The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1081  
Old 01-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
My take on what happened is that in 1989, William was at school and Harry was in pre-school. They were becoming more independent. Although small children and babies need a lot of attention, they also give a lot of attention, which is why some women have such a need to keep having babies.

Diana wanted another child but knew it would be very problematic to have a child by a man other than Charles. (I doubt if she was too concerned about being beheaded for treason). She admits that she told Charles she wanted to reconcile by offering to have another baby.

Charles, wisely, declined. Diana decided that if Camilla dropped him, she and Charles would be able to resume their marriage, which is what led to the confrontation.

Regardless of when you think the various affairs began, by 1989, the problem wasn't really Camilla. It was clear to Charles that he and Diana had nothing in common and neither of them were emotionally suited for each other. Moreover, I doubt that Diana would have ever truly forgiven Charles for his affair and it would have continued to be a source of friction in the marriage.

Diana was very hurt by the rebuff and escalated her hysterics, which aliened Charles even more, and the marriage entered into a death spiral. She became very vindictive and really beefed up her campaign in the media, culminating in the Morton book, which completely finished the marriage.

If Diana really had wanted to save her marriage in 1989 she should have tried making a commitment to Charles to try and cultivate shared interests and offering to see a true mental health professional to help them both work through their issues.

We don't know how Charles would have responded. I tend to think that he felt the marriage was over and didn't think it could be saved. Some will blame him for that but by that time, there had been several affairs and a lot of unhappiness. Sometimes it is just better to let things go.

The problem is that they didn't divorce or separate at that time. It wasn't just the royal family, Diana didn't want a divorce at that time. It left Diana in an untenable situation, trapped in an unhappy marriage and wanting to have more children.
Yes, they both wanted another child. I remember hearing they wanted a daughter, but their marriage was going down hill and it didn't happen.

I think it was Harry who mentioned that Catherine is the daughter Diana would've wanted or something along those lines.
__________________

__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #1082  
Old 01-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
I may be wrong, but I've always felt that Diana regretted the divorce.
I've read it was the Queen who finally said Enough! And told them to divorce and be done with it.
But I don't think Diana expected that, and I think she did come to regret it in later years.

(I still think Lacey was correct when he claimed he could see her spiraling down after the divorce).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old 01-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I may be wrong, but I've always felt that Diana regretted the divorce.
I've read it was the Queen who finally said Enough! And told them to divorce and be done with it.
But I don't think Diana expected that, and I think she did come to regret it in later years.

(I still think Lacey was correct when he claimed he could see her spiraling down after the divorce).
You are correct, Diana did not want to get a divorce. She made that pretty clear, but she and Charles knew there had to be some clarity in their situation. It couldn't continue on like it was forever.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 01-09-2015, 12:54 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I may be wrong, but I've always felt that Diana regretted the divorce.
I've read it was the Queen who finally said Enough! And told them to divorce and be done with it.
But I don't think Diana expected that, and I think she did come to regret it in later years.

(I still think Lacey was correct when he claimed he could see her spiraling down after the divorce).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You are correct, Diana did not want to get a divorce. She made that pretty clear, but she and Charles knew there had to be some clarity in their situation. It couldn't continue on like it was forever.
I am glad they divorced when they did. The separation had gone on too long, and nobody was benefitting. I just wish they had divorced shortly after the separation was announced.
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 01-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,004
Yes, I agree. She had tremendous energy but not enough things to focus it on. She did good work with the Red Cross landmines campaign, and I think that was her one real achievement after her divorce--to draw attention to that problem. However, there also seemed to be a lot of too-ing and fro-ing and much talk of various treatments and therapies. Her life in that last year seemed to be sped-up and frantic, at least to what I can remember of that period. By the time of her last vacation with Dodi, the young woman I had admired had slipped away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

(I still think Lacey was correct when he claimed he could see her spiraling down after the divorce).
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 01-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, I agree. She had tremendous energy but not enough things to focus it on. She did good work with the Red Cross landmines campaign, and I think that was her one real achievement after her divorce--to draw attention to that problem. However, there also seemed to be a lot of too-ing and fro-ing and much talk of various treatments and therapies. Her life in that last year seemed to be sped-up and frantic, at least to what I can remember of that period. By the time of her last vacation with Dodi, the young woman I had admired had slipped away.
I think Diana was in the process of changing her life and moving on to bigger and better things before she died. She was about to embark on an aids campaign with President's Clinton and Mandela. She accepted Charles's invitation to go with him on a tour around the isles on the Royal Yacht Britannia, before it was due to be decommissioned. I think she was going to tackle many more charitable causes. Sadly, she accepted a vacation invitation that took everything away from her, and forever changed the lives of her children and families.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old 02-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: virginia, United States
Posts: 26
Prince Charles wailed 'I can't go through with it' on eve of marriage to Princess Diana, biography claims - Telegraph

Catherine Mayer's book Charles: Heart of a King says both Prince Charles and Princess Diana contemplated calling off their wedding - but for different reasons
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 02-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeyah View Post
Prince Charles wailed 'I can't go through with it' on eve of marriage to Princess Diana, biography claims - Telegraph

Catherine Mayer's book Charles: Heart of a King says both Prince Charles and Princess Diana contemplated calling off their wedding - but for different reasons
Such a tragedy that they both felt that way but neither had the confidence and courage to call it off. The pressures on them were enormous from the moment they were first spotted together.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old 02-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Such a tragedy that they both felt that way but neither had the confidence and courage to call it off. The pressures on them were enormous from the moment they were first spotted together.
They did go on to love each other though, and brought two children into this world, of which they adored.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 02-07-2015, 07:46 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,870
I knew Lady Sarah and Lady Jane had told Lady Diana about her face on the tea towels.
To now learn that the Prince of Wales did not want to go through with the wedding is unfathomable.
Was Diana not the perfect wife-to-be?
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
They did go on to love each other though, and brought two children into this world, of which they adored.
I hope this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone here but humans beings can copulate without loving each other, and each of them can love the children their union produces regardless of how they feel about the other parent.

If Charles and Diana had not married, I am fairly sure each of them would have married other people and had children with those people and would have loved those children. And Charles and his alternative universe wife could have been, and remained, happy as clams, and so could Diana and her alternativee universe husband, which would have been a far better outcome than that which in fact unfolded.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
I knew Lady Sarah and Lady Jane had told Lady Diana about her face on the tea towels.
To now learn that the Prince of Wales did not want to go through with the wedding is unfathomable.
Was Diana not the perfect wife-to-be?
CyrilVladisla, you must get out more! Or start reading. This is a story you can't pass up reading about. Hands down, better than a marathon viewing of the Walking Dead, and that's going some.

In fairness to Charles, he was dealing with a 'gentleman's code of conduct' at that point, but he had a good friend who did counsel him that Diana was not 'the one' to be his consort. Would that he had listened. But he didn't.

In all I've read Diana never had second thoughts, even when her mother pressed her to undo the engagement. (In fact, my mother used Diana as a cautionary tale with me, which somewhat back-fired, as these things sometimes do. Which should make Diana not listening to her mother all the more understandable for me).

When you start reading, brace yourself for the justifications for Diana's behavior, all about her being 'so young'. I am not sure I understand how someone her age could be so clueless. The conclusion is unavoidable, she wasn't. But for some reason the general public back then saw her otherwise. I have my hunches why.

Anyway, Diana was a very different person after the engagement was announced than she was before. There are innumerable books that detail what took place. It's my opinion that the Queen should have stepped in when it was seen what was happening. The Queen and her advisors could have spun the proper PR to undo the engagement. But it didn't happen. Read the books. Amazing story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I hope this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone here but humans beings can copulate without loving each other, and each of them can love the children their union produces regardless of how they feel about the other parent.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
If Charles and Diana had not married, I am fairly sure each of them would have married other people and had children with those people and would have loved those children. And Charles and his alternative universe wife could have been, and remained, happy as clams, and so could Diana and her alternativee universe husband, which would have been a far better outcome than that which in fact unfolded.
This sounds like a fascinating thread idea. Anyone up for it? Who would Charles have married?
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
CyrilVladisla, you must get out more! Or start reading. This is a story you can't pass up reading about. Hands down, better than a marathon viewing of the Walking Dead, and that's going some.



In fairness to Charles, he was dealing with a 'gentleman's code of conduct' at that point, but he had a good friend who did counsel him that Diana was not 'the one' to be his consort. Would that he had listened. But he didn't.



In all I've read Diana never had second thoughts, even when her mother pressed her to undo the engagement. (In fact, my mother used Diana as a cautionary tale with me, which somewhat back-fired, as these things sometimes do. Which should make Diana not listening to her mother all the more understandable for me).



When you start reading, brace yourself for the justifications for Diana's behavior, all about her being 'so young'. I am not sure I understand how someone her age could be so clueless. The conclusion is unavoidable, she wasn't. But for some reason the general public back then saw her otherwise. I have my hunches why.



Anyway, Diana was a very different person after the engagement was announced than she was before. There are innumerable books that detail what took place. It's my opinion that the Queen should have stepped in when it was seen what was happening. The Queen and her advisors could have spun the proper PR to undo the engagement. But it didn't happen. Read the books. Amazing story.

Well that's one version there's lots of books out there


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,822
Charles loved Camilla and to that end, unless someone with the same motherly and kind love she gave him, came along, it would have been the same. To whomever said how could Diana been that clueless, at 19 you know nothing, I know that, because it was the age of my first marriage. It last 28 years until my husband died, because he dedicated his first years of our marriage to helping me grow up. He was 27. Charles needed a mother and someone who would fill his need for his ego. Diana became more important, publicly, than he. He could never have dealt with that.
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Charles loved Camilla and to that end, unless someone with the same motherly and kind love she gave him, came along, it would have been the same. To whomever said how could Diana been that clueless, at 19 you know nothing, I know that, because it was the age of my first marriage. It last 28 years until my husband died, because he dedicated his first years of our marriage to helping me grow up. He was 27. Charles needed a mother and someone who would fill his need for his ego. Diana became more important, publicly, than he. He could never have dealt with that.

Totally agree 💐


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 02-08-2015, 12:17 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Charles loved Camilla and to that end, unless someone with the same motherly and kind love she gave him, came along, it would have been the same.
He loved 'Whiplash' Wallace according to what I've read. Quite a firecracker. She broke his heart. Camilla was definitely around as a friend, but there is no evidence that he was loving Camilla in the way you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
To whomever said how could Diana been that clueless, at 19 you know nothing.
I knew enough. I'm only going by me. And from what I've read Diana was pretty savvy, too, and quite deliberate in how she went about things with Charles. Even I was never that calculating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Charles needed a mother and someone who would fill his need for his ego. Diana became more important, publicly, than he. He could never have dealt with that.
Ouch! You know Charles that well, Countess? Sorry for being sardonic, it just seems that 'knowing' that kind of thing about anyone, most of all a celebrity-type person, is assuming a lot. Reality is always a surprise. Truly.

Whether Diana was 'more important' publicly we could debate. Charles was the heir to the throne. He was unambiguously more important than Diana. Might it have been that it was Diana who could not handle that? She was always beholden to Charles for her status. Even her position as the mother of a future king was due to Charles. Must have annoyed her. When I look at pictures and videos of her in public I see someone who really wanted the spotlight at any price. It's so obvious.

As for what Charles dealt with, I think Diana courting the cameras and publicity the way she did was enough for any man to deal with, and deal he did, as he had to. As far as I know, Charles was always the gentleman. Just imagine if Catherine behaved the way Diana did with the cameras, she'd be roasted alive, in more ways than one.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 02-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,883
The RF loved Diana at first threw her in deep end and then didn't like it when the crowds loved her more than Charles. She was very young much too young to be in the position she was put in. I lived though those times I remember when she was pregnant with Will and throwing up behind stage but had to carry on. The family wouldn't let her have time off dress her up and push her out there. Disgraceful treatment. I know I will have everyone telling me I'm wrong and she was this and that but that's not the way I see it and I was around in those times


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

And what did Diana do with the cameras ????? Smile talk to people and young children exactly like Kate does now


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This comment is one of the weirdest I have seen here

As for what Charles dealt with, I think Diana courting the cameras and publicity the way she did was enough for any man to deal with, and deal he did, as he had to. As far as I know, Charles was always the gentleman. Just imagine if Catherine behaved the way Diana did with the cameras, she'd be roasted alive, in more ways than one.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 02-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,425
Why turn this around to a Charles vs Diana thing?

They both had second thoughts before their marriage. None of this is new and the info from this new book is pretty much old. Yes, they were pressured in many ways, but they did love each other, had two children and enjoyed several years of happiness. When Charles bought Highgrove, he wanted to change the landscaping. He wanted to design little 'C&D' initials in the grass. They were very playful with each other and they laughed a lot. They shared some happy times and I think it's very unfair to make it seem like there was no love between them.

Diana was a very young lady when she married Charles, and was unsure of herself for a couple of years. After many years of being wife, mother and Princess of Wales, she grew in confidence and that showed in the media. Yes, the cameras loved Diana and she always tried to put her best foot forward. There is a glamorous side to being royal and Diana did her thing. You see a lot of the royal ladies of today loving the glamorous side of their job...it wasn't just Diana's thing. It takes a strong and self-confident man to have a beautiful woman by his side and not resent the interest in her. That wasn't Charles, but I see a lot of self confidence in the young Kings and Princes of today.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 02-08-2015, 12:49 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
The RF loved Diana at first threw her in deep end and then didn't like it when the crowds loved her more than Charles. She was very young much too young to be in the position she was put in. I lived though those times I remember when she was pregnant with Will and throwing up behind stage but had to carry on. The family wouldn't let her have time off dress her up and push her out there. Disgraceful treatment. I know I will have everyone telling me I'm wrong and she was this and that but that's not the way I see it and I was around in those times.
Rather than parse this, I will only say that there is no evidence for any of this. None. Not in any of the reading I have done, though my reading has not been exhaustive, I admit. My mother was certainly around, and once I started reading she did give me some perspectives on the situation.

I just read on this site that Diana did not do a lot of events early in her marriage, so I'm not sure what you're referring to, as it seems the BRF was very accommodating to Diana's needs. The BRF gave her free rein. She never did anything she didn't want to do. She very much wanted to do the public events. I'd say she lived for them, in fact. She had that in her, as some people do. I am around a lot of people like that. It's not a bad thing, it's just the way she was.

Anyway, I am clued in enough to know that discussing Diana is potentially a risky affair. I'm not here to upset you, nor anyone. I'm certainly not here to hate someone I never knew, and criticism can sometimes feel like animus. In my case, it isn't. Diana was just a complicated person. So saying, I bow out.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
At nineteen I was bookish, shy, a virgin, and so painfully na´ve and unworldly that I almost weep now to remember it. I had no clue on Earth what it meant to make a marriage work between a man and a woman, in fact I'd never even thought about it much. I went around with stars in my eyes confidently expecting that some day a dashing stranger would sweep me off my feet in a passionate kiss, we'd marry in a dreamy white wedding and my life would really truly begin.

Except for the bookish part, does any of the above ring familiar with a certain Lady Diana Frances Spencer?

Lord and (former) Lady Spencer should have put aside the heady idea that their teenage daughter was going to marry the heir to the Throne. They should have done everything in their power to dissuade not only Diana but Charles as well.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charles and Diana Picture Thread Josefine Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 434 08-12-2015 06:00 PM
Charles and Diana: Visit to Italy - 1985 jun5 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 57 09-02-2012 10:35 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess beatrice hats princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathilde in jordan queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion royal wedding september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden swedish royal family summer portraits 2016 the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats time travel


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:48 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises