Concert For Diana: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
..... I really wish that Elton John had played Candle in the Wind.
I am really glad he didn't. It would have been entirely inappropriate.

When he played it at her funeral it was a beautiful haunting modern-day Requiem. The concert was to celebrate her life, and it did so in grand style. P Diddy and the Royal Ballet? Something memorable for everyone.

To have played 'Candle in the Wind' would have been instant deja vu, wallowing in remembered grief if you will. Far better the triumphant celebration of her life and her legacy, not least of which are two handsome sons. :flowers:

I totally agree with you Marg, Candle in the Wind would have broght tears in everyone's eyes and that wasn't the purpose of the event.

By the way i think p diddy was great, he really dedicated his whole performance ti Diana unlike other artists.

It took me a while to register at this forum, but anyway, just wanted to say that I really enjoyed most of the concert; there were some performances I didn't enjoy (just not a fan in particular) but that didn't ruin anything for me. I even enjoyed P. Diddy's performance, maybe I'm biased because I love that song, and I heard the Princes like it as well and that's why he played it. But it almost brought tears to my eyes, like many of those "Diana & Me" moments, there were so great! Especially when they showed the person there at the stadium.

Actually, weren't all or most of the songs chosen by the princes themselves?

And, for a second there, I thought/hoped Beckham would introduce a surprise comeback performance by the Spice Girls, lol.

Sir Elton rages as princes' security guard makes him walk to post-gig party

As a member of rock 'n' roll royalty, Sir Elton John does not take kindly to being outranked.

Not even by Princes William and Harry.

Sir Elton rages as princes' security guard makes him walk to post-gig party | the Daily Mail

while i really like elton john as a performer i've read, far too many times over the years, about his temper and overblown ego. he can be so nauseating when he does this. the sad thing is once upon a time he probably could have had his way in a situation like this but now he's 60 years old and while still respected around the world as a performer, i have this to say about his outburst....honey...your hayday is ooooooovvvvver!

I don't think it has anything to do with Elton or any other star being in his prime or not. Simply times have changed. The security measure was also for his benefit as well. I don't think his temper would have improved if someone drove a flaming car into the after party area when he was there.

I did not see the concert, but I have been told that someone sent greetings to Crown Prince Frederik & Crown Princess Mary. Is that true?

Yes, Elton can be a handful. Have you ever seen the movie of his concert tour! Even he later admitted his behavior was outrageous.

I chalk it up to having to be in the closet for 30 something years before he came out. I think at that point, he didn't want to live to please anyone else ever again.

But he's still one of my favorite musicians, I'd just have to tell him to chill out every once in a while.

I must say I was very very disappointed in NBC. I don't have cable television, so I couldn't watch the entire 6 hours coverage on VH1. But I expected more than 1 hour of coverage by NBC! At least 2 hours, maybe even 3! What little I was able to see was nice though. My favorite was Diddy's song (the tittle escapes me) about Notorious BIG's murder. Although I wondered why Elton wasn't allowed to sing 'Candle in the Wind' by the Princes but Diddy could sing this one? The other thing that bugged me was when the performers addressed the Princes, they turned to their right, meaning the Princes would have been sitting to the left of the stage (from the audience perspective). But when the Prince or other in the "royal box" were shown looking toward the stage, they were looking towards their right indicating that they would've been sitting to the right of the stage.

Oh,what a pity! I can't see the concert.I just caught some videos from the youtube.It,s wonderful.I really want to see it.

Do you think they'll put out a DVD of the concert? After all it was 6 hours long and supposedly contained footage of Diana in her chairty works. If the concert was meant to raise money for their respective charities, DVD sales could add enormously to that!

But he's still one of my favorite musicians, I'd just have to tell him to chill out every once in a while.
I am being bullied to go to his concert on the 15th, I'll tell him for you, unless I can get out of it! :D

Last edited:
Skydragon, I just saw him last year and he still puts on a great concert for his years. I personally had a wonderful time. I hope you do to.

Lily

I am being bullied to go to his concert on the 15th, I'll tell him for you, unless I can get out of it! :D

I'm sure he'd listen to us for sure! :rolleyes: I'd love to see Elton but I know how you feel. My sister in law is always trying to get me to go with her to see Rod Stewart. Every time she brings it up, I want to :sick:.

Do you think they'll put out a DVD of the concert? After all it was 6 hours long and supposedly contained footage of Diana in her chairty works. If the concert was meant to raise money for their respective charities, DVD sales could add enormously to that!
I agree with that. And I definitely believe a DVD will be release soon enough. Not sure I will buy though, it was nice watching it on tv but there weren't that many performers I like, or maybe I could buy it just for the charity...

The boys

I loved the above pictures of the boys but why aren't they wearing their seatbelts? I don't care if they are going at a snails pace, didn't they learn anything!!! :bang:

Lily

i dont know if anybody noted this, but was edward(duke of kent's grandson) present at the concert. I was really surprised when i realised he i didnt see him because they claimed to have invited all their mothers grandchildren and young royals...yet niether him or his sisters attended :(

They are putting the concert out on DVD it came out on the Concertfordiana.com a few days ago. I personally WILL buy it...but probably won't watch it too often, just buy it to help raise money for her charity.

I just went to the ConcertforDiana site and the program is for sale. They state a DVD will be coming out soon. Maybe you have a different place to look at Ashlea Q of H because if you can find a DVD for sale right now I'm buying it. I did purchase the program as I really wanted one for a keepsake. Thank you so much for the heads up.

Lily

I was looking at photos of the royal box on another site. Am I alone in noticing that Diana's sister (diagonally between William and Catherine) has far more of a resemblance to Camilla now than she ever had to her sister in life? Is this the sister who used to go out with Charles? If so, I'd say he certainly 'runs true' preference wise!

That would be Lady Jane Fellowes. The one who used to go out with Charles is Lady Sarah McCorquodale who was also at the concert. I spotted her, in one of the pictures from the concert, sitted one or two places to Lady Jane's left (our right).

It was good to see Lady Sarah dancing and having a good time I really enjoyed watching this great concert.

I couldn't believe it, I got the time wrong and saw the very last frame of the home movies with Diana. Scowl.

Home Movies did you mean the Diana and Me videos they showed at the concert?

Those home movies were the sweetest part of the whole show. Diana doing her "Spencer Special" dive, and practicing her ballet and then slapping her towel around was so precious. It left me wanting to see more of this wonderful, growing Diana, through the years. I kept hoping we would see footage of teen years too. It was over much too soon. :sad:

About the Princes' cousins, I made these (from hola.com originally)
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b...certrex/?action=view&current=diana.016001.jpg
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b...certrex/?action=view&current=diana.017001.jpg
I am amazed at how much the Spencer twins look like Diana when she was the same age. Did anyone notice the woman next to Lady Kitty Spencer? Is she Jessica Craig?

Back
Top Bottom