The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I had thought about that too. Two sides of the same coin. The only difference I can see here really is that, at the time, Hewitt was actively serving in the military.
the difference was that J Hewitt was a selfish brainless unreliable man who showed how little he cared for Diana, and how was using her for ego boosting and to make money...

Old 04-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

It's hard to say how many took Diana's skeletal appearance for granted; in the sense of consuming very little calories coupled with bulimia is not necessarily life threatening..but has the potential to be. Apart from the time she once careened down a flight of stairs, various red flags were apparent. It's conceivable she could have lost her life early on.

Her riding pictures reveal largely skin and bone when they first met. Surely he communicated this gently to her as well? From the mid 80's onward she eventually restored her physique and health. Most often this is attributed to the help of 'experts'. It is curious that Hewitt's name is not among them.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
It's hard to say how many took Diana's skeletal appearance for granted; in the sense of consuming very little calories coupled with bulimia is not necessarily life threatening..but has the potential to be. Apart from the time she once careened down a flight of stairs, various red flags were apparent. It's conceivable she could have lost her life early on.

Her riding pictures reveal largely skin and bone when they first met. Surely he communicated this gently to her as well? From the mid 80's onward she eventually restored her physique and health. Most often this is attributed to the help of 'experts'. It is curious that Hewitt's name is not among them.
well las time I looked James Hewitt wasn't an expert in anything but (as I believe he put it himself horses and sex). I would be puzzled to see what role he had in "restoring Diana to health"....
Old 04-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Aristocracy

Being raised around equines, imo gave him an extra dimension beyond the average Army officer. There is a great deal of caring and nurturing of horses, where they often develop errant behaviors depending on many factors. During their mornings of riding, he was astute enough to understand that Diana was not as centered as she could be, yet did enjoy outings enough to share conversation and take further lessons. Done gradually, it was a crucial part of regaining a positive outlook for herself.

It probably did not escape her notice (?) that hewitt was an amiable fellow, had a sense of humor, fine health and vigorous constitution.

Business deals that sour are one thing, but flunking Army exams reinforced the idea that he wasn't Oxford material. Previously informed he would not have to take them - in an acting position of major. His notoriety caused a reversal on this. Big part of the exams....Battlefield tactics, which he had firsthand knowledge. [ 'Fail' grade by 1% ] ..

Old 04-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose he's the only army officer who knows about horses?
Old 04-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't think Hewitt was an expert on anything really and being an expert at something never came into play as to why Diana was attracted to him. I'd even wager that the biggest reason for his attraction was simply that he was there and available. IIRC, he was hired to teach Diana (and William?) to ride.

It was at a point in her marriage where she had little ones and a husband that seemed to always be off somewhere working. She was lonely, down in the dumps and insecure. Then, there he was. Hewitt the knight in shining armor who listened to her, talked to her, paid attention to her and she fell like a ton of bricks for the guy.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I really don't think Hewitt was an expert on anything really and being an expert at something never came into play as to why Diana was attracted to him. I'd even wager that the biggest reason for his attraction was simply that he was there and available. IIRC, he was hired to teach Diana (and William?) to ride.

It was at a point in her marriage where she had little ones and a husband that seemed to always be off somewhere working. She was lonely, down in the dumps and insecure. Then, there he was. Hewitt the knight in shining armor who listened to her, talked to her, paid attention to her and she fell like a ton of bricks for the guy.
I was being a bit sarcastic. I believe that Hewitt said that he "knew about horses and sex", the implication being that he didn't know much else.
I think that its true that Diana fell for Hewitt because he was there, to an extent. In her situation, although she was a very lovely young woman, she was very isolated by her position. Men might admire her, but at that time, I think most men would be intimidated by her position and her marriage. I don't think many men would have made a pass at her. It might lead to very unpleasant complications. She wasn't just a royal wife.. she was the future Queen, the wife of the Prince of Wales. She was the wife of a man who famously "could not get a divorce." I think that a lot of people would have felt it was quite unthinkable for "the Princess of Wales" to have an affair...at that particular time.

I think even Hewitt who was not reflective or intelligent, was a bit unnerved at times that he had actualy had the audacity ot end up in an affair with Diana Princess of Wales..
But I think he was egotistical enough mostly to just think "Wow I've scored here, I have a rich royal lady as my girlfriend and she's crazy about me..."
So while I think diana did fall for him a bit, a lot of it was "he was there and he was ready to make love to her and keep her happy" while other men might be intimidated by the whole situation of being attracted to this particular woman....
She was lonely, Charles was busy with his work or his mistress. Her children were loved but too small to be full time companions and she needed someone and JH was ready to become her lover....
Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well he was the one who made it public... with his hints to the Pres and then his little book....
He mentions the Pasternak book as something that to this day wishes he hadn't participated in. This is not to suggest that the following will change anyone's mind, but it might help illustrate some of the backdrop and confusion of how it unfolded. He emphasizes the point well that 'Princess in Love' is his greatest regret :

"In June 1992 the Sunday Times began to serialize the Andrew Morton book. Morton had written to me asking if I would talk to him about the Princess but I had declined. Diana's attitude had always been: 'Do what you like.' The book alluded to my friendship with her and related how she was entertained by my parents in Devon while the boys went riding with me. I could have told him that my parents had long been separated and the boys didn't go riding with me.'

"Some of Diana's friends did speak to the author. Carolyn Bartholomew, who had known her since they were at school, seemed to be the person who gave the most sympathetic account of the Princess's problems. She knew all about Diana's illness, the disaster of her marriage and most things about the relationship with me. When the book was published and people wanted to know whether Carolyn had let Diana down by talking to the author, Diana made a point of going along to Carolyn's house and embracing her for a pre-arranged press photo. But the truth was to later to emerge that the main source for much of the book was Diana herself. In fact, it seemed most likely that the whole project was her idea. She recorded a series of tapes, which a friend then passed on to Andrew Morton.

"The revelations were instrumental in at last securing her separation from Prince Charles at the end of the year. I telephoned her to say how happy I was she had found her freedom."

cont..
Old 04-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Aristocracy

...Prior to working with Pasternak, Hewitt endured a soul searching trek across sections of Africa, in part from a desire to put his Army career behind him, and storybook romance as well.

"In fact, just by travelling through the continent, you realize more than ever that you are a mere speck in the universe. There are many greater problems in the world than your own petty problems.

"In one respect the expedition had failed. I had been unable to get Diana out of my mind, let alone out of my system. I knew I never could and never would. But I was able to put things into perspective. She called me early in 1994 and said I had to do something about all the innuendo that was recycling itself about us in the papers. People felt free to invent what they wanted. According to one paper, Diana and I were living together at my cousin's house in Fulham. In fact, she didn't even know the place existed. ..Counsel on how to stop such stories was not optimistic -- there was nothing Fleet street would like more than to go to court because it meant that Diana would have to appear. Was I prepared to do this? I said I wasn't. The press knew this and that was why they kept going after me.

"Diana urged me to give an interview with Richard Kay in the hope that this would put a stop to the speculation. After my experience in the Gulf I wasn't sure. But I did give a long interview to Anna Pasternak (whom I knew through friends) in the Daily Express about my friendship with the Princess. This was an error. I was held up to ridicule by other papers for the fact that I said nothing new -- merely repeated the same old story which they knew to be false. The Palace, Downing Street, Fleet street, and many others were aware of the true facts of our relationship."

"Anna said she would like to write a book which would present Diana and myself in a sympathetic light without any tabloid spin. I thought about it for several days and nights. Nothing could be as bad as the press I was now getting. Truth, I reasoned, must be the the best way forward. So I agreed to it. But it proved to be the biggest mistake of my life."
_____
Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Its a bit late to regret it once he's done it.. and he was clearly always working towards the idea of selling the story, with his borrowing a journalists phone.. dropping hints about the fact that he received letters from Diana etc.

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana