The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, I don't know that much about the years Diana spent with James Hewitt but after reading this thread, I think its time I read Hewitt's books "Moving On" and "Love and War". From what I can see, I can get both of them for around $6 so that'll be my reading list for June.

Stay tuned to this thread for my upcoming opinion of it all after I read the books.
Don't buy 'Love and War' Osipi, even if it is only a few dollars. If it's the one I'm thinking of that I got from the library years ago, Hewitt rattled on a lot about his army career and some other girlfriend and there wasn't much Diana in it. Maybe 'Princess in Love' would be better. If you can find a copy anywhere, that is!

Old 05-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Don't buy 'Love and War' Osipi, even if it is only a few dollars. If it's the one I'm thinking of that I got from the library years ago, Hewitt rattled on a lot about his army career and some other girlfriend and there wasn't much Diana in it. Maybe 'Princess in Love' would be better. If you can find a copy anywhere, that is!
Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-31-2016, 07:04 PM
Serene Highness

woudln't you be interested in his actual profession as well as his relationship with Diana? I dont like him at all and I'd never buy his books but he is IMO entilted to write about his soldiering, that's a legitimate part of his life... but writing abt Diana is where he went over the line..
Old 05-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
woudln't you be interested in his actual profession as well as his relationship with Diana? I dont like him at all and I'd never buy his books but he is IMO entilted to write about his soldiering, that's a legitimate part of his life... but writing abt Diana is where he went over the line..
Hewitt life encompasses his relationship with Diana.
He was involved with her for over a decade.

He cannot pretend the relationship did not exist.

This was his life and he can write anything and everything about his life including about his lovers.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

He was involved with her for 6 years she dumped him then took him back then dumped him for the last time in 92 or 93.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Who would read it if it didn't have anything about Diana?

That's all he has- that he was once the lover of a famous woman, and he sold her out for every penny he could get!

What an epitaph!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Who would read it if it didn't have anything about Diana?

That's all he has- that he was once the lover of a famous woman, and he sold her out for every penny he could get!

What an epitaph!
If he hadn't been her lover, he would have probably had a normal career and a perhaps boring but otherwise normal life and would not have needed to supplement his income by writing about his relationship with Diana.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why should Diana's life trump everyone else's life? I've never understood why everyone must 'make way' for her.

Why?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Why should Diana's life trump everyone else's life? I've never understood why everyone must 'make way' for her.

Why?
I think the point is that had James Hewitt not been involved in a relationship with Diana he may well have been just one of thousands of other Army officers who have never written a biography and we might never have heard of him.

That is not to say that the life and career of an Army officer would not be an interesting read, but without the Diana element to the book we wouldn't be discussing it at all.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Why?
You don't think it is wrong for a man to publicise his illicit affair with a woman esp one whose position could have been seriously damaged by his making the affair public? and to do ti for money..
Old 06-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
You don't think it is wrong for a man to publicise his illicit affair with a woman esp one whose position could have been seriously damaged by his making the affair public? and to do it for money...
People write their memoirs all the time. I don't have a problem with such.

You are a Diana partisan. You see Diana taking precedence over Hewitt, perhaps. Perhaps you see it as Hewitt forever deferring to Diana's life. I don't. Hewitt's life is his own. As it happens, that life was substantially shaped and changed by his association with her. It's his life to share or not share as he sees fit, not as Diana sees fit, or her partisans. Diana does not 'own' Hewitt. That's how I see it.

But more significantly, Diana spun a tale that made her out as victim, in all kinds of ways. Fact is, the story of Hewitt and Diana puts the lie to her spinning. For that fact alone his story is valuable to the full story of who Diana was.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
People write their memoirs all the time. I don't have a problem with such.

You are a Diana partisan. You see Diana taking precedence over Hewitt, perhaps. Perhaps you see it as Hewitt forever deferring to Diana's life. I don't. Hewitt's life is his own. As it happens, that life was substantially shaped and changed by his association with her. It's his life to share or not share as he sees fit, not as Diana sees fit, or her partisans. Diana does not 'own' Hewitt. That's how I see it.

But more significantly, Diana spun a tale that made her out as victim, in all kinds of ways. Fact is, the story of Hewitt and Diana puts the lie to her spinning. For that fact alone his story is valuable to the full story of who Diana was.
I totally agree.

These two people's lives were intertwined. Each was a part of the other's life, and in a significant way. I believe Hewitt has as much right to talk about what happened between them as anyone else has to talk about something that happened to them during their life.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see admiring Diana for her very many good qualities and for the admirable causes she promoted, as being 'partisan'. It doesn't mean that I or others who stick up for her are blind to her faults or vices (and goodness knows THEY'VE certainly been discussed ad nauseum on these threads.)

On the other hand, many of those who dislike Diana can barely find a good word to say about her, and when they do it's in a most begrudging way. She was a human being, like any other. Yes, she had terrible insecurities but she also touched thousands of lives in a good way.

As for James Hewitt. I wouldn't care if he talked about Diana until Kingdom come, all over the world. It's the doing so for money (a lot of money in his case) that I object to. It's the trying to sell her letters for millions in the US (a move that didn't succeed) the appearance on a TV show where Hewitt pretended to be hypnotised and in so doing stated an earlier date for when they'd met (bringing forth the whole 'Hewitt is Harry's father' debate once more.) In a way the woman who once loved him and whom he loved turned into a cash cow for him again and again. That's why I regard him as rather a grub.

Is Hewitt incapable of spinning lies or being deceitful? Why are his memoirs to be regarded as truth personified? He was and is just as anxious to spin his side of the tale as Diana ever was about hers.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I find it funny how those of us who are more fans of Diana like to complain about how those of us who aren't only focus on the negatives and talk about them "ad nauseum", ignoring how there are those here who only want to talk about her good traits, often ad nauseum, and are quick to attack any who disagree. It goes both ways.

As for whether or not Hewitt deserves to be attacked for his behaviour and profiting from his relationship... it's not nearly as black and white as it's being presented here. For starters, Diana opened herself up to exposure with the book (which... are we supposed to believe she didn't profit from that? Or the Panorama interview, for that matter?), with what appears to be no real consideration of how it would affect anyone other than Charles. In that regards, it's kind of hard to fault Hewitt for also trying to tell his side of the story. Doing things like trying to sell the letters is.. well, definitely not honourable or descent of him, but it's certainly not the first letters written by a famous person to be sold. I mean, you can buy books of Queen Victoria's letters if you want to and just last month someone sold a letter written by QEII about how she fell in love with the DoE for 14K. It doesn't make Hewitt a good guy, but he's not as much of a villain as we like to spin him to be.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Just take a look at how the balance has shifted on these threads with regard to Diana in the last few years, though! I'm a fan of Diana but if you look at my posts from way back when I first joined this forum and you'll see I've also discussed her faults, and there were many.

Several posters do like emphasising the damage etc that Diana caused but don't seem to be able to acknowledge that the woman also had many good points, or that she ever did a thing right, so much so that there was criticism on another thread of the way she and her children ate supper sometimes in front of the TV!

Queen Victoria's letters weren't stolen, as James Hewitt so disengenuously alleges about Anna Pasternak, who wrote 'Princess in Love',and the circumstances in which she got hold of Diana's letters.

Victoria's letters were first arranged and edited by her daughter Princess Beatrice, as the Queen had wanted her to. Later editions of her letters have been edited by distinguished historians, with the permission of the Sovereign.

Very often a few stray letters written to close friends by royalty are sold on after that person has died by their heirs or grandchildren etc. That's not nice either, but hardly the same thing as Hewitt did. His eyes, once he found himself in financial trouble, were always on the main chance, and for him that meant Diana=dollars/£s and he seemed to regard it as the gift that went on giving.

Probably logical from his point of view, but hardly the actions of an honourable or decent person.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
If he hadn't been her lover, he would have probably had a normal career and a perhaps boring but otherwise normal life and would not have needed to supplement his income by writing about his relationship with Diana.
If he hasn't been her lover no one would know who he was and we wouldn't be talking about him now.
When Hewitt and Diana both opened their mouths they risked backlash. Diana died soon after Hewitt is still alive and is will making money off this decades old story of sleeping with her. If she threw him under the bus then I guess he has a right to tell his side, and at least it did show Diana for her lies and manipulations. But they have been over for 24yrs and she has been dead for nearly 20. And every time he needs money he pulls out his "I had sex with Diana" card. I see him as being similar to Fergie.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
If he hasn't been her lover no one would know who he was and we wouldn't be talking about him now.
When Hewitt and Diana both opened their mouths they risked backlash. Diana died soon after Hewitt is still alive and is will making money off this decades old story of sleeping with her. If she threw him under the bus then I guess he has a right to tell his side, and at least it did show Diana for her lies and manipulations. But they have been over for 24yrs and she has been dead for nearly 20. And every time he needs money he pulls out his "I had sex with Diana" card. I see him as being similar to Fergie.
He is similar to Fergie in that way, but I don't dislike her, either. They are both people who think it's OK to make money from opportunities they have as a result of their intimate relationships. They are taking advantage of opportunities they had because of their connections, as most of us do one way or the other.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think that the only time its a bad thing to capitalize on another person and the relationship had with that person is when a confidentiality agreement has been signed. To my knowledge, Hewitt never signed one of those although, as I believe, he was in the employ of the Wales. Riding instructor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as selling the letters, once they were delivered, the letters became the sole property of Hewitt and he had the right to do whatever he pleased with them. They were his property. Perhaps it lowered him in the eyes of those that thought he should have remained quiet and have branded him a skunk but that's their right too. I still have yet to read Hewitt's book and do plan to but with the idea that don't have to believe a word he says if it doesn't work for me.

I agree with Curryong on how these threads change things. When I joined, all I knew about Diana or about anyone, come to think of it, in the Royal Family, I had gleaned from my ex-husband's National Enquirer. We divorced around the same time Diana and Charles separated and it wasn't until 2008 that I discovered TRF looking for silly Ascot hats on a warm, summer night. I've come to see Diana as the person she is. The good, the bad and balance in all of it. It also opened up a wealth of knowledge of all things royal for me and I've been amazed at how involved, complex, tricky and quite a few other verbs things surrounding aspects of British royalty are. A lot of it, I think, is due to the excellent moderation here to keep things on an even keel that we discuss, ask questions, state what we think (usually with factual backup) and generally enjoy the conversations. The "hate" camps and the "saint" camps are found elsewhere if that kind of thing floats your boat.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Majesty

He was originally William and Harry's riding instructor, but then Diana asked for lessons for herself. I don't know whether this was considered part of his work as a member of the Household Cavalry or whether he was employed part-time by the Waleses. His "kissing and telling" was considered the behaviour of a cad; but in legal terms, I think his having an affair with the wife of the Prince of Wales (I think that it's still considered treason, or at least it was at that time) was more of an offence than his books.

Technically, Diana's estate owns the copyright of the content of the letters she wrote to him. However, Hewitt owns the actual letters. He'd probably run into legal trouble if he tried to publish them. (Makes me wonder how Burrell got away with publishing the snippets that he did.)

The moderation here is excellent, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To my knowledge, Hewitt never signed one of those although, as I believe, he was in the employ of the Wales. Riding instructor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as selling the letters, once they were delivered, the letters became the sole property of Hewitt and he had the right to do whatever he pleased with them. They were his property.

A lot of it, I think, is due to the excellent moderation here to keep things on an even keel that we discuss, ask questions, state what we think (usually with factual backup) and generally enjoy the conversations. The "hate" camps and the "saint" camps are found elsewhere if that kind of thing floats your boat.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness

Im sorry, I am a Diana liker if Not lover, and I am fond of her in sptie of her many faults.. but It woudl not matter whether i liked her or not.. People shoudl not make money out of their intimate relationships, or publicise them in that way adn especially if it is a man about a woman. Diana's position was very delicate.. If she had not had public support once her affair with Hewitt became known (Luckily by and large the public felt sorry for her and felt she was entitled to a lover when her marriage had gone wrong).. his outing the affair might have destroyed her position with the RF. As it was, they felt that she was still very popular wth the public and if she was divorced, she would have to be treated fairly and with generosity..Fergie lost popularity with the public because she was so silly and her affair with Bryan was revealed and the RF didn't treat her very well in her divorce settlement.. J Hewitt obviously did not care about Di or he woudl have kept his mouth SHUT.

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana