Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zonk said:
I believe Diana felt that Jane's husband (Sir Robert Fellowes) who worked for the Queen was not on her side...and felt that her sister's allegiance was towards her husband and not her sister.

Yes, I recall that, too, about Robert Fellowes ~ also, isn't he a cousin to Sarah? I remember he didn't think too highly about either Diana or Sarah back in the late 80s/early 90s. Sarah had problems with him, too.

Bella said:
Yes, I recall that, too, about Robert Fellowes ~ also, isn't he a cousin to Sarah? I remember he didn't think too highly about either Diana or Sarah back in the late 80s/early 90s. Sarah had problems with him, too.

I'm not sure that is fair...I think it's highly probable that Robert Fellowes liked Diana, but did not think highly of the things that she did, such as the Morton book, etc. A case of "love the sinner, hate the sin". Remember, she lied to him, repeatedly, about the part she played in the book-by doing so, she placed him a very awkward position. Robert Fellowes was a traditional, career courtier who worked directly for the Queen and tried to protect the Queen's interests and the monarchy as a whole. Yes, he may be narrow minded, but Diana also violated his trust-so the problems were on both sides.

Some reports have said that problems in his marriage to Caroline arose after she found out about the Guppy incident, and that may have led to arguments. Spencer isn't the type to stick through the hard times, so it may have been enough to make him walk out. Either way, even if he ends up married to Coleen, something tells me its not going to last.

Bella said:
His maternal grandfather was (according to Wikipedia) Brigadier-General AFH Ferguson - grandfather of Sarah Ferguson.

kelly9480 said:
Some reports have said that problems in his marriage to Caroline arose after she found out about the Guppy incident, and that may have led to arguments. Spencer isn't the type to stick through the hard times, so it may have been enough to make him walk out. Either way, even if he ends up married to Coleen, something tells me its not going to last.
I've always thought he was a slick individual. He's kind of given me the creeps too.
And I always thought it was tacky how during the eulogy he lashed out at the royal family (even if what he said was the right thing or not- it was not the time or place).

Last edited:
sirhon11234 said:
I know Diana wasn't on the best of terms with Jane before her death. But I thought Diana and Sarah were really close. Wasn't Sarah Diana's lady-in-waiting at one time.

She was closer to Sarah, but as with the rest of the family, there were constant fallings out, IB.

Are there no actual photos of the Earl´s children? I only know them as little ones!

I seem to recall a photograph of a pretty teen Diana and brother Charles where he has his arms around her hugging her and she has her arms crossed and is almost pulling away from him. If anyone can post that picture I would appreciate it as I can't. That picture to me speaks volumes.

Lily

sassie said:
I'm not sure that is fair...I think it's highly probable that Robert Fellowes liked Diana, but did not think highly of the things that she did, such as the Morton book, etc. A case of "love the sinner, hate the sin". Remember, she lied to him, repeatedly, about the part she played in the book-by doing so, she placed him a very awkward position. Robert Fellowes was a traditional, career courtier who worked directly for the Queen and tried to protect the Queen's interests and the monarchy as a whole. Yes, he may be narrow minded, but Diana also violated his trust-so the problems were on both sides.

Yes, this is probably true. It makes more sense. After all, he really couldn't have disliked her too much personally as he'd known her since she was a young girl. I'm sure he felt torn during all the scandalous behavior. He was probably more than a little embarassed for her, too.

Earl Spencer was trying to show up the royal family at the funeral, he was feeding on public emotion. The Spencer's being Wills and Harry's "blood family" is still one of the stupidest things I have ever heard a person say. Guess what My Lord, children get their "blood" from both mom and dad. Notice how his "blood" nephews are never seen with him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the children of Earl Spencer, who are also teenagers by the time, have any contact to their cousins William and Harry? A recent picture showed the girls of Earl Spencer close with their mother, but not with the father. As Earl Spencer is now married a second time, and got another child by Caroline Freud, I wonder if he sees regularly the children of his first marriage. By the way, does anybody know about the children of his second wife Caroline from her first marriage to a direct descendant of Sigmund Freud? Are there any pictures? Do they have any contact to the Spencer children?

Wow...he's a prize isn't he?!

What an awful thing to do his children. Why do people (men and women) insist on hurting each other when their are children involved? He seems so petty.

I normally don't comment too much in the British section. But I have always thought of the Earl Spencer as the biggest waste of space and air their is on the planet. The guy is a complete jerk. What I don't understand is why women keep going after him. It's not like his actions are a secret. He was horrible to his first wife about her bulimia and anorexia, cheated on her, cheated on second wife, and that speech he gave at Diana's wedding. Not the place for that! He just wanted attention and gave little thought to the feelings of Diana's children who were present.

He left wife #2 just months after the birth of their second child. He dumped wife #1 for the affair with #2 and with all the attention to the family after Diana's death, he tried to be "respectable" by marrying her instead of just impregnating her. Now he's onto #3 (the girl has called herself his fiancee).

Seems Diana's legacy is a powerful aphrodesiac and the Earl is taking full advantage. He lost any decent respect during his tirade at Diana's funeral.

I almost want the wife to "soak" him financially but there isn't much money to the Spencer name and the Diana money is guarded.

What is wrong with that man. How can he want to put his own children out of his home. I often wonder how he and Princess Diana can be related.

Actually..when he divorced wife #1 he was having an affair with someone, but it wasn't wife #2. I believe it Chantal something..and he didn't bring her her to Diana's funeral..he brought Josie B.

Wife #2 was someone who was in his social circles..she was actually married to Matthew Freud..who left her for someone...can't remember the new's wife name. The 2nd wife will get a little something, but I believe the Spencer fortunte is tied up in land and trusts. If I was the new "fiancee" I would looking over my shoulder for the next ex Countess Spencer.

Its one thing to be slimy to your wife its quite another to be slimy to the mother of your children. Once might be an accident twice...I think we have a pattern here. Either way...he is quite apparent what he is about.

Both of his wives were titled Countess and lost (or soon will) the title. Is there anyway they can keep it, say in a pre-nup?

Suonymona said:
Both of his wives were titled Countess and lost (or soon will) the title. Is there anyway they can keep it, say in a pre-nup?
The ex-wives won't lose the title until they remarry. The first wife went from 'the Countess Spencer', to 'Victoria, Countess Spencer'.
There can be any number of xxx, Countess Spencers, limited only by the number of women the Earl is prepared to marry and divorce.

Yikes.

I guess there is a styling for divorcees now. I thought there was just a "special" one for Diana and the way the Duchess of Kent chooses to style herself.

I should know better than to rely on the press, who calls her Victoria Spencer and not Victoria, Countess Spencer, the ex-wife of the Earl of Spencer. Guess they don't get paid by the word!

This guy is an incredible womanizer. And he has six children...

And this from the canting hypocrite that took the moral high ground and villified the BRF whilst ostensibly giving a eulogy for his sister at her funeral.
As the rules dictate that inflamatory words like 'pond scum' should be ommitted, I can only hope that his present wife sucks him dry to the bone in the divorce.
Left with only his so-so looks, no money, and a highly inflated opinion of his own importance he wll be about as a attractive a prospect as yesterday's cold left-over sago pudding!

MARG said:
As the rules dictate that inflamatory words like 'pond scum' should be ommitted, I can only hope that his present wife sucks him dry to the bone in the divorce.

As much as I think he deserves it...I don't hope this. Because, then, he might sell Althorp, and Mohammed Al Fayed would likely buy it, and we'd really never hear the end of it. :lol:

sassie said:
As much as I think he deserves it...I don't hope this. Because, then, he might sell Althorp, and Mohammed Al Fayed would likely buy it, and we'd really never hear the end of it. :lol:
Oh, I don't know. At least it would get him off the streets (or the front page of the tabloiids which is much the same thing)? :lol:

What if Mo then gave a party and nobody came? Except , of course, all his fellow conspriracy theorists and his paid employees. :wacko:

As for Charles? Maybe he would disappear in the Wilds of South Africa! :lol:

Two birds with one stone? Nah, we could never get that lucky. :whistling:

Diana's brother is not my favorite person either. I can't forget that wonderful newscaster right after Diana's death who commented on the Earl's wild ramblings.

He said the Spencers could teach the royals a thing or two about being a dysfunctional family. That comment was so appropriate and so right.

Earl recalls Diana coffin eulogy

Earl Spencer has revealed how he repeatedly rehearsed the eulogy to his sister, Princess Diana, and even read it to her coffin in St James's Palace.

BBC NEWS | UK | Earl recalls Diana coffin eulogy

He is obviously trying to drum up trade by getting himself in the news again!

Two things really stand out among Earl Spencer's statements:

"I had read it to Althorp's two estate managers, who liked it very much, but advised me to remove a particularly bitter section attacking tabloid media moguls. I agreed with them: this was to be about Diana."

Pity he couldn't have given his godmother the same consideration.

"I also passed it by my then girlfriend, who was not one for reading or writing. "It sounds fine," she said."

Wasn't Earl Spencer still married to his first wife when Diana died? I seem to recall that Victoria accompanied to the funeral, in fact. And his remark about his girlfriend was completely disparaging.

Hypocrite. That whisper he heard wasn't satisfaction-it was horror. I think Diana would have found his attack on the RF appalling. She was trying to rebuild bridges, not destroy them further.

sassie said:
Wasn't Earl Spencer still married to his first wife when Diana died? I seem to recall that Victoria accompanied to the funeral, in fact. And his remark about his girlfriend was completely disparaging.
He went to the funeral with his girlfriend, at the time, Josie Borain. He and Victoria were divorced, finally in Dec 1997. Hypocrite indeed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom