Diana and James Hewitt

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been pointing out that Hewitt was the one who "sold Diana out" for some time. She was afraid of the affair becoming common knowledge as it might well impact on her popularity with the public and hence put her in a weaker position if she and Charles were to divorce. But he dropped hints to journalists, and sold the story to Anna Pasternak to write a book. Since her death until his own falling into ill health, he has made a career of talking about her, giving interviews, being on reality TV, writing books etc, "selling her" over and over again tho' she has been dead for years.

All these different relationships, whilst she was still officially married. I don't blame either her or Charles for being unfaithful, because their marriage was effectively over by the late 1980s, but he's vilified for resuming his relationship with Camilla, which he's insisted didn't happen until the marriage had irretrievably broken down, and yet Diana is never criticised for her infidelities.

that's not the case, Alison. I have often seen people saying that "Diana had lots of lovers and Charles had only one" -I've seen posters saying that she married him with out any intention of being faithful to him. I certainly dont beleive that.
Diana had never had many boyfriends prior to her marriage, so when her marriage broke down she was doing what she mght have done earlier had she not married at such a young age, and dating different men. Charles had done his "playing the field" in his 20s and was ready to settle down in his 30s but he married the wrong woman....

that's not the case, Alison. I have often seen people saying that "Diana had lots of lovers and Charles had only one" -I've seen posters saying that she married him with out any intention of being faithful to him. I certainly dont beleive that.
Diana had never had many boyfriends prior to her marriage, so when her marriage broke down she was doing what she mght have done earlier had she not married at such a young age, and dating different men. Charles had done his "playing the field" in his 20s and was ready to settle down in his 30s but he married the wrong woman....

Fact remains that the Princess of Wales, the future Queen, was open to avances of a series of gentlemen of all sorts. One can point to the Prince of Wales, but the Princess herself was accessible and available, did not held the distance one might expect from a future Queen and mother of a future King. And not towards one special man, no... she repeatedly forgot her place, position, dignity and reputation, not always in romantic sense, by becoming way too informal with staff, with protection officers, with military, with others.

Imagine Letizia of Spain with a cavalry officer or Mathilde of the Belgians making herself available to a doctor. It is almost unimagineable, but Diana did this. I have always wondered about her lack of restraint in this.

Last edited:
Having been in the same situation as Charles and Diana (around the same time too) where the marriage had "irretrievably broken down", with even trying marriage counseling, my counselor said that a lot of times, people that are in the position that I was in are called "married singles". Nothing really that was termed "togetherness" in a marriage yet still legally married.

When you're in that kind of a position, you have a choice to either make a life on your own without the marriage partner or suffer in silence to preserve the appearance of "being married". Psychologically, we're sentient beings that do not thrive in isolation without close human contact. The pandemic has proven this. I have to agree with Denville on this that Diana needed and wanted to have her own life.

Human contact and intimate close friendship does not always mean "affairs" or "trysts" or "cheating". I do believe that Charles and Camilla had such a close, confidential relationship that had endured through the years. It was the same with me. My husband now was my best friend when I was going through that "married single" time yet we didn't become romantically involved until 5 years after I'd divorced and had had a relationship with someone else in that 5 years.

I don't blame Diana either for exploring her world around her that she may have missed out on before she married at a young age. The truth remains that if a marriage is a healthy, happy one, there's no reason to look elsewhere for intimacy. Charles and Diana never did reach the close, intimate "best friend" stage and that's what is a solid foundation for any marriage.

Just my two cents of course. :D

Fact remains that the Princess of Wales, the future Queen, was open to avances of a series of gentlemen of all sorts. One can point to the Prince of Wales, but the Princess herself was accessible and available, did not held the distance one might expect from a future Queen and mother of a future King. And not towards one special man, no... she repeatedly forgot her place, position, dignity and reputation, not always in romantic sense, by becoming way too informal with staff, with protection officers, with military, with others.

Imagine Letizia of Spain with a cavalry officer or Mathilde of the Belgians making herself available to a doctor. It is almost unimagineable, but Diana did this. I have always wondered about her lack of restraint in this.

And the Prince of Wales, the future king was open to advances from all sorts of women.. and not one special one....

Having been in the same situation as Charles and Diana (around the same time too) where the marriage had "irretrievably broken down", with even trying marriage counseling, my counselor said that a lot of times, people that are in the position that I was in are called "married singles". Nothing really that was termed "togetherness" in a marriage yet still legally married.

When you're in that kind of a position, you have a choice to either make a life on your own without the marriage partner or suffer in silence to preserve the appearance of "being married". Psychologically, we're sentient beings that do not thrive in isolation without close human contact. The pandemic has proven this. I have to agree with Denville on this that Diana needed and wanted to have her own life.

Human contact and intimate close friendship does not always mean "affairs" or "trysts" or "cheating". I do believe that Charles and Camilla had such a close, confidential relationship that had endured through the years. It was the same with me. My husband now was my best friend when I was going through that "married single" time yet we didn't become romantically involved until 5 years after I'd divorced and had had a relationship with someone else in that 5 years.

I don't blame Diana either for exploring her world around her that she may have missed out on before she married at a young age. The truth remains that if a marriage is a healthy, happy one, there's no reason to look elsewhere for intimacy. Charles and Diana never did reach the close, intimate "best friend" stage and that's what is a solid foundation for any marriage.

Just my two cents of course. :D

More to the point, Diana was not able to get a divorce like other women. She and Charles were not happy, he had checked out of the marriage mentally even more than she had and was involved with another woman. She was left in a marriage that was empty but the queen was most reluctant to let them divorce...

More to the point, Diana was not able to get a divorce like other women. She and Charles were not happy, he had checked out of the marriage mentally even more than she had and was involved with another woman. She was left in a marriage that was empty but the queen was most reluctant to let them divorce...

It's kind of ironic too that when Diana married Charles, its been said that a security of that marriage was knowing that Charles would never divorce her. This is a good example of the stringent expectations of the members of the BRF that live within a gilded goldfish bowl.

Us humans are really pretty complex beings aren't they? ?

It's kind of ironic too that when Diana married Charles, its been said that a security of that marriage was knowing that Charles would never divorce her. This is a good example of the stringent expectations of the members of the BRF that live within a gilded goldfish bowl.

Us humans are really pretty complex beings aren't they? ?

Its a sad fact that people who are traumatised by family problems, such as alcoholism and so on, often are determined NOT to repeat the problem when they marry and have children themselves, only to repeat the pattern. Lessons and traumas learned in childhood can be very deep..
Diana was made bitterly unhappy by her parents divorce and wanted to give her own children security.. and that's one reason why, although she was unhappy with Charles, part of her longed for the marriage to improve and work, and even though she was so unhappy at times, she didn't rush to end the marriage. She didn't want to be the one who sued for divorce and broke up her children's home finally.
Charles too probably meant to be a gentler more affectionate father to his boys than Phil had been to him, but he was busy with his work and because of the unhappy marriage he wasnt' around that much when they were little.
Diana was very young when she married and thought that she could by force of will make a marriage work and that as Charles was "the one man who could not divorce", her marriage would be secure.

Just to clarify some of the water under the bridge James Hewitt took half of his military retirement pay (L60,000) and invested L30,000 of it in the London golf driving range in 1994. It of course went bankrupt.

He then invested the other half (L30,000) in a horse riding school and it too went bankrupt. He then sold an American TV show for 10 million dollars. 10 million pounds was also the amount that he originally was asking for 64 of Diana's letters, but ended up only getting L100,000.

However in Marbella the 'Polo House' he only managed but did invest a small amount, he did not own it though. The owner was Ram Nandkishore and his idea was to use Hewitt as the draw for customers which lasted for a year and a half. He has stated at that time in 2009 that Hewitt was out of money. Customers stopped coming and the owner had to close the bar. Apparently Hewitt had 3 million left over from the sale of the American TV show and that is what he currently has now plus his L600.00 per month military pension. In July 0f 2004, he was arrested outside a restaurant in Fulham with a CNN journalist for the possession of cocaine. He has been seen several times driving his mothers' Fiat around Devon in past few years.

There really are no words to descirbe this man

Denville I watched a documentary on him and I couldn't even publish it on here as it showed how he really is. They followed him around with a camera and he honestly feels no shame. His nick name, 'The Cad' was really an understatement. His references to women was down right irresponsible and shows why he has no honor at all.

Denville I watched a documentary on him and I couldn't even publish it on here as it showed how he really is. They followed him around with a camera and he honestly feels no shame. His nick name, 'The Cad' was really an understatement. His references to women was down right irresponsible and shows why he has no honor at all.

Well he's finally gone silent, thank goodness, so it would be nice if there was nothing more about him..I think that he's given up talking about Diana, and has been nursing his own ill health and helping his mother.

No, he didn't die for her and didn't have the common decency to keep hs mouth shut about her

Diana was apparently chosen for her inexperience. Charles was serious with a lovely young woman, Davina Sheffield. She passed the Balmoral test with flying colors. An ex showed up and spoke to the media saying they lived together and Charles dropped her. She got married to someone else and has had a happy marriage. Charles was involved with other women beyond his twenties. He got involved with Lady Dale Tryon about the same time he was involved with Camilla and he was involved with Dale through Camilla's two pregnancies with Parker Bowles children. He also had an on again off again relationship with Janet Jenkins, some letters came out that show they were involved. So he was not "exclusive" with Camilla. Diana only moved on after Charles more or less dropped her, and they just kept up appearances. She was only ca. 23 years old and divorce was discouraged then. Diana came from a divorced home, and very much wanted a happy marriage and family. She also was besotted with Charles. I doubt she wanted to "move on" in the first place. Towards the end of her life, Diana had thought seriously of remarrying down the road and maybe have a child or two. Mountbatten wanted Amanda Knatchbull, his granddaughter, to marry Charles. She turned him down. I am wondering if Mountbatten would have instructed her to turn a blind eye to other women in Charles life. I think for a time Diana and Hewitt were happy but I think he got greedy, he never said no to the presents she bought him for one thing and after the breakup sought the company of wealthy women.

Last edited:
I suppose if P Charles wife did satisfy him there would have been no need for Camilla, or if she didn't and turned a blind eye everything would have worked out hunky dory for the immature, blameless Charles. GF Charles man-up and take care of his family.

I suppose if P Charles wife did satisfy him there would have been no need for Camilla, or if she didn't and turned a blind eye everything would have worked out hunky dory for the immature, blameless Charles. GF Charles man-up and take care of his family.

Take care of whose family? Charles is a grandfather

P Charles

Take care of whose family? Charles is a grandfather

P Charles young family wife and kids, whom ever they be. Diana was not satisfactory. If anyone he had married had been satisfactory he wouldn't have needed Camilla. A lot of men consider once they marry and have children they stay with their family and raise their kids together.

P Charles young family wife and kids, whom ever they be. Diana was not satisfactory. If anyone he had married had been satisfactory he wouldn't have needed Camilla. A lot of men consider once they marry and have children they stay with their family and raise their kids together.

? Charles' children are long since grown up so I dont know what you mean.

We are talking about James Hewitt and the past. Their wouldn't have been a Diana and James Hewitt if Charles had been a proper husband not just used her for an heir and a spare. I am an American and still read that part of of Charles current 2021 unpopularity is due to his treatment of his young family aka, Diana, William and Harry before she died.

We are talking about James Hewitt and the past. Their wouldn't have been a Diana and James Hewitt if Charles had been a proper husband not just used her for an heir and a spare. I am an American and still read that part of of Charles current 2021 unpopularity is due to his treatment of his young family aka, Diana, William and Harry before she died.

It takes two to make a marriage work and, frankly, Charles and Diana looked good on paper but as individuals, they meshed like oil and vinegar. They didn't know each other long enough to really discover that they were completely incompatible. They never reached a level of intimacy that comes with being on the same level physically, mentally and emotionally *before* marriage.

A "proper husband" is one that takes his time to know his partner, is a best friend and loves his partner and lives to be an active participant in the marriage. Diana wasn't a "proper wife" either come to think of it. ;)

That's a matter of opinion....

It takes two to make a marriage work and, frankly, Charles and Diana looked good on paper but as individuals, they meshed like oil and vinegar. They didn't know each other long enough to really discover that they were completely incompatible. They never reached a level of intimacy that comes with being on the same level physically, mentally and emotionally *before* marriage.

A "proper husband" is one that takes his time to know his partner, is a best friend and loves his partner and lives to be an active participant in the marriage. Diana wasn't a "proper wife" either come to think of it. ;)

I think that's pretty idealized. People marry for all sorts of reasons. But C and Diana didn't have much in common, were temperamentally incompatible and made each other unhappy. So it was probably inevitable that they woudl split up, lead separate lives or find other lovers... as they did....

I would agree that at the time Charles was unpopular and seen as the bad husband etc, etc. As time has went on IMO the public has viewed the whole thing as a tragedy, it has now became more obvious that the marriage should never have happened in the first place.
I also think the general public now see that Diana had faults as well, the manipulation of the media and the public.
Charles is in his 70's and is no longer the young dashing prince, he is compared to the young royals, but he has a great deal of experience and as we are all finding out now was well ahead of his time on various subjects.
Camilla and Charles appear to be very happy and contented, she is a great support to him and both are respected for their work.

Whatever issues he had with Diana or at least they had with each other I am not sure what evidence you have to criticise the treatment of his sons.

I would agree that at the time Charles was unpopular and seen as the bad husband etc, etc. As time has went on IMO the public has viewed the whole thing as a tragedy, it has now became more obvious that the marriage should never have happened in the first place.
I also think the general public now see that Diana had faults as well, the manipulation of the media and the public.
Charles is in his 70's and is no longer the young dashing prince, he is compared to the young royals, but he has a great deal of experience and as we are all finding out now was well ahead of his time on various subjects.
Camilla and Charles appear to be very happy and contented, she is a great support to him and both are respected for their work.

Whatever issues he had with Diana or at least they had with each other I am not sure what evidence you have to criticise the treatment of his sons.
well Not to bring up the "H" factor, its possible that now he's being criticized for his fathering skills back years ago. And I think that a lot of people have moved on in terms of "blaming Charles" and are not still disliking him for his faults as a husband a long time ago, who can see that it was a bad marriage and neither of them was to blame for not being able to make it work.. However some people will probably always (if they think of Charles) remember "he had a bad marriage and Diana was very critical of him.. Poor Diana."
#
I think that as a father, he did his best but in the early days, he and Diana were so much at odds with each other that his relationship with his sons suffered. Then she died and he tried to fill in for her, and did his best but his boys were teenagers in due course with all the rows and ructions that comes with dealing with rebellious teens.
He is not as popular as IMO he ought to be, but he's now as you say an older man, and suffers from comparison with "old and wise Queen", and young attractive W and Kate.
but to return to Hewitt, I think that few people could really blame Diana for seeking some affection and companionship from another man, but she was not always a good picker with men and JH was a pretty bad choice. She dated other men who were nicer but since she was starting dating in her 30s, a lot of the men out there were married and not always keen to end their marriages for her, even if they did care about her. However Hewitt was a selfish man who was incapable of really caring for anyone.. and he caused her a lot of heartache.

In this day and age I don't think an heir to the throne or any royal for that matter would marry a young woman barely out of her teens. And more women go for University degrees now. Back in 1980, it seemed to be more the "norm" for a young woman to marry that young. Back to Diana and Hewitt, it seems to me that the only man Diana appeared to have visions of marrying (after the divorce from Charles) was Dr. Khan. I think she felt that leaving with Hewitt would have been a bad idea some years earlier, she could have lost access to her sons. It turned out Hewitt never married. He should have walked away and never sold his story to an author, he probably would have been better off today. I think Charles and Diana may have made a go of it, if he had not preferred Camilla. If he only had some "flings" perhaps it would have worked out, but Camilla was around and it appeared to me to doom the C and D marriage.

Dont see how he'd be better off. He was retired on a small army pension... and probably wasn't a smart businessman.. so what would he have doen that would give him a large sum of money.
I doubt if Hewitt thought he was likely to get to marry Diana.. it wasn't all the clear if she'd be able to get a divorce from Charles.. and he wanted to get some loot as soon as their affair began to fadeout...

His reputation took a huge hit when he sold out Diana. Called the "cad" in the media and so forth. Perhaps less money would have been better than money made by selling out Diana. Just saying. I think it's better to make money honestly than selling out a famous person for a tell all book. I doubt he wanted to marry Diana and I doubt Diana would have left Charles and the boys for him. She had the terrible example of her mother leaving the family for another man and her losing access to her own children.

Back
Top Bottom