The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 08-13-2014, 04:22 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Guangzhou, China
Posts: 251
Here is the link to 1997 Tina Brown's Newyorker article. The country printed there is China not North Ireland.

DIANA 1961-1997: THE PRINCES: ALL MY HOPES ARE ON WILLIAM NOW, I THINK HE HAS IT; Diana tells of pride for her son just weeks before death crash. - Free Online Library
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Guangzhou, China
Posts: 251
More surprising information here. According to the paparazi, Jason Fraser, who took the iconic pictures of the princess and Dodi Fayed kissing, it was Diana herself who asked the picture to be taken. And through the whole summer, Diana had been informing Fraser, when and where she was going to appear with Dodi and ask him to stand-by. Fraser said he was very relunctant to publish those picture himself, because he thought "they went worldwide and couldn’t shake off this sinking feeling that the Princess Diana bubble was about to burst", and he didn't want to "change people’s image of her". But he published it because "it was her wish".

Photographer Jason Fraser opens up on his special relationship with Princess Diana | Mail Online

Quote:
Earlier that summer, Diana had made a puzzling public announcement. ‘You’ll be shocked at what I do next’, she said teasingly.
Says Fraser, ‘Like everyone else, I was left scratching my head. I had no idea what she was talking about – or that it would later involve me.’

The over-riding feeling I had at that time was of great concern and fear that nothing would ever be the same again. I felt deeply uneasy at this responsibility.
‘The moment I had seen the pictures I* foresaw* the repercussions once they went worldwide and couldn’t shake off this sinking feeling that the Princess Diana bubble was about to burst.‘
Why, in that case, did Jason release the photographs at all?
Jason, now 46, says he was invited by Diana herself to photograph her holidaying with her lover Dodi in the last days before her death in Paris on August 31, 1997.
When he showed me the prints, we spread them out over the kitchen floor and we sat in silence. I didn’t know what to do. I knew that Diana had wanted them to be taken. But I knew nothing would ever the same again. I didn’t want to change people’s image of her.’
The final photographs of Diana, taken just a few days before her death, were shots of the princess lying next to Dodi on the top deck of the yacht while moored off Portofino. In the film, the scene is recreated in the movie by Naomi Watts, who plays Diana. She is also shown in the movie calling Fraser to tell him her whereabouts for these shots.
Recalls Jason: ‘She let me know she was going to be on a tender going out to the yacht. I think overall, she was happy with all the pictures taken that summer.’

‘So I told Diana that I was going back to London as there was little else for me to do. She agreed and said she’d be back there too in a day or so. But Dodi convinced her to stop over in Paris and to return to London the next day instead.’ It was a decision that would change the course of history.
Isn't it the whole senario very very odd. First, Diana went to Tony Blair, the Prime Minister, to talk about Dodi, before she even met Dodi herself. Then she dump her boy friend, who in her close friends' eyes was her soul mate. Her boy friend was so mad about that he said to her "you are dead". Next, she asked the paparazzi to take a picture which would kind of kill her own reputation. There must be something very big going on in her mind, isn't it?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: small town near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 743
One of the many doco's I saw after her death suggested that Dodi's father manipulated his son to go after Diana to make him look good. This is when he was with Kelly. In other words Dodi was persuing Diana under orders from his father and Diana was using Dodi to make Hasnat Khan jealous. I never saw any great romance between the two, except for the deliberate touching done for the cameras. This by a couple who hardly knew each other.
__________________
Pierre Laval, Premiere of France 1934-1936. Famous for wearing a washable white tie that was never washed.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,248
Agreed. It was Tina Brown's opinion that Diana was delusional at this time, perhaps not clinically but certainly over-estimating her own abilities to an unhealthy degree. I saw a hint of this in her Panorama interview, actually. There was something very unsettling in her manner during the second half of the interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Really?! As someone who was growing up in NI around that time, she clearly thought an awful lot of herself if she thought she could make any appreciable difference to the Troubles.

Clearly she was in need of a bit of a reality check at the time, in more ways than one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Queen Camilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 721
I agree she had too high an opinion of herself and her abilities.

She clearly did not listen to the advise of others and only did want she wanted to do.

She wanted to visit China because she was good as sorting people's heads out. The first person who she needed to sort out was herself.

She was a divorced woman dating a muslim man. This would not have given her any credibility in the muslim world.

She did a PSA on landmines for the Red Cross and suddenly she thought she was a film maker.

She was still pursuing a film about HIV in India after the Indian high commissioner in London told her not to do the film.
This would have destroyed any chance of her being a good will ambassador.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I agree she had too high an opinion of herself and her abilities.

She clearly did not listen to the advise of others and only did want she wanted to do.

She wanted to visit China because she was good as sorting people's heads out. The first person who she needed to sort out was herself.

She was a divorced woman dating a muslim man. This would not have given her any credibility in the muslim world.

She did a PSA on landmines for the Red Cross and suddenly she thought she was a film maker.

She was still pursuing a film about HIV in India after the Indian high commissioner in London told her not to do the film.
This would have destroyed any chance of her being a good will ambassador.
Despite Diana's own past problems, she was pretty good at helping other people. She didn't think too highly of herself. She knew she had the ability to help other people and she had the status and the world stage platform to do so.
__________________
"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be."

Dr. Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I agree she had too high an opinion of herself and her abilities.

She clearly did not listen to the advise of others and only did want she wanted to do.

She wanted to visit China because she was good as sorting people's heads out. The first person who she needed to sort out was herself.

She was a divorced woman dating a muslim man. This would not have given her any credibility in the muslim world.

She did a PSA on landmines for the Red Cross and suddenly she thought she was a film maker.

She was still pursuing a film about HIV in India after the Indian high commissioner in London told her not to do the film.
This would have destroyed any chance of her being a good will ambassador.
Islam does not prohibit remarriage for divorced women, although her potential role as an ambassador would have been greatly compromised if she had married either Dodi Fayed or Hasnat Khan. The Muslim world would have welcomed her if she had converted, but there would have been a lot of controversy in non-Muslim countries. If she hadn't converted but had a child, it would have created controversy pretty much everywhere.

Regardless, it seems as though Blair was willing to consider using her as an ambassador. I assume he was thinking of using her on a charm offensive but she wouldn't have been used to "sort people's heads out." Diana was living in a dream world if truly thought her personal charmed would have resolved the serious and complicated issues involved in the UK's relations with China.

If Blair had used her, it would have been in the same role she had while she was married to Charles. Charming world leaders, but not trying to negotiate or "sort out" anything.

I don't think even that would have worked out. I think Blair underestimated her stubborn streak. Diana would have become very difficult to control freed from the constraints of the palace. For example, after the Panorama interview, she went to Argentina in an attempt to demonstrate her abilities. The problem was the British government did not want her to go. (The relationship between the UK and Argentina was still strained after the Falkland's War). No prime minister would want an ambassador who can't follow a script.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,226
Had Diana became an official or unofficial ambassador, she would've did what was asked of her.
__________________
"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be."

Dr. Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 1,309
Of course, as any other official or inofficial ambassador, see Sharon Stone, see Audrey Hepburn, see any other celebrity who is asked for such a role.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Williamsville, United States
Posts: 228
The Duke of Windsor was 77 or 78 when he died. He lived in Paris. Diana was just visiting. She was to return the day after the accident to see her sons. Mohamed al Fayed had just bought the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's Paris house. Diana was thinking of moving to the US and buying Julie Andrew's house for herself and her sons, so they would be out of the limelight in London and fit right in with the other Hollywood stars.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: central valley, United States
Posts: 413
I don't think the conversation about Dodi occurred on 7/6 for two reasons:
1) William was with her and I would hope Blair would not have had the type of conversation he describes in William's presence
2) Diana had not yet met Dodi, there was no relationship to discuss.
I would assume that there was a later meeting w/ Blair between 7/20-30, when she was mostly back in England and had by then begun the affair with Dodi and that she disclosed the relationship to assess it's impact on the role she was trying to create for herself.
Alternatively at the 7/6 meeting they may have discussed her upcoming vacation with the Fayads which as she was taking the boys Blair may not have liked and she may have known she was going to meet Dodi, and she may have been speaking in general 'what if' terms.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey 1904 View Post
The Duke of Windsor was 77 or 78 when he died. He lived in Paris. Diana was just visiting. She was to return the day after the accident to see her sons. Mohamed al Fayed had just bought the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's Paris house. [....]
Mr Al Fayed did not buy the house. It always was (and still is) property of the Ville de Paris (the city of Paris). The house in the Bois de Boulogne was rented to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. After the death of the Duchess, Mr Al Fayed became the new tenant. The Ville de Paris agreed on a low rent but in return Mr Al Fayed had to renovate the property on his account.



The villa: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...t4-blog480.jpg
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey 1904 View Post
[...] Diana was thinking of moving to the US and buying Julie Andrew's house for herself and her sons, so they would be out of the limelight in London and fit right in with the other Hollywood stars.
It is out of the question that two of the direct Heirs are living outside Her Majesty's many Realms. Their path would go to Eton, an university and then the military.

There is also a contradiction between trying to get out of the limelight and then to fit right in with Hollywood stars, if you ask me....

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 543
Quote:
so they would be out of the limelight in London and fit right in with the other Hollywood stars.
As Duc et Pair says.. it is inconceivable that the princes would have been permitted to live outside the realms, away from their father and family, and subject to the vagaries of their mothers somewhat erratic lovelife.
Also they are NOT 'Hollywood stars', and it would be hard to imagine a more malign group of individuals to bring them up with [given the path their lives are set to follow.]
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,166
OT, but i've been watching a bit much "Downton Abbey" lately, and i can just imagine the face of Lady Granthem, the dowager Countess, had she heard the words "British princes" and "other hollywood stars" in the same sentence
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,248
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-20-2014, 05:38 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Guangzhou, China
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Agreed. It was Tina Brown's opinion that Diana was delusional at this time, perhaps not clinically but certainly over-estimating her own abilities to an unhealthy degree. I saw a hint of this in her Panorama interview, actually. There was something very unsettling in her manner during the second half of the interview.
Must "sort out people's head" mean solve the problem between two countries ultimately? The sentence itself was quite ambiguous. It can mean change people's hostile attitude, right?

I do believe Tony Blair wanted to use her to send friendly message to the host country, to warm up the air. Such that a formal visit by formal officials become possible. Most of the time the relationship between two countries are so tense that, any dialogue are impossible. In this case, Diana can put a good contribution to break the ice.

Which manner of her make you feel she was unsettling? Can you get into details. Without detailed explanation, such blind talk is quite meaningless. It will only make people feel you have prejudice against her.

Here is the definition of prejudice
"preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Guangzhou, China
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I don't think the conversation about Dodi occurred on 7/6 for two reasons:
1) William was with her and I would hope Blair would not have had the type of conversation he describes in William's presence
2) Diana had not yet met Dodi, there was no relationship to discuss.
I would assume that there was a later meeting w/ Blair between 7/20-30, when she was mostly back in England and had by then begun the affair with Dodi and that she disclosed the relationship to assess it's impact on the role she was trying to create for herself.
Alternatively at the 7/6 meeting they may have discussed her upcoming vacation with the Fayads which as she was taking the boys Blair may not have liked and she may have known she was going to meet Dodi, and she may have been speaking in general 'what if' terms.
Tony Blair didn't give the date. The date was given by Alasstair Compbell's diary "The Blair Year". And the article written by Richard Kay also gives the date

TONY BLAIR'S MEMOIRS: Did he really warn Diana about Dodi? | Mail Online

William was at present, but when Blair and Diana had the talk, they were alone, and all the other people were playing football.

Tony Blair had emphasize in his book that was the LAST meeting he had with Diana, there was no other follow-up meeting.

Diana wasn't seeing Dodi at that time. But she was introduced to him by her step-mother in the spring. I think her step-mother wanted to set them up. So Diana come to Tony Blair for advice.

But Tony Blair's answer was really disappointing. He said Dodi was a problem, but it was not due to his nationality, religion or background. And he said he never met him, only know he was a good son and a nice guy, but he still feel Dodi was a problem. In one words, he didn't know why, but Dodi was a problem. This is a very disappointing answer, because it was equivalent to tell Diana, "I have a prejudice against this guy". No wonder Diana wouldn't take his advice, to the contrary, more determined to have a try with Dodi. Diana hated prejudice.

Prejudice -- preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

BTW, "a good son" here was referring to Dodi's devotion to his mother, he would telephone her almost every day up to her death. Dodi once told a friend: "If it meant giving up everything I have—cars, wealth, and women—I would do it to bring my mother back."

Samira Khashoggi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
Tony Blair didn't give the date. The date was given by Alasstair Compbell's diary "The Blair Year". And the article written by Richard Kay also gives the date

TONY BLAIR'S MEMOIRS: Did he really warn Diana about Dodi? | Mail Online

William was at present, but when Blair and Diana had the talk, they were alone, and all the other people were playing football.

Tony Blair had emphasize in his book that was the LAST meeting he had with Diana, there was no other follow-up meeting.

Diana wasn't seeing Dodi at that time. But she was introduced to him by her step-mother in the spring. I think her step-mother wanted to set them up. So Diana come to Tony Blair for advice.

But Tony Blair's answer was really disappointing. He said Dodi was a problem, but it was not due to his nationality, religion or background. And he said he never met him, only know he was a good son and a nice guy, but he still feel Dodi was a problem. In one words, he didn't know why, but Dodi was a problem. This is a very disappointing answer, because it was equivalent to tell Diana, "I have a prejudice against this guy". No wonder Diana wouldn't take his advice, to the contrary, more determined to have a try with Dodi. Diana hated prejudice.
I am afraid Mr Blair's answers are and always have been disappointing and I would't believe a single word he says, written or otherwise. It's all a load of old codswallop! Dodi a problem? Why then? You can't tell someone to stay away fro someone else without a proper reason and worse still write about it years later and still not give a proper reason.
__________________
J
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 1,309
Mr Blair bore no any responsibility for Diana whatsoever, like Mr Cameron bears no responsibility for Sarah or for Mark Phillips, to name some ex-spouses to royals. That is why it is hard to imagine that Mr Blair would be "warning" Diana for people she mingled with. It was none of his business at all and I can not imagine a British Prime Minister, ruled by his demandig agenda, making the time for this sort of futilities as private flings of former royal spouses.

__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diana and Dodi Statue unveiled; D&D dolls for sale on eBay iowabelle Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 110 04-18-2011 06:24 PM
Princess Badiya bint El Hassan To Marry Khalid Blair mybags Royal House of Jordan 35 04-11-2009 11:02 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]