The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1781  
Old 07-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, I think Andrew, who can be a bit boisterous himself, preferred women who were life and soul of the party types. Diana could be quite witty and jokey but I don't believe she ever thought of Andrew as a prospective partner or he her.
Certanly not his type. I think she did like to join in Fergie's roistering at times but she was only mildly "into that." She liked pranks and silly stuff, but she wasn't as boisterous as Fergie. She was prone to depression and sadness, and not as able to "bounce around" out of it as Sarah was. I think that Andy probalby mildly liked Diana but probably found her too serious.
and I dont believe that Di woudl have fallen in love with Andy if she had a hope of Charles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
I never said my idea was a good one.
but you said she and Andy seemed better suited. Of course she wasn't suited to Chas, but A was TOO much of a heart Hooray Henry. I suspect what she needed was someone who wasn't too clever, shared her interests but wasn't into "makng the world better" (when she was 19 or so).. but had a calm temperament and common sense.. who could be indulgent and affectionate but not let Diana's dramatic emotions get out of hand
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1782  
Old 07-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,676
Actually, if I'm remembering right, one of Sarah's complaints was that when Andrew was home, all he wanted to do is be a couch potato with the TV and video games on. Seems like the total opposite from Charles who is the type of person that's always doing something and takes walks to relax.

To be honest, I don't think there's any type of man out there that would fit the bill of what Diana wanted and needed other than in fairy tales and romance novels.
__________________

__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #1783  
Old 07-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
I think she'd have been happier with one fo the men that She was friendly with, as Ken Wharfe called them "Dianamen" because they were very similar types, in looks and personality. Good looking, not too bright, able to chat brightly, not someone who was always itching to "do something clever", or change the world... I think at 20 or so, that scared her. She didn't understand it and she resented the time that such a man would spend away from her and "heavy discussion" scared her and made her feel her intellectual inferiority.. and lack of education.
But I think as she matured, she DID appreciate Charles's "wanting to do something to help" more, and wanted a husband/boyfriend who had a serious interest like Hasnat Khan. But she did want a lot of attention for herself, I agree. However I think that was partly because she had had many years of a bad marriage, feeling isolated and lonely, and the scars had become part of her personality.. so maybe by her 30s, it was hard to find a man who would suit her, and make her happy without a need for help and therapy to get over some of her issues.
but she was a rich woman, with rich friends so any man she met was likely to be abel to devote a fair bit of time to being with her, to family life etc...
Reply With Quote
  #1784  
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Andrew and Fergie were well suited in personality....they just had other issues. Can't imagine Diana meshing with Andrew, too different in a different way.


LaRae
I assume Andrew wouldn't have been able to coddle Diana the way she needed and to be constantly praised especially considering he was often at sea.
This is just something I wonder but do you think it says something about Diana that she bypassed Andrew and went right for the higher ranking son despite the fact that she and Andrew were the same age?
Was it rank or more to do that Andrew at 19 or 20 was probably too immature for even Diana?
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #1785  
Old 07-08-2016, 08:04 PM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 373
Nobody said Diana had to marry at 20
Reply With Quote
  #1786  
Old 07-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,067
Diana wanted to be loved and feel secure. She thought she was marrying the 'only man in England who can't divorce me' (she is quoted as saying)....Charles represented security, status and how exciting...to be the future Queen....think of all the positive attention (doubt she ever factored in the other side of things).


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #1787  
Old 07-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Diana wanted to be loved and feel secure. She thought she was marrying the 'only man in England who can't divorce me' (she is quoted as saying)....Ch


LaRae
true, i think that his "not being able to divorce" and being some years older appealed to her because she was afraid of finding love and then losing it. She wanted an older man to look after her..but fi you are goign to marry a royal, I think anyway, you're going ot give up a lot of privacy etc, so you might as well go for the guy in the top job, where teh compensations for the various drawbacks are better. And Im sure even at 19 or 20, she would have found Andrw annoyingly immature...
Reply With Quote
  #1788  
Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 PM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 373
I admit I am wrong and now to your superior wisdom :)
Reply With Quote
  #1789  
Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
Nobody said Diana had to marry at 20
If she wanted to marry Charles, yes, she needed to be only about 20 or so. If she had been involved wtih Andrew he was only the same age as her so he wasn't likely to be getting married at 20 or so.. by the time he DID get married, it was ok for Sarah to have had previous affairs, because it was the mid 80s...so she and he were the same age.
but I think that Diana wanted to marry early, she had no career plans and wanted to be a wife and mother and to achieve a socially prominent marriage was her only way of "making herself known" to the world...
Reply With Quote
  #1790  
Old 07-11-2016, 02:47 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
Indeed one of the reasons I always liked Diana was her willingness to tell Charles what he needed to hear not what he wanted to hear
Did she? I think she shouted at him during rows and could be very brutal in what she said, but thats' not "tellling someone what they need to hear", its just bad communication.. yelling in an emotional state usually means you are saying things better left unsaid, or things that are not what you really mean but you say them because you are angry and stressed.
Reply With Quote
  #1791  
Old 07-11-2016, 04:01 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,906
You think she shouted really how do you know this ??


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #1792  
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 373
The shouting was often the result of feeling dismissed and undermined. Charles sometimes started the arguments, usually when his manhood was feeling bruised for one reason or another...
Reply With Quote
  #1793  
Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,940
I'm not quite sure how anyone would know exactly how an argument started or who started it or indeed what such argument would be about other than the couple themselves - all else is hearsay and speculation, which we be avoiding.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #1794  
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,676
Actually there were some really slam banging fights that were pretty loud according to an eyewitness in Charles and Diana's housekeeper, Wendy Berry, in "The Housekeeper's Diary". She was housekeeper at Highgrove until the separation.

I tend to really give this book a lot of credibility as Berry writes with a matter of fact way of stating that's the way it was. No taking sides, no finger pointing but just observations. To add to the credibility, the photos that are included in the book are her own personal ones.

Just as a teaser, there is one incident in the early years that really, really cracks me up. Imagine the Prince and Princess of Wales getting it on very hot and heavy (not fighting!) and Diana hitting the panic button with her foot without realizing it and all of a sudden, have the entire protection force bursting through the door. Whooops!!
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #1795  
Old 07-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
You think she shouted really how do you know this ??


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
certainly there are stories of her yelling at him, in front of guests...and ther'es not a married couple alive who dont yell at each ohter at times...
Reply With Quote
  #1796  
Old 07-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
certainly there are stories of her yelling at him, in front of guests...and ther'es not a married couple alive who dont yell at each ohter at times...
I resemble that remark.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #1797  
Old 07-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually there were some really slam banging fights that were pretty loud according to an eyewitness in Charles and Diana's housekeeper, Wendy Berry, in "The Housekeeper's Diary". She was housekeeper at Highgrove until the separation.

I bursting through the door. Whooops!!
I haven't read this book but other reports refer to yelling and rows, of Diana chasing after Charles in her car to continue an argument and her yelling 4 letter words at him in front of guests...I beleive (can't remember where I read it) that even in the early days, an aide told people meeting them that if C and Di started to argue, to just ignore it.
Im sure both were at fault, but I doubt if Charles was the instigator all that often,.I think that like a lot of men, he wanted a quiet life and dreaded a row starting..and if it did, he tried ot scoot away....
Reply With Quote
  #1798  
Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I haven't read this book but other reports refer to yelling and rows, of Diana chasing after Charles in her car to continue an argument and her yelling 4 letter words at him in front of guests...I beleive (can't remember where I read it) that even in the early days, an aide told people meeting them that if C and Di started to argue, to just ignore it.
Im sure both were at fault, but I doubt if Charles was the instigator all that often,.I think that like a lot of men, he wanted a quiet life and dreaded a row starting..and if it did, he tried ot scoot away....
From experience, for anyone in the middle of a white hot, flaming fight, for the opposing party to calmly walk away just adds a 10 megaton H-bomb to the mix.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #1799  
Old 07-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
That's the impression that I have had of their marriage, in the ealry days, that perhaps charles was not used to people arguing with him.. After all his friends and girlfriends problaby would not do it too much and I dont think that his blood relatives are the shouting type...
But now he had a wife who was on a footing with him and Diana was hot tempered and ready to argue.. and he was a bit taken aback. But that's why I doubt if he was the one to instigate most of hte rows. And I beleive journalists or staff did see Di chasing after him in her car, when they were farily newly married, at somewhere like Balmoral, to continue a row..
Reply With Quote
  #1800  
Old 07-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm not quite sure how anyone would know exactly how an argument started or who started it or indeed what such argument would be about other than the couple themselves - all else is hearsay and speculation, which we be avoiding.

Exactly Jacknch pity people just kept on with the speculation


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charles and Diana Picture Thread Josefine Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 434 08-12-2015 06:00 PM
Charles and Diana: Visit to Italy - 1985 jun5 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 57 09-02-2012 10:35 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary's work for women's rights crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style jubilee kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament oscars picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania daytime fashion royal fashion september 2016 sheikha mozah's fashion state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises