The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2018, 12:05 AM
Majesty

I agree. I think in particular of a documentary in which Hewitt and his friends are sitting and drinking and he discusses his sex life with Diana using a very vulgar word.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Aristocracy

Having seen a couple interviews of intentional clowning around, when he crosses the line in some manner, the press regards it as an M-A-J-O-R infraction or the like. If..he's permitted to even have a sense of humor.

As a contrast.. after the transfer to Germany, it stung to hear Diana repeat the phrase via phone that he, "let her down" (left England). It started to change when it became apparent she might not see him again, might very well be devastated if his number came up. She thought less of herself..was more concerned, more supportive, as things got down to the wire a few weeks from deploying.

He writes that he always admired her gift at gallows humor, savoring a remark in particular :

"And if you don't come and see me before you go off to your war, I'll come out and shoot you myself."

Old 06-16-2018, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

he crossed the line the very first time he hinted to anyone that he was Dianas lover. he has absolutely no shame.. just greed, ego and selfishiness
Old 06-16-2018, 02:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Hewitt was badly used. If the roles were reversed, if Hewitt were the woman and Diana the man, we'd be all outraged at how Diana-as-man (in the position of power and status) used and tossed Hewitt-as-woman, and would not fault Hewitt any of his deconstruct. We'd be allowing all manner of excuses for Hewitt, as in fact people do for Diana.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Now that is hitting the nail right smack dab on the head.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-27-2018, 07:55 PM
Aristocracy

A little surprised to learn that Hewitt once enjoyed a friendship with Richard Kay, one of the more vocal critics of Hewitt.. This was from time spent together when a special request was granted for a week, to be with the Life Guards during the Gulf war. The particular period of Diana's involvement is not nearly as exciting as it once was, largely forgotten with the outrage over her letters. Excerpt from 'Love and War' :
______

"There was no room for them in the tanks so we found them room in the back of the ambulance. In the event of any attack they would at least be protected by armour."

"Kay seemed an amiable enough chap. He said his main job was writing for the Daily Mail, but there was an arrangement during the Gulf where certain articles might appear in other papers. He asked me questions about myself and my command and I tried to answer them as best I could. I'm fairly certain he and a photographer were with us when word came through that the land war was about to commence.'

"He said he had a satellite phone back at his hotel for sending urgent despatches and suggested I might like to use it to call home before going in. I leapt at the chance, summoning Trooper Doyle and my Land Rover, with Kay drove more than 60 miles to a small desert town. Kay had rooms in a beaten up hotel, one with several thousand pounds' worth of expensive satellite phone. He seemed very eager for me to use it.'

I spoke with my mother. She knew we were going in and was clearly upset. Then I rang Diana on her private line. Paul Burrell was pleased to hear from me, "Good luck,' he said. 'I'll just see if the Princess is in.'

..Of course he knew whether she was in, though maybe she had told him she wasn't taking any calls. I soon got my answer as I could hear female 'whoops and shrieks' in the background. She came breathless to the phone. I was too blown away by the emotion of the moment to recall words now, but she smothered me in hugs and kisses and said how much she missed me. She, too, knew this would be the last time we spoke before battle and said how she knew I would be safe as she prayed for me all the time, and she was certain her prayers would be answered.

She said she just wanted to be with me. I said that if that was the case she would have to marry me. She said she would love to do that.

I felt perfectly at peace as we drove back to join the Squadron. Whatever lay in store in the days ahead, there was a contentment inside me that made me completely prepared to face my fate.

"I thanked Richard Kay for letting me talk to my family. He said it was his pleasure. What I didn't know was that he was the 'Royal Correspondent' for the Daily Mail. Nor did I know that he was in possession of much more information about me than anyone in the Brigade might have suspected."

Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Hewitt was badly used. If the roles were reversed, if Hewitt were the woman and Diana the man, we'd be all outraged at how Diana-as-man (in the position of power and status) used and tossed Hewitt-as-woman, and would not fault Hewitt any of his deconstruct. We'd be allowing all manner of excuses for Hewitt, as in fact people do for Diana.
Very interesting take and one I never thought of. Didnt Diana employ Hewitt to teach her to ride? If Diana were a man people would be screaming sexual harassment. Not only does the gender double standard come in but also the Poor St. Diana double standard with her sad eyes helping her sell the "he betrayed me" line.
With that being said there is still something pathetic about Hewitt, but the man was used badly by Diana. Makes me glad Oliver Hoare wouldn't cater to her.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-27-2018, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
With that being said there is still something pathetic about Hewitt, but the man was used badly by Diana. Makes me glad Oliver Hoare wouldn't cater to her.

Not like Hoare was any prize! Cheating on his wife (and with a woman he didn't even care for, just used to stroke his ego).

Really, Diana had pretty poor judgment in men.

But I still think Hewitt was the worst- what kind of person auctions off his love letters?
He may have been an officer, but he was no gentleman.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Hoare didn't abandon his wife and when he was caught he did the right thing and fought for his marriage. That is a good thing IMO and he seems to be one of the few men associated with Diana who got out before it ended badly. If Hoare wasn't a catch than neither was Diana who was also a cheater.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Really, Diana had pretty poor judgment in men.

But I still think Hewitt was the worst- what kind of person auctions off his love letters?
He may have been an officer, but he was no gentleman.
People are generally fallible in some way. If you overlook his struggles after Diana, without 'boasting' or ego he was probably one of the more dashing characters one could imagine. In the prime of his youth he was a quiet type of spectacular, even tempered, and reminded her of a thoroughbred racehorse.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
People are generally infallible in some way. If you overlook his struggles after Diana, without 'boasting' or ego he was probably one of the more dashing characters one could imagine. In the prime of his youth he was a quiet type of spectacular, even tempered, and reminded her of a thoroughbred racehorse.
Dashing? Infallible? and how can you be a quiet type of spectacular ? The two things don't go together. As for thorough bred racehorses, I don't think that DIana was at all interested in horseflesh so I don't know what you mean by that, besdies which thoroughbred racehorses are usually seen as high strung and temperamental, not even tempered...
Old 10-28-2018, 02:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Hoare didn't abandon his wife and when he was caught he did the right thing and fought for his marriage. That is a good thing IMO and he seems to be one of the few men associated with Diana who got out before it ended badly. If Hoare wasn't a catch than neither was Diana who was also a cheater.
I wouldn't say he "fought for his marriage", simply that his wife had all the money, and he knew that if he left her, he would be poor and dependent on Diana. He would probably lose close contact with his children. He loved Diana but was wary of her very emotional dramatic nature and he probalbly had never intended to leave his wife or to get into an affair which would end his marriage.. so he pulled out... and went back to his wife...
Old 10-28-2018, 03:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Whatever reason he stayed with his wife is known only to him and her. Bottom line is he didn't break up his marriage, kept his mouth shut, and his family together. The one who comes out looking the worst is Diana and her stalking and playing the poor hurt wife card when she herself was sleeping with married men.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Whatever reason he stayed with his wife is known only to him and her. Bottom line is he didn't break up his marriage, kept his mouth shut, and his family together. The one who comes out looking the worst is Diana and her stalking and playing the poor hurt wife card when she herself was sleeping with married men.
I think it is pretty clear that he was fond of Diana, but he hadn't intended it to be a serious affair, because he didn't ever want to leave his wife. He had another long affair with a woman and he didn't leave his wife over her. Either he loved his wife best and didn't want to leave her or the children.. or there were more material reasons. Its probably a combination of both.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Very interesting take and one I never thought of. Didnt Diana employ Hewitt to teach her to ride? If Diana were a man people would be screaming sexual harassment. Not only does the gender double standard come in but also the Poor St. Diana double standard with her sad eyes helping her sell the "he betrayed me" line.
there is nothing pathetic about J Hewitt unless you might think it was pathetic that a man who was supposed to be an officer and gentleman would sink as low as he's done.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
A li
"K
I
She said"I thanked Richard Kay for letting me talk to my family. He said it was his pleasure. What I didn't know was that he was the 'Royal Correspondent' for the Daily Mail. Nor did I know that he was in possession of much more information about me than anyone in the Brigade might have suspected."

[/I]
oh he "didn't know? that R Kay was a Royal journalist? he didn't think it was stupid and indiscreet to use a journalist's phone to call Diana. the man is sickeningly low.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
there is nothing pathetic about J Hewitt unless you might think it was pathetic that a man who was supposed to be an officer and gentleman would sink as low as he's done.
It takes two to tango. Meaning that your qualification of Captain Hewitt is applicable as well to Diana: "... that a woman who was supposed to be a Princess and a Lady would sink as low as she's done".

Old 10-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
oh he "didn't know? that R Kay was a Royal journalist? he didn't think it was stupid and indiscreet to use a journalist's phone to call Diana. the man is sickeningly low.
It may have been set up by Diana herself for all we know. Richard Kay was the go to guy that was on Diana's speed dial (did they have speed dial back then?) if she wanted something "out there". If Diana did set it up to have Richard Kay accompany Hewitt, it would have been a feather in the cap of the Daily Fail. Kay was their golden goose that laid a whole lot of eggs in the Diana years.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It may have been set up by Diana herself for all we know. Richard Kay was the go to guy that was on Diana's speed dial (did they have speed dial back then?) if she wanted something "out there". If Diana did set it up to have Richard Kay accompany Hewitt, it would have been a feather in the cap of the Daily Fail. Kay was their golden goose that laid a whole lot of eggs in the Diana years.
what was set up by Diana?? She got Richard Kay an appointment in the Gulf? She could influence the Army or the Newspaper's dispositions?
She arranged for him to meet Hewitt and use his phone? From what I've read, Hewitt was prancing around in the Gulf waving letters from Diana for anyone to see and using a journalists phone in public to call her...
Old 10-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Its just my supposition of course but if the DM was sending any reporters/journalists to the Gulf and they knew of Hewitt and where he was stationed, its possible that they knew that Kay was just the guy to send to get close to Hewitt. The DM knew that Diana pretty much had Kay in her pocket as they were getting "scoops" through Kay so it just seems logical and no real surprise that Kay was the Gulf journalist. I'm wondering if Kay had ever done this kind of stint before. That would give us a clue. I'm not that overly informed on Kay's career but I never imagined him to be a war correspondent/journalist.

I get these odd thoughts from time to time.

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana