The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't understand why we keep discussing Hewitt. He was a cad, and I have pity for any woman who managed to get involved with him.

As for Harry, even if he were biologically Hewitt's child, legally he is the child of the Prince of Wales. And unless Charles decides to untie that relationship, that's how it remains. Personally, I don't believe in Hewitt's paternity, and I don't think we're doing Harry any favors by bringing up this old chestnut. As for the red hair and resemblance, it's not improbable that as small as the old gene base was in England that there is a resemblance between people who are unrelated as far as we know. Look at the resemblance between Diana and Sophie, for example.

Hewitt belongs next to Burrrell in the dustbin. Thus spake Iowabelle!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post

Hewitt belongs next to Burrrell in the dustbin. Thus spake Iowabelle!
Iowabelle hath quoth.

That'll do it, then...We just need a couple of dustbins and we can wrap this thread up.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The fact that she remained a public figure and continue to vilify him until almost the end of her life e it.
How did Diana vilify Charles by the time of her death? By 1997 she and Charles were on friendly terms.

I believe Harry has Phillip's nose, he resembles his grandfather more than his father imo.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

Actually, I hadn't noticed until recently but I do think Harry looks quite a bit like Prince Philip in his teens and 20s. The eyes and eyebrows seem similar.

I had noticed that Harry doesn't seem to have inherited Diana's nose, which William definitely has. Harry seems to have a more delicate nose, perhaps similar to the DoE or even George VI and the Duke of Windsor.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Actually, vilifying a philandering spouse is common. Charles was a philanderer, at best. Diana sought solace with the wrong people. Harry looks like many of his Spencer relatives and some of his Hanover ones, too. Iowabelle is right. This is old nonsense and one of the chief protagonists unable to defend herself.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
How did Diana vilify Charles by the time of her death? By 1997 she and Charles were on friendly terms.

I believe Harry has Phillip's nose, he resembles his grandfather more than his father imo.

The words 'almost to the end of her life' were there for a reason.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Well, Skydragon believes Harry is Hewitt's son, and I don't think anyone could call her a Diana fan to the anything.

I did mean the people I know personally, not those in cyber-space.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Actually, vilifying a philandering spouse is common. Charles was a philanderer, at best. Diana sought solace with the wrong people. Harry looks like many of his Spencer relatives and some of his Hanover ones, too. Iowabelle is right. This is old nonsense and one of the chief protagonists unable to defend herself.
And yet the saga never ends!

Unfortunately, this will follow Harry forever (at least with some people) other people will move on. For Charles and Henry it appears at least that there is no question. And honestly, if Hewitt had any question about Henrys paternity .he could have requested a DNA test when Harry is minor. Not sure how that would have played out in the courts and/or Press, or if the Palace would have squashed it but there you have it.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it will follow Harry for very many British citizens, until his death. I don't know why people on here get so upset about the belief, for many in the UK, IMO (no I haven't spoken to them all), it is taken as fact that Hewitt is Harry's biological father. They see overwhelming similarities between the two, eyes, mouth, hairline and especially the chin.

No amount of righteous indignation from pro Diana posters on here is going to force a change of opinion, especially of those that have never even heard of, or have any interest in The Royal Forums.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
No amount of righteous indignation from pro Diana posters on here is going to force a change of opinion,
Just as how no amount of righteous indignation from non-pro Diana posters will force a change of opinion. I agree, people will believe what they want to believe.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I think it will follow Harry for very many British citizens, until his death. I don't know why people on here get so upset about the belief, for many in the UK, IMO (no I haven't spoken to them all), it is taken as fact that Hewitt is Harry's biological father.:
I have to agree with Skydragon, living in England but temporarily abroad, I have always found that most British people believe that Harry is Hewitt´s son and this is the important part - they couldn´t care less.
They accept it, they do not get indignant about it, and that is that.
They all wish Harry well and accept him as Prince Charles does as the grandson of the Queen so I really can´t understand the indignation that seems to appear about this abroad. If the British believe it and don´t get upset why should anyone else?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
people will believe what they want to believe.
On that note we will leave the discussion here rather than continue to go round in ever decreasing circles rehashing the same arguments over and over.
If anyone comes up with conclusive proof one way or the other (such as the results of a certified DNA test) they are free to reopen the discussion.

Pending that unlikely event, and in the absence of any further public statements by the [living] parties concerned, the thread should resume the topic of Diana and James Hewitt, rather than Prince Harry and James Hewitt.

thanks
Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Hewitt seems so skeevy now, but he must have been something sparkly before, in the 1980s. Does anyone know if he was considered by his fellow officers to be a decent fellow before he started blabbing, or was he always considered a bit of a git?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness

That's an interesting question. All we really know is what he's said himself, and what Diana said. Of course when things were going well between them she would have been glowing about him...

I would assume that once a cad, always a cad. But maybe poverty and the lure of money changed him?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Extracts from the foreword Captain Rupert Mackenzie-Hill, The Life Guards, wrote for Hewitt's "Love and War", 21.7.99:

"A fairly consistent description by those who knew him during any part of his fifteen years in the Army is of a capable, charismatic leader, respected and universally liked....................I've seen a man at the top of his career - picked amongst fellow officers to lead what was to be the only unit from our regiment to see front-line action during the Gulf Conflict. I was with him during that conflict when he was nicknamed 'Ice Man' for the extraordinary coolness and quiet, capable manner with which he led us into Iraq to take part in over 60 separate contacts with the then enemy, for which he was Mentioned in Despatches for his courage in action."

"I've watched James' ranking as public enemy rise to the number one slot - right up there with Saddam himself. I've watched his life being destroyed by the effects of bad publicity, by the back-turning of people who believed what they read in the papers - the public, some friends and a few influential senior officers in his regiment, a regiment to which he was and still is devoted. I know a little about the isolation and of the level of despair to which James sank and the effect this had on his family. I've read the hate mail and I've watched the newspapers manipulate the facts and ruthlessly hound a sensitive, courageous and honourable man like the pack of cackling hyenas they can at times be".

"(About the book) If you read between the lines, I hope you will see evidence of the goodness in the man and the inherent evil of the 'gutter' press. A press that thrives on sensationalism for its own commercial ends and that seems capable of talking about people only as either extremely nice, or as extremely nasty. And if you talk to any of the many people who know James well, you will find they will side with the decent guy description."
Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Nobility

Roslyn,
Thank you for taking the time to type extracts from the foreward of Hewitt's book. Captain Rupert Mackenzie-Hill summed up the press very nicely.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

All anyone can do is give their own opinion of James Hewitt and as we know, that is not acceptable to many, whether it is prefaced with IMO or not.

It really wouldn't matter to some, whether he was a gentleman, (until what he possibly saw as his betrayal by the woman he loved), he will always be condemned. If he speaks up he is sleezy, creepy, nasty, if he stays silent, he is still portrayed as something on the bottom of a shoe.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Majesty

I respect the work that he's done as a soldier. Absolutely. But in regard to the Diana business, I think that he should have kept his own council.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 AM
Courtier

His legacy is that of a shameless cad.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He doesn't have a legacy, last time I saw him he was on Top Gear and even Jeremy and Richard did not know who he was.

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana