...
(Osipi wipes the egg off her face and asks "where's the bacon?")

You're absolutely right here and I've got it all mixed up. I need bacon. But seriously, it was the Panorama interview of 1995 when Diana talked about her affair with Hewitt and not the Morton book. Princess in Love by Anna Pasternak was published in 1994. Hewitt is not listed as the author of the book. I seem to recall Hewitt not being overly happy with Pasternak making it all public but that's to be debated on as he did go on to use his relationship with Diana as the proverbial cash cow in his pocket.

Thanks, m'friend for setting me straight here. Now... where's that bacon???

Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Hewitt gave the story to Pasternak as far as I am aware...….just like he dropped hints to journalists when he was n the Gulf and at various times. he sold Diana out, and then pretended he was the victim.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Then what we really have here is the proof that two wrongs never make a right. The whodunit first makes no difference.

It all boils down to that, in her lifetime, Diana never met her "Mr. Right". There's an old saying that, "A woman is always looking for Mr. Right. In the meantime, she gets married." I'm a living example of that.

I honestly do wish Diana had met and lived to be with her own "Mr. Right".

Old 09-30-2019, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Then what we really have here is the proof that two wrongs never make a right. The whodunit first makes no difference.

It all boils down to that, in her lifetime, Diana never met her "Mr. Right". There's an old saying that, "A woman is always looking for Mr. Right. In the meantime, she gets married." I'm a living example of that.

I honestly do wish Diana had met and lived to be with her own "Mr. Right".
I don't quite see where there are 2 Wrongs in this context. Diana worried abuot Hewitt talking because he was becoming indiscreet and she feared that if she was trying to leave Charles.. her having an affair might be used against her or might turn the public against her. So she trusted or tried to trust her lover to be discreet -as any decent man would have been. Then after varous hints to journalists, he gave material to Anna Pasternak for a book..and followed up by his own book later.
Diana only admitted ot the affair because he had already outed it..
And of course there is no such thing as "mr Right" but one hopes not to encounter someone who will let you down for money the way that Hewitt did...
Old 09-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
And of course there is no such thing as "mr Right" but one hopes not to encounter someone who will let you down for money the way that Hewitt did...
I don't believe that money actually is a driving force in this. The biggie (and the very *big* biggie) was going public in the first place by all of the people involved with the War of the Wales era. It gave the tabloids a fortune and everyone involved (excluding Camilla) had their say somehow and someway in the media. Just about all of the cast of characters of that war were guilty of letting each other down.

As Charles stated around that time, "They've turned us into a bloody soap opera!" That statement, to me, is the whole ball of wax in a nutshell.

BTW: Just because I could, I ordered Pasternak's book. Its one I've not read yet. Not bad for the price of a Starbuck's coffee.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissal View Post
There's only one place Harry could have got his ears from.
His eyes are pure Mountbatten, too.

There’s a photo of Prince Philip in a beard from that big solo tour he took on the yacht back in the 50s, and he looks exactly like Harry now.

The only similarity Hewitt has is hair color.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
His eyes are pure Mountbatten, too.

There’s a photo of Prince Philip in a beard from that big solo tour he took on the yacht back in the 50s, and he looks exactly like Harry now.

The only similarity Hewitt has is hair color.
There have been times with my eyesight that is definitely not the best, had to do a double take and realize I was looking at Harry and not Charles. Those Windsor genes are strong ones.

The "ginger" in Harry only proves his maternal genes.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There have been times with my eyesight that is definitely not the best, had to do a double take and realize I was looking at Harry and not Charles. Those Windsor genes are strong ones.

The "ginger" in Harry only proves his maternal genes.
There's ginger on both sides! Prince Phillip did not have a blonde beard!

LaRae
Old 09-30-2019, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't believe that money actually is a driving force in this. The biggie (and the very *big* biggie) was going public in the first place by all of the people involved with the War of the Wales era. It gave the tabloids a fortune and everyone involved (excluding Camilla) had their say somehow and someway in the media. Just about all of the cast of characters of that war were guilty of letting each other down.

As Charles stated around that time, "They've turned us into a bloody soap opera!" That statement, to me, is the whole ball of wax in a nutshell.

BTW: Just because I could, I ordered Pasternak's book. Its one I've not read yet. Not bad for the price of a Starbuck's coffee.
you don't believe that Hewitt wrote his little books for money?
Old 10-01-2019, 04:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I can't imagine any time in his life when Hewitt was "brilliant" if you meant intellectually.. and he was rarely genuine in his feeligns for her. WHy on earth should Diana remain loyal to someone whose feelings for her were at best lukewarm and at worst who acted in a deeply disloyal way
Fellows judged to be lukewarm usually don't have vivid or perfect recall of a romantic interest, unless there's more to it. Back to before she was married, Hewitt saw her that summer, during an Army / Navy Cup match with Charles in '81, and also describes meeting her later..
___

"There was a lot of press around, and she was uncomfortably trapped in a small stand erected for the game. She was obviously having difficulty coping with her new-found stardom. There were hordes of photographers and they wouldn't stop snapping away at her. She started to cry and then ran away and got into a car. She couldn't cope with it. I remember feeling angry and sorry for her."

Meeting Diana :

"It was early in May when I came out of a meeting at Buckingham Palace with the Queen's equerry, Lieutenant-Commander Tim Lawrence ( later to become the Queen's son-in- law when he married Princess Anne ). It was a sultry afternoon and I felt the heat, wearing what was known as 'dismounted review order.'

"I heard a voice behind me. It was Princess Diana. I was surprised to see her there. It wasn't uncommon to pass Prince Philip or Prince Edward in the palace corridors because they lived there. You couldn't pretend you were invisible so you always said a respectful 'Good morning sir' and they would acknowledge. But she didn't live in Buckingham palace.'

But there she was, at the bottom of the stairs, in a long summer skirt with bare feet, her shoes in her hand. I muttered a 'Good afternoon ma'am,' and she giggled and said, 'Like the outfit.' We fell into a brief conversation. I wish I could remember the exact words we spoke but I do remember exactly what I was feeling -- just completely bowled over by someone so feminine and friendly and captivatingly beautiful."
____

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana