The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Aristocracy

I was just nine when Di got married and at that time we did not have a tv so i went to watch at the neighbours and i do not remember much of it but what i can remember was that i saw a huge wedding dress. Later on we got a subscription at a royalty magazine and i saw the pics of Diana and i do not know why but i suddenly started to cut out her pics , i think it was because of her beauty and than it started all and till now never ended ;-))

Old 07-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Courtier

I think, for all of the highs and lows of that relationship, neither Diana nor Charles in the end would truly regret that they had ever been wed. The result of it was hard lessons in life but two remarkable young men entered the BRF through them.

My strongest memory of that day is my mother saying, after their vows, "Well, now they are a family." My mom has always been of the opinion that a husband and wife are a family, with or without children, and I really remember looking at that through her eyes in that moment.

Later that day, I heard her oversay to my father "The family is going to use her. I wish NAP wasn't so enthralled."

Sigh. I love my mom.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Any fellow UK users over here who can kindly rip this special for us? It sounds amazing but only available to UK users. I'd recommend using stream transport
Charles & Diana Wedding - Friday, July 29 | STV Player

Here's my contribution. My Veoh account filled with not only the whole wedding but clips of interviews and look backs etc through the years. I have more but work and school keep getting in my way. I'll get the rest up eventually

http://www.veoh.com/users/kellyfan203
Old 07-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I was 8 years from being born when the wedding took place, but watching the tape of it when I was young was magical, made me believe in fairy tales, thought for the longest time Diana was Cinderella.
Two quotes from Diana: the Portrait:
Diana , Princess of Wales, to a friend, " Oh, we grow up on fairy tales, but then we grow up and are disapointed, when we learn they are not true." Boy was she right about that.
On a note left at KP when Diana died: " You were Cinderella at the ball, and now you are Sleeping Beauty."
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM

I was 8 when they got married and remember getting up super early with my mom to watch. I thought it was the most beautiful and romantic wedding. I thought she was just stunning and so radiant. It was the first time (aside from reports of their engagement) that I can recall being interested in the royals as people instead of historical figures.
I was tired all day from getting up so early, but I stayed glued to the TV all afternoon so that when a news report came on, I could see bits of the wedding again. Ah, the days before the internet!

I was ridiculously happy to be living in Europe this year, so I didn't have to get up early to watch William's wedding.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Aristocracy

thanks for write!!!

here another new!

30th Anniversary of Royal Wedding of Prince Charles | Facebook

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...09453614_n.jpg
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Aristocracy

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | TV Guide :: Charles And Diana: The Wedding Of The Century

Old 07-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Aristocracy

Charles and Diana: The Wedding of the Century (ITV 1 Friday 29 July 2011) - Memorable TV

Video: Charles and Diana: the Wedding of the Century, ITV1, preview - Telegraph

Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Aristocracy

When Princess Diana was Lady Di: A Look Back on the 30th Anniversary of Charles and Diana's Wedding - The Morton Report

Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Aristocracy

I FOUND THIS INCREDIBLE VIDEO!!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nata8904 View Post
Thanks for the video
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent

When I first saw Diana's gown thirty years ago I was sooo disappointed...I hated it!

But now, thirty years on? I see it differently. It looks sumptuous and radiant, and the things I found such a letdown then like the wrinkles, the fit, and Diana's flat hair...I don't really notice now.

So strange.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Aristocracy

here another great video

Celebrity News and Celebrity Gossip from Us Weekly - UsMagazine.com

Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
When I first saw Diana's gown thirty years ago I was sooo disappointed...I hated it!

But now, thirty years on? I see it differently. It looks sumptuous and radiant, and the things I found such a letdown then like the wrinkles, the fit, and Diana's flat hair...I don't really notice now.

So strange.
I thought her hair was supposed to be that way. Was her stylist trying to do a certain hairstyle?

I thought Diana's dress matched that specific event and time. When she got older I read Diana viewed her dress differently. I guess she was out of the fairy tale stage.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I've seen a quote recently from someone involved with getting her ready for the wedding, perhaps her hair dresser, who said that her tiara slipped after the front part of the veil was taken off. I had noticed that her bangs (fringe) was over her eyes more by the time she left the cathedral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I thought her hair was supposed to be that way. Was her stylist trying to do a certain hairstyle?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Exactly Mermaid...the bangs appeared to be hanging over her eyes...and to me they looked rather flat, like they had been affected by too much hair product or humidity.

The only thing that was an unqualified success was her make-up, which was flawless and perfect.

It capitalized on Diana's own natural beauty.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I've seen a quote recently from someone involved with getting her ready for the wedding, perhaps her hair dresser, who said that her tiara slipped after the front part of the veil was taken off. I had noticed that her bangs (fringe) was over her eyes more by the time she left the cathedral.
Also, Diana resisted the use of too much setting lotion (this was before mousse, LOL) and hairspray as she did not want her hair to look stiff at all. Kevin Shanley, who did her hair that morning, warned Lady Diana that it would not hold with the weight of the tiara and that if he followed her instructions, it would flatten.

Well, we sure saw he was correct and this was one time Lady Diana should not have followed her instincts. Personally, I think it already looked pretty flat by the time she was at the top of the stairs of St. Paul's, and it just got worse from there. I never understood, however, why they did not redo it before the formal photographs were taken at BP. In some of them, there's a thick strand of hair sticking out of the back like hay! And these are close-ups of the new Princess! I've seen candid shots showing Barbara Daly, her makeup artist doing touch ups before the formal pics, but never saw Shanley touching her hair at that point.

After her death, when he finally spoke to the media (and this was a few years after her death, BTW) Shanley maintained her hair under her veil was supposed to look very much as it did after he fixed it when she changed into her famous cantaloupe going-away suit with that dashing ostrich-feathered hat. Too bad she made him hold off with the holding products; her hair would have looked amazing at the wedding if it had been very similar to the afternoon style. (On a lighter note, maybe this is why Diana kept her hair so thickly sprayed during the eighties . I always smile when I remember how regular Pantene hairspray from Boots remained her favourite until the day she died.)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Hair needs natural oil to support a tiara. She should not have shampooed her hair the day of the wedding. At least that is what my mother and grandmother always said about wearing a tiara....dont wash your hair, have a maid who knows how to put it on properly,apply lots of hair lacquer (but cover tiara when applying it), then take 2 aspirin and have a glass of champagne before leaving the house.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Hair needs natural oil to support a tiara. She should not have shampooed her hair the day of the wedding. At least that is what my mother and grandmother always said about wearing a tiara....dont wash your hair, have a maid who knows how to put it on properly,apply lots of hair lacquer (but cover tiara when applying it), then take 2 aspirin and have a glass of champagne before leaving the house.
Not just that, but IIRC, Diana said that inside the Glass Coach, the temperature kept climbing so she was perspiring and that the effect of that also flattened her hair.

I remember also that she warned Sarah Ferguson about the heat in the Glass Coach, as she used it as well.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
Not just that, but IIRC, Diana said that inside the Glass Coach, the temperature kept climbing so she was perspiring and that the effect of that also flattened her hair.

I remember also that she warned Sarah Ferguson about the heat in the Glass Coach, as she used it as well.
I had forgotten about that; thanks for reminding me! I believe that is very true. If one looks at the newsreels and/or photos of Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon in that same coach both to and from Westminster Abbey, she has the windows well open! And this was April in London, not the warmest of cities at that time of year. Since Diana was married in July, on an unusually hot day, but had to keep the windows closed for security purposes (I read that somewhere and it makes sense.) - it must have been stifling in that coach. Plus it's a much longer ride to St. Paul's than it is to the Abbey. Diana really needed to have allowed Kevin Shanley to use the products he needed to get her hair through that day in a nice style.

Typical of Diana to think of it and warn Sarah, who also married in July. The Princess was almost always thoughtful and caring of others' comfort, especially in a nerve-racking situation such as being the bride in a Royal Wedding! I believe she also advised Sarah to choose a heavy material for her wedding gown to avoid the contretemps with creases that Diana initially had with her gown.

Tags
prince charles, princess diana