The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_windsor View Post
I have to say that i thought that the concert was a truly amazing celebration of the life of Diana and i think it unfair how you could pick on someone for being asked to comemorate her. yes he may not have met Diana or knew her personally neither have some of the other performers and fans who attended that day but does that give you the right to say that he cannot give 'shout outs' i think if that is his way it is fine.

He was not forced to get on that stage and i dont think it was a publicity stunt so i dont think it is fair to say that he didnt care and because i'm sure he wouldnt have come all the way over to the UK if he didnt. He actually had not dedicated that soong to her, but he sang it at an award show after she died as sort of a tribute...and as they said it was the MOST REQUESTED song on the day of her death.

I dont think its a sad song. If you understand it you'll realise it is a HEALING song about moving on.

Im sorry to say that if you dont think he was being sincere, thats fine. However, if you are going to pick on him as the only one who wasnt sincere, i dont think thats fair.
well first of all i cant see how the words 'picking on' could apply to a twenty-something on an online message board criticizing one of the richest, most famous rappers in the world.

i like the song too. it was the first cd i ever bought in my life, in fact. it was all the stupid shouting that he did that bothered me. "so beautiful! so elegant!' i found it embarrassing.

but look, if you were touched by his shouting then I'm happy for you. I wish I could have been.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Gentry

maybe a stupid question but why wasnt charles there? the princes friends and girlfriends/ ex girlfriends had their parents there?

Old 07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I dont think its a sad song. If you understand it you'll realise it is a HEALING song about moving on.
Thank goodness for the mute button!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
maybe a stupid question but why wasnt charles there? the princes friends and girlfriends/ ex girlfriends had their parents there?
I understand that Charles and Camilla didn't go because they wanted the focus to be on the two princes, not them.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Gentry

the earl of spenser's daughters are very pretty! and look very similar
Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
Anyone knows if Prince Charles said something about it?

Vanesa.
What should he say?
The Prince of Wales has, as a loving father, always a supporting role for his sons, so i´m sure he gave them a helping hand in this case too.
It was never planed that Charles and Camilla would visit the concert. They will visit the memorial service in August ( together wth the Queen), but the concert was an event only from the two sons for their mother.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

When I saw he singing I just tought about William and Harry's face towards the song and the letter he was singing at that momment, Puff Daddy was really bad and even so his song "missing you" was very beautiful he has ruin everything!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
On the interview, william said that no senior member of the royal family would be there. Perhaps that might have been a diplomatic approch to avoiding Camilla..im not sure thier intentions there though, im just guessing. I does seem strange though that their other aunts and uncles could come but not the royal ones...o well
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Absolutely great concert, the princes had done a marvellous job! The feeling at Wembley seemed to be fantastic. I specially liked the Lloyd Webber musicals, especially Andrea Bocelli was superb! Elton John and Josh Stone are also my favourites. Have to admire Tom Jones and Rod Stewart, old guys still going strong. I liked also David Beckham´s presentation, there´s something so warm and genuine in that man.
Kate looked lovely, I believe she and William are together again.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by talula View Post
But hands down the worst performance was Pharell. The crowd was not feeling him and he is singing 'Drop it like it's hot' for this event. What the hell? Am I missing something??
I found several of the songs the artists performed quite odd. Drop It Like It's Hot, Maneater, Gold Digger...?! I mean, I love those songs, but very, very odd songs to choose for this sort of event. Overall, however, I am pleased with the way the concert went!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Courtier

P Diddy and the Princes: the night William and Harry met rap royalty | the Daily Mail
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Gentry

To answer the 'why wasn't Charles there' question, the commentators on VH1 explained that the boys wanted the focus to be on the younger royals and then they made the comment that even though she is the Queen, most people wouldn't want to attend a rock concert with their grandmother. Which is true, I suppose. I'm not so sure at her age that the Queen would have wanted to attend it, either. Charles I don't really know. I'm not picturing Camilla dancing to 'Maneater', either!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
On the interview, william said that no senior member of the royal family would be there. Perhaps that might have been a diplomatic approch to avoiding Camilla..im not sure thier intentions there though, im just guessing. I does seem strange though that their other aunts and uncles could come but not the royal ones...o well
And no senior royals were there, why should it be an approach to avoid Camilla. Harry has already told everyone how they love her to bits?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
And no senior royals were there, why should it be an approach to avoid Camilla. Harry has already told everyone how they love her to bits?
indeed. and camilla and charles have been invited to the church service on august 31.

I think I read some kind of a statement from clarence house that this concert was mostly intended for the younger generation.

i doubt charles and camilla would have enjoyed the music very much anyway.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Gentry

Does anyone else think that it looked like the Princes walked up and stopped Sir Elton John early? I think he was going to sing more songs and perhaps end the night with Candle In The Wind. After all it has been said by many that the Princes had requested him to sing it. I think they had to stop the show early due to having to end the concert by 10:30 pm. Any thoughts by others?

Lily
Old 07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hundreds of empty seats at Diana concert

Organisers of Prince William and Prince Harry’s memorial concert for their mother could have sold more tickets but left it too late, it has emerged

Hundreds of empty seats at Diana concert | Uk News | News | Telegraph
Old 07-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Courtier

Believe it or not, I actually forgot that this was going to be on. I caught about the last 30 min of it or so. Tom Jones with Joss Stone was an odd coupling. I thought it weird that Pr. William did not memorize any of his closing speech. He read it totally and completely off of the cards.
I thought the video of her childhood years put a nice closing touch to the concert. It was great that her children wanted to share something so personal with the public.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Thank goodness for the mute button!
Amen Skydragon! Feeling a bit old and out of touch during that number yesterday.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Nobility

After hearing BBC reports of bomb scares in the UK, I thought the concert would be affected in a big way. But it was great to see the defiance of the people who turned up, even though they were subjected to rigid security checks. Nothing was going to deter them from attending this celebration.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Commoner

I just wanted to mention a couple of points.

A] Someone mentioned that they cut Eltons performace at the end. Quite correct, they ran over by 30 mins & eventually had to cut 2 of his songs - supposedly one was candle in the wind but that may just be media gossip b/c it is a rather sad song & would perhaps contradict the montage / queen song at the end.

B] At the start when Elton opened the stadium did have many empty seats. Basically b/c of the failed bombings in London on Fri & the Airport suicide car bomb thing at Glasgow airport [scotland] on Saturday - obviously the concert security was insane. The security was that of airport security - every bag searched & everyone scanned - due to this many people didn't make it for the start b/c they were held up with security. Also it's obviously a soccer pitch so the stage was on the pitch therefore one side of the stadium was useless b/c it was behind the stage! then at the other end - directly in front of the stage at the opposite side was 2 huge tower structures - so seats at that side were also left empty b/c people wouldn't be able to view the stage / screens.

C] I think the older performers that some people have criticised were great. Duran Duran was dianas face band & Rod Stewart was one of the best of the day - it was a british event, she was a british princess so I think it's only right that the some of the most well known british "wrinklies" performed - also, the age range was huge - kids to grandmas so to have all young acts would be plane ridiculous - I think they did a good job in having something for everyone.

D] Though I think PDiddys performance was rather indulgent - definitely more of an american performance than a british one ... watching british t.v this morning they showed prince harry wiping away tears while diddy was performing so I think it perhaps touched a number of people - sailing, by rod stewart was the other song that stirred the emotions of the masses.

E] Someone mentioned drinking - they were all drinking - harry had numerous pints of beer - pretty much everyone in the royal box was drinking - wine & beer ...

Overall I thought it was pretty good - If you put yourself in the princes position - watching the clips of your deceased mother for 6hrs must have been pretty hard - especially when people were talking so kindly about her ...

Sorry for all the typos - English is my 3rd language!

Tags
concert for diana, diana princess of wales, prince harry, prince william, princess diana