The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
At nineteen I was bookish, shy, a virgin, and so painfully naïve and unworldly that I almost weep now to remember it. I had no clue on Earth what it meant to make a marriage work between a man and a woman, in fact I'd never even thought about it much. I went around with stars in my eyes confidently expecting that some day a dashing stranger would sweep me off my feet in a passionate kiss, we'd marry in a dreamy white wedding and my life would really truly begin.

Except for the bookish part, does any of the above ring familiar with a certain Lady Diana Frances Spencer?

Lord and (former) Lady Spencer should have put aside the heady idea that their teenage daughter was going to marry the heir to the Throne. They should have done everything in their power to dissuade not only Diana but Charles as well.
I think Charles and Diana's parents let them down in many ways.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Rather than parse this, I will only say that there is no evidence for any of this. None. Not in any of the reading I have done, though my reading has not been exhaustive, I admit. My mother was certainly around, and once I started reading she did give me some perspectives on the situation.

I just read on this site that Diana did not do a lot of events early in her marriage, so I'm not sure what you're referring to, as it seems the BRF was very accommodating to Diana's needs. The BRF gave her free rein. She never did anything she didn't want to do. She very much wanted to do the public events. I'd say she lived for them, in fact. She had that in her, as some people do. I am around a lot of people like that. It's not a bad thing, it's just the way she was.

Anyway, I am clued in enough to know that discussing Diana is potentially a risky affair. I'm not here to upset you, nor anyone. I'm certainly not here to hate someone I never knew, and criticism can sometimes feel like animus. In my case, it isn't. Diana was just a complicated person. So saying, I bow out.

Well I can tell you she did a lot from the word go every second night there would be on the TV news she was in Wales speaking a few words of welsh making speeches at an engagement she was at opening of parliament where there's a famous photo of her falling asleep when she was pregnant with Will etc etc etc I remember it well believe me

I don't where you are getting your information but I can tell you your wrong
Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think Charles and Diana's parents let them down in many ways.

They were worried about Charles not settling down and his married lady friends !! There would be pages in the woman's mag headlines when will he marry he said at one stage he hoped to be married at 28 when that come and went they was lots of oh dear headlines.
His wife had to be a virgin and from the right family enter his and her grandmothers

Old 02-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

After I posted, I saw your post and wanted to comment on one of your observations.

Quote:
There is a glamorous side to being royal and Diana did her thing. You see a lot of the royal ladies of today loving the glamorous side of their job...it wasn't just Diana's thing. It takes a strong and self-confident man to have a beautiful woman by his side and not resent the interest in her. That wasn't Charles, but I see a lot of self confidence in the young Kings and Princes of today.
Absolutely agree about glamour not being just Diana's thing. Of course not. I love the glamour. Love going out myself all decked out on the rare occasions we do so. (Though I would never survive a royal life being 'on' all the time in public. Grueling imo).

If you notice, every king with his queen by his side actually has her 'by his side'. I think of Letizia who is always in a deferential posture towards her husband in public. She never separates herself from him, or lures the attention to herself. I think we can say the same for every other consort.

One cannot say that about Diana. The evidence is there on YouTube. Countless videos showing the amazing putting forward of herself as separate from Charles. It's painful to watch. In fact, I think if any of the current crop of queens and crown princesses did anything approaching what Diana did back then, they'd find themselves divorced. I truly do. No man would put up with it, but Charles did.

So when it comes to self-confidence, I think it has everything to do with how one's spouse is presenting themself when with one. I've watched interviews with both Charles and Diana and been appalled at Diana's manner and words. I can't imagine any other crown prince or king putting up with such flagrant immaturity/nastiness from their spouse in public. That it was allowed is what puzzles me.

And now I really will bow out. Some things seem to be better left alone.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
They were worried about Charles not settling down and his married lady friends !! There would be pages in the woman's mag headlines when will he marry he said at one stage he hoped to be married at 28 when that come and went they was lots of oh dear headlines.
His wife had to be a virgin and from the right family enter his and her grandmothers

I happen to think it was destiny. Their parents should have prepared them, but I think fate played it's part. Charles and Diana were meant to be in each other lives for a season. Some things just don't last forever.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-08-2015, 12:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
After I posted, I saw your post and wanted to comment on one of your observations.

Absolutely agree about glamour not being just Diana's thing. Of core not. I love the glamour. Love going out myself all decked out on the rare occasions we do so. (Though I would never survive a royal life being 'on' all the time in public. Grueling imo).

If you notice, every king with his queen by his side actually has her 'by his side'. I think of Letizia who is always in a deferential posture towards her husband in public. She never separates herself from him, or lures the attention to herself. I think we can say the same for every other consort.

One cannot say that about Diana. The evidence is there on YouTube. Countless videos showing the amazing putting forward of herself as separate from Charles. It's painful to watch. In fact, I think if any of the current crop of queens and crown princesses did anything approaching what Diana did back then, they'd find themselves divorced. I truly do. No man would put up with it, but Charles did.

So when it comes to self-confidence, I think it has everything to do with how one's spouse is presenting themself when with one. I've watched interviews with both Charles and Diana and been appalled at Diana's manner and words. I can't imagine any other crown prince or king putting up with such flagrant nastiness from their spouse in public. That it was allowed is what puzzles me.

Diana's words !!!well you really have confused I haven't a clue what your referring too when the marriage was over yes But not in the early days I can tell you

Old 02-08-2015, 12:17 AM
Majesty

Dman I've thought about it a lot in the years since Diana's death. Tragic as it turned out, I agree with you.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Image from http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/201...iana-5-435.jpg.

Image from http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img...s/517x/695.jpg.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
He loved 'Whiplash' Wallace according to what I've read. Quite a firecracker. She broke his heart.
I agree he was in love with Anna Wallace and he married Diana on the rebound. Diana somewhat resembled Anna and both had the same hair cut.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Absolutely agree about glamour not being just Diana's thing. Of course not. I love the glamour. Love going out myself all decked out on the rare occasions we do so. (Though I would never survive a royal life being 'on' all the time in public. Grueling imo).

So when it comes to self-confidence, I think it has everything to do with how one's spouse is presenting themself when with one. I've watched interviews with both Charles and Diana and been appalled at Diana's manner and words. I can't imagine any other crown prince or king putting up with such flagrant nastiness from their spouse in public. That it was allowed is what puzzles me.

Diana did stick at Charles's side for a longtime, and she even said that she loved their joint engagements. I think the problem was that the media thought Charles was a bit of a stiff and Diana was young and fresh. If you look back at some of their pictures and videos, you could see the difference between them.

I really don't think purposely drew attention away from Charles, the cameras was drawn to her. If she moved her head, the cameras went nuts. That wasn't her fault, it was the medias doing.

The media is crazy about today's young Queen's and Princesses. Very little attention is paid to the husbands. It take strong, self-confident and fulfilled men to deal with the level of attention that's paid to their "fine ***" wives.

Quote:
Dman I've thought about it a lot in the years since Diana's death. Tragic as it turned out, I agree with you.
Yeah, that's just the way I see it. Tragic in the end, but it was already written so it had to come to pass.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

If anyone is interested in whiplash Wallace
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...tionships.html

Old 02-08-2015, 01:12 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Diana did stick at Charles's side for a longtime, and she even said that she loved their joint engagements. I think the problem was that the media thought Charles was a bit of a stiff and Diana was young and fresh. If you look back at some of their pictures and videos, you could see the difference between them.
Right here is where I think one of the problems in the marriage was. If I recall from what I've read, one of the complaints that arose between Charles and Diana was the amount of time Charles was off on his own engagements. Perhaps Diana had visions of them both always doing joint engagements together and that she would be included in most all of what Charles did and that didn't happen. Charles, as Prince of Wales, had a pretty full engagement book and Diana felt it took him away from her too much.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Quote:
He loved 'Whiplash' Wallace according to what I've read. Quite a firecracker. She broke his heart.
I agree he was in love with Anna Wallace and he married Diana on the rebound. Diana somewhat resembled Anna and both had the same hair cut.
While Diana was certainly no slouch (she cleaned up nicely ) Anna was the beauty. The similar haircut must have been from the time and just a fluke. That is what I will believe or else I'd be compelled to ascribe to Diana more cunning than I already do.

In fact, I view Anna 'Whiplash' Wallace as Charles' Chelsy Davey.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
If anyone is interested in whiplash Wallace
Prince Charles and his relationships - Telegraph

It sounds like Wallace was just a passionate fling, with the operative word here being fling. The article reads as if neither was even faithful to one another, with the final break occurring because Charles neglected her at a party.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It sounds like Wallace was just a passionate fling, with the operative word here being fling. The article reads as if neither was even faithful to one another, with the final break occurring because Charles neglected her at a party.

Ah memories there was a lot of talk about what he did at that party from he spent to much time with his grandmother ( the Charles is a nice man) to he was having it off with some one else and she walked in( the Charles is a playboy )

Old 02-08-2015, 02:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have clear memories of those early Diana and Charles years - and the obvious distaste they have at being in each other's company from almost day 1.

I remember my mother commenting on the body language when the videos of them on their honeymoon at Balmoral were shown. Her views, then, were clear - that is a couple who can barely stand to be together and they have only been married for about 6 weeks. They will have two children because that will be the expectations but that marriage is already over.

The first reports I read of trouble in the Charles and Diana marriage date to around November 1981 - not even six months into the marriage and those stories simply grew and grew louder until they were a regular feature of the media I was reading from around 1983 onwards with stories of both of them having lovers.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Image from http://cdn.sheknows.com/filter/l/gal...a_balmoral.jpg.

The honey moon

Image from http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...91-428-640.png.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

A still photo can show anything you want. Watch the entire video - they are distant from each other. Even in that photo they are distant - just because she is touching him they aren't together are all.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wow just wow not together I guess you will always what you want but that's wow

How much more do you want
Image from http://resources1.news.com.au/images...na-wedding.jpg.

Diana looks like she's very much loves being with him

Old 02-08-2015, 04:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

He looks like he would rather be anywhere but with her. It is not only one person that makes a marriage.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Charles and Diana

I agree with that
But she looks very in love

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana