The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1121  
Old 12-30-2014, 01:05 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,094
I do want to point something out: the timing of these articles around the play, and the strange re-writing of history that is occurring. The below article is a very unusual savage piece on Hewitt. It's very short but it makes it's point very clearly, using twisted facts. (It's very important that Hewitt be seen in a negative light and so these articles fan the flames of ire with a man who actually just got caught in something bigger than he was.)

TEXT: "He was the dashing Army Major who swept Princess Diana off her feet – before breaking her heart and fleeing to Spain. But now her old flame is back in the UK - looking a mere shadow of his former self - and living with his mother. [...] The cavalry officer was seen looking pale with a greying, receding hairline and had gained a few extra pounds. The Gulf War tank commander had a five-year affair with Diana but broke her heart and then fled to Spain to open a restaurant. He moved to Spain after being dubbed ‘The Cad’ for writing a book about their affair and trying to sell Diana’s love letters for £10million."

Fact is, it was Diana who broke off with Hewitt, in a very cruel way. It was Diana who broke Hewitt's heart. They were in the midst of a very long relationship, probably the longest relationship Diana had maintained with any man, in fact. (People don't often consider that). Five years is the 'official' time sequence (there are reasons to believe it was longer, but definitely five years). That is not a minor connection. Both her sons were very much acquainted with Hewitt, and Harry in particular, it is said, had a great affection for him (understandable since he knew him from infancy).

The story goes that Hewitt went to war and Diana agonized watching the news reports on the war, worrying over his safety, doing so in the presence of her young sons, who knew him and loved him, too. She wrote letters to Hewitt, he to her. What one would expect. Then, when Hewitt came back, fully expecting to come back to her, she suddenly refused to take any of his calls. She froze him out utterly, without an explanation. Imagine what such an experience would be like for a man deeply in love, which I think Hewitt was, and in some way may still be. (My general sense of him, via books and news articles, was that he was a very gentle man, a likable man, and I assume still is). If you read biographies of Diana this proclivity of Diana's, of cutting people off sharply, without explanation, extended into her family, with her own mother, for example.

It is true that Hewitt then collaborated on an (ill-advised) book, that one might reasonably suspect was a kind of therapy for him. Diana then referenced that book (because she had to) in the Panorama interview, expressing such hurt at the 'betrayal' of a man she 'adored'. (She cut off a man without even an explanation that she 'adored'. I believe she adored him, btw. I believe they were genuinely in love, which explains none of how she treated him in the end). In that interview it was the most Hewitt had heard from Diana, that she 'adored' him, since she cut him off. It was after that book and Panorama that Hewitt went to Spain, long after Diana had put an abrupt end to the affair. But it was Diana who had done the cutting and whatever played out from that, well.....

Motivations for actions are complicated, I would think, but in all this it strikes me that Hewitt, outside the book, maintained a kind of loyalty, always firmly maintaining the 1986 timeline that safely put him out of the line of paternity and 'saved' Diana at least that significant faux pas.

However, as the years have passed and it is clear that Harry shares only hair-color and not bone structure with Hewitt, it appears Hewitt is willing to state the truth. For his candor he is rewarded with such DM articles that make him out the cad and a sad, clown figure, when what I see is a man who deeply loved, intimately, across the better part of a decade, and found himself 'set aside' in an instant, no reason given, no good-bye offered. It is something, perhaps, that he never got over. (I have never read his book btw). His story, as all of their stories (how I would like to hear Camilla's story, her truth, but she will never tell it) would be an interesting story to hear imo.

Anyway, my point is that Hewitt is not anyone to rage against imo, or cast aspersions upon. He was possibly a pawn, used while it suited someone in a higher social position. A good, gentle man who loved unwisely and has never recovered from it. Consider if the roles were reversed, if a young woman were in the position of Hewitt. The outrage would be unambiguous, I think, against the man of higher social rank.
__________________

__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #1122  
Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 AM
sthreats's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: midwest, United States
Posts: 397
Since the play and statements imply Things about P.Harry's parentage. Can't he sue on behalf of himself.
We all get this wasn't a good marriage in the end. But I don't believe P. Diana was giving it away with a dollar coupon though out her marriage.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1123  
Old 12-30-2014, 03:47 AM
Queen Camilla's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,861
The reason the Hewitt story won't die is because Diana was not truthful.

In the Morton book she should have come 'clean'.

The story that Hewitt was hired to teach William and Harry to ride is also hollow. Diana married into a horse family why did she need to go outside of the family to find someone to teach W&H to ride.

She collaborated with Morton but ignored a large part of her life and that life was Hewitt.

Hewitt may have been upset/hurt that he was completely written out of her life and so he collaborated on his own book.

The Morton book was Diana's downfall.
Reply With Quote
  #1124  
Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The story that Hewitt was hired to teach William and Harry to ride is also hollow. Diana married into a horse family why did she need to go outside of the family to find someone to teach W&H to ride.
Interesting point to bring up as IIRC, Highgrove is practically right down the road from Aunt Anne's Gatcombe Park which was very much centered around horses.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #1125  
Old 12-30-2014, 05:12 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Since the play and statements imply Things about P.Harry's parentage, can't he sue on behalf of himself? We all get this wasn't a good marriage in the end. But I don't believe P. Diana was giving it away with a dollar coupon though out her marriage.
I come to all this as someone who did not live it but who has read about it. Growing up I was not involved with Diana. My attention was elsewhere. The result is that I have a more cerebral approach informed by my reading, and conversations I had with my mother when I was grown.

I don't think there is a need to judge Diana. What she did is her business, and in point of fact, she was behaving by the 'unwritten rules' of her class. They were her choices. Her own parents modeled infidelity. There is no reason to think that Diana perceived her actions as 'unacceptable', though she was skating a very fine edge with Hewitt (i.e. how soon into the marriage she engaged a dalliance).

I 'know' Diana and Charles only via what I have read about them and it appears that of the two of them Diana was the impulsive one, quick to act and react. Charles appears more deliberate, earnest and fastidious about duty and such. Others have mentioned that Diana required Charles to give up his circle of friends. Quite so. It went as far as Diana requiring him to give up his dog. This all points to considerable work expended on making the marriage work so I somehow doubt Charles was straying until he said he did. This is relevant to my point.

Diana's downfall was her appalling lack of discretion. Charles maintained absolute discretion regarding his personal business, and never spoke ill of Diana at any time. In fact, we actually do not really know when Charles reconnected with Camilla. It's all supposition, a kind of riffing on a theme. We know he 'went off the reservation' in 1986, but we actually don't know with whom he did so. We do know that by the late 80's he was with Camilla, but we know that only because of Diana, and then the tapes. All the rest is supposition and tabloid rumor that was rife at the time (fueled by Diana's accusations). I have not found anything regarding Camiliia being with Charles before the late 80's verified in anything I have read. This appears to be a wild rumor (actually a smear directed at Camilla) that has achieved a kind of 'reality' through the sheer volume of repetitions.

All the above is relevant in regards a lawsuit. All of this would get re-hashed, very likely not to the benefit of Diana's memory. There's the matter of truth-telling, who was and who wasn't.

As best as I can make out in my reading, Diana collaborated on the Morton book because by the late 80's rumors were flying, and there were her own (Squidgy) tapes. Pretty scandalous stuff, even for the time (my impression). Harry would have very little in the way of a legal case given all the information tumbled before the general public by his mother, if a legal case were even considered wise and allowed by the BRF, which I'm sure it wouldn't be. In the end Harry might be faced with taking a DNA test, the ultimate humiliation, I would think.

In the end, Hewitt has a right to his truth, his life story not sublimated to the needs of the BRF. A lawsuit initiated by Harry would be a perilous undertaking, the outcome of which might not be happy. JMO.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #1126  
Old 12-30-2014, 05:38 AM
sm1939's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,297
I think Hewit should crawl back under the stone he came from , so sad dragging this all up again .
Reply With Quote
  #1127  
Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
In the end, Hewitt has a right to his truth, his life story not sublimated to the needs of the BRF. A lawsuit initiated by Harry would be a perilous undertaking, the outcome of which might not be happy. JMO.
Why do you say it would be a "perilous undertaking" ? Do you still think that Harry might be Hewitt's son ? I don't think he is, but, if he were, the public deserved to know it as Harry is currently third in line to the throne.
Reply With Quote
  #1128  
Old 12-30-2014, 08:05 AM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 3,363
My God, time has been cruel to him !
Reply With Quote
  #1129  
Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,331
Diana and James Hewitt

I don't know anything about the British legal system but I think the fact that is a play which is a work of fiction would rule out a lawsuit.

Oh by the way, Harry isn't 3rd in line. He is 4th and moving to 5th in April.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #1130  
Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I don't know anything about the British legal system but I think the fact that is a play which is a work of fiction would rule out a lawsuit.

Oh by the way, Harry isn't 3rd in line. He is 4th and moving to 5th in April.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yes, that is right. Harry became 4th line after Prince George's birth and will move to 5th when the DoC gives birth again. He will move back to 4th though when Prince Charles ascends the throne, or even to 3rd if Prince William succeeds his grandmother directly.
Reply With Quote
  #1131  
Old 12-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,633
I would think that a lawsuit would be quite laughable and would, in fact, give the play even more attention than it deserves. If left alone and considering the subject matter of it, I would tend to believe this will be a production that will close its door very soon after opening night.

Face it. Stories and plays and movies centered around a divorced Princess of Wales that has been dead for going on 18 years has passed its sell by date.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #1132  
Old 12-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 185
Diana may have grown up in a horse riding family, but she was not on good terms with her in-laws or all the close with her sisters. William and Harry may be different, but the rest of the family do not drop-in and generally communicate through 3rd parties. So the possibility that Diana would turn to Princess Anne or some other family member to teach her sons how to ride is very far fetched. But to turn to an army officer to teach the boys how to ride also means that Charles was out of the family picture, otherwise he would have been the one to each his son how to ride.
I really don't think a timeline will support Hewitt or this play's allegations as to Harry
Reply With Quote
  #1133  
Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,419
He's a terrible man, who should be ashamed of himself. We're about to go into 2015, he should crawl back under the 90's rock from which he came. All his actions were to try to make himself relevant and to gain a name for himself.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #1134  
Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
[Fact is, it was Diana who broke off with Hewitt, in a very cruel way. It was Diana who broke Hewitt's heart]//quote

LadyNimue,

I completely agree with you. One of Diana's biographers has stated her rationale for dumping Hewitt is that she saw his going off to war as "abandonment" of her...as incredible as it sounds. But it completely fits in with everything we know now about her emotional/psychological makeup.


Incredibly insightful remarks from you...frankly the best I have read here so far. Including my own!
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #1135  
Old 12-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brooklyn, United States
Posts: 165
I truly believe that a DNA was tested since Prince Harry is a close member to the throne of England. The Royal family does not have to disclose this to the public and since PC seems to dislike Diana he would have sanctioned it.
Reply With Quote
  #1136  
Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,381
I agree he should crawl back under his rock

Will Diana’s love rat ever let her rest in peace? | Theatre | Entertainment | Daily Express
Quote:
HE kissed and told about their love affair then attempted to sell his letters from the Princess. Now James Hewitt has hit a new low by backing a play which questions Prince Harry’s paternity.
Reply With Quote
  #1137  
Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
He's completely horrid.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #1138  
Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brooklyn, United States
Posts: 165
Princes William and Harry are young men now and should speak up to those who are impinging against their mother's character. Enough is Enough!!.
Reply With Quote
  #1139  
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Since the play and statements imply Things about P.Harry's parentage. Can't he sue on behalf of himself.
We all get this wasn't a good marriage in the end. But I don't believe P. Diana was giving it away with a dollar coupon though out her marriage.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Why would he sue, when he has already stated that he is sure the play is accurate?

Sorry, but I don't believe Hewitt was a good and decent man who was deeply in love.
A man like that would never have sold his love letters. (What kind of man does that, anyway?)
Reply With Quote
  #1140  
Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Why would he sue, when he has already stated that he is sure the play is accurate?

Sorry, but I don't believe Hewitt was a good and decent man who was deeply in love.
A man like that would never have sold his love letters. (What kind of man does that, anyway?)
He's sleazy and sleazy people do things like that.
__________________

__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
James Carnegie, 3rd Duke of Fife (1929-2015) and Family betina British Royals 30 07-06-2015 10:12 AM
James and Julia Ogilvy and Family News 1: December 2003- flirtmooni British Royals 19 05-09-2014 06:23 AM
Why do you like Diana? juliamontague Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 222 12-21-2011 03:40 AM
Sophie Gives Birth to a Son: James Alexander Philip Theo, Viscount Severn - 17.12.07 BeatrixFan The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family 237 01-27-2008 06:11 AM
James James Mclean Member Introductions 1 10-30-2007 06:19 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece haakon kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince oscar princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stéphanie's daytime outfits queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sheikh hamdan bin mohammed state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises