The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Some pictures of Diana's family-memebers arriving for the concert:
Earl Spencer and his children Kitty, Eliza, Katya and Frederick
oh my goodness, I didn't realize they were so grown up!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

Princes greeted by standing ovation

Princes greeted by standing ovation | the Daily Mail

William hails 'perfect' Diana event

William hails 'perfect' Diana event | the Daily Mail

In pictures: Concert for Diana

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Slid....xml&site=News

Old 07-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Gentry

I have to agree with everyone else, a perfect time had by all. I must say though I did not see all the seats filled and tried my best to get tickets here via the internet and could not, I so would have loved to have been there! I think everyone, including the Princes, outdid themselves and Diana is indeed proud and smiling.

Lily
Old 07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Commoner

I just finished watching the concert. The boys did a wonderful job. I was just sorry to hear the "rappers" use such HORRIBLE language, and was very surprised they were included. The only bad thing on the whole concert IMO.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Courtier

The Princes really pulled up something! They looked really relaxed and proud. A little bit clumpsy for dancing but what the heck. It was meant to be a true celebration of Diana's life, and I think every artist succesfully fulfilled that aim.

I was really looking forward to Take That performance, and they didn't dissapoint me at all (well, maybe Mark Owen's shirt was clearly screaming "Burn Me", but still). Elton John, not playing Candle in the Wind...well THAT was weird, but I think its absense also contributed to the no-tears-today purpose.

Kate Middleton in the audience...shheeeshhh how odd not to see her with William...she must have felt really odd as well. Chelsy Davy was behaving very correctly, but I'm sure she would have loved to cuddle with Harry during TT's "Back for Good"...
Old 07-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I was thinking of Tom Jones (okay, a national icon), Rod Stewart and, yikes, Donny Osmond. Elton John I adore, although I can remember when people thought he was straight -- although he stopped producing the good music when he got clean. And have Duran Duran been in storage all this time?? They were popular for about 15 minutes. (But to be honest, I hardly know any of the "new" popular stars. )
Yikes, I don't like Rod Stewart either. Donny Osmond was cute when he was about 12 but I haven't kept up with him. I still love my original Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album though.

BTW, you all probably know this but the lyrics to Candle in the Wind were written by Bernie Taupin, Elton John's lyricist and good friend. Bernie had had a teenage infatuation with Marilyn Monroe and wrote a song first entitled "Goodbye Norma Jean" which then changed to "Candle in the Wind" which was released on the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album in 1972.

When Diana died, Elton (who can't write lyrics to save his life) asked Bernie to re-write some lyrics to commemorate Diana. So the song is not just Elton's; both he and Bernie should own the copyright to it. So its possible that the agreement between Elton and Bernie for the re-write was that it would be played/available for a limited time only.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Gentry

I thought that William looked kind of sad in some of the pictures whereas Harry looked happier, could it be that it was more fun because Chelsey was nearby? I can't help but think that William missed Kate, so close but yet so far? They couldn't really interact. I keep looking closely at the pictures looking for some hidden sign, are they together not together. :)
Proud of the boys though for putting this together, so positive of them. Wonder what their Dad and Grandma thought?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Serene Highness

So is it safe to say that the young girls sitting behind Will and Harry were their Spencer cousins?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dunno But I Somehow think that Kate and William are just fooling the press.......when Take That Sang "Back for Good " I Kept thinking "Sit with each other I See your in Love" Chemistry like that just doesent go kapoot and the fact that her parents were there shows no hard feelinngs And That William dropped his Snotty Friends ........or that those stories were fake I Just Keep thing of JFK jr lol Plus they couldve met up at the afterparty and shes been reportedly been spending time at Clarence House.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
So is it safe to say that the young girls sitting behind Will and Harry were their Spencer cousins?
That is what I believe, Christina. I think directly behind W & H were Earl Spencer's daughters, and then next to Zara and Peter there was Laura Fellowes. I am sure the rest of them must have been in the same row but it was impossible to notice everyone with the short glimpses.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
So far, I think it would have been better not to have some of the aged 'rockers'!
I think it was nice that they were included, though. They were from the eighties, when Diana 'grew up' I guess. But I wish NBC would have aired the ballet performance, because that is the part I most wanted to see, but they didn't show it! Terrible! I could have done without Diddy, without Rod Stewart, without Fergie (terrible song of Fergie's, terribly sung) just to see the ENB perform, that's who I wanted to see more than anyone, and they didn't show it, or I missed it -- but I can't have missed it, because I was glued to the whole thing! It's terrible. I think the NBC airing just showed off the American performers and those "legendary" ones they *had* to show. And they completely scrapped what was apparently the best part, the ballet! Well, I am hoping iTunes will have the concert in full, and not just what NBC showed.

About the Spencer cousins:
In looking at the pics on this thread again, I definitely recognized George McCorquodale, Laura Fellowes, the Earl Spencer's twin girls. I always recognize George when I see him because he looks so much like his mother and a bit like Harry (though now Harry has changed so much, they don't look alike so much as they did in their teen years!) But it is always nice to see the Spencer family. I like most of them.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Aristocracy

That concert was amazing, the boys participated in all decisions,not just invited artist like Elton Jhon , also Fergie, Nelly Furtado.....it was for all type of likes.Bravo for them!!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Some pictures of Diana's family-memebers arriving for the concert:

Earl Spencer and his children Kitty, Eliza, Katya and Frederick
his son Frederick? Not Louis?
Thank you for the pics. The father and son look so much alike.
YES! Lady Rose! I just love those Gloucesters.

And I did adore the finale to the concert, the video of little Diana. Only wish it was longer! I could have done with more video clips and less 'pop culture' !
Old 07-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Gentry

I saw most of the show live, and I have to say that it was a great one. It truly embodied the spirit of a celebration of Diana. That's exactly what the princes wanted.

During the 'pauses' of the show, the anchors of the newscast were interviewing several people. They interviewed a royal insider who actually said that William and Kate are together. They did break-up because William got 'cold-feet' but they are back together but are keeping a low-profile. She also mentioned that the Queen is in approval of this and that is why Kate was able to attend the concert. She realized the mistake in pressuring Charles, so she doesn't want to make the same mistake with William and thus letting him decide. But as the lady said 'the final decision is always up to the Queen'
The royal insider was an elderly lady and I wish I remembered her name! I get the feeling that what she said was true. She seemed to have close ties with them, but in the end who knows!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talula View Post
I saw most of the show live, and I have to say that it was a great one. It truly embodied the spirit of a celebration of Diana. That's exactly what the princes wanted.

During the 'pauses' of the show, the anchors of the newscast were interviewing several people. They interviewed a royal insider who actually said that William and Kate are together. They did break-up because William got 'cold-feet' but they are back together but are keeping a low-profile. She also mentioned that the Queen is in approval of this and that is why Kate was able to attend the concert. She realized the mistake in pressuring Charles, so she doesn't want to make the same mistake with William and thus letting him decide. But as the lady said 'the final decision is always up to the Queen'
The royal insider was an elderly lady and I wish I remembered her name! I get the feeling that what she said was true. She seemed to have close ties with them, but in the end who knows!
Could the lady be Lady Susan Hussey? She is rather old now, William's godmother, former lady-in-waiting to the Queen and one of Prince Charles's dearest friends. I doubt she ever or would ever talk to the press about the royals' private lives, though, unless she was doing it with their permission.

Here are more pics: http://www.geocities.com/casiraghitr...naconcert.html (sources: rex, bbc, reuters)

I identified more people in the special enclosure:
Guy Pelly, Mark Tomlinson, Thomas van Straubenzee, James Meade, James Murray Wells, Zara and Peter, Mike Tindall, William van Cutsem, of course all the Spencer/McCorquodale/Fellowes uncle/aunts/cousins, of course the Davys, the Middletons, the Grosvenors & van Cutsems, a sprinkling of Astors.... almost like reading a paragraph of Who's Who!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Royal Highness

Chelsy sure seemed to be having fun! There seemed to be more pictures taken of her than of Kate. I think we'll be hearing a lot more about her in the future, now that Kate's out of the picture and Harry's the only one in a serious relationship.

Was the girl with the funky hair Joss Stone? I don't know what she looks like very well.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The Grosvenors? - the children of the Duke and Duchess of Westminster? I believe that the Duchess was William's godmother and a close friend of Diana's. The Duke is an old friend of Charles.

Yes, Chelsy does look better in some of these pictures than I've seen her lately.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought Diddy's performace was just embarrassing. he kept shouting studiply about how diana was 'great.' it was cringe inducing.

joss stone and tom jones were really great though. loved their duet. and of course the ballet. wow!

has anyone seen a video of the harry and chelsy kiss?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Overall, great concert!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Commoner

I'm watching it now (tv channel Starmovies, rerun it in Malaysia now), I could say it is a great concert. Bravo to the 2 princes for organised it..

Chelsy and Harry are so lovey dovey....

Tags
concert for diana, diana princess of wales, prince harry, prince william, princess diana