The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

It's evident Diana adored Charles early on. He found her charming etc but really she wasn't up to his weight and even he stated publically 'whatever love is'...I'd bash my fiance if he's said that to anyone let alone millions on the day of my engagement!

I think if they had taken 6 months more, before engagement, to be around each other it would of fizzled out. They would of seen they didn't suit (or at least he would of).

LaRae

Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think if they had taken 6 months more, before engagement, to be around each other it would of fizzled out. They would of seen they didn't suit (or at least he would of).
I think Charles already had an inkling that Diana wasn't exactly his cup of tea but as she was perfectly suited to be a royal bride and he was being pressured quite a bit to marry and the one person that he turned to and trusted in these kind of things had been recently assassinated, he kind of figured "how bad could it be?". I think things would have been much different if Lord Mountbatten had lived. Diana had stars in her eyes and was going to be Princess of Wales and had Charles so high up on a pedestal that I think she really had a problem seeing Charles the man. She expected the happily ever after without realizing really what the ever after entailed.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh I agree..she was somewhat naive ...prince charming and all that. The one man who could never divorce her (or so she thought at that time). He represented a lot of positive things to her. She never got to know the man prior to the wedding.

Oh yes how bad could it be...well he found out didn't he.

LaRae
Old 05-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Both Charles and Diana had doubts about marrying each other. They are really didn't know each other that well, but they gave marriage the old college try. They were happy and in love for a time. The love between them helped produce to beautiful kids.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Aristocracy

True. Things go south very quickly. Theirs is a marriage that scares the bejeezus out of me.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl View Post
True. Things go south very quickly. Theirs is a marriage that scares the bejeezus out of me.
Well, yeah, things went bad for them. What scares me is the hundreds of false rumors that was applied to their story. A great deal of people made up all kinds of stuff about the Waleses and turned their story into a soap opera for profit.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quite right. People tend to take advantage to make a quick buck. But it must also be stated that the people involved didn't help their cause by talking about their problems on national television.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Quite right. People tend to take advantage to make a quick buck. But it must also be stated that the people involved didn't help their cause by talking about their problems on national television.
True, they made some bad moves, but a lot of that came out of hurt, frustration and pain. It all let you know that the royals are just like everybody else, because a lot of couples do crazy things when they're separating and divorcing.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Aristocracy

Yes, the dangers of making rash, emotional decisions.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Majesty

It's certainly a cautionary tale. My impression is that they didn't know each other well enough to have a true "meeting of the minds." I've felt for a long time that the Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie, who had meetings with them and detected an incompatibility, had a responsibility to go to HM and say, "Excuse me, Ma'am, but I don't think that this marriage is advisable." As the Queen's pastor, in effect, he had a right and an obligation to do that. Had the marriage been called off, people would have been disappointed, but life would have gone on. Britain had certainly survived worse.

Quote:
Old 05-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
It's certainly a cautionary tale. My impression is that they didn't know each other well enough to have a true "meeting of the minds." I've felt for a long time that the Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie, who had meetings with them and detected an incompatibility, had a responsibility to go to HM and say, "Excuse me, Ma'am, but I don't think that this marriage is advisable." As the Queen's pastor, in effect, he had a right and an obligation to do that. Had the marriage been called off, people would have been disappointed, but life would have gone on. Britain had certainly survived worse.
A lot of people (family and others) knew things weren't on a solid foundation for Charles and Diana to build a successful marriage and partnership to lead the Monarchy, but they all failed to properly advise, council, support and comfort Charles and Diana. No matter the circumstances, the Waleses didn't have a proper support team around them and to fall back on. Those two were left to sink or swim all on their own.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Aristocracy

I certainly understand that argument and personally I would hope someone would advise me in that situation. However, it's also a very awkward situation for the Queen and others. I mean telling someone they shouldn't marry is a HUGE intrusion into their personal life which many people aren't comfortable with for very good reasons. If they don't marry and they're sad, the friends and family look like the bad guy for standing in their way and if they wind up marrying anyway then the friends and family look like haters who I imagine would not be looked at in the same manner as before.

I understand that friends and family exist to support, but these were adults not ten year olds. At a certain point, they have to be held responsible for marrying when each had their doubts. I understand it was hard and I see the reasons why the mistake was made, but the responsibility lies with the two people who made the choice to begin with.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I certainly understand that argument and personally I would hope someone would advise me in that situation. However, it's also a very awkward situation for the Queen and others. I mean telling someone they shouldn't marry is a HUGE intrusion into their personal life which many people aren't comfortable with for very good reasons. If they don't marry and they're sad, the friends and family look like the bad guy for standing in their way and if they wind up marrying anyway then the friends and family look like haters who I imagine would not be looked at in the same manner as before.

I understand that friends and family exist to support, but these were adults not ten year olds. At a certain point, they have to be held responsible for marrying when each had their doubts. I understand it was hard and I see the reasons why the mistake was made, but the responsibility lies with the two people who made the choice to begin with.
The couple were pushed together by the same people who failed to support them. Of course some responsibility landed on the couple footsteps, but they had a lot of pressure on them at the sametime.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe this is just a difference in principle. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility in general so I think that's why I'm not really with the idea that the blame lay on anyone other than Charles and Diana for making a dumb choice. To me it's not the worst thing and we've all been there, but I don't tend to blame others when I make a stupid
decision so that's the perspective I take with others. Context matters, as it always does, but I'm not sure that they can be blamed for two grown ups making a dumb decision.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Maybe this is just a difference in principle. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility in general so I think that's why I'm not really with the idea that the blame lay on anyone other than Charles and Diana for making a dumb choice. To me it's not the worst thing and we've all been there, but I don't tend to blame others when I make a stupid
decision so that's the perspective I take with others. Context matters, as it always does, but I'm not sure that they can be blamed for two grown ups making a dumb decision.
No one is placing all the blame on others. What I'm saying is that there was a lot of blame to go around. It wasn't just Charles and Diana doing stupid stuff, but there were others who had their hand in the royal pot too.

Charles and Diana needed some serious help and guidance in their private life, but they were treated like two characters from episode of Game of Thrones, instead of like two real people who were in serious trouble.

No matter who you are, you can't build a successful family life on shaky and cracked grounds. Marriage and family life must be the first priority, and When it came to Charles and Diana's marriage and relationship, none of it was the first priority. Royal duties and image came first, that was a recipe for disaster right there.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Aristocracy

I understand that. What I'm saying is that while that may be true, personally, others have had the same if not more pressure and they managed to handle it well and when they didn't they are held responsible for their actions. It's just a matter of different perspective in my eyes, don't mean to say you're wrong. To me, people should take responsibility for their own actions regardless of their circumstances. If you feel different, that's fine. I understand the argument that others were involved, but to me that final decision was theirs; unless of course, they were forced to marry.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I understand that. What I'm saying is that while that may be true, personally, others have had the same if not more pressure and they managed to handle it well and when they didn't they are held responsible for their actions. It's just a matter of different perspective in my eyes, don't mean to say you're wrong. To me, people should take responsibility for their own actions regardless of their circumstances. If you feel different, that's fine. I understand the argument that others were involved, but to me that final decision was theirs; unless of course, they were forced to marry.
I agree with you. Charles and Diana had to be responsible for their own actions. Just making it clear that they are/were part of a very old institution, and there are lots of influences involved.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I know, but I think there was a lot of naivety going on both with Charles and Diana themselves and those around them.

I think they married each other for different reasons and thought they could change one another as time went on. As has been suggested in previous posts, had they got to know one another for longer they may well have realised it wouldn't work or they may well have managed to develop the relationship sufficiently enough to think that they could make the compromises and changes needed and that marriage would be the natural step forward.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Despite all of the drama, they shared some love and laughter with each other though. Diana and Charles had a great sense of humor and played games and jokes on each other a lot.

Charles was tickled to death when Diana put on some fake breast during a party one time. He used to tickle her at meetings at KP and they loved hitting the dance floor together whenever they could. I remember Diana couldn't stop laughing at Charles sporting a hard hat during their tour of a factory. His head looked like an egg in the hat and her laugh could be heard all over the place. Sometimes before they would part on a royal walkabout, they would kiss each other. Also, Charles loved patting Diana's butt when conducting official engagements.

There are tons of fun facts about Charles and Diana. Their marriage and relationship wasn't a total tragedy. A lot of their fun and humor as husband and wife aren't written about. I guess some don't think it sells.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

And because of moments like these I can understand how they could be friends.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana