The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When they were on their honeymoon, Charles also brought along some books. He thought they could read them and discuss them. That didn't go over too well I guess.
well I dont think that that was terrible behavour on C's part. He liked to read, he thought that while Diana was still rather young and hadnt' read much she was receptive to being "educated" and to joining in his interests, reading books that he liked. They had a long honeymoon,they were not likely to be making love ALL the time.. and I think he felt that this was a good time to get to know each other better, for her to get intot reading his favourite authors and discussing them.. and Diana WAS resistant to being educated, didn't care about reading anythng but her romance novels...

Old 07-17-2016, 04:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
As Diana mastered the art of royal public appearance, she began to upstage her husband. For every new speech he made, she would wear a different hairstyle or hat.

Like every other royal she wore new hats etc so everytime Kate wears a new hat shes upstaging Will ??!?!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well I dont think that that was terrible behavour on C's part. He liked to read, he thought that while Diana was still rather young and hadnt' read much she was receptive to being "educated" and to joining in his interests, reading books that he liked. They had a long honeymoon,they were not likely to be making love ALL the time.. and I think he felt that this was a good time to get to know each other better, for her to get intot reading his favourite authors and discussing them.. and Diana WAS resistant to being educated, didn't care about reading anythng but her romance novels...

Not many people get married to get educated usually other things to do on a honeymoon. Sums it up really doesn't it

Old 07-17-2016, 04:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Not many people get married to get educated usually other things to do on a honeymoon. Sums it up really doesn't it
The 'lets take this opportunity to read these books by my favourite philosopher so I can enjoy myself and you can be educated and enlightened and learn to share my interests' notion of Charles' was a good indicator of the huge gap between these two. They should never have married.

Quote:
Like every other royal she wore new hats etc so everytime Kate wears a new hat shes upstaging Will ??!?!
It's hardly the same sort of dynamic. No-one other than really keen fans of Kate really cares much what she wears, unless it's because she's flashing again. Further, I think that she is content with her lot and is keen on keeping things running smoothly on the home front, so she's not going to intentionally go out of her way to do something spectacular to draw attention away from William. However, if she suddenly started changing her image and appearance and getting smart new haircuts regularly and wearing a new style of high fashion, sophisticated clothing, and started making an effort to carve out a role for herself independent of her role as William's wife - particularly if she made a point of doing/wearing something of an attention-seeking nature at the same time as William was doing something he had planned and that was important to him - she would certainly attract the attention of the media and the public. Everyone would be engaged and wondering what would happen next in the royal reality show, which is what happened with Charles and Diana.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:15 AM
Nobility

The books were mostly Jung and Laurens Van Der Post, which might be the least erotic reading material imaginable. If had brought something more stimulating, like D H Lawrence or Shirley Conran that would have been fine - he could have at least have brought some Freud.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Charles enjoyed reading and learning new things, it's not bad of him to try and brig his wife into his interests. I've said before if he had paid attention to her school past he might have recognized they weren't good together.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Charles enjoyed reading and learning new things, it's not bad of him to try and brig his wife into his interests. I've said before if he had paid attention to her school past he might have recognized they weren't good together.
Yes, these basic incompatibilities should have been revealed before they married, if not before they were even engaged. I don't think they spent anywhere near enough time alone together in a relaxed and informal setting in order to get to know each other and their real likes and dislikes.

I imagine it is difficult to get to really know a beau you have to bow to and call "Your Royal Highness" and "Sir" instead of using their first name. She would surely have been a bit intimidated by his position and probably also the fact he was so much older than her. I suspect her main aim was to impress him rather than find out if they were truly compatible. He was the one in the stronger position and the onus was on him to make the necessary inquiries, but it seems he wasn't up to that task, or didn't care, assuming she was malleable and would adapt to him.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

In their position it probably never was an option, but had they gone together on a vacation prior to their marriage (and without their usual entourage) they probably would have noticed their differences right away
Old 07-17-2016, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, if Diana had spent a longer time at Birkhall or even at Sandringham for example, with some of her friends and some of Charles's in the house party it would have brought things into clearer focus, I think. About ten days together at each would have done it.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, if Diana had spent a longer time at Birkhall or even at Sandringham for example, with some of her friends and some of Charles's in the house party it would have brought things into clearer focus, I think. About ten days together at each would have done it.
Or 5 if they had gone camping outdoors
Old 07-17-2016, 09:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It's hardly the same sort of dynamic. No-one other than really keen fans of Kate really cares much what she wears, unless it's because she's flashing again. Further, I think that she is content with her lot and is keen on keeping things running smoothly on the home front, so she's not going to intentionally go out of her way to do something spectacular to draw attention away from William. However, if she suddenly started changing her image and appearance and getting smart new haircuts regularly and wearing a new style of high fashion, sophisticated clothing, and started making an effort to carve out a role for herself independent of her role as William's wife - particularly if she made a point of doing/wearing something of an attention-seeking nature at the same time as William was doing something he had planned and that was important to him - she would certainly attract the attention of the media and the public. Everyone would be engaged and wondering what would happen next in the royal reality show, which is what happened with Charles and Diana.

Diana had short hair and almost the same style all the time. Kate has more styles up down etc she cut some bangs and twitter went into melt down. Same as her dresses hats or whatever. Bad girl Diana getting a "smart new hair do" when Charles was making a speech. Ha ha ha

Old 07-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
As Diana mastered the art of royal public appearance, she began to upstage her husband. For every new speech he made, she would wear a different hairstyle or hat.
The choice of hairstyle and accessories chosen by Diana would have little to do with the difficulties she and Charles faced within their marriage. Media interest could have had an impact on their relationship if they had allowed it by, say, spending all their days reading every report and analysing every photograph instead of ironing out their differences and trying to build their relationship with mutual trust and understanding.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I dont think so. They both wanted to marry, and were fixated on that, for different reasons. I think that even if they'd spent motnhs together, they woudl still have ignored warning signs that they had littlte in common...

Quote:
Diana had short hair and almost the same style all the time. Kate has more styles up down etc she cut some bangs and twitter went into melt down. Same as her dresses hats or whatever. Bad girl Diana getting a "smart new hair do" when Charles was making a speech. Ha ha ha

She didn't upstage Charles with hairdoes, but she did put her hair up, when she was attending parliament with the queen which was seen as a blunder. Her upstaging Chrles took place later in the marriage when she had learned to play the media better. She scheduled appearances to clash with his, and take away from his press attention. She turned her head when he tried to kiss her. She was photographed with the kids when he was doing a dull engagement..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
The books were mostly Jung and Laurens Van Der Post, which might be the least erotic reading material imaginable. If had brought something more stimulating, like D H Lawrence or Shirley Conran that would have been fine - he could have at least have brought some Freud.
how much erotic stuff can you do on honeymoon? He thougth That she was more receptive to learning than she really was. She had probably given him the impression that she was hanging on his every word, wanting to learn more, and he thought that when they had several weeks togehter, this was a good time to start reading. They had a long honeymoon for goodness sake..
They had 3 weeks on Brittania, adn several weeks in Balmoral..
Old 07-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Nobility

I dunno but the choice of reading material certainly did not help
Old 07-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Uh...I can't imagine an honeymoon where the groom and I discussed heavy stuff like Jung and I like 'heavy stuff for discusion'.....she was barely 20....and not exactly a scholar! I would of thought for a man in his early 30's having a attractive bride, traveling around, would have kept him engaged enough anyway.

LaRae
Old 07-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Jeeze you can't have sex 24/7 for 5 weeks, eventually you have to talk to each other. I don't see this as Charles trying to educate her I see it as him wanting to share his interests with her.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-17-2016, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She didn't upstage Charles with hairdoes, but she did put her hair up, when she was attending parliament with the queen which was seen as a blunder. Her upstaging Chrles took place later in the marriage when she had learned to play the media better. She scheduled appearances to clash with his, and take away from his press attention. She turned her head when he tried to kiss her. She was photographed with the kids when he was doing a dull engagement..
The media is what made a big deal about Diana's hairdo during the opening of parliament. The Queen didn't care about it.

I think it's totally unfair for people to punish Diana, because she was a young and attractive woman. She couldn't control that. What the media did to her is pretty much the same thing the media is doing to today's young princesses. It's only that today's princesses have husbands that don't mind the media's interest in their glamorous wives.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Or Queens. It was said that a crowd of photographers were once baying for Maxima as she and King Willem-Alexander were leaving a building after an engagement. The King left ahead of his wife, but just laughed. "Here you are, gentlemen," he said. "Here she is!" as she appeared behind him. And Maxima is known to have enjoyed tremendous popularity in the Netherlands since her marriage. There was none of that with Charles, though, he was just a very insecure character and his reaction to the media and crowds loving his wife proved it.

The incident of Diana turning her head away from Charles's kiss occured at a prize giving at Jaipur after a polo match on the tour of India in 1992.

Dickie Arbiter, the Wales's Press Officer could remember the Prince remaining adamant a little while before that he would not be joining Diana to see the Taj Mahal, as he wanted to attend a conference in Bangalore instead.

By now the couple very much disliked being in each other's company and he probably felt the photo op at such an iconic symbol would be hypocritical. According to Arbiter he somewhat regretted his decision afterwards.

Diana didn't want to give out the prizes at a polo match at which Charles was competing when the couple were together again in the city of Jaipur but was persuaded to. Charles's team won and up he trotted to get the cup.

He didn't kiss her when Diana handed it over but then realised the PR mistake and turned back to do so. Whereupon Diana, probably sick and tired of the whole charade, turned her head.

The media got their picture but apparently Charles and his entourage were furious that Diana wasn't 'playing the game'.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Nobility

Agreed, even William is proud of Catherine. To be fair Charles wasn't expecting Diana to become Princess Superstar when he married her and he was pleased initially with her popularity. The later jealousy was part of a broader mid-life crisis for Charles, as it was dawning on him that it was going to be a long time until he became king and was trying to make a role for himself in the meantime with his causes, but was receiving negative reactions for it. Tina Brown makes the point that Charles began to get more outrageous with his public utterances at this time (for example, the Monstrous Carbuncle speech) to compete against Diana in the press.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Jeeze you can't have sex 24/7 for 5 weeks, eventually you have to talk to each other. I don't see this as Charles trying to educate her I see it as him wanting to share his interests with her.
No one said they should...however they could go do things together as well...it's always sounded to me like he was off doing whatever (reading etc) while she was socializing with the staff and service members on the boat (during that phase)...not a normal way to spend a honeymoon.

It does appear that during the Balmoral part of the honeymoon they spent time together around the estate.

LaRae

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana