Charles and Diana’s 30th Wedding Anniversary: A Look Back

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nata8904

Aristocracy
City
Bogotá D.C.
Country
Colombia
Hello everybody!

On this day (29 July) in 1981 England came to a halt to witness the marriage of Prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer - or Diana, Princess of Wales as we came to know her. Thirty years on, we look back at one of the most momentous occasions in the history of our Royal Family.

267325_10150252621886375_667561374_7698521_1368116_n.jpg

255098_10150210648461375_667561374_7321544_2960543_n.jpg

252550_10150196108061375_667561374_7179995_2246988_n.jpg

Great links. It's hard to see it all, since we know how the whole thing ended, literally.

My gosh how time has flown. I remember watching their wedding and was very excited to see them married. I loved all the pomp and circumstance. It looked like a fairy tale wedding.

I remember getting up at 4 in the morning to watch the wedding with the man I desperately wanted to marry. Three years later on the same weekend, I did. It makes me sad that Charles and Diana didn't have the fairy tale ending.

I remember getting up at 4 in the morning to watch the wedding with the man I desperately wanted to marry. Three years later on the same weekend, I did. It makes me sad that Charles and Diana didn't have the fairy tale ending.

Yes! you have the reason... was terrible the end... In this time I was not born... but my mom said me that was incredible and here in my country ( Colombia) the people wake up at 4 in the morning to watch the wedding...my mom always say me that was incredible!! a really fairy tale!

If you can watch this program Tomorrow on ITV1 from 9:00pm to 10:00pm (British hour)

Charles & Diana - Wedding of the Century

On 29th July 1981, Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer tied the knot in a wedding which captivated the nation. 30 years on, Juliet Aubrey narrates a look back at this defining moment of the 20th century, telling the story of the day using testimony from the people who witnessed it and from those who played a key role in the day's events. Featuring contributions from dressmaker David Emanuel and Diana's bridesmaid India Hicks as well as rarely seen archive footage from the day and recollections from those who covered the wedding on television, including Selina Scott, Martyn Lewis and Tim Ewart. SUB

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born 8 years after the wedding so I obviously don't have memories of watching it that day:). But as a child and now when I watch it I enjoy the pagentry, the people being patriotic, and the bride of course. Its interesting to read and hear people's memories of that day. It was a fairytale wedding no matter how the marriage ended

Yes! you have the reason... was terrible the end... In this time I was not born... but my mom said me that was incredible and here in my country ( Colombia) the people wake up at 4 in the morning to watch the wedding...my mom always say me that was incredible!! a really fairy tale!

I know I dreamed of following her up the aisle, which, as I said, I did, 3 years later. I definitely had "wedding fever".

i can remember waking up very early and trying to be so quiet as not to wake my parents. i collected everything that had her face on it. i cant believe 30 years have passed.

I remember getting up at the crack of dawn and being glued to the television.

As everyone knows this was before the internet, cable and everything (VHS?) so you had to watch it very intently in case you missed something. So no video streaming on the computer, if you missed something you missed it, unless you caught it on the evening news and really there was just ABC, NBC and CBS in the States. That was it. Thank goodness by 1986, you could tape Andrew and Sarahs!

All in all it was a very exciting wedding to watch.

I thought Diana looked beautiful (and the dress was okay IMO it was the 80's after all) and Charles looked very distinguished.

So sad that Prince Charles and Princess Diana divorced, and that Princess Diana died in a car accident. How sad their love story is...but still, I greet them a happy (and a sad) 30th wedding anniversary. :cry:

The purpose of this thread should be to reflect on member's memories of that day. We don't need to relive the Charles/Diana/Camilla triangle or if Charles and Diana were right for each other.

We all know how that turned out

The only thing I remember I was very young then, and Saint Paul's Cathedral was featured on the TV. I've learned then that Charles and Diana were married there.

I was a year younger than Diana and thought that the whole thing was just the most romantic courtship and wedding ever. I was watching the repeat of the wedding in the afternoon, and my father came in and said, "The poor little girl." I said, "Why? She's marrying the man she loves." My father repeated, "The poor little girl." He was 57 at the time, and so she would have seemed like a "little girl" to him. He realized better than I what kind of life she'd have. But still, it was a wonderful day. I really started collecting Diana memorabilia in 1982, when the first early biographies of her started coming out. They were fascinating, glamorous days.

I was not yet born in 1981 but when I first became interested in the British royal family one of the first thing I watched was the wedding (on youtube) It was such a beautiful day and even though I wasn't physically around at that time everytime I think of it I still can feel the joy and excitement by not only the British people but the whole world on that day. I definitely miss Diana to this day and I can't imagine how amazing tomorrow would have been had they stayed married. My mom had little to no interest in the royal wedding at that time but from what she did see back in the day I'm guessing on the news and what not she told me she remembers thinking "how can she marry him"? I asked her why she felt that way I told her "Diana loved him" she said she felt sorry Diana more then anything else and the life she was about to get herself into at such a young age which is interesting that my mom who is the exact same age as Diana could see what lay ahead.

Last edited:
I also remember how Princess Diana was married at the young age of 20. She reminds me of the young adults of today who are soon to be married. Princess Diana is a perfect example of young love.

When I remember that day, I always reflect on how proud Earl Spencer was walking his beautiful daughter down the aisle to marry the Prince of Wales, thinking she would one day become queen. :sad:

Yep I totally remember the speech he gave earlier that day on how proud he was of Diana^

I remember saying that they were divided by more than thirteen chronological years but at least she was making the one marriage that could NOT end in divorce!!!!!

I too got up very early to watch the wedding of the century 30 years ago today. I also remember sharing with friends, I was 13 at the time, that I didn't think the marriage would last due to the significant age difference. It pains me to have been right.

I also remember my father fussing at me for getting up early to watch a wedding, but I wouldn't get up early for other things. This year he didn't fuss at me much, probably because I get up early every day for work.

i was a year younger than diana and thought that the whole thing was just the most romantic courtship and wedding ever. I was watching the repeat of the wedding in the afternoon, and my father came in and said, "the poor little girl." i said, "why? She's marrying the man she loves." my father repeated, "the poor little girl." he was 57 at the time, and so she would have seemed like a "little girl" to him. He realized better than i what kind of life she'd have. But still, it was a wonderful day. I really started collecting diana memorabilia in 1982, when the first early biographies of her started coming out. They were fascinating, glamorous days.

is amazing that many people was thinking about the fairytale wedding...poor diana... They can see the future... Was a reality!

my mom had little to no interest in the royal wedding at that time but from what she did see back in the day i'm guessing on the news and what not she told me she remembers thinking "how can she marry him"? I asked her why she felt that way i told her "diana loved him" she said she felt sorry diana more then anything else and the life she was about to get herself into at such a young age which is interesting that my mom who is the exact same age as diana could see what lay ahead.

"how can she marry him"?

diana was really pretty but i cannot say same about charles...your mom had the reason!! And for all that hapened after!!

But i admit that prince charles not is a handsome but is elegant and distinguished

Back
Top Bottom