Diana and James Hewitt

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there's plenty of blame to go around here. A lot of it has to do with the tabloid press, which is in the business of making money in whatever way it can. If people weren't so very interested in these rumours, the tabloids wouldn't keep on about them. This didn't become an issue until Hewitt started hinting that he and Diana were intimate years before they were supposed to have met in the first place - all that business about being under hypnosis or whatever. It isn't Diana's fault that he didn't keep his mouth shut about that. If he really believed he was Harry's father, there were ways to find out that didn't involve yapping to the tabloids; if he didn't believe it, then he should have held his tongue. The guy apparently was looking for money, and like a lot of people he decided that exploiting Diana was a good way to get some. When someone does that, it isn't fair to give them a free pass and simply blame her.

Do you really think that if the BRF knew Harry wasn´t Charles´s son they would spread the news for everyone to see?
If it is cruel speculation, it is Diana´s fault and no one else´s.

Diana's only fault was seeking comfort in another man after her marriage broke down. She didn't leave hints to the press that Harry wasn't Charles' son. Thanks to Hewitt making his so called claims and the media spreading rumours we have these very horrible accusations.
And Elspeth is right there is plenty of blame to go around but to blame Diana souly, is unfair.

It's so ironic, isn't it? Diana was seen as a heroine and as a strong person by so many people, and yet she constantly made herself out to be a victim. This, I believe, was what caused her self-sabotage: her self-pity led to the Morton book, the Panorama interview, and her dropping of friends and staff.

The 90s seemed to be a sea of people looking for atonement through going on television and talking. People like Oprah based a whole career on this phenomenon.

Diana was very much a mirror of her times, I think.:flowers:

It is not a question of not fitting my criteria or moral standards, rather a total rejection of the cult of "Everything is somebody elses fault".

Yes, it's Hewitt who's responsible for the rumours. The only relationship Diana even hinted at in the early years of her marriage was with Mannakee.

Diana referred to Harry and William as "our children" in the Panorama interview. If there was a bombshell to drop about Harry, I think that she would have done that before she died.

Diana's only fault was seeking comfort in another man after her marriage broke down. She didn't leave hints to the press that Harry wasn't Charles' son. Thanks to Hewitt making his so called claims and the media spreading rumours we have these very horrible accusations.
And Elspeth is right there is plenty of blame to go around but to blame Diana souly, is unfair.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may not make sense to some people but I've met people throughout my life who have gone through various things and come out of it better then ever and I find them so strong and yet they see themselves merely as victims of the things that have happened to them, I think to some degree that's probably what was going on in Diana's head to some extent. And yet I think the other half of the time she the victim card just to gain public sympathy.

:previous: But you'll never consider that she could have had her reasons to take a lover?

Take a lover? She told us the reason herself, she absolutely adored Hewitt, that was told to millions of people on TV by Diana. If she had been Mrs Jones from next door, no problem, but she was the wife of the next King of England.
Whatever is said, because of that, Prince Harry will always live under a cloud of suspicion as no Royal family is going to publish the results of any dna test.
As we are talking about a legacy,IMHO this is a very sad legacy indeed.

The reason Harry's paternity is under a cloud of suspicion in some quarters is that (a) a lot of people don't know that Diana comes from a family of redheads and therefore assume that Harry must have got his red hair from somewhere other than Charles and Diana and (b) Hewitt went onto the airwaves and the tabloids after Diana's death and coyly hinted that they'd been lovers since a lot earlier than they were thought to have known each other. This isn't simply Diana's fault.

I've often wondered what Hewitt's story about his hypnosis-induced revelations would have looked like if William had been the red-haired son.

That would have been quite interesting to see how it would have been played out if William was the child who's paternity was being questioned. You know to be honest with you the more I think about it the more I think alot of what Diana did was an accumulation of pressure and just things going on around her. She's an interesting figure to try and understand and I'm still to this day trying to figure her out, but I think that's the cool thing about Diana's story it's still being told in many different ways, but I don't think we'll ever know the real story but then again I beleive everyone sees these types of stories differently then someone else may.

Take a lover? She told us the reason herself, she absolutely adored Hewitt, that was told to millions of people on TV by Diana. If she had been Mrs Jones from next door, no problem, but she was the wife of the next King of England.
Whatever is said, because of that, Prince Harry will always live under a cloud of suspicion as no Royal family is going to publish the results of any dna test.
As we are talking about a legacy,IMHO this is a very sad legacy indeed.
:flowers: Welcome to the forums Wisteria, (a beautiful plant,:flowers:). Diana's legacy, among other things, seems to be discord and division.:nonono:

The reason Harry's paternity is under a cloud of suspicion in some quarters is that (a) a lot of people don't know that Diana comes from a family of redheads and therefore assume that Harry must have got his red hair from somewhere other than Charles and Diana and (b) Hewitt went onto the airwaves and the tabloids after Diana's death and coyly hinted that they'd been lovers since a lot earlier than they were thought to have known each other. This isn't simply Diana's fault.

I've often wondered what Hewitt's story about his hypnosis-induced revelations would have looked like if William had been the red-haired son.

Exactly, I find these rumours to be just that ugly unfounded rumours.

Exactly, I find these rumours to be just that ugly unfounded rumours.
I also believe that they are just that, however Diana telling the world on TV that she absolutely adored him laid the foundation of this particular debacle.

Diana also emphatically denied that she had any input into Andrew Morton's unauthorised biogaraphy of her. At the time most people angered by the book grudgingly believed her. She claimed her innocence as a woman victimised by lies. Then came Morton with the galleys with her handwritten notes . . . . . .

Diana had shown herself a public liar and unfortunately now, when Hewitt hints at a much earlier date for their first meeting . . . . . .

So true Elspeth! So true!

You only have to look at her immeadiate family, Lady Sarah, the Earl Spencer to see the red hair in the Spencer family. And I believe one of Lady's Sarah's children (maybe Alexander?) has it as well.

In regards to Hewitt, I think he is truly an opportunist of the worst kind. It truly bothers me when people make claims about other people, and the other person is not here to defend themselves. Yes, they had an affair and it might have occured earlier but only two people really know if that is okay. Diana is dead and Hewitt's word doesnt really mean much IMO.

I also agree if Harry was not Charles's son (and I don't believe that for a second) Buckingham Palace is not going to confirm or deny it. Harry is for all intents and purposes is Charles's son...It takes a lot more than producing the sperm (sorry to be graphic) to be a true father.

Last edited:
Absolutely true, but unfortunately monarchies don´t think that way, they even repudiate a child for being illegitimate even when everyone knows/or knew the child was the King´s.
Hewitt´s word doesn´t mean much and Diana was caught out in lies but is now long dead. It is a cloud that is going to hang over poor Harry´s head for ever and in the future but as long as by some terrible accident of fate he is not going to be the next King - all is well.

Absolutely true, but unfortunately monarchies don´t think that way, they even repudiate a child for being illegitimate even when everyone knows/or knew the child was the King´s.
Hewitt´s word doesn´t mean much and Diana was caught out in lies but is now long dead. It is a cloud that is going to hang over poor Harry´s head for ever and in the future but as long as by some terrible accident of fate he is not going to be the next King - all is well.

I don't agree with this, Wisteria. I think that there is a certain element who giggles and enjoys dragging the cloud over Harry's head because they have some sort of strange interest in continuing to disparage a long dead person who they just can't stop hating - in spite of the fact that few if any actually met her, let along were her bosom companions, long-time privvy to her secrets (dailymail, Tina, Hewitt: dailymail, Tina, Hewitt: dailymail, Tina, Hewitt, lather-rinse-repeat.)

But I don't think Harry wastes much time dwelling on it. I happen to not slavishly admire the PoW but I think he's made it clear as a parent that he is Harry's father, period. Proud of him for his service, not entirely proud at his many foibles.

Anyone who witnesses Harry's foibles and missteps can clearly see the strong imprint of the Duke of Edinburgh as well. That boy is a Windsor via the Mountbatten bloodlines, to be sure!

Last edited:
... [snipped] I think that there is a certain element who giggles and enjoys dragging the cloud over Harry's head because they have some sort of strange interest in continuing to disparage a long dead person who they just can't stop hating - in spite of the fact that few if any actually met her, let along were her bosom companions, long-time privvy to her secrets (dailymail, Tina, Hewitt: dailymail, Tina, Hewitt: dailymail, Tina, Hewitt, lather-rinse-repeat.) ... [snipped]
I am inclined to agree with you. Personally I think that it is more than likely that the men in grey suits have already taken steps in dealing with this tricky unpleasant matter. Given the circumstances and for the sake of the institution, it would be unwise not to provide for every contingency. At the moment, it is all right to continue to rehash the stories. Why not? The late Diana, Princess of Wales is not here to dispute them.

:previous:

I think hate is a very strong word to use, surely no one hates or even hated her. The problem is the heritage she left Harry, whatever is behind the reasoning the cloud is there. It is very like the "notes" left by Catherine II of Russia about her son Paul I, it is said that it left a cloud of doubt even among the Romanovs.
No one can doubt that Prince Charles is a good father to Harry, there is very strong affection that can be seen by any observer, the problem is not that, it is the doubt left by his mother´s confession of her affair.
You say there is no doubt about him being a Windsor, well good, we will have to take your word for it as nothing has been said about this officially and I am fairly certain nothing will be said in the future.
He is HRH Prince Harry and nothing will change that not even his mother´s indiscretion so there is really nothing more to be said about it.

You say there is no doubt about him being a Windsor, well good, we will have to take your word for it as nothing has been said about this officially and I am fairly certain nothing will be said in the future.
He is HRH Prince Harry and nothing will change that not even his mother´s indiscretion so there is really nothing more to be said about it.

You really don't have to take my word for it; I think the fact that you can go to the official Web site of the BRF and see him listed as the son of Charles of Wales, that his name is Wales, that his place is third in the line of succession. I consider the word of HM to be reliable. (And I'm not just saying that because I really admire her.)

I completely agree with the latter part of the quoted section of your post above, but there are lots of spoons in this world, Wisteria; spoons that like to stir-stir-stir trouble. Their glee in stirring this pot is palpable. But cheers to you for your sentiments, which are admirable.

Please don´t misunderstand what I said whether unwittingly or otherwise. No one has any doubt that officially Harry is the son of Charles and his name is Wales. I am talking about the doubt engendered because of his mother´s indiscreet broadcast, which is a very lamentable legacy to leave a son.
There has been nothing about this by the royal family and there never will be
and that is how it should be, but I am afraid this cloud is going to follow him all his life and perhaps into history books which I find very sad.

Ah, now I see what you are saying, Wisteria. Well, then it is what it is; just as the well-wishers of the DoC lament that she remains known primarily as the mistress and that her place in history will be defined by this, then I suppose you lament that Harry's place in history will be defined as bastardy, and that your preference is to keep that "cloud" well-activated.

I think Harry is well aware of who he is, and the BRF is well aware of who he is. And I see a chip off the old Mountbatten block, especially with those glorious pictures of the young Duke clowning with his family that came out about a year ago. But then again, until proved otherwise, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and not look for stains of bastardy or engage in behind-the-hands-tittering. One generally finds what one seeks; I believe that's the explanation for cognitive dissonance as well.

Do you really think that readers of history books are going to titter?
I don´t think there is any doubt that until her marriage DOC was Prince Charles´s mistress.
Not talking about things and sweeping them under the carpet does not make them go away, I am only sorry that the poor boy will have to go through his life with some people doubting his paternity, by the way that doesn´t necessarily mean that I do, although you don´t seem to have given me the benefit of the doubt that you say is your tendency.

But who is seriously doubting his paternity other than those in this thread? It doesn't appear to be in the UK newspapers...only when Hewitt raises the situation. Or rather makes a innuendo that he could be the father.

And yet to my knowledge, he has provided no proof that he knew Diana or at least had a relationship with her prior to Harry's birth. But if I am missing that information, can someone provide a source?

Hewitt was called a few names in the British tabloids for what he said or wrote about Diana so I don´t think anything he says about the subject has much credibility.
The only fact that is known publicly is that he was Diana´s lover and that is because she told us this.
He was supposed to have met her first when Harry was two years old,
so that seems to be the end of the story but it would have been better for everyone if she had never made that, in my opinion, very unwise and not very well thought out broadcast. When I say not well thought out, I mean she might not have realised how far public speculation would go.

Well, I'm sure it didn't cross her mind that she wouldn't be around and things would spiral out of her control.

Whatever Mr Hewitt claims or hints, Prince Charles is Prince Harry's father according the Pater est quem nuptiae demonstrant rule (the nuptials show who the father is). According to Common Law, the marriage of the mother declares the paternity and the father of a child is the man to whom the mother is married at the time of the birth of the child.

That said, Prince Harry has a lot of resemblance to the young Duke of Edinburgh and in my opinion, there is no doubt in my mind that Prince Charles is Prince Harry's father and not only because the law says so.

Exactly.:flowers: I'm surprised that someone by now hasn't suggested that the Duke is Harry's father.:rolleyes::D

That said, Prince Harry has a lot of resemblance to the young Duke of Edinburgh and in my opinion, there is no doubt in my mind that Prince Charles is Prince Harry's father and not only because the law says so.

But who is seriously doubting his paternity other than those in this thread? It doesn't appear to be in the UK newspapers...
As was commented on by kimebear, the Army sites are full of it. There are very few people that I know who do not doubt that Hewitt is Harry's biological father.
Prince Charles is Prince Harry's father according the Pater est quem nuptiae demonstrant rule (the nuptials show who the father is). According to Common Law, the marriage of the mother declares the paternity and the father of a child is the man to whom the mother is married at the time of the birth of the child
I am not sure that this rule applies to Royal marriages/parentage, I am not even sure it stands up in modern lawsuits.

At the height of the War of the Wales, don't you think that Charles would have had a paternity test done, if he had any doubts and then used that against Diana?

It would certainly have made divorce easier and cost a lot less.

It would have damaged Diana more if it was proven, while she was alive, that she had allowed another man to father a child with her.

As much as I disliked Diana I have always believed that Harry is Charles' son and that he has the Mountbatten bloodlines. He reminds me a lot of Philip's father, from the limited photos we have of Andrew of Greece.

As was commented on by kimebear, the Army sites are full of it. There are very few people that I know who do not doubt that Hewitt is Harry's biological father.I am not sure that this rule applies to Royal marriages/parentage, I am not even sure it stands up in modern lawsuits.

I can post a lot of things on a lot of websites. It doesn't make it true.
Is this on the official Royal Army website?

I'm not sure what difference it would make whether it was an official site or not, to be honest - as you said, people can post a lot of things and it doesn't make it true. It depends on the source of their information, and if the source was Hewitt and his hypnosis (as though a person with a functioning brain would require hypnosis to remember when he first started sleeping with the Princess of Wales :nonono:), or Diana and her fantasies, or even some alleged freelance DNA results or other on specimens claimed to have been from Prince Harry, those aren't exactly unimpeachable sources.

Last edited:
. . . . . . It depends on the source of their information, and if the source was Hewitt and his hypnosis (as though a person with a functioning brain would require hypnosis to remember when he first started sleeping with the Princess of Wales :nonono:) . . . . . .
What Hewitt really needs and doesn't have is a witness. Never one to let the truth get in the way of publicity and money, Hewitt created one. The hypnotist! who will, I am sure, protect their reputation and confirm that he was indeed under hypnosis. Ergo, what he said was true and ta dah!! We have a witness.

It is Hewitt who has engineered this situation. His 15 minutes of fame were up, Diana was dead and couldn't squash his innuendos, Harry has red hair so . . . . . nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, and he is back in the public eye.

On a personal note however, it is my belief that the only reason he has not maintained his "father" prospects is that he's not and someone whispered little itty bitty legal words in his less than shell like ear!

Back
Top Bottom