The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
The reason Harry's paternity is under a cloud of suspicion in some quarters is that (a) a lot of people don't know that Diana comes from a family of redheads and therefore assume that Harry must have got his red hair from somewhere other than Charles and Diana and (b) Hewitt went onto the airwaves and the tabloids after Diana's death and coyly hinted that they'd been lovers since a lot earlier than they were thought to have known each other. This isn't simply Diana's fault.

I've often wondered what Hewitt's story about his hypnosis-induced revelations would have looked like if William had been the red-haired son.
So true Elspeth! So true!

You only have to look at her immeadiate family, Lady Sarah, the Earl Spencer to see the red hair in the Spencer family. And I believe one of Lady's Sarah's children (maybe Alexander?) has it as well.

In regards to Hewitt, I think he is truly an opportunist of the worst kind. It truly bothers me when people make claims about other people, and the other person is not here to defend themselves. Yes, they had an affair and it might have occured earlier but only two people really know if that is okay. Diana is dead and Hewitt's word doesnt really mean much IMO.

I also agree if Harry was not Charles's son (and I don't believe that for a second) Buckingham Palace is not going to confirm or deny it. Harry is for all intents and purposes is Charles's son...It takes a lot more than producing the sperm (sorry to be graphic) to be a true father.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Courtier

Absolutely true, but unfortunately monarchies don´t think that way, they even repudiate a child for being illegitimate even when everyone knows/or knew the child was the King´s.
Hewitt´s word doesn´t mean much and Diana was caught out in lies but is now long dead. It is a cloud that is going to hang over poor Harry´s head for ever and in the future but as long as by some terrible accident of fate he is not going to be the next King - all is well.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Absolutely true, but unfortunately monarchies don´t think that way, they even repudiate a child for being illegitimate even when everyone knows/or knew the child was the King´s.
Hewitt´s word doesn´t mean much and Diana was caught out in lies but is now long dead. It is a cloud that is going to hang over poor Harry´s head for ever and in the future but as long as by some terrible accident of fate he is not going to be the next King - all is well.
I don't agree with this, Wisteria. I think that there is a certain element who giggles and enjoys dragging the cloud over Harry's head because they have some sort of strange interest in continuing to disparage a long dead person who they just can't stop hating - in spite of the fact that few if any actually met her, let along were her bosom companions, long-time privvy to her secrets (dailymail, Tina, Hewitt: dailymail, Tina, Hewitt: dailymail, Tina, Hewitt, lather-rinse-repeat.)

But I don't think Harry wastes much time dwelling on it. I happen to not slavishly admire the PoW but I think he's made it clear as a parent that he is Harry's father, period. Proud of him for his service, not entirely proud at his many foibles.

Anyone who witnesses Harry's foibles and missteps can clearly see the strong imprint of the Duke of Edinburgh as well. That boy is a Windsor via the Mountbatten bloodlines, to be sure!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
... [snipped] I think that there is a certain element who giggles and enjoys dragging the cloud over Harry's head because they have some sort of strange interest in continuing to disparage a long dead person who they just can't stop hating - in spite of the fact that few if any actually met her, let along were her bosom companions, long-time privvy to her secrets (dailymail, Tina, Hewitt: dailymail, Tina, Hewitt: dailymail, Tina, Hewitt, lather-rinse-repeat.) ... [snipped]
I am inclined to agree with you. Personally I think that it is more than likely that the men in grey suits have already taken steps in dealing with this tricky unpleasant matter. Given the circumstances and for the sake of the institution, it would be unwise not to provide for every contingency. At the moment, it is all right to continue to rehash the stories. Why not? The late Diana, Princess of Wales is not here to dispute them.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Courtier

I think hate is a very strong word to use, surely no one hates or even hated her. The problem is the heritage she left Harry, whatever is behind the reasoning the cloud is there. It is very like the "notes" left by Catherine II of Russia about her son Paul I, it is said that it left a cloud of doubt even among the Romanovs.
No one can doubt that Prince Charles is a good father to Harry, there is very strong affection that can be seen by any observer, the problem is not that, it is the doubt left by his mother´s confession of her affair.
You say there is no doubt about him being a Windsor, well good, we will have to take your word for it as nothing has been said about this officially and I am fairly certain nothing will be said in the future.
He is HRH Prince Harry and nothing will change that not even his mother´s indiscretion so there is really nothing more to be said about it.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

You say there is no doubt about him being a Windsor, well good, we will have to take your word for it as nothing has been said about this officially and I am fairly certain nothing will be said in the future.
He is HRH Prince Harry and nothing will change that not even his mother´s indiscretion so there is really nothing more to be said about it.
You really don't have to take my word for it; I think the fact that you can go to the official Web site of the BRF and see him listed as the son of Charles of Wales, that his name is Wales, that his place is third in the line of succession. I consider the word of HM to be reliable. (And I'm not just saying that because I really admire her.)

I completely agree with the latter part of the quoted section of your post above, but there are lots of spoons in this world, Wisteria; spoons that like to stir-stir-stir trouble. Their glee in stirring this pot is palpable. But cheers to you for your sentiments, which are admirable.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Courtier

Please don´t misunderstand what I said whether unwittingly or otherwise. No one has any doubt that officially Harry is the son of Charles and his name is Wales. I am talking about the doubt engendered because of his mother´s indiscreet broadcast, which is a very lamentable legacy to leave a son.
There has been nothing about this by the royal family and there never will be
and that is how it should be, but I am afraid this cloud is going to follow him all his life and perhaps into history books which I find very sad.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Courtier

Ah, now I see what you are saying, Wisteria. Well, then it is what it is; just as the well-wishers of the DoC lament that she remains known primarily as the mistress and that her place in history will be defined by this, then I suppose you lament that Harry's place in history will be defined as bastardy, and that your preference is to keep that "cloud" well-activated.

I think Harry is well aware of who he is, and the BRF is well aware of who he is. And I see a chip off the old Mountbatten block, especially with those glorious pictures of the young Duke clowning with his family that came out about a year ago. But then again, until proved otherwise, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and not look for stains of bastardy or engage in behind-the-hands-tittering. One generally finds what one seeks; I believe that's the explanation for cognitive dissonance as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Do you really think that readers of history books are going to titter?
I don´t think there is any doubt that until her marriage DOC was Prince Charles´s mistress.
Not talking about things and sweeping them under the carpet does not make them go away, I am only sorry that the poor boy will have to go through his life with some people doubting his paternity, by the way that doesn´t necessarily mean that I do, although you don´t seem to have given me the benefit of the doubt that you say is your tendency.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

But who is seriously doubting his paternity other than those in this thread? It doesn't appear to be in the UK newspapers...only when Hewitt raises the situation. Or rather makes a innuendo that he could be the father.

And yet to my knowledge, he has provided no proof that he knew Diana or at least had a relationship with her prior to Harry's birth. But if I am missing that information, can someone provide a source?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Courtier

Hewitt was called a few names in the British tabloids for what he said or wrote about Diana so I don´t think anything he says about the subject has much credibility.
The only fact that is known publicly is that he was Diana´s lover and that is because she told us this.
He was supposed to have met her first when Harry was two years old,
so that seems to be the end of the story but it would have been better for everyone if she had never made that, in my opinion, very unwise and not very well thought out broadcast. When I say not well thought out, I mean she might not have realised how far public speculation would go.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I'm sure it didn't cross her mind that she wouldn't be around and things would spiral out of her control.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Gentry

Whatever Mr Hewitt claims or hints, Prince Charles is Prince Harry's father according the Pater est quem nuptiae demonstrant rule (the nuptials show who the father is). According to Common Law, the marriage of the mother declares the paternity and the father of a child is the man to whom the mother is married at the time of the birth of the child.

That said, Prince Harry has a lot of resemblance to the young Duke of Edinburgh and in my opinion, there is no doubt in my mind that Prince Charles is Prince Harry's father and not only because the law says so.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Majesty

Exactly. I'm surprised that someone by now hasn't suggested that the Duke is Harry's father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post
That said, Prince Harry has a lot of resemblance to the young Duke of Edinburgh and in my opinion, there is no doubt in my mind that Prince Charles is Prince Harry's father and not only because the law says so.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Or Hewitt's father...
Old 05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
But who is seriously doubting his paternity other than those in this thread? It doesn't appear to be in the UK newspapers...
As was commented on by kimebear, the Army sites are full of it. There are very few people that I know who do not doubt that Hewitt is Harry's biological father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post
Prince Charles is Prince Harry's father according the Pater est quem nuptiae demonstrant rule (the nuptials show who the father is). According to Common Law, the marriage of the mother declares the paternity and the father of a child is the man to whom the mother is married at the time of the birth of the child
I am not sure that this rule applies to Royal marriages/parentage, I am not even sure it stands up in modern lawsuits.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

At the height of the War of the Wales, don't you think that Charles would have had a paternity test done, if he had any doubts and then used that against Diana?

It would certainly have made divorce easier and cost a lot less.

It would have damaged Diana more if it was proven, while she was alive, that she had allowed another man to father a child with her.

As much as I disliked Diana I have always believed that Harry is Charles' son and that he has the Mountbatten bloodlines. He reminds me a lot of Philip's father, from the limited photos we have of Andrew of Greece.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
As was commented on by kimebear, the Army sites are full of it. There are very few people that I know who do not doubt that Hewitt is Harry's biological father.I am not sure that this rule applies to Royal marriages/parentage, I am not even sure it stands up in modern lawsuits.
I can post a lot of things on a lot of websites. It doesn't make it true.
Is this on the official Royal Army website?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure what difference it would make whether it was an official site or not, to be honest - as you said, people can post a lot of things and it doesn't make it true. It depends on the source of their information, and if the source was Hewitt and his hypnosis (as though a person with a functioning brain would require hypnosis to remember when he first started sleeping with the Princess of Wales ), or Diana and her fantasies, or even some alleged freelance DNA results or other on specimens claimed to have been from Prince Harry, those aren't exactly unimpeachable sources.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
. . . . . . It depends on the source of their information, and if the source was Hewitt and his hypnosis (as though a person with a functioning brain would require hypnosis to remember when he first started sleeping with the Princess of Wales ) . . . . . .
What Hewitt really needs and doesn't have is a witness. Never one to let the truth get in the way of publicity and money, Hewitt created one. The hypnotist! who will, I am sure, protect their reputation and confirm that he was indeed under hypnosis. Ergo, what he said was true and ta dah!! We have a witness.

It is Hewitt who has engineered this situation. His 15 minutes of fame were up, Diana was dead and couldn't squash his innuendos, Harry has red hair so . . . . . nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, and he is back in the public eye.

On a personal note however, it is my belief that the only reason he has not maintained his "father" prospects is that he's not and someone whispered little itty bitty legal words in his less than shell like ear!

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana