Diana and James Hewitt

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't even imagine how painful it was for William and Harry to lose such a loving and devoted mother so tragically and unexpectedly. I suspect the pain of this 'debate' must come in as a close second.

I can't even imagine how painful it was for William and Harry to lose such a loving and devoted mother so tragically and unexpectedly. I suspect the pain of this 'debate' must come in as a close second.

I'd expect that Harry doesn't let himself think much about it, if he has any doubts at all. He seems well-adjusted, and he's obviously a part of a family that loves him, whether he's Charles's biological son or not (and I'm of the opinion that he probably is).

I believe Skydragon was the one who pointed out earlier in the thread that no matter what, Charles is Harry's father, and I whole-heartedly agree.

Hello - I've heard a rumour that James Hewitt was having an affair with "Princess in Love" author Anna Pasternak, and that's how she got the story out of him for her expose all book. Does anyone know anything about this?

Ta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read all about it here

and here

Last edited:
What's rather amazing with their affair is that it was kept secret for so long.

I find it impossible to believe, with the number of security people around both of them, that Charles didn't know. Their ultimate loyalty is to Her Majesty, not her son, and certainly not to her son's wife. I am quite certain that the Queen knew about the escapades from the get-go, and so did Charles.

As someone brought up in that world, I would imagine that Charles saw it as how things are; however he may have felt about Diana personally, he married her out of duty. His job was to provide continuity, an heir to the throne. That he picked a young, beautiful, incredibly photogenic, endearing bride is simply not an accident by any stretch of the imagination. He may well have loved her. Seeing early photos and footage of them would seem to indicate that if he didn't love qua love her, he certainly felt a very strong fondness for her, which was a happy accident.

In the real world, royal marriages have historically been nothing about love. They have been about duty and alliance and not one thing more. That love arose from some of them is secondary to the main issue. Therefore, once the heir (and spare) had been begotten, most couples in such marriages took it as tacitly understood that they would undertake their own sexual and emotional affairs outside the marriage in order to fulfill the desire that most of us have to be wanted and to be loved. To put it another way: royal marriages, historically, are about contracts. They take lovers to deal with the emotional side of their lives.

That either Charles or Diana had affairs is singularly unremarkable. I would suggest that you look at the history of royal and noble marriages if you disagree. That they both so publicly admitted them is what is astonishing.

Moving back to the point... The Queen has been described--by one of her own sons, nonetheless--as having the best spy network within the Palace. He, and many staff, have commented that she knows everything. That she wouldn't have known about the Hewitt affair--or, indeed, the Camilla affair--simply beggars belief. It is possible that she wouldn't have told Charles, but extremely unlikely; after all, he has been groomed for the throne for almost 60 years now, which would obviously include understandings of how the world really is versus how he would wish it to be.

The affair may have been kept secret from the public, but it is fundamentally impossible that it was kept secret from the Queen, her son, or the Grey Men of Westminster.

I find it impossible to believe, with the number of security people around both of them, that Charles didn't know.

Especially as it was not Diana who chose these people surrounding her in the beginning. The fact that she changed so much of her staff in the beginning tells me that she realised that she had no longer anything like a totally private sphere.

I guess, too that Charles knew about Hewitt. But what about Mannakee? Who really claims that Diana had an affair with him, a full-fledged affair, that is, not some emotional attachment only? Was this only a bad rumour or is there any proof?

For if she had an affair with Mannakee, Charles was bound to know as at that time it affected the line of succession - I think if she had an affair with Mannakee, he was replaced and she was watched closely till she had given Charles heir (and probably spare, too). After that it was two who could play that game. But I have no doubt Charles was true to Diana as long as she enjoyed her maritial intercourse with him. But who knows how long that was? After all, she has had her first bulimia-attacks already during their honeymoon, so that doesn't seem to tell about a good start when it comes to intimacies...

In the real world, royal marriages have historically been nothing about love. They have been about duty and alliance and not one thing more. That love arose from some of them is secondary to the main issue. Therefore, once the heir (and spare) had been begotten, most couples in such marriages took it as tacitly understood that they would undertake their own sexual and emotional affairs outside the marriage in order to fulfill the desire that most of us have to be wanted and to be loved. To put it another way: royal marriages, historically, are about contracts. They take lovers to deal with the emotional side of their lives.

Yes, that's true, but at the time Charles married Diana this was already changing. Both King Carl Gustav and King Harald had married middle-class commoners for love (as had Emperor Akihito back in the 1950s); Queen Beatrix had overcome some serious opposition to marry a German, which was pretty much the exact opposite of cementing an alliance given the recent history between Germany and The Netherlands. By the late 1970s and early 1980s there was no need for a marriage of duty, other than maybe the need of the press and the public for a fairy-tale romance and Charles's need to please Grannie and Lord Mountbatten.

He seemed to be caught between the two worlds of old-style royal marriage and the more marriage for personal happiness; unfortunately for everybody concerned, he managed to end up with the worst of both worlds.

I find it impossible to believe, with the number of security people around both of them, that Charles didn't know.
As you know, they say that the husband/wife is always the last to know.

Yes, but very few spouses are watched by as many people as those in the BRF.

As you know, they say that the husband/wife is always the last to know.

But what about Mannakee? Wouldn't have somebody informed the queen who of course had a different view than her son on Charles' marriage? Even if Charles had been understanding, the queen could not risk a "grandchild" at a prominent place in the line of succession who wasn't Charles'. IMHo the queen knew early on in the marriage that something went wrong and made it her business. I don't want to speculate how but I'm convinced she did not sit back in her chair and waited for Diana to become pregnant from one of her lovers.

That is probably why Mannakee was reassigned. It would be very difficult to tell a man, even if he was your son, that his wife was 'playing around', especially for HM or even Charles' generation. Williams parentage they could be sure of, Harry I believe there will always be a doubt, especially if Hewitt's version regarding the start of the affair is accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some of the speculative comments here are in poor taste. What happened to facts and sources?

I am sort of lost here. Was Manakee's and Diana's affaire happening that early in the marriage? Before the birth of the two princes?
Isn't he the gentleman who was somehow killed at an accident?:ohmy:

Mannakee was assigned to Diana in 1985, after Harry was born. Now let's get back on topic which is James Hewitt, not Barry Mannakee.

Mannakee was assigned to Diana in 1985, after Harry was born. Now let's get back on topic which is James Hewitt, not Barry Mannakee.

In 1985 Mannakee was promoted to Diana's PPO, but had been in the Wales'
Protection Unit for years before that promotion, claims Tina Brown.

Maybe so, but dozens of other resources just as credible as Tina Brown's book all point to their affair beginning with his assignment to her personal protection in 1985 and this still has nothing to do with James Hewitt.

Just found this video. Sorry, it's only in italian but it shows Hewitt making the casting to find the one who will play Diana. You can also see a little of the film :

ANTEPRIMA VIDEO! DIANA: LA VERSIONE HEWITT | Sei di Moda

This idea is kind of making me sick .... :sad:. Poor Diana....

Happy Death Anniversary present , Diana :nonono:
TV review: Rahly, this guy is too weird - New Zealand, world, sport, business & entertainment news on Stuff.co.nz

(same article but with a few pics: Princess Diana Remembered : Rahly, this guy is too weird)

If you watch all these vids, it's like you're seeing a different man. Who could imagine him doing such things when you listen how he sincerely talks about her; you don't do this to someone you love/have loved.

Tracy interviews James Hewitt - ninemsn Video

SkyCast - Video - Diana Years: The Affair Part 1
SkyCast - Video - Diana Years: The Affair Part 2
SkyCast - Video - Diana Years: The Affair Part 3

He had an affair with a married woman out of SELFLESSNESS? Come on, who's he kidding?!:bang:

Well that's what he says, as he said they first kissed in 1982 :rolleyes:

Was that when she was pregnant or when she was suffering from post-natal depression? ;) Honestly...I don't pay much attention to what the man says.

Well that's what he says, as he said they first kissed in 1982 :rolleyes:

Hello - I've heard a rumour that James Hewitt was having an affair with "Princess in Love" author Anna Pasternak, and that's how she got the story out of him for her expose all book. Does anyone know anything about this?

Ta.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read all about it here

and here

Now that wouldn't surprise me. It was said many times that he was having parallel affairs while he was already with Diana. Maybe it's just the dirty work of some tabloids but it seems (source) Hewitt is 'known as a bit of a lothario on the society polo circuit' (even if he said he acted , I quote, 'selflessly' for Diana).

The comeback cad: Why is James Hewitt STILL dropping tantalising hints about Prince Harry's paternity? | Mail Online
... As he puts it: 'It would be rather nice to be known as James Hewitt of the Polo House and not James Hewitt of the . . .' He trails off.
There could, of course, be a number of different ways to finish that sentence. James Hewitt, who will be forever reminded of his five-year affair with Diana. James Hewitt of the subsequent account of it in a book, Princess In Love. James Hewitt, who so desperately wants to shed his lover at image, who, six years ago, tried to sell 60 love letters he received from the Princess for millions.
Little wonder that for some time Hewitt felt he was the closest thing we had to public enemy number one. And yet, times have changed.
In a world where every human commodity - birth, death, sex - is available for public consumption either on television or the internet, it almost feels as though the Hewitt saga comes from another age....

The headline of the article has very little relation to its content.
The reporter doesn't ask Hewitt about Harry or his paternity, nor does Hewitt mention it.

I think one of the saddest legacies she has left is the perpetual cloud over the issue of Prince Harry's parentage. I don't think we will ever begin to understand the anguish he has gone through curtesy of Diana's indiscreet revelations.

While we all like to think that he is undoubtedly a prince by birth, and I believe that one way or another the family "know", should anything happen to William (Heaven forfend) you can't tell me that Parliament and even the mainstream press media would not be demanding some "Proof" that he is indeed a "Wales" and 2nd in line to the throne.

Beacause of the media printing out those horrible rumours of Harry not being Charles' son has caused that terrible cloud.
Diana has stated that she had an affair with Hewitt after Harry was born. If he wasn't a Windsor The Royal Family would have known a long time ago. All this talk of Harry not being Charles' son is just cruel speculation.

Do you really think that if the BRF knew Harry wasn´t Charles´s son they would spread the news for everyone to see?
If it is cruel speculation, it is Diana´s fault and no one else´s.

If it is cruel speculation, it is Diana´s fault and no one else´s.

May I just suggest that it takes a woman and a man to conceive and that the 'potential' father always maintained the mystery around who was Prince Harry's biological father. So he's, logically, also to blame for not denying the rumors after her death.

May I just suggest that it takes a woman and a man to conceive and that the 'potential' father always maintained the mystery around who was Prince Harry's biological father. So he's, logically, also to blame for not denying the rumors after her death.

I have no doubt that it "takes two to tango" but that is not the point, Diana by taking a lover, is naturally to blame if later there is speculation about the paternity of one of her sons. It is cruel to Harry and it is his mother´s fault.
As to the potential father denying this, perhaps he has his reasons.

:previous: But you'll never consider that she could have had her reasons to take a lover?

Back
Top Bottom