The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Of course, Lady Diana should have liked this concert in her honour. Her children organized it wonderfully. This is not the kind of ambiance I'll like, but it was a concert in Lady Diana's memory and not in mine, so I should be happy.

Anyone knows if Prince Charles said something about it?

Vanesa.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma View Post
I thought Diddy's performace was just embarrassing. he kept shouting studiply about how diana was 'great.' it was cringe inducing.
I agree! It was the worst part of the show imo.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Courtier

I'm sure Diana should be very proud of her boys! great concert!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Commoner

I thought I saw someone look like david Beckham...and it is Beckham and his son.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

it was too sad a song for a celebration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
They did say something about how the princes asked him to sing it, but he told them never again after the funeral. It was too hard for him to get through it.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I thought his songs were very good, I was impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I found it interesting that when he told Diana who the potential donaters for the symphony orchestra might be she would go to them and thank them for donating and then they very often did

Quote:
I like that story about when Diana took William to the symphony and was late because Harry was upset that he couldn't go too, and then William fell asleep on the shoulder of that man.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Though I like the idea that the Princes wanted to celebrate their mothers life by giving a concert and collecting money for causes that Diana felt strongly about, I must confess that I look at this with mixed feelings.

I know that monarchies have to change and go along with times et all, but to see Prince Harry all over his girlfriend during an official event is too much change for me. So is the fact that the girl is actually sitting next to him. Her style and her manners don't seem very sophisticated either, it is somewhat simular to that of a so-called WAG (wives and girlfriends of soccer players).

The footage of Lady Diana that was shown there was rather nice and moving, especially those of her childhood years. I haven't seen it before and it was a nice gesture of the Princes to share these private videos witht he public.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Royal Highness

from some of the shots you could see there were still lots of seats left...this might be as sometimes the seats directly beside the stage left empty for various reasons. i watched snippets of the concert so i couldn't really give an opinion but from what i've read here it sounds like it was great.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Charles wasn't happy when he was not seated next to Camilla at the wedding of one of the daughters of the duke of westminster because they were not married. It seems logical that his sons treat their girlfriends as eqauls just like their father preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Though I like the idea that the Princes wanted to celebrate their mothers life by giving a concert and collecting money for causes that Diana felt strongly about, I must confess that I look at this with mixed feelings.

I know that monarchies have to change and go along with times et all, but to see Prince Harry all over his girlfriend during an official event is too much change for me. So is the fact that the girl is actually sitting next to him. Her style and her manners don't seem very sophisticated either, it is somewhat simular to that of a so-called WAG (wives and girlfriends of soccer players).

The footage of Lady Diana that was shown there was rather nice and moving, especially those of her childhood years. I haven't seen it before and it was a nice gesture of the Princes to share these private videos witht he public.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Aristocracy

i just finished watching it a couple of hours ago...

as a lot of people saying they'd done a great job!

i wish i was back in london in time for this... so i can watch it live! unfortunately i'm here in manila.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Everytime I hear that song, I think of Diana because on the day of her passing that was (in Australia anyhow) the song the television networks and radio stations used as a sort of tribute. While it nearly always brings a tear to my eye (As it did when I watched the concert) I didn't find 'Diddy's' onstage monkey like manoeuvres all that enticing.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy

Job well done! I loved the concert and was thrilled to share it with my 3 girls. I was a bit worried we would get bored with it but we loved the inbetween Diana & me moments. It is a day I will never forget sharing with my girls.
As far as Kate and William I felt so bad for her. If she isn't with him I would have stayed home for the event and watched on tv. But if I was with him and if the pictures are true of her car being driven into Clarence House the night before after midnight (I would think the picture says it all) than they are together and they had to share this event rows apart. How sad that must have been for them. Plus I am sure William would have liked her to be seated next to him.
Overall I have to say I was impressed with the way the boys conducted themselves. I was dreading Harry getting drunk in the stands and thrilled he didn't seem to be drinking. Than of course the selection of performers was a wonderful mix of old and newer groups.
I do believe in a heaven and I do believe that Diana was watching down on her birthday smiling on her boys. They did a fitting tribute to her and I believe they have got it right doing a concert on her birthday and a memoral service on the day of her death.
The best part was the end when they showed videos and my girls 6,5, and 2 were cheering look at Diana and dancing around like her afterwards in a fit of giggles.
It was a wonderful day!
Diana would be so proud!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Courtier

Kate and Wills keep Wembley guessing at Diana concert

more pics.. reception after theconcert party..

WENN Photo Library
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Gentry

I agree with some of you, Diddy was embarrassing. I saw the whole day's footage on VH1--fabulous concert, like I said before. I watched the NBC special last night and was not impressed at all. They did not capture the mood or feeling of the concert, in my opinion. It was a shoddy recap.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanymph View Post
I thought I saw someone look like david Beckham...and it is Beckham and his son.
Yes David Beckham was there with his son .
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiep View Post
I agree with some of you, Diddy was embarrassing.
Yes. I just found it so annoying that he kept saying 'Diana we miss you, we love you, etc, etc.' It came off to be soo insincere. I wonder if he even met her!

But hands down the worst performance was Pharell. The crowd was not feeling him and he is singing 'Drop it like it's hot' for this event. What the hell? Am I missing something??
Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by talula View Post
Yes. I just found it so annoying that he kept saying 'Diana we miss you, we love you, etc, etc.' It came off to be soo insincere. I wonder if he even met her!

and the way he was shouting it made it worse. i didnt think it was a fitting tribute to diana. i felt like for him this was just any other event for a deceased celebrity. he would shout like that about anyone.

I liked the way most of the acts approached the situation. just singing their songs and letting the context speak for itself. diddy has an aggrandized sense of self.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma View Post
and the way he was shouting it made it worse. i didnt think it was a fitting tribute to diana. i felt like for him this was just any other event for a deceased celebrity. he would shout like that about anyone.

I liked the way most of the acts approached the situation. just singing their songs and letting the context speak for itself. diddy has an aggrandized sense of self.
I have to say that i thought that the concert was a truly amazing celebration of the life of Diana and i think it unfair how you could pick on someone for being asked to comemorate her. yes he may not have met Diana or knew her personally neither have some of the other performers and fans who attended that day but does that give you the right to say that he cannot give 'shout outs' i think if that is his way it is fine.

He was not forced to get on that stage and i dont think it was a publicity stunt so i dont think it is fair to say that he didnt care and because i'm sure he wouldnt have come all the way over to the UK if he didnt. He actually had not dedicated that soong to her, but he sang it at an award show after she died as sort of a tribute...and as they said it was the MOST REQUESTED song on the day of her death.

I dont think its a sad song. If you understand it you'll realise it is a HEALING song about moving on.

Im sorry to say that if you dont think he was being sincere, thats fine. However, if you are going to pick on him as the only one who wasnt sincere, i dont think thats fair.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Aristocracy

I think was a great idea the concert for Princess Diana. It was okay.

Tags
concert for diana, diana princess of wales, prince harry, prince william, princess diana