The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Royal Highness

The Tell Tale Moment South Korea 1992. . ..

The picture that spoke millions of words about the marriage; South Korea:

Picture: Mike Forster

Old 08-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin

I think its unfair to judge a marriage upon one photo. In this case apparently it was true, but say for example the photos of the king and queen of sweden in khao lak in april, mourning the victims of the tsunami.
They both had tears in their eyes and looked alot like Charles and Diana does on the photo. If they would get a divorce later on, perhaps those photos would be use to illustrate the unhappiness.

My point is that that photo of Charles and Diana was probably made at some sort of memorial service (?) in Korea and therefor there was no "happy faces". It wouldnt have been appropiate for them to smile and laught.
A brillant example of how media can use pictures to "prove things"

btw, thanks for posting the photo, its really one of the most memorable moments in the Charles and Diana saga

Old 08-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Royal Highness

Unfortunately in this case, we saw the writing on the wall with years of rumors and the serialization of Andrew Morton's book. It really wasn't a far leap in 1992 to have said this.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:

If my husband had a mistress and he is refusing to give her up I too will be like that, tired of sharing my husband.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Unfortunately in this case, we saw the writing on the wall with years of rumors and the serialization of Andrew Morton's book. It really wasn't a far leap in 1992 to have said this.
You are basing your views on a book that was written by a man who used his position to write a book of lies basically. Diana was not in her right mind the time that this book was written, half of what she and her so-called friends said was simply untrue.

As for Korea, none of us were there so we don't know what happened, and do we even care anymore? That was 15 years ago. Diana's dead, Charles is with the woman he truly loves... Isn't it time we put Charles and Diana behind us and focous on the future, which is Charles and Camilla?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeap
Isn't it time we put Charles and Diana behind us and focous on the future, which is Charles and Camilla?
There are those of us who feel that Charles and Camilla should never have been. Their love affair hurt many amongst their respective families and spouses. Now, after all these years to get away with what they have done is unacceptable in my eyes, and for myself, the future is William not Charles. Charles and Camilla are an annoyance to the royal line IMHO.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I'm a year younger than Diana and I remember being shocked at everybody saying how perfect this marriage choice was...
What Diana saw was a safe haven. She knew (at the time) that by marrying the future King of England, she would be guaranteed that there would be no divorce. That was her safety zone. She thought (maybe not conciously) that this marriage would last, had to last because at that level - future King of England - he couldn't be a divorced man. At the time :)

Maybe she fell in love with him later as she got to know him but I would say at the outset that she was in love with the idea of being married to someone who couldn't entertain divorce as an option. Maybe (and every new bride feels this) she though that he would come around to her way to thinking and they would live happily ever after. Of course, it didn't happen that way.

One good piece of advice that was given to me by a very wise friend of mine - don't train your husbands to be something you want them to be... if their mother's couldn't do it, you don't stand a chance.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australis
If my husband had a mistress and he is refusing to give her up I too will be like that, tired of sharing my husband.
If my husband had a mistress and refused to give her up, he wouldn't be my husband for too long after that.

Actually, if my husband had a mistress, he'd be shown the front door and be served with papers not too long after. Period. End of story :)
Old 08-26-2005, 04:56 AM
Administrator

A dynastic view

Quote:
There are those of us who feel that Charles and Camilla should never have been...for myself, the future is William not Charles. Charles and Camilla are an annoyance to the royal line IMHO.
Whereas to a Royalist and die-hard Monarchist like myself the important thing is not the "he said/she said, he did/she did" circular debate, but the unbroken and orderly Line of Succession to the Throne. William is certainly one part of the future, but unless anything untoward happens, his time will come after his father has reigned as King in accordance with his birthright. Or does this just make me sound 'old-fashioned'?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Whereas to a Royalist and die-hard Monarchist like myself the important thing is not the "he said/she said, he did/she did" circular debate, but the unbroken and orderly Line of Succession to the Throne. William is certainly one part of the future, but unless anything untoward happens, his time will come after his father has reigned as King in accordance with his birthright. Or does this just make me sound 'old-fashioned'?
I understand your opinion Warren and I do respect it. Sometimes, I just wish things weren't the way they are.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:12 AM
Gentry

Not old-fashioned at all Warren, just pratical!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Courtier

They did love each other like what I've believed all along.

http://www.theroyalist.net/content/view/212/1/
Old 12-26-2005, 03:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisele
If my husband had a mistress and refused to give her up, he wouldn't be my husband for too long after that.

Actually, if my husband had a mistress, he'd be shown the front door and be served with papers not too long after. Period. End of story :)

When I was a little girl I would have agreed with you but if my mother had done that she would now be a lonely woman. Instead she is with the man she has loved since she first met him - aged 15 - why? Because she is a deeply devoted Christian and forgave him his mistresses.

They are extremely happy now as he adores her just as much as she adores him.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
When I was a little girl I would have agreed with you but if my mother had done that she would now be a lonely woman. Instead she is with the man she has loved since she first met him - aged 15 - why? Because she is a deeply devoted Christian and forgave him his mistresses.

I can't speak for your parents, but I think it's against human nature, to be forgiving of a husbands constant infidelity, more likely a fear of being alone, or financial or emotional dependence. Yes many people do go wandering around in their youth and when they are old and dependent on another they know who to come back to. (not to the mistresses of course).
On the other hand if we have to be open minded we can think about King Albert II and Queen Paola, jwho in later years reconciled, ah well.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness

In her book, Diana's friend, Lady Anabel Goldsmith, said Diana never asked her for advice but, if she had, she would've given her the advice her attorney gave her: Would you rather be an unmarried woman with children or a married woman? Lady Anabel chose the latter, even though her husband effectively had three different families throughout their marriage. It's hard to say; divorce seems like a comparatively easy solution but it takes a greater toll than you can imagine, in so many ways--raising children being just one of them.

I think--as stated earlier--Diana was so terrified of divorce she married the "one man from whom divorce would be unthinkable." And I do think there was love there. They have two great sons.....and I still give Prince Charles high marks for fighting to go to Paris, collect her body and make sure she was given all the proper respects throughout her funeral. This was no easy struggle; he had to battle his mother, his father, various family members and a whole bunch of courtiers. So, in addition to his shock over her death and having to help his sons, Charles had to engage in fighting to make sure his ex-wife was appropriately honored in death. It would've been far easier to shrug and say "whatever." My personal regard for him went way up in my eyes for doing what he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57

Old 01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

That was one of Simone Simmons' latest revelations in her new book...the one where she says Diana was with JFK Jr,...... I am inclined not to believe a word of it as, when questioned on the BBC about the accuracy of some of her statements, Ms. Simmons broke down and said she "never meant to hurt anyone" and wasn't "totally sure" of some of what she'd written. I think one book by Ms. Simmons was one book too many but two? I read it in an hour and it was gossipy and rehashes of things she'd written in Book 1. So, I attribute this particular "grading" thing to Ms. Simmon's (and her editors) desire to sell books. She's so distasteful to me now, I find writing her name grating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I can understand that during a bitter relationship breakdown many things are said in anger, but I don't think that commenting on "the wedding night" scores one any points.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
It's hard to believe that it was 24 years ago today that the "fairytale" wedding of Charles and Diana took place. Of course, as we all know, there was anything but a fairytale ending. But, in spite of all the fighting, the tears, the ugly rumours, the affairs etc., there were some good times, as I hope these pictures show ...

Photo Source for these 3 posts: Rex features/Alpha/Photographers International/Syndication International/Tim Graham/Jayne Fincher
I've just been browsing through these older threads. Erm I've never seen that photograph of Charles and Diana on the beach chair.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1122687066
Rather playful and er intimate moment *blush*:o . Btw Prince Charles doesn't have a half bad physique. edited to add-this could be the Cuban Egg Nog talking!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Courtier

I think both Charles and Diana misjudged each other's charater during the courtship. They realised things after the engagment and they had big worries about the marriage but neither was brave to call it off. They had good intentions about their marriage and made efforts to make the marriage work. But they failed everything. Both Charles and Diana were too weak to stick with the marriage and took lovers to satisfy their needs for love. So Charles had Camilla and Diana had James Hewitt and others.
It was better for them to remained civiled in the marriage until the sons grew up but Morton's reveal destoyed most of the hopes and the 1996 interview was the last straw.
It was a pity that the true influencial persons, Queen Mother, Queen, Camilla, Diana's father and Diana's grandmother, neither had the hindsight about this doomed marriage. Either of them was against the marriage and Charles may not propose Diana and there would be no engagement and no pain at all.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc
I think both Charles and Diana misjudged each other's charater during the courtship. .
that's the understatement of the year!
Old 01-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Commoner

happy times

from corbis

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana