Diana and Dodi Statue Unveiled; D&D dolls for sale on eBay (2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well honestly, I don't think that he should get over his son's death. He should accept it but not get over it. Its a trite expression but a true one nonetheless...... but a parent should never have to bury a child.

Now, I do think that the Mohammed al Fayed has used his grief in an irrational way. Placing blame on anyone and everyone except maybe the people who should get blamed...the paps for chasing, not having more bodyguards, Dodi and Diana for not just staying at the hotel or calling the cops, and Dodi and Diana for not wearing seatlbelts.

It was a tragic accident but it sounds like the lost of his son was something he couldn't handle. He isn't the first and wont be the last person to lose someone to death and act irrationally.

I have no problem with him mourning his son and in fact completely understand his grief but I don't understand why he would blame Philip. Had he just said 'he believed that is wasn't a simple accident' I could have accepted that but to accuse a specific person with no evidence is what got me.

Of course the blame rests with the drunken driver he employed, the inadequate security he employed, his own son's stupidity in not wearing a seatbelt, the paparazzi who followed them and Diana's fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I agree with your assessment on all accounts. Like I said, in his grief he behaved in an irrational manner.

IMO Fayed has to blame someone for Dodi's death, because he can't accept the fact that he is partly responsible for his son not being alive today. Its very sad no parent should bury their child, but one can't just go around accusing people of murder.

Diana's fans.

You mean some of her fans. I am not responsible nor will I ever take responsibility for Diana's death. Not all of her fans spent their money and time buying and reading those trashy tabloids. I don't buy tabloids nor do I read gossip blogs its a waste of time. Some people have too much interest in celebrities its not healthy. Your right some of Diana's fans are partly responsible for her death. But the key word is some.

Actually the most vocal of her fans are the ones who would have bought the magazines/papers etc with the pictures in it just because she was there. The most rabid of her fans definitely contributed to her death.
You are right and I should have used the word 'some' or even 'most' but not implied 'all' as there are people who buy those magazines and papers regardless and they aren't the ones I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well honestly, I don't think that he should get over his son's death. .
I think you understood what I meant Zonk :ermm:
Most parents grieve the loss of their loved one's, children or otherwise, in their own private way, not by erecting a tacky and tasteless monument for all the world to see that cries out for attention. The man is very sad and really shouldn't expect anything from the public other than ridicule.
Apologies for not making myself clearer :flowers:

I agree with Iluvbertie and also to me the mother of the UK's future King dancing with her one month's lover didn't not deserve a momument.
Sorry , Zonk perhaps I am oldfashioned.. kind regards

My statements about al Fayed where to ask the question on why iluvbertie and others were no longer shopping at Harrods, hence the subsequent posts.

I personally find the statues kind of tacky, but it was his store and he could do what he wished with the store (as long as it didn't violate any laws). I don't think I addressed my opinions about the statues in my earlier posts...so Maria Olivia I am not sure what you are referring to.

My initial statements about his grief had to deal with crisscross statement that he should get over it. I don't think anyone even Mohammed al Fayed should get over the grief over a child. They learn to live with it and accept it never get over it. And I do agree that he acted irrational over his grief, accusing people of a crime without proof and not accepting any responsiblity.

I just wanted to say that now I will return to Harrods because I didn' agree Diana's and Dodi's statue and the attitude of Harrod's owner against the British RF.

I just wanted to say that now I will return to Harrods because I didn' agree Diana's and Dodi's statue and the attitude of Harrod's owner against the British RF.

Understood. You are certainly within your rights to stop shopping at Harrods for such a reason.

I always found the memorials to be in bad taste but it was Fayed's store so he could have put anything in there. I wouldn't buy too many things from Harrods because of the price range. Its awfully expensive ,an Armani t-shirt costs more than 50 pounds.

I'm glad that the new owners are removing that shrine. The minute Mr. al-Fayed's limo leaves, I'd be taking it down. It was incredibly tacky. A small brass commemoration memorial with the couple's pictures above in a discreet area would have been okay and not that abomination.

I'm glad that the new owners are removing that shrine. It was incredibly tacky.

Mr al-Fayed's tastes are over the top with the D&D sculpture. To me it showed a man who wanted to displayed a sculpture to remind everyone of the deaths and not to forget. Only he does realize the artwork was incredibly bad taste and drew customers away.

A small brass commemoration memorial with the couple's pictures above in a discreet area would have been okay and not that abomination.

Agreed Katrinna.

That statue took the cake for me, with Diana and Dodi reaching out to the bird and the words innocent victims inscribed on the bottom. He tried to portay Dodi as the love of her life which is far from the truth. I'm happy they're taking it down as well

What an immature act. The man is to be pitied as he's so delusional.

I find it hard to believe that his business tripled after the warrants were removed.:ermm: Note to M al F: one doesn't increase one's chances of obtaining citizenship by publicly dissing the Head of State and her family.;)

What an immature act. The man is to be pitied as he's so delusional.

The very day of Diana's death, live on tv, his agent spoke about his desired citizenship... I was really shocked !

Oh well, there will be a lot of us glad to see the "shrine" to Dodi and Diana be removed from Harrods. I hope the new owners also remove the ghastly statue of Al Fayed himself in the menswear department on the ground floor.

I don't think the statue was very tasteful at all, quite tacky. Although Fayed has been ungracious through the whole thing, I think he is still suffering from the loss of his only son and perhaps unspoken guilt for pressing the romance that resulted in the tragegy.

Does anyone know if the "tributes" have been removed from Harrods? I was wondering if the new owners had removed them but haven't found anything saying for sure if it's been done or not.

Does anyone know if the "tributes" have been removed from Harrods? I was wondering if the new owners had removed them but haven't found anything saying for sure if it's been done or not.

The statues are still in place and there were many, many people photographing the display/shrine when I was there three weeks ago.

Fresh flower displays also.

I also took photos, and although the statues didn't attract me - the proportions didn't seem right - it was interesting to see the ring.

There was also a champagne glass, unwashed. That was very personal even all these years later.

There is also a book of condolence, and many people wrote in it while I was there.

Here are a few of the photos I took.

Attachments

• IMG_9879.jpg
    IMG_9879.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_9888.jpg
    IMG_9888.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_9886.jpg
    IMG_9886.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_9893.jpg
    IMG_9893.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I was a fan of Diana during her lifetime, but this...Tacky, tacky, tacky!

The statues are still in place and there were many, many people photographing the display/shrine when I was there three weeks ago.

Fresh flower displays also.

I also took photos, and although the statues didn't attract me - the proportions didn't seem right - it was interesting to see the ring.

There was also a champagne glass, unwashed. That was very personal even all these years later.

There is also a book of condolence, and many people wrote in it while I was there.

Here are a few of the photos I took.

Thanks for your photos. :flowers:

The whole thing is tacky and distasteful. I can only think Mr Fayed forced the new owners to leave that thing there as a condition to his agreement to sell because I cannot imagine in a million years that they would have chosen to do so otherwise. It is truly awful but so typical of Fayed.

The whole thing is tacky and distasteful. I can only think Mr Fayed forced the new owners to leave that thing there as a condition to his agreement to sell because I cannot imagine in a million years that they would have chosen to do so otherwise. It is truly awful but so typical of Fayed.

Many people visit Harrods as tourist rather that to specifically shop and it makes me wonder whether the statue was left in place to help keep drawing them inside, in the hope they will at least buy something once they are there even if it is just a tim of Harrod's mint imperials.

I was there in 1979 and must have bought something, because I have the slightly-wrinkled bag in my souvenir photo album.:flowers:

Why is this tacky? It is just a ring and some flowers.

In everything it displays nouveau riche and a lack of taste. It is the design, that hourglass, the shiny materials, in combination with oldfashioned crafted marble birds. Horrible. Only a fur floormat was missing...

:sad:

In a way it's about Mr. Fayed's remembering his son and Diana and in another way (I think) it's part of Mr. Fayed's 'Dodi & Diana' fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom