The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

^ It was rumoured years ago that the notorious News of the World did manage to get a few strands of Harry's hair after he'd visited the barber and were going to test them. Whether they did or not, who knows!

Old 11-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Majesty

There is very little doubt in my mind that Harry's DNA has been tested by the press.

Editors would be willing to go to prison for that story and the income from the sale of papers should the result prove Hewitt to be the father of Harry would be worth it.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Serene Highness

Harry looks like a mixture of Charles and Philip. Anyone who still thinks he is Hewitt's son needs glasses or just loathes Diana ☕
William btw looks a lot like King Edward VII (imo).

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 11-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

^ I think that as William has got older the shape of his face has changed. He now has the same shaped face as Diana's brother, Earl Spencer.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
Harry looks like a mixture of Charles and Philip. Anyone who still thinks he is Hewitt's son needs glasses or just loathes Diana ☕
William btw looks a lot like King Edward VII (imo).
ITA. I've said this for some time...he looks like Edward!

LaRae
Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
^ I think that as William has got older the shape of his face has changed. He now has the same shaped face as Diana's brother, Earl Spencer.
Sometimes I think that he looks a bit like Peter Phillips especially in the lower part of his face. His eyes, nose and forehead are definitely Diana.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree. I hadn't realized it until recently, when I happened to see a clip of Earl Spencer giving the eulogy at Diana's funeral, and I went, "oh, wow, he looks so much like William!" I was surprised because I hadn't realized quite how much Williams face has continued to change.

I also recently saw a picture of Diana's father when he was young, and he looked almost frighteningly like Harry does now. Usually I mostly notice that, coloring aside, Harry looks a lot like Charles. The Hewitt claims are just nasty, and particularly unkind for Charles and Harry. I agree with Muhler that the press has likely tested Harry's DNA at some point, and just not gotten the scandalous results that they want.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Harry has always been Charles son. Don't let the tabs and Hewitt play with your heads.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
^ It was rumoured years ago that the notorious News of the World did manage to get a few strands of Harry's hair after he'd visited the barber and were going to test them. Whether they did or not, who knows!
Hair clippings are no good for a DNA test. They require a hair with a healthy follicle. They also require something to compare it with.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Hair clippings are no good for a DNA test. They require a hair with a healthy follicle. They also require something to compare it with.
Right, but can't you get hairs with follicles from pillow cases or hairbrushes or something? (And obviously there are other ways to test DNA, too - and I'm guessing some reporter has found some way to get ahold of something on at least one occasion, and if they can get a sample from Harry, they can get samples from other people as well).
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

You could also get DNA from a glass or cigarette. Hairs from a pillow case or sheet. We know that reporters hacked the phones and paid people at Sandhurst. It wouldn't be too hard to pay off a hotel maid, bartender or waiter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
You could also get DNA from a glass or cigarette. Hairs from a pillow case or sheet. We know that reporters hacked the phones and paid people at Sandhurst. It wouldn't be too hard to pay off a hotel maid, bartender or waiter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yep, easy to pay somebody off, or even to send someone in undercover, as happened in 2003, when the Mirror had a reporter go undercover as a footman at Buckingham Palace for a few weeks. If the tabloids can get their people inside BP, I'm sure there are plenty of other places they can get access to. Probably relatively easy in the grand scheme of stuff these reporters get up to.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Should James Hewitt sell Diana's letters?
James Hewitt is considering selling off private letters from Princess Diana | Royal | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

What puzzles me is how enflamed people can be about Hewitt's 'indiscretion' in talking about Diana, but the very same cannot muster one smidge of disapproval for the massive indiscretions of Diana, who (pretty much) single-handedly smeared the BRF with scandal across two decades (if we ignore Fergie). The disjunct is hard to ignore.

I doubt that is the case.

In this forum, many posters have stated that they do not excuse Diana.
I know I don't, her behavior was horrible, especially in the way it affected her young children.

BUT. I also believe Diana had mental problems.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to suggest she was a raving lunatic or something.

But she did have problems, she was very vulnerable, and there were people who exploited that.
And yes, I think Hewitt was one of them.

I totally despise that man, so perhaps I am not fair to him. But I think of him as total scum, and I feel sorry for Diana in the sense that, if it's true she loved him (which I don't believe, mostly because of her conversation with Gilbey when she referred to him dismissively as "that man") then she really gave her trust to the wrong man.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

That's right, no one excuses Diana for the part she played, but this guy Hewitt is nuts and he like milking his connections to Diana for all it's worth. He knows that her name makes money and he want to abuse that connection.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

We've all formed our own opinions about both Diana and Hewitt by now, based on many and varying factors, each giving weight to some more than others.

I take the view expressed by James Delingpole in the article linked by Dman, that Hewitt is a "flawed human being who deserves the same basic sympathy we all do when we make a mess of our lives."

I don't believe he exploited Diana's vulnerability; not intentionally, anyway. I believe he genuinely loved her and tried to help her at a time in her life when she was very unhappy and desperately needed someone to be devoted to her, but that he was out of his depth and unable to give Diana what she needed, or, indeed, to provide for himself what he needed.

He is a mediocre sort of person and was never going to rise to being at, or even near, the top, of the pecking order. He made some foolish decisions and his life fell apart and he had a bit of a breakdown and he's still in a mess. Ultimately he has only himself to blame, and I'm sure he knows that. He's not an admirable character, but I don't believe he deserves the vitriol that that has been directed at him. I don't believe in kicking a person when they are down.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:54 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I doubt that is the case.

In this forum, many posters have stated that they do not excuse Diana.
I know I don't, her behavior was horrible, especially in the way it affected her young children.

BUT. I also believe Diana had mental problems.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to suggest she was a raving lunatic or something.

But she did have problems, she was very vulnerable, and there were people who exploited that.
And yes, I think Hewitt was one of them.

I totally despise that man, so perhaps I am not fair to him. But I think of him as total scum, and I feel sorry for Diana in the sense that, if it's true she loved him (which I don't believe, mostly because of her conversation with Gilbey when she referred to him dismissively as "that man") then she really gave her trust to the wrong man.
Diana could also be very manipulative and when things didn't go her way, she'd totally cut people off. I think she basically looked to how much someone could love her and be there for her rather than realizing that love encompasses a lot of things like compromises, putting the other person first etc. If she had really loved Hewitt, she would have supported him in his military choices and stood besides him rather than ending things because he wouldn't be there for her. Once people were on her naughty list, they became known as "that man" or other derogatory remarks.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-11-2015, 01:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
We've all formed our own opinions about both Diana and Hewitt by now, based on many and varying factors, each giving weight to some more than others.

I take the view expressed by James Delingpole in the article linked by Dman, that Hewitt is a "flawed human being who deserves the same basic sympathy we all do when we make a mess of our lives."

I don't believe he exploited Diana's vulnerability; not intentionally, anyway. I believe he genuinely loved her and tried to help her at a time in her life when she was very unhappy and desperately needed someone to be devoted to her, but that he was out of his depth and unable to give Diana what she needed, or, indeed, to provide for himself what he needed.

He is a mediocre sort of person and was never going to rise to being at, or even near, the top, of the pecking order. He made some foolish decisions and his life fell apart and he had a bit of a breakdown and he's still in a mess. Ultimately he has only himself to blame, and I'm sure he knows that. He's not an admirable character, but I don't believe he deserves the vitriol that that has been directed at him. I don't believe in kicking a person when they are down.
I understand all of that, and I'm not knocking him, but I just find it low down for James Hewitt to continue to profit off of an affair he had many many years ago, which was due to a very painful time in her life. It would be very decent to just have some respect for Diana who's no longer here and for her children.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-11-2015, 05:04 AM
Majesty

I'm sorry, but her "children" are in their 30's and nobody is saying they shouldn't mention her because she was their mother, a great and wonderful influence in their lives and they loved her.

James Hewitt loved her back then, beyond reason. He embarked on an affair with probably the one woman in the world he should not have. He risked everything and lost everything. But unlike her sons, he had been cruelly cut out of her life, he was hurt, angry and didn't really understand what had happened.

Then came Morton's book and the Panorama Interview where she coldly threw him under a bus. People who have been hurt privately hurt alone. She shattered his life and then later, set the dogs on him and he suddenly found himself having to fight back in the full glare of the public as the media trawled and trashed his life. Life as he knew it was over and if he has had a less than sterling career he can hardly be blamed for looking at that time in his life very differently from her sons.

Diana was not a saint and Hewitt is not the Devil. Diana died and James lives on, forever branded as a 'Cad'. To say that you"find it low down for James Hewitt to continue to profit off of an affair he had many, many years ago, which was due to a very painful time in her life" laying the blame for the affair itself on Hewitt is a crock.

A painful time in her life? What is the excuse for each and every other affair Diana engaged in. Were all these men Cads exploiting "a very painful time in her life" too?

I believe he did try to sell the letters privately, probably hoping to sell to a collector, but that, like most things for him, turned to custard.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

I sometimes think we just go round and round in circles every time James Hewitt crops up in the newspapers because he is still trying to sell those wretched letters that no one wants and would probably be an extremely tedious read anyway. All these events happened 25 years ago and whys and wherefores of the "affair" became myth and legend a long time ago.
There, rant over.

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana