The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

It is just a matter of opinions. You have no problem to see The Princess of Wales publicly dancing on a stage. Others maybe say: Heu... ma'am, you better keep it indoors if we may advise you... It is just the expectation one has from a Princess of Wales, a future Queen.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is just a matter of opinions. You have no problem to see The Princess of Wales publicly dancing on a stage. Others maybe say: Heu... ma'am, you better keep it indoors if we may advise you... It is just the expectation one has from a Princess of Wales, a future Queen.

It was dancing not a striptease or pole dancing. No dancing sounds like a Mormon belief not Church of England. I've seen some lovely video of the Queen dancing. But your right you can believe whatever you want doesn't mean your are right

Old 06-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

I cant' imagine why anyone would criticise her for dancing, she didn't wear a tutu, she was a very popular turn at the show.... Anyone would think that she had been pole dancing...
Old 06-22-2016, 03:38 PM
Majesty

People enjoyed seeing Charles and Diana dancing together. Perhaps that was part of the problem. It was Diana dancing with another man, which is an angle that just occurred to me now. Plus, I believe that it was jazz dancing, which can be quite sexy.

I agree with your point about Diana being the Princess of Wales. I don't think that she considered the repercussions of her "gift."

Quote:
Others maybe say: Heu... ma'am, you better keep it indoors if we may advise you... It is just the expectation one has from a Princess of Wales, a future Queen.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Royal Highness

There was nothing remotely wrong about this routine : it was cute and lighthearted. The only problem was she was HRH the Princess of wales and she was not supposed to do that. period.
I'm not sure if Charles went ballistic, but i guess he was embarrassed ... for her. Knowing the press and all, to expose yourself like this (even with the best intentions in the world) was maybe not the better move for a woman of her status. It was ok and fun for the 20 young girl Diana, but not, again, for HRH the Princess of Wales.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
People enjoyed seeing Charles and Diana dancing together. Perhaps that was part of the problem. It was Diana dancing with another man, which is an angle that just occurred to me now. Plus, I believe that it was jazz dancing, which can be quite sexy.

I agree with your point about Diana being the Princess of Wales. I don't think that she considered the repercussions of her "gift."

Oh no the evil jazz ! Pass the smelling salts

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It was dancing not a striptease or pole dancing. No dancing sounds like a Mormon belief not Church of England. I've seen some lovely video of the Queen dancing. But your right you can believe whatever you want doesn't mean your are right
Latter Day Saints are allowed to dance by the way. Our neighbor DJs at their youth dances.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I find the dialog interesting. How about placing another personage in the role? Would the same be said had Sarah (Andrew's wife) done the same? How about Catherine (William's wife)? Is there a double standard at work here?

Just wondering if there really was something 'off' regarding Diana taking the lead in this way, but because it's Diana she cannot be faulted. Had Catherine done something like this I have a hunch the roof would have fallen and mention of her 'commoner' background made much of. Am I wrong?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana can't be faulted!! Are you kidding me? Have you read some of the posts over the last few years in this and other Diana threads? !!!

Neither Sarah nor Kate love(d) dancing as Diana did. Neither (especially Sarah) are/were particularly graceful, in the way that dancers who have trained in ballet for years and years are. Diana was still taking lessons in her years as Prss of Wales.

I think we're forgetting here what sort of an evening it was. The Friends of Covent Garden let their hair down at these annual events. It was an evening in which, as one person described it, 'singers turn up and dance and dancers sing' It was an evening for people who were supporters, financial and otherwise, of Covent Garden all year round, an opportunity to have fun.

I notice there is no outrage here about a Prince getting up and singing about ice cream, a man who isn't and wasn't a trained singer, or about Charles and Diana doing a Romeo and Juliet skit. Or about Charles in his university days grabbing a woman and running off stage shouting "I must give myself airs/heirs". Sidesplittingly amusing? Dignified? The sort of behaviour expected from a prince of the blood Royal? Double standards, much?

Yet Diana, who had years of ballet and other dance training dances gracefully around the stage for a short time with a male ballet dancer known to both her and Charles, and there a chorus of disapproval on this thread!

The skit was short, it wasn't sexual, she wasn't gyrating around a pole, it was a fun evening and the audience was blown away.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

By some members of the public and on these forums indeed Diana can't be faulted, and even she did something wrong then that is diverted by P.Charles doing something wronger.

Storm in a teacup imo

but we're going round and round again, so finally there is some use for this emoticon:

Old 06-23-2016, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

And vice-versa, Lee Z, except that Charles's wrongdoings get ignored and not discussed by many on any thread. After all he's Royal, a future king, and alive, so therefore is regarded as sacrosanct by many.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Diana can't be faulted!! Are you kidding me? Have you read some of the posts over the last few years in this and other Diana threads? !!!

Neither Sarah nor Kate love(d) dancing as Diana did. Neither (especially Sarah) are/were particularly graceful, in the way that dancers who have trained in ballet for years and years are. Diana was still taking lessons in her years as Prss of Wales.

I think we're forgetting here what sort of an evening it was. The Friends of Covent Garden let their hair down at these annual events. It was an evening in which, as one person described it, 'singers turn up and dance and dancers sing' It was an evening for people who were supporters, financial and otherwise, of Covent Garden all year round, an opportunity to have fun.

I notice there is no outrage here about a Prince getting up and singing about ice cream, a man who isn't and wasn't a trained singer, or about Charles and Diana doing a Romeo and Juliet skit. Or about Charles in his university days grabbing a woman and running off stage shouting "I must give myself airs/heirs". Sidesplittingly amusing? Dignified? The sort of behaviour expected from a prince of the blood Royal? Double standards, much?

Yet Diana, who had years of ballet and other dance training dances gracefully around the stage for a short time with a male ballet dancer known to both her and Charles, and there a chorus of disapproval on this thread!

The skit was short, it wasn't sexual, she wasn't gyrating around a pole, it was a fun evening and the audience was blown away.
Thank you! I also agree about the double standards. I suppose Charles can dance, perform skits, and such because he has a serious reputation so any "silliness" only shows that he can have fun.

For me, Diana's dance was another example she and Charles didn't understand each other and the breakdown of the marriage (maybe already broken by then). I've forgotten the source but I recall Diana wanted to impress/surprise Charles with the dance performance. Instead, he felt hurt and left out because he and Diana had performed together the previous year.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
And vice-versa, Lee Z, except that Charles's wrongdoings get ignored and not discussed by many on any thread. After all he's Royal, a future king, and alive, so therefore is regarded as sacrosanct by many.
yes, and vice versa, and everytime someone accuses Diana of something, someone else points to Charles, and then someone else points to Diana etc etc

in other words, you just proved my point

No matter how many voices of reason state that both have their good and bad points, it always turns into fingerpointing by both camps

Old 06-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post

No matter how many voices of reason state that both have their good and bad points, it always turns into fingerpointing by both camps
Could not agree with this more.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:22 PM
Majesty

No, you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Just wondering if there really was something 'off' regarding Diana taking the lead in this way, but because it's Diana she cannot be faulted. Had Catherine done something like this I have a hunch the roof would have fallen and mention of her 'commoner' background made much of. Am I wrong?
Charles' "silliness" can indeed be offensive. There's a story that he addressed some school children with the words, "I hope you children are enjoying your childhood as much as we adults are enjoying our adultery." https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,9174975&hl=en

Then there's the news clip of him taking the cloth off a bust and saying something like "I have much experience unveiling busts."

I'm uncomfortable with Diana's dance with Wayne Sleep, but I'm even more uncomfortable with these quotes from Charles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
Thank you! I also agree about the double standards. I suppose Charles can dance, perform skits, and such because he has a serious reputation so any "silliness" only shows that he can have fun.

For me, Diana's dance was another example she and Charles didn't understand each other and the breakdown of the marriage (maybe already broken by then). I've forgotten the source but I recall Diana wanted to impress/surprise Charles with the dance performance. Instead, he felt hurt and left out because he and Diana had performed together the previous year.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm uncomfortable with Diana's dance with Wayne Sleep, but I'm even more uncomfortable with these quotes from Charles.
But aren't such gaffes what make everyone love Prince Philip?

Did Charles really say those things, though? Something doesn't sound right. If he did, he's more a chip off the old man than I ever supposed.

Anyway, did not mean to create such a stir with my question regarding Sarah or Catherine. I was genuinely inquiring if there is a double standard operating. Thank you for your response, Mermaid. I assume from your response, Curryong, there isn't one from your perspective. Okay. Good to know. Just be aware that sometimes someone really is (innocently) asking a question.

From the responses my take-away is there is something unique happening with how Diana's actions are viewed.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
There was nothing remotely wrong about this routine : it was cute and lighthearted. The only problem was she was HRH the Princess of wales and she was not supposed to do that. period.
I'm not sure if Charles went ballistic, but i guess he was embarrassed ... for her. Knowing the press and all, to expose yourself like this (even with the best intentions in the world) was maybe not the better move for a woman of her status. It was ok and fun for the 20 young girl Diana, but not, again, for HRH the Princess of Wales.
Your words echo exactly how I feel about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
[...]

For me, Diana's dance was another example she and Charles didn't understand each other [...].
Maybe she also did not understand her role as The Princess of Wales, the future Queen. It is not her position to change into dancing clothes and perform a duet on a stage. She is no artiste. She is The Princess of Wales! The royal radar seems better working with Catherine. She seems to have the right gut feel what is better not to do in her position.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:12 PM
Majesty

I saw the video of the bust unveiling either in an archive or in a documentary.

My own view of Diana's actions is that they will be seen more and more objectively as time passes. I wasn't impressed by Diana's dance when it happened, even though I was much in her thrall then otherwise.

It was the Panorama interview that really affected my opinions about Diana and her relationship with Charles and the rest of the BRF. I admit, my views are a bit of a jumble. On the one hand, I'm very nostalgic about those early years and the whole "princess dream". OTOH I can see with clarity the damage that she did later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Did Charles really say those things, though? Something doesn't sound right. If he did, he's more a chip off the old man than I ever supposed.

From the responses my take-away is there is something unique happening with how Diana's actions are viewed.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

They did damage, of sorts. She didn't do it alone. In all marriages it takes two.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Your words echo exactly how I feel about it.

Maybe she also did not understand her role as The Princess of Wales, the future Queen. It is not her position to change into dancing clothes and perform a duet on a stage. She is no artiste. She is The Princess of Wales! The royal radar seems better working with Catherine. She seems to have the right gut feel what is better not to do in her position.
This thread is titled 'Charles and Diana' not 'Diana and how her actions were or were not dignified' though.
Did Charles not understand his Royal role when, on a night of fun, he went on stage dressed as Romeo and sang about ice cream? Is it his position to change into costume and sing? Did he not understand that he was not an artiste not a singer, not an actor, but a Prince, the Prince of Wales? Or is it somehow different for him because he was born Royal and isn't Diana?

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana