Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USCtrojan

Royal Highness
City
Phoenix
Country
United States
Post here about Charles and Diana and thier marriage with info and photos!

Diana was a wonderful Princess of Wales, irreplaceable and precious, however there's no way I'll ever believe she really loved Prince Charles.

Ever hear of the saying, 'You protest too much my dear'? Well, Prince Charles protested his lack of love too much and Diana insisted on her undying love too much, and there may have more truth in the reverse than anyone suspects.

If Charles was not Prince of Wales, would Diana have ever been interested in him? In real life, has anyone ever seen anyone like Diana marrying a common man like Charles, with the exception of Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovitt of course? Charles is really too geeky and prissy to inspire such undying passion.

So I believe Diana was in love with the idea of marrying the Prince of Wales, she was in love with the idea of being the Princess of Wales, she was in love with the idea of the Prince of Wales being in love with her, she was in love with the idea of being the queen of hearts, cherished and beloved by all. And she deserved all of that, but not because she had a deep and profound love for Charles.

Hi Lala,

Since I was 14 or 15 (I'm 23 now) Diana became my inspiration.
I read everything about her, saw many pictures, taped the BBC interview and replayed it many, many times...
I was devastated when I heard the news of her death and for days couldn't believe it - my great inspiration I always hoped to meet some day in some way...

I viewed her as the victim - the sweet romantic, innocent girl who happened to fall in love with a rather stiff person. I still to this day believe her intentions were innocent and she was naive. You know it if you look at her and see her talk.
But, Lala, you have hit the nail with some of your observations I have to say. I have come to believe some things in the course of the years too...
As I got older I have also come to believe she lacked a certain father figure in her life. Charles was definitely much older and she once said she had so many dreams as a young girl; she thought she would mary a man who would support her and be like a father to her. I recognize that.
But she also said that at thirteen she told her father she would mary someone in the public eye, an important man. And she wanted to keep herself to herself for what was to come.
So I do think she was very flattered by the fact Charles was a future king. Definitely. This girl was obviously waiting for someone very special to come along.

I have also become a bit sceptical for some reason if she was really in love with Charles... Maybe she thought she was. i mean he was a lot older and not quite a catch for such a young beautiful lively fun girl. He was a TOTALLY different person than she was and I doubt they ever had anything in common except for some superficial interests.

I have come to think it's just too easy to see Charles as the bad man and Diana as the sweet innocent girl. I mean her way of acting the victim she really placed Charles in a position he just couldn't fight. Because in the end; who do you believe?

Don't take me wrong; there's absolutely no excuse for Charles' behavior, his open (to Diana) affair with Camilla, the cold way he treated Diana when she cut herself etc. I really believe it placed Diana in a terrible and hopeless position.
But I also don't approve of her affairs. If you're a truly honest person you don't have an affair within a marriage EVEN IF you husband does. If you are an honest person you devorce your husband BEFORE you take someone else.
And I think she should have done this... I mean... why the hell did she stay married to Charles for almost FIFTEEN YEARS when she knew almost from the start (even before her wedding!!!) he loved someon else?
Was she too flattered in her position as loved princess?
No matter how tough a divorce would have been, even at an early stage within the marriage, she should have opted for this. I mean it was soon clear to her he didn't really care about Diana and loved someone else. You're crazy to stay married to someone for such a long time if you know this. You're just hurting yourself.

Also, take a look at this link; it is the 11 minute engagement interview from 1981 of Diana and Charles. Do you notice how much he is avoiding answering questions about if they are in love etc? It is obvious he isn't honest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2516759.stm

I love Diana and she will always be a personal inspiration. She was sweet and caring. And her intentions were good. that I will always believe no matter what...

Marina

If he didn't say he was in love then he *was* being honest, no?

I mean it isn't honest of him to mary someone he doesn't really love, and she believe he loved her.

im interest of Princess Diana when she died in 1997 but i wanted to remind of her but i never met her before! they later i went to England to met Prince Charles at Prince's trust but i shake Prince Charles but im wishes i would met Princess Diana sometimes! but he nice man my mom said Prince Charles very sweet man.

Sara Boyce

I don't know if anybody else on here watched it, but last night BBCAmerica replayed a special with Alistair Cooke commenting on the 1981 wedding. It showed a good deal of the pre-ceremony, the ceremony with vows and the after-ceremony. It's hard to believe she was only 19 and it's hard to believe that she's not alive anymore. She looked like she couldn't believe that it was actually happening. Watching the Prince, you wonder what he was thinking - why am I marrying a child? Why didn't I marry Camilla Shand?

I was nine years old when the wedding happened and I remember my mother waking me up really early to watch the wedding. At the time, I had absolutely no knowledge or interest in the royals. I was hooked. I remember it was an all-day affair on television.

Originally posted by American Chai@Jun 27th, 2004 - 8:52 pm
I don't know if anybody else on here watched it, but last night BBCAmerica replayed a special with Alistair Cooke commenting on the 1981 wedding. It showed a good deal of the pre-ceremony, the ceremony with vows and the after-ceremony. It's hard to believe she was only 19 and it's hard to believe that she's not alive anymore. She looked like she couldn't believe that it was actually happening. Watching the Prince, you wonder what he was thinking - why am I marrying a child? Why didn't I marry Camilla Shand?

I was nine years old when the wedding happened and I remember my mother waking me up really early to watch the wedding. At the time, I had absolutely no knowledge or interest in the royals. I was hooked. I remember it was an all-day affair on television.
Yes i seen it. She seemed nervous with the mix-up of repeating Charles' full name when saying the vows. I just come to realize after watching how long the train on her dress actually were. To me, the bottom of the dress was wrinkled, but still looked nice at the moment I would guess. Anyway it was very sad and odd to see an event that opened a gate to a lot tragic things like their divorce and her death. Some how I thought while watching "don't do it Diana" but it's obviously too late :( the children in the wedding were adorable :)

just a warning, no, I have no connection to Mr. Barrell, but when you are so bad, like Camila, I do believe that God is watching you. Diana will haunt you at your bedtime, Camila... Also, I heard that maids were ridiculing and laughing at Diana when she vomited out of nervousness the earlier time of the marriage. Can you believe how evil they were? Laugh at the expense of PDiana`s misfortunte. those should be punished as well :angry: :angry: :angry:

Originally posted by marina18@Jun 2nd, 2004 - 10:11 am
And I think she should have done this... I mean... why the hell did she stay married to Charles for almost FIFTEEN YEARS when she knew almost from the start (even before her wedding!!!) he loved someon else?
Diana did not want to divorce Charles ( so people close to her have said), thats why they stayed married for that long. I believe that if it wasn't for The Queen stepping up and saying you all need to divorce, if not for your sake but for the children's sake, they would have stayed married, yet seperated, up until she died. Yes, they should have divorced earlier, but when you are in Charles' and Diana's positions, divorce was and is unthinkable (at least it seemed like it to them).

I am a big Diana fan and I also realize she was no saint. However, I truly believe that Charles was very deceitful.

Last edited:
In her lifetime I was never a big " Di fan" nor was I a detractor. I could see the good points in her but also her flaws. However it was clear to me that as a teenager she was deeply "in love" as far as girls of that age think they are in love with man of 32. Of course in some cases marraiges like this work (if the two parties are devoted to each other) but if that is not the case one would expect the elder party to nip it in the bud. Charles didn't do that, instead he mumbled on about "Whatever love is" and thus I believe was highly responsible for the breakdown of his marraige. Has this man ever been able to make an important decision to this day? Clearly not considering his ongoing dithering over the Camilla situation.

Prince Charles ever real princess have Diana loved? I doubt it! I believe of it nothing! Diana have loved Charles until its dead! I have read that in a book concerning its! I find Paul burrell the best butler and personal friend of princess Diana! He was its rock in the undertow, its confidant! He has just something seeing after he was accused of of robber stable whereas he the personal stuff ordinary had got of its boss, princess Diana!

can someone say there that prince Charles has ever loved Diana princess? Weet someone that? I ask it simply!I gladly would know that, then am possible I perhaps improve myself to feel! I am a real supporter of princess Diana, I have read everything from its verloving to now! now does nothing do them gossip then concerning its, bad solicit whereas they can defend no longer, why nevertheless do themselves people that?

As someone pointed out (correctly) Diana was very young, inexperienced, and naive when she married Prince Charles, and though I believe she did love him after a fashion, as she got older and matured more and realized what exactly being married to him would entail for her (mainly, that she would have to get used to Camilla), she felt trapped in a loveless -on Charles' part-marriage, which led to her affair with James Hewett. It was basically a mismatch from the start and I think the only good that came of it are William and Harry.:)

I think it to, that William and Harry the good things or in that marriage!
i have read that Prinscess Diana have loved Prince Charles till her died!

If Diana was not fall in love with Charles,she didn't care about Charles' love at all.
She just need to act the Princess well,go for shopping everyday or spent her vacation all over the world.why?

You can say what you want, but princess Diana new life in rigid United Kingdom has blown! She was a very good princess! They dared then people cuddle with AIDS then other people frightened were touch aidspatienten, frightened for contagion!

Jackswife said:
As someone pointed out (correctly) Diana was very young, inexperienced, and naive when she married Prince Charles, and though I believe she did love him after a fashion, as she got older and matured more and realized what exactly being married to him would entail for her (mainly, that she would have to get used to Camilla), she felt trapped in a loveless -on Charles' part-marriage, which led to her affair with James Hewett. It was basically a mismatch from the start and I think the only good that came of it are William and Harry.:)

I agree, I think most people can agree that Charles still had Camilla on the brain and poor Diana didn't know any better. It is a shame that things turned out the way they did. Diana would be doing a lot of good work.

It's hard to believe that it was 24 years ago today that the "fairytale" wedding of Charles and Diana took place. Of course, as we all know, there was anything but a fairytale ending. But, in spite of all the fighting, the tears, the ugly rumours, the affairs etc., there were some good times, as I hope these pictures show ...

Photo Source for these 3 posts: Rex features/Alpha/Photographers International/Syndication International/Tim Graham/Jayne Fincher

Attachments

• b1981 07.jpg
    b1981 07.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 781
  • c1981 08 01.jpg
    c1981 08 01.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 705
  • d1981 08.jpg
    d1981 08.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 784
  • e1981 09 04 Braemar.jpg
    e1981 09 04 Braemar.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 742
  • f1982 02 Windermere Island.jpg
    f1982 02 Windermere Island.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 18,029
  • g1982 04 03 Grand national.jpg
    g1982 04 03 Grand national.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 798
  • h1982 05 circa polo.jpg
    h1982 05 circa polo.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 761
  • a1981 05 22.jpg
    a1981 05 22.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 742
... and some more ...

Attachments

• m1983 05 Bahamas.jpg
    m1983 05 Bahamas.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,243
  • p1984 06 07 Polo.jpg
    p1984 06 07 Polo.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 697
  • o1983 06 12 a.jpg
    o1983 06 12 a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 892
  • n1983 05 bahamas.jpg
    n1983 05 bahamas.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,014
  • l1983 04 29 oz.jpg
    l1983 04 29 oz.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 890
  • k1982 Windsor Castle.jpg
    k1982 Windsor Castle.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,175
  • j1982 09 04 Braemar.jpg
    j1982 09 04 Braemar.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 823
  • i1982 06 15 polo.jpg
    i1982 06 15 polo.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 746
... and the last set ...

Attachments

• q1984 07 29 polo.jpg
    q1984 07 29 polo.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 892
  • r1985 05 02 italy.jpg
    r1985 05 02 italy.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 716
  • s1985 06 20 a.jpg
    s1985 06 20 a.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,018
  • t1985 10 28 oz.jpg
    t1985 10 28 oz.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 744
  • v1986 08 Spainish holiday f.jpg
    v1986 08 Spainish holiday f.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 781
  • w1987 07 11 circa.jpg
    w1987 07 11 circa.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 697
  • x1995 05 07.jpg
    x1995 05 07.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 909
  • u1986 06 04 Derby.jpg
    u1986 06 04 Derby.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 789
julial said:
just a warning, no, I have no connection to Mr. Barrell, but when you are so bad, like Camila, I do believe that God is watching you. Diana will haunt you at your bedtime, Camila... Also, I heard that maids were ridiculing and laughing at Diana when she vomited out of nervousness the earlier time of the marriage. Can you believe how evil they were? Laugh at the expense of PDiana`s misfortunte. those should be punished as well :angry: :angry: :angry:
Personally, if Diana was as kind and compassionate as everyone says she is, I don't think haunting, cursing and vengeance would be too high on her list lol! :)

Where did you read about the staff laughing at her when she was vomiting? When did it happen? That is very sad. :(

I love the photos, you have more?

Thank you for the photos.

I have been a big fan of Diana for a long time. In the last few years, however I read and watched many documentaries about Diana and I don't believe anymore that she was really this innocent young girl who was a victim of the royal family. I have believed for while that there was no love in the marriage since the very beginning, but now looking at the pictures above, I guess, I was wrong. It looks like that they were happy in the first years of the marriage. I am starting to believe more and more that all she did actually was a good theater.

I don’t blame her for the divorce. In any marriage that ends, it is always both sides fault.

I cry with this photo. William With mummy and daddy's hands in spain 1987. The end of the fairtale. Very very loverly wills.

Photo from ITN Stills archive.

Attachments

• matrimonio roto.JPG
    matrimonio roto.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:
I am glad to see happy pictures of Charles and Diana. I just hope that we all stop laying blame on one side or the other. There are always two sides to every story and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I'm about the same age Diana was when she married, and I just can't imagine how she coped with any of it! But I think it seems they were once very very happy, and it's such a shame things went the way they did.

Back
Top Bottom