The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I wonder if his tributes to Diana have ever resulted in increased revenues to his store. I couldn't imagine that it would have any positive impact.

I think Mr. Al-Fayed is having difficulty moving on from his dreams of what might have been.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

Really bad taste. I wish someone would actually tell the old man.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Nobility

the sculptor should be fired. IMO
the satue is nothing more then clishe. I was expecting more .
Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Courtier

Ouach. But for just how long were they together - not counting the romantic notion that they might be together for eternity? It's very tacky from Dodi's father to attempt cashing in on his son last affair. And that statue is unflattering to Diana.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I did not expect more. He is doing as he pleases and I do not think he is cashing in, as was previously posted, he has cash and there is no accounting for taste, this is his.

Anyway, I would not go to Harrods unless you want to see the foodhall, Harvey Nichols is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by segolen
the sculptor should be fired. IMO
the satue is nothing more then clishe. I was expecting more .
Old 08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Nobility

I don’t really get why people say it’s bad. The artist made the sculpture as a gift to Dodi’s family, he didn’t just decide to do the sculpture by himself. Also I don’t get why people say it’s “tasteless” because what’s wrong with a sculpture depicting a couple running down the beach and staring lovingly into each other’s eyes?

I like the sculpture and I think it’s sweet and romantic and not tasteless at all. I think that it's a beautiful reminder of the relationship between Dodi and Diana.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Commoner

The premise of the sculpture is not a tribute, we don't need a statue to honor the memory of Diana and Dodi's relationship. This is Al Fayed's attempt to make even more money. Why isn't this in him home where he can look at the sculpture in private? The fact that he is displaying it in public is to draw attention to his store. Aren't there any trademark laws that protect William & Harry from having their mom exploited? I think it is was commissioned with the wrong intentions in mind.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Is Diana bronze the tackiest statue ever?

13:28pm 24th August 2005

A controversial new life-size statue of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Fayed has been unveiled, nearly eight years after the couple died in a Paris car crash..........
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 08-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Nobility

Well I still refuse to call the statue tacky because when I look at the statute I really don’t see anything wrong! Also of course it was done for some profit but the choice of having it displayed was Al-Fayed's. Although a lot of people think that he is trying so hard to use Diana’s memory to give himself more publicity I think Diana only comes up because she was in the car crash with Dodi and they had a relationship at the time. Maybe Al-Fayed should start putting more attention into his son rather than the couple but I don’t think that Al-Fayed would dip so low as to exploit the death of his own son for press. I think that he had this sculpture made with good intentions.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

I see what you mean Grim Lady. But the way Al-Fayed is trying to forever link Diana's memory with his son is tacky and is exploitation. As one man comment on the daily mail website, 'they were boyfriend and girlfriend, not Romeo and Juliette'. He may be grieving his son but why casting his love story with Di in Bronze and exposing it in a shopping mall? And I sorry, but the arrangement is very distastefully. The skimpy dress, Dodi's bare chess, the silly looking bird, even the name... That's the kind of cheesy thing who would grace a Barbara Cartland book.
BTW, I recommend reading the daily mail readers comments, they are hilarious. There is a man advising Al-Fayed to create a slot coin in the statue which would deliver Enia songs at each donation .

Old 08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Just had to throw in my .02 cent view

I think the statue is tacky. If he had made the statue for his own home that is fine, do what you want. Its your home & no one but you & family & whoever else you invite in get to see it. But I'm assuming this is going to be seen/is on display at Harrods, right? Will it be next to his 'shrine' w/ the 'engagement ring' & the 'glass' that they drank from on their last night (is it still even on display? I was in London in 2000 & I took pictures of it- the only place in all of Harrods that you can use a camera)? I understand he is still mourning his son & I know if I lost a child it would be so unbearable, but enough is enough. If he wants to keep his sons memory alive & spend a ton of money.....donate some money to a university, a hospital, etc. & and put it to good use in honor of his son (& I'm not saying he hasn't maybe donated money in the past. I really don't know b/c I've never heard abt. him making donations.).

I hope no one has been offended by what I said....like I said its just my .02 cent view on things

Old 08-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Courtier

Why is Dodi in the statue?...He really didn't do anything to make someone do a statue of him..well except having a rich father...and oh yeah...dating Diana!....Someone should of told them that the statue isn't going to be a success through anyone's eyes!
They make the best husbands!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaway princess
Why is Dodi in the statue?
His father commissioned the statue. I guess it is his way of living in the past....of a time that once was. Overall I just feel sorry for him.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Anyway, I would not go to Harrods unless you want to see the foodhall, Harvey Nichols is better.
The food hall at Fortnum and Mason is pretty good too. Heh - means you don't have to go to Harrods at all!
Old 08-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_lady
I donít really get why people say itís bad. The artist made the sculpture as a gift to Dodiís family, he didnít just decide to do the sculpture by himself. Also I donít get why people say itís ďtastelessĒ because whatís wrong with a sculpture depicting a couple running down the beach and staring lovingly into each otherís eyes?

I like the sculpture and I think itís sweet and romantic and not tasteless at all. I think that it's a beautiful reminder of the relationship between Dodi and Diana.
we're certainly all entitled to our opinion but I think the problem is that Mr. Al Fayed is trying make more of the relationship than there possibly was. He believes they were engaged while some of Diana's closest friends say that she didn't accept the ring as an engagement ring. We'll never know for sure what the ring was meant for or how it was accepted but the sculpture is going to be there for a very long time.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

a long time ago I used to think this guy was doing all of this because he was heart broken over his son's death. But whatever memories he had have long turned to delusions. He can make all the outrageous comments and allegations about Diana and Dodi because he knows they're not alive to tell the truth.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Thumbs down

I find it appalling! IMHO, Dodi was a rebound fling from Hasnat Khan for Diana,and despite the gifts Dodi was showering her with, despite the fact that they seemed to be happy to be together at the time of the tragedy I just can't see that she was going to marry him. (I personally think she was still carrying a torch for Kahn but that's another thread). I think Mr Al-Fayed is really delusional. I'm sorry for his grief but this smacks of exploitation.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

Let's put it this way: the statue is no Rodin. The likenesses of the two don't even really resemble Diana or Dodi much either.

Having said that, though, Al-Fayed's commissioning of this statue is no more exploitation of Diana than the hundreds of mini-series that have been on tv, or the books written about her. And what about the tapes, the secret tapes, that were recently released and show her with her speech coach. Anyone that has any connection has been trying to "cash in" since Diana's death. I'm not saying it's right but you can't be anymore annoyed at Dodi's father than anyone else who's done the same thing.

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." ~Coco Chanel
Old 08-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

i would agree with posts!

Prince William would needs to ROYALS WARRANTS for statues of his beloved mother but he not saying to answer YES because he is future King of England! but i think William would let tell Mr.Fayeds to agree to making statues they without permission of Prince William and Prince Harry because William and Harry still grief for 8 years since his mother's death.

Sara Boyce
Old 08-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Royal Highness

It is just plain ugly...

Tags
diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, dolls, princess diana, statue