The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, I think Andrew, who can be a bit boisterous himself, preferred women who were life and soul of the party types. Diana could be quite witty and jokey but I don't believe she ever thought of Andrew as a prospective partner or he her.
Certanly not his type. I think she did like to join in Fergie's roistering at times but she was only mildly "into that." She liked pranks and silly stuff, but she wasn't as boisterous as Fergie. She was prone to depression and sadness, and not as able to "bounce around" out of it as Sarah was. I think that Andy probalby mildly liked Diana but probably found her too serious.
and I dont believe that Di woudl have fallen in love with Andy if she had a hope of Charles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
I never said my idea was a good one.
but you said she and Andy seemed better suited. Of course she wasn't suited to Chas, but A was TOO much of a heart Hooray Henry. I suspect what she needed was someone who wasn't too clever, shared her interests but wasn't into "makng the world better" (when she was 19 or so).. but had a calm temperament and common sense.. who could be indulgent and affectionate but not let Diana's dramatic emotions get out of hand

Old 07-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, if I'm remembering right, one of Sarah's complaints was that when Andrew was home, all he wanted to do is be a couch potato with the TV and video games on. Seems like the total opposite from Charles who is the type of person that's always doing something and takes walks to relax.

To be honest, I don't think there's any type of man out there that would fit the bill of what Diana wanted and needed other than in fairy tales and romance novels.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

I think she'd have been happier with one fo the men that She was friendly with, as Ken Wharfe called them "Dianamen" because they were very similar types, in looks and personality. Good looking, not too bright, able to chat brightly, not someone who was always itching to "do something clever", or change the world... I think at 20 or so, that scared her. She didn't understand it and she resented the time that such a man would spend away from her and "heavy discussion" scared her and made her feel her intellectual inferiority.. and lack of education.
But I think as she matured, she DID appreciate Charles's "wanting to do something to help" more, and wanted a husband/boyfriend who had a serious interest like Hasnat Khan. But she did want a lot of attention for herself, I agree. However I think that was partly because she had had many years of a bad marriage, feeling isolated and lonely, and the scars had become part of her personality.. so maybe by her 30s, it was hard to find a man who would suit her, and make her happy without a need for help and therapy to get over some of her issues.
but she was a rich woman, with rich friends so any man she met was likely to be abel to devote a fair bit of time to being with her, to family life etc...
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Andrew and Fergie were well suited in personality....they just had other issues. Can't imagine Diana meshing with Andrew, too different in a different way.

LaRae
I assume Andrew wouldn't have been able to coddle Diana the way she needed and to be constantly praised especially considering he was often at sea.
This is just something I wonder but do you think it says something about Diana that she bypassed Andrew and went right for the higher ranking son despite the fact that she and Andrew were the same age?
Was it rank or more to do that Andrew at 19 or 20 was probably too immature for even Diana?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Nobility

Nobody said Diana had to marry at 20
Old 07-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana wanted to be loved and feel secure. She thought she was marrying the 'only man in England who can't divorce me' (she is quoted as saying)....Charles represented security, status and how exciting...to be the future Queen....think of all the positive attention (doubt she ever factored in the other side of things).

LaRae
Old 07-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Diana wanted to be loved and feel secure. She thought she was marrying the 'only man in England who can't divorce me' (she is quoted as saying)....Ch

LaRae
true, i think that his "not being able to divorce" and being some years older appealed to her because she was afraid of finding love and then losing it. She wanted an older man to look after her..but fi you are goign to marry a royal, I think anyway, you're going ot give up a lot of privacy etc, so you might as well go for the guy in the top job, where teh compensations for the various drawbacks are better. And Im sure even at 19 or 20, she would have found Andrw annoyingly immature...
Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Nobility

I admit I am wrong and now to your superior wisdom :)
Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Nobody said Diana had to marry at 20
If she wanted to marry Charles, yes, she needed to be only about 20 or so. If she had been involved wtih Andrew he was only the same age as her so he wasn't likely to be getting married at 20 or so.. by the time he DID get married, it was ok for Sarah to have had previous affairs, because it was the mid 80s...so she and he were the same age.
but I think that Diana wanted to marry early, she had no career plans and wanted to be a wife and mother and to achieve a socially prominent marriage was her only way of "making herself known" to the world...
Old 07-11-2016, 02:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Indeed one of the reasons I always liked Diana was her willingness to tell Charles what he needed to hear not what he wanted to hear
Did she? I think she shouted at him during rows and could be very brutal in what she said, but thats' not "tellling someone what they need to hear", its just bad communication.. yelling in an emotional state usually means you are saying things better left unsaid, or things that are not what you really mean but you say them because you are angry and stressed.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:01 AM
Royal Highness

You think she shouted really how do you know this ??

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 AM
Nobility

The shouting was often the result of feeling dismissed and undermined. Charles sometimes started the arguments, usually when his manhood was feeling bruised for one reason or another...
Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not quite sure how anyone would know exactly how an argument started or who started it or indeed what such argument would be about other than the couple themselves - all else is hearsay and speculation, which we be avoiding.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Actually there were some really slam banging fights that were pretty loud according to an eyewitness in Charles and Diana's housekeeper, Wendy Berry, in "The Housekeeper's Diary". She was housekeeper at Highgrove until the separation.

I tend to really give this book a lot of credibility as Berry writes with a matter of fact way of stating that's the way it was. No taking sides, no finger pointing but just observations. To add to the credibility, the photos that are included in the book are her own personal ones.

Just as a teaser, there is one incident in the early years that really, really cracks me up. Imagine the Prince and Princess of Wales getting it on very hot and heavy (not fighting!) and Diana hitting the panic button with her foot without realizing it and all of a sudden, have the entire protection force bursting through the door. Whooops!!
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
You think she shouted really how do you know this ??

certainly there are stories of her yelling at him, in front of guests...and ther'es not a married couple alive who dont yell at each ohter at times...
Old 07-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
certainly there are stories of her yelling at him, in front of guests...and ther'es not a married couple alive who dont yell at each ohter at times...
I resemble that remark.
― John Lennon
Old 07-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually there were some really slam banging fights that were pretty loud according to an eyewitness in Charles and Diana's housekeeper, Wendy Berry, in "The Housekeeper's Diary". She was housekeeper at Highgrove until the separation.

I bursting through the door. Whooops!!
I haven't read this book but other reports refer to yelling and rows, of Diana chasing after Charles in her car to continue an argument and her yelling 4 letter words at him in front of guests...I beleive (can't remember where I read it) that even in the early days, an aide told people meeting them that if C and Di started to argue, to just ignore it.
Im sure both were at fault, but I doubt if Charles was the instigator all that often,.I think that like a lot of men, he wanted a quiet life and dreaded a row starting..and if it did, he tried ot scoot away....
Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I haven't read this book but other reports refer to yelling and rows, of Diana chasing after Charles in her car to continue an argument and her yelling 4 letter words at him in front of guests...I beleive (can't remember where I read it) that even in the early days, an aide told people meeting them that if C and Di started to argue, to just ignore it.
Im sure both were at fault, but I doubt if Charles was the instigator all that often,.I think that like a lot of men, he wanted a quiet life and dreaded a row starting..and if it did, he tried ot scoot away....
From experience, for anyone in the middle of a white hot, flaming fight, for the opposing party to calmly walk away just adds a 10 megaton H-bomb to the mix.
― John Lennon
Old 07-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

That's the impression that I have had of their marriage, in the ealry days, that perhaps charles was not used to people arguing with him.. After all his friends and girlfriends problaby would not do it too much and I dont think that his blood relatives are the shouting type...
But now he had a wife who was on a footing with him and Diana was hot tempered and ready to argue.. and he was a bit taken aback. But that's why I doubt if he was the one to instigate most of hte rows. And I beleive journalists or staff did see Di chasing after him in her car, when they were farily newly married, at somewhere like Balmoral, to continue a row..
Old 07-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm not quite sure how anyone would know exactly how an argument started or who started it or indeed what such argument would be about other than the couple themselves - all else is hearsay and speculation, which we be avoiding.

Exactly Jacknch pity people just kept on with the speculation

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana