Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. Here we go again. Another 15 minutes of fame beckons. At this rate it's a fair bet that by the time of the Memorial service, the Wales' men won't be speaking to Uncle Charlie, and he may yet find himself "uninvited"! :sick:

Charles Spencer is exactly like his father Johnnie Spencer in how he treats women. Johnnie Spencer was said to be a bully and a brute to his wives and that is why Diana's mother left him. Raine Spencer his second wife wasn't treated that much better but after he had his stroke, she took care of him until his death. Sounds like good ole Charlie is a clone of his father in looks and temprament.

I thought his speech at Diana's funeral was crass, can this man stoop any lower? :sad:

I really don't care for Charles Spencer. I think he envied Diana because of the position she married into making her a Princess, which usurped his position as an Earl. His nephews also outranked him and his own children. I think Charles Spencer had an ego that is his own undoing. By refusing Diana the use of the house on the Estate, he was then "usurping" her with the only power he had over his sister. Again, his ego and "pidly" position (compared to Diana's) was his own undoing and he will continue to have a troubled and unstable life.

He did not refuse her the use of a house on the Estate out of selfishness. That is an urban legend perpetuated by Paul Burrell, who has his own grievances against Earl Spencer. Ken Wharfe said, in his book, that after Spencer offered the Princess the use of the Garden House, he and the other royal protection officers examined the house and agreed that it was not functional for security purposes. For one thing, it was too close to the retaining wall of the estate. There was the security of William and Harry, as well as Diana, to consider, and the property had to fit within certain security considerations. There was no reason for Wharfe to lie about it-a simple examination of the layout of the Althorp grounds shows that the Garden House is close to the retaining wall. Spencer offered Diana the use of other homes that belong to the Spencers and she refused him because she was piqued-a point that Burrell has always conveniently forgotten to mention.

I don't care for Earl Spencer myself-but he was not the complete bad guy when it came to the Garden House issue. The offer was contingent on approval by Scotland Yard-and Scotland Yard didn't approve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response and the clarification. Again, the media has the ability to slant the truth and repeat inconsistencies and untruths for their own gain. I didn't have the information (or my poor memory has been my own undoing) to comment on it truthfully.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very valid points.

He's like Elvis...Priscilla mentioned that after the birth of Lisa Marie things changed in their relationship.

Yes, Colleen needs to stay on that birth control. Or she is going to lose that man. I wouldn't order any monogrammed towels!

How interesting! I have thought the same thing about the earl myself for years. I've thought when the Earl would see his beloved acting "motherly", that would have brought up some "unfinished business" in the relationship he had with his own mother. He really couldn't relate positively without anger to a motherly figure since his own "Mother figure" actually had to "abandon" him physically when he was developing his persona...Obviously, there is some deep seated emotional issues here. Bless them all....much sympathy from me...

It has been sort of a hobby of mine to psychoanalize both the Windsors and Spencers using an American DSM-III

Charles Spencer is exactly like his father Johnnie Spencer in how he treats women. Johnnie Spencer was said to be a bully and a brute to his wives and that is why Diana's mother left him. Raine Spencer his second wife wasn't treated that much better but after he had his stroke, she took care of him until his death. Sounds like good ole Charlie is a clone of his father in looks and temprament.

I concur the guy is a complete trainwreck, but at least he's an entertaining trainwreak... thus fun to watch him self-destruct.:D

In the meantime, I take it he's still dating that American lady, Colleen Sullivan? Wonder how that relationship will turn out if they are still together.

Colleen's father is a policeman so Champagne Charlie better be nice.

It was said Charles did not bring his wife or children to the service because he gave them the excuse he didn't have the cash for their airfare to London.

$$$$$

he is only in this for the pennies. which is sad cause i don't think diana ever wanted to be treated like this if she was still alive.

He's coming to Dallas on Thursday, Sept 6 (interesting date, imo), to find some Texan pennies. I'm really not interested in his well-rehearsed prattle about his furniture line and will not make any effort to attend the limited seating venue.

Does the Earl have a furniture line? I thought the butler did.

I also saw Earl Spencer's older children at the memorial. I don't think younger children should attend. Boy his children were very attractive.

Also the statement about the Earl's childhood problems with his mother sounds correct. He seems to leave his wives after they are pregnant and have the child. I hope he is able to over come this problem.:flowers:

The Earl Spencer has developed a furniture line based on of pieces found at Althorp in the prince ranges of $400 to $14,000. When it first came out the Earl and his last wife were photographed many times in the previous catalogue.

I once saw an ad in a decorating magazine with no pictures of the furniture just pictures of him and his wife...

Last edited:
Boy, talk about selling out on his connection to Diana and the Royal Family. Why is he doing this anyway, he's worth around 100 million pounds. Guess some people just can never have enough.

It is truly sad how many people have made money off of Diana; the greatest injustice is her brother.

I am sure these people are approached with promises of fame and fortune..powerful temptations.

These are the same people making complaints about the press and the lack of privacy of Diana, "time to move on", "leave her sons alone", etc...but they are fanning the eternal flame of the Pont d'Alma and Diana's memory.

Spencer Girls: Now and then

watching diana memorial service, i can see that the spencer girls are big girls now. they remind me of their aunts. 3 on 3!

The Spencer girls currently attend Stowe School. I think Kitty takes A Level exams next year. Where is Viscount Althorp studying? Maybe Stowe also, as it's co-ed right? Though he might be at Eton like every past and present Earl Spencer.

When I saw the Spencer girls I was amazed at how beautiful they are, all three of them. I know their mother was beautiful but other then thier Aunt Diana, I never thought the rest of the Spencer where good looking people. Do the girls still live with thier mother in South Africa?

I think they spend most of their time away from Stowe in South Africa, yes. I think both of their parents live in the Cape Town area, don't they, at least for a good part of the year?

I think they spend most of their time away from Stowe in South Africa, yes. I think both of their parents live in the Cape Town area, don't they, at least for a good part of the year?

both parents own a home in CONTESTINE(sP), SOUTH AFRICA which is not to far from CAPE TOWN.

He's coming to Dallas on Thursday, Sept 6 (interesting date, imo), to find some Texan pennies. I'm really not interested in his well-rehearsed prattle about his furniture line and will not make any effort to attend the limited seating venue.

i ended up going pinkie (and the big haired ladies that lunch had brought their piggie banks:eek:) (btw the food was fantastic:lol:) mcgannons is a very high end furniture showroom and his stuff is gorgeous, hand made reproductions from the house( think big bucks) (my favorite sofa in the place (not his) cost $52,000 so you know the range). he was very nice and charming, talking to people and having photos taken. he took questions- one guy asked how it felt to be the brother of the most famous woman of the 20th century and he replied "i don't know you'd have to ask madonnas brother" one lady said how much harry looks like him and he was sweet and said "thank you, i hear that all the time, poor prince harry he can't be to pleased or something like that. he mentioned the 10th anniversary of her burial to another lady that mentioned loving diana and said thank you, she's very missed or something like that.
the little booklet said that the money goes to the upkeep of althorp and the books you could buy the money goes to charity. he said he liked Texas, everyone had been so friendly and he'd met a jim bob, so he could tell people at home that it's true we do use 2 word names regularly- he got a big laugh with that (from all the betty sues, sandra jeans, dennis johns etc in the crowd) my rep told me charles was approached by a big time furniture maker and it wasn't a cashing in thing, that the way he understood it the money goes into the altrop trust so is he cashing in i don't know, i do know the furniture is fine quality and very beautiful pieces. my favorite was called the washington trunk- george washingtons anscestors were somehow connected and lived on the estate when they died the trunk was put away and found later with a letter explaining the origin. he said he has the original in his private quarters with his cricket equipment in it- anyway the reproduction is to the finest detail including a gouge on the side and wine glass stain on top. it was something you could put in the front hall of any house. there was some ornate stuff but mostly refined classical designed furniture for any home. doesn't the queens grandson design and sell furniture? i'm not sure i can see the difference. do i think he was right not letting diana live there after the divorce NO do i think he has some being faithful issues YES is he someone i'd want my friend to marry NO would i buy his furniture if i could afford it- hmmm yes.

Thank you for sharing your day with us!!!

I "donated" my bit to the Althorp Trust when I went to "Diana Dress Roadshow" in Houston early last year. I think I have too many trinkets already with the Althorp name and curly-que crown on it from the souvenier section at the end of the velvet ribbon of the exhibit. I do really and truly keep my pennies in a teensy pink coin purse that says "Althorp" on it in my purse (purchased from the abovementioned exhibit).

The Washington forebears are buried at Great Brington church (where the Spencer Crypt is) and there is an ancient stained glass window near the crypt that is said to have inspired the American flag. It vaguely resembles an American Flag with the stripes and colors.

I am so glad you went! It reminds me of the time Fergie was at Northpark selling her china amid crying and wailing babies (Northpark is the local ritzy shopping mall here in the neighborhood for those of y'all lucky enough not to be living in North Dallas in the late summer heat).

I thought of Champagne Charlie today with the anniversary of his outstanding eulogy...but I wouldn't have made it to see him as I got caught in traffic on LBJ. :bang:

Yes, Lord Linely designs wounderful things for the home. His things are more my style (but waay out of my price range) almost modern and Bedemierish (sp) all at the same time. Very sleek and elegant, refined and tasteful pieces of furniture made from naturally felled wood when possible. I think there is some arrangement with Aunt Lilibet if any of the mighty oaks fall naturally or struck by lightning, he purchases them for his almost always custom made peices.

He even carved his wife Serena a tiara out of wood!!!!!

I once thought about buying a small picture frame from his shop window but when I converted the pounds and pence to what pennies were in my pocket, I was way out of luck. I think Fergie gave Beatrice a jewel chest from Linely for her 18th birthday.

Now, while I know for sure Prince Charles has friends here and has been here in Dallas, I did once talk to a doctor at a party who claimed early in their marriage when Prince Charles and Princess Diana had been in Palm Beach, they swung over to Dallas to spend the night here in Dallas at another friend's (he was an ex-pat) house. People were agog when they saw Diana and wanted her autograph and the only thing anyone could find to write on was toilet paper. She blushed and was in a fit of giggles but signed everyone's "loo paper". Prince Charles had a laugh and walked briskly away. Now I catagorize this under "urban legend" but this doctor swore it was true.

Last edited:
The Washington forebears are buried at Great Brington church (where the Spencer Crypt is) and there is an ancient stained glass window near the crypt that is said to have inspired the American flag. It vaguely resembles an American Flag with the stripes and colors. (posted by pinkie)

thanks for the facinating information wow i love this history stuff

the loo paper story made my day :)

Although I have pressured this physician to name the name of the local host of the royals, he refuses 19 years later! :bang:

But he swears on his mother's grave the "loo paper" situation really happened. :ROFLMAO:

I was fascinated to learn this morning in the royal news the Earl's furniture is made in Viet Nam....

the earl wasn't happy to see me coming cause i only went for the good food and free wine:) didn't spend a penny. way out of my price range anyway, oh well back to my costco world, i'm happy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom