The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Serene Highness

Al-Fayed is totally romanticizing Dodi and Diana's relationship. They were together - for what? - a month before they died, and he makes it look like they were life soul mate (they could have been, but who knows). I've known of high school romances that have lasted longer that deserve statues more.
Al-Fayed has always accused the royal family and Prince Philip in particular of being racist and though his accusasions are not completely unfounded, I can see why the royals not wanting to associate w/ him after putting out tacky, tasteless displays like this on top of all the other things he does "in memory" of Diana and Dodi.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I wonder if his tributes to Diana have ever resulted in increased revenues to his store. I couldn't imagine that it would have any positive impact.

I think Mr. Al-Fayed is having difficulty moving on from his dreams of what might have been.

You are so right Iowabelle. That man is a real troublemaker!!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle9982
Let's put it this way: the statue is no Rodin. The likenesses of the two don't even really resemble Diana or Dodi much either.
I don't think it looks like either one of at all them either. I think it's just silly because I didn't think they were together long before they died...and I think the fact that they made the statue of Diana in a flimsy dress makes it weird. I'll totally admit, I think it's tacky also. (Just my opinion of the statue, please don't take offense.)
Old 08-24-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
It is just plain ugly...
I definitely agree. It no more looks like Diana than I do and I don't think it was necessary to have her in a skimpy dress and Dodi with his shirt open. I think al Fayed is taking things too far with this one.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
I see what you mean Grim Lady. But the way Al-Fayed is trying to forever link Diana's memory with his son is tacky and is exploitation. As one man comment on the daily mail website, 'they were boyfriend and girlfriend, not Romeo and Juliette'. He may be grieving his son but why casting his love story with Di in Bronze and exposing it in a shopping mall? And I sorry, but the arrangement is very distastefully. The skimpy dress, Dodi's bare chess, the silly looking bird, even the name... That's the kind of cheesy thing who would grace a Barbara Cartland book.
BTW, I recommend reading the daily mail readers comments, they are hilarious. There is a man advising Al-Fayed to create a slot coin in the statue which would deliver Enia songs at each donation .
Could you provide a link the the daily mail? I would love to read some the comments. Thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Royal Highness

Do any of you think there will be such a negative reaction to this statue that it will be taken down?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Here ya go. It was on the 1st pg of the thread
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily
Could you provide a link the the daily mail? I would love to read some the comments. Thanks

Old 08-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Nobility

the reason I said is tastles is because Diana and Dodi are not realy an item. The relationship was too short and at the end. It doesn’t not represent Diana’ life, or even Dodi’s life. As the way as I get the message is that the sculptor wanted them to be an item together, but in real they were not. This is the reason I said it was an a cliché...not that I have anything against Dodi's family
Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

their faces dont' look human. They look very odd.

Dodi is in it because Dodi's dad, Al-Fayed, claims that they were assasinated because Princess Diana and Dodi were going to get married. So because of her relationship with Dodi, she was killed.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Aristocracy

I don't like the statues-not done in good taste.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

true, but I like the tiles on walls (hope he has kept those)

off topic: re F&M, when I was there at the top floor, Terence Stamp had the table next to ours and he is still very handsome :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The food hall at Fortnum and Mason is pretty good too. Heh - means you don't have to go to Harrods at all!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
their faces dont' look human. They look very odd.

Dodi is in it because Dodi's dad, Al-Fayed, claims that they were assasinated because Princess Diana and Dodi were going to get married. So because of her relationship with Dodi, she was killed.
Diana wasn't in love with Dodi. She still loved Hasnat Khan.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Aristocracy

None of us know who Diana was or wasn't in love with. We can speculate and have our own opinions but as far as I can gather, none of us knew her personally.

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." ~Coco Chanel
Old 08-26-2005, 01:30 AM
Nobility

Sure we do LOL….we’ve done so much gossip about her ,so I might say we know her pretty well LMAO, or at least we try
Old 08-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know what kind of bird that was? Its wingspan looks unnatural.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think it's intended to be a seagull.

Diana's face looks unnatural too.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy

Segolen~
Lord knows there's been enough press about her.

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." ~Coco Chanel
Old 08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle9982
Segolen~
Lord knows there's been enough press about her.
That's probably why the whole thing looks so weird. With the tons of photos available on her from every conceivable angle, you'd think the artist would know how to capture a better likeness. Yet all three of the subjects in his piece look "strange" is the best way I can discribe it. Pictures of Dodi from the cruises make him out to be, if not at Diana's height, slightly shorter than her and not in the fittest physique. The statue of him looks much taller and slimmer. There is something off balance the way Diana's stands. I know she practiced ballet, but it would take an acrobat to manage that pose.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Aristocracy

Let me first say that I can totally understand Mr Al-Fayed's grief over losing his child. However, he is living in the past and what he's doing is really not helping the memory of his son or Diana.

And what about Diana's sons? How about asking them what they think of having their mother displayed like this? Judging by their plea, made only a year after their mother's death, that people move on and let their mother rest in peace, I'm guessing that they're not happy about this.

Of course, Mr Al-Fayed has the right to memorize Dodi and Diana, but then how about having the statue displayed in the privacy of his own house? That would certainly be more considerate to Diana's family and friends.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! He he he he he, from Bambi.

I will choose to say nothing at all!

Tags
diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, dolls, princess diana, statue