The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Nobility

It's also possible that Charles did say something like that, but not necessarily in those exact words.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM
Royal Highness

I very much doubt Charles said those words.
When did Charles supposedly say them? Before or after Diana affairs?
Was it in 1989?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Just because there are pages and pages repeating the quote doesn't mean it actually happened as the source is still Diana - a notable liar
I agree with you, she was a liar, she made things up...(anything to make her a saint) ...and this one was definitely made up, if he said it as she said, where is the proof now that he's cheating on Camilla?

Also as for the Diana Chronicles, that book was Tina Brown giving her opinion on the entire tragedy (like many authors have done) ...really you actually believe Charles was incapable of thinking for himself so much that Camilla made him end his marriage? he ended it, no one but himself because he was miserable and wanted out like so many people do these days.

This was marriage was never going to work because it was built on a bad foundation, which the royal family should have realized and should have never made it happen. Charles was pressured and Diana was too young for it. Overall the couple were incompatible, it shouldn't have happened or should have ended earlier.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeyah View Post
This was marriage was never going to work because it was built on a bad foundation, which the royal family should have realized and should have never made it happen. Charles was pressured and Diana was too young for it. Overall the couple were incompatible, it shouldn't have happened or should have ended earlier.
With this statement, perhaps its best to let the marriage issues and the C/D/C triangle rest. During a time of marital discord, the parties involved can and do things that are normally out of character for them. If we only analyze Diana's facets during this time period, we're going to end up with an unbalanced, negative portrait of her.

Strange fact though is that if we discount the years of marriage, there is quite a small bit of time that Diana was in the public eye. Roughly about a year before her marriage to Charles and roughly about a year after her divorce was finalized. They formally separated in December of 1992 so we have about 3 1/2 years of separation until the final divorce.

The more I thought about it, the more I realize what a conundrum we're faced with here. We almost have to include the marriage years, the war of the Wales' and all things during that time period if we're going to discuss and understand everything we know about her. We cannot take other people's and author's quotes as fact as its mostly cases of "he said, she said, I heard and it looks like.." Reminds me of one book I read on Diana that used "a source high up" and "the well titled person close to" constantly in her work. The book was so filled with this you had to know you couldn't believe a word that was written.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
It's been quoted in several books, all published in notoriously tight on Libel laws UK. I am traveling for the next 10 days and away from my library, but Google is your friend. I just did a search with the key words and there are PAGES of hits on this quote. Would you like to rethink your statement ?
If we're going to accept that as the standard, than all of the negative things about Diana that have been published under the notoriously tight libel laws in the UK have to be accepted as fact, including allegations Diana was the first to cheat with Barry Manakee, had an affair with the married Will Carling, had major temper tantrums, threw items across the room, physically assaulted Charles, etc...
Old 03-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Majesty

We don't know much about Diana from people who were her contemporaries--the people who went to school with her or the people she worked with and for. This is the big missing gap. Other than Mary Robertson and the nanny who wrote about knowing Diana as a young girl, no-one has gone into much detail about her personality during her youth. We know that she was given an award for community service at school, that she excelled at swimming and diving, that she loved ballet and piano--but we don't know much about the everyday details of what she was like to live with in the dorm or what people in the Althorp area thought about her in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Strange fact though is that if we discount the years of marriage, there is quite a small bit of time that Diana was in the public eye. Roughly about a year before her marriage to Charles and roughly about a year after her divorce was finalized. They formally separated in December of 1992 so we have about 3 1/2 years of separation until the final divorce.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
If we're going to accept that as the standard, than all of the negative things about Diana that have been published under the notoriously tight libel laws in the UK have to be accepted as fact, including allegations Diana was the first to cheat with Barry Manakee, had an affair with the married Will Carling, had major temper tantrums, threw items across the room, physically assaulted Charles, etc...
I think the only people who know, who cheated on who first, is Charles and Diana. Diana is no longer here, so Charles knows. Everybody else can speculate.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the only people who know, who cheated on who first, is Charles and Diana. Diana is no longer here, so Charles knows. Everybody else can speculate.
Charles is the last person on earth though that I think would ever bring up or say anything negative about his first wife. He's moved on with his life, the boys have moved on with their lives and by now all memories that any of them retain and cherish are the good ones.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Charles is the last person on earth though that I think would ever bring up or say anything negative about his first wife. He's moved on with his life, the boys have moved on with their lives and by now all memories that any of them retain and cherish are the good ones.
I agree, everyone has moved on and remember the good and loving times and that's a beautiful thing.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I completely agree. If that was not true, Charles would not have made the sentimental gesture of wearing a suit that Diana favored to her funeral(the dark navy blue one) and he would not have continued to wear his wedding band, which he did until he married Camilla. He and Diana had slowly begun to repair their relationship and to build a friendship. If she had survived and recovered from her car crash injuries there is no doubt in my mind that he would have done everything in his power to help her. He is not a bad man, far from it.

And FWIW, according to Tina Brown part of the reason Camilla talked him out of returning to his marriage to Diana was because she knew it would ultimately make him miserable. And unfortunately, in that case she was right.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles was born in November 1948.
Diana was born in July 1961.
Charles was more than twelve years older than his wife.
Do you believe this age difference made it difficult for them as a married couple?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:58 PM
Majesty

I think the age difference could have been a minor factor that made the marriage more difficult but not the primary sole reason. I do believe that perhaps Diana had a more "fairy tale" concept on how she viewed being married to Charles would be though. Yes... there were three in that marriage. Charles the man, the Prince of Wales and Diana.
― John Lennon
Old 05-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Majesty

Diana was "old" for his years, and Diana was "young" for hers.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

Diana said a lot of negative things about Prince Charles, I imagine he could have said a lot of negative things about her, but chose not to do so. I imagine that there are probably things about her that have never been mentioned or brought to light that he could have said about her, but didn't. This I have to admire him for because it would be very difficult not to say anything, especially when you are the one on the receiving line of negative comments.

The age difference between the two was 12 years which isn't a big deal. My grandmother was 20 years old and my grandfather was 32 years old when they got married. They have a happy marriage.

It would be quite a transition for a 19 to 20 year old woman in general to marry someone who was an heir to the throne and have a child with a 12 month period. Not so much having a child but being married to the heir to a throne would be a major transition, even for someone who was royal or had royal blood.

Some 20 year old women would be able to handle this without having difficulties but they probably would have a maturity level of someone who was much older and most likely they would have had more life experiences than Diana had.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

He used his PR office to say many negative things about her. He didn't have to sully his hands. Their age difference wouldn't have made a difference if they loved one another and worked at it. She was immature, he was old for his years. They came from 2 different generations and had very little in common. And he, truly, loved another woman and still loves her, today. It is too bad he wasn't permitted to marry her then.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Has anyone seen the Diana movie with Naomi Watts? I saw tonight and it was OK... nothing spectacular.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
He used his PR office to say many negative things about her. He didn't have to sully his hands. Their age difference wouldn't have made a difference if they loved one another and worked at it. She was immature, he was old for his years. They came from 2 different generations and had very little in common. And he, truly, loved another woman and still loves her, today. It is too bad he wasn't permitted to marry her then.
The marriage was over in 1986. They should have separated and divorce in 1988.

It was the dragging of the marriage and the Morton book that caused the war of Wales.

fyi, Charles was never denied permission to marry Camilla. He was only 23 years old when they dated and not thinking about marriage.
Camilla was 25 years old and ready for marriage. They were two people at different points in their lives.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it was more a difference in personality than all about the age difference. You have Charles wanting to read Van der Post and listen to opera and then on the other hand Diana listening to pop music wanting to go swimming and play tennis. Charles loves Balmoral. Diana hated it, etc.

You see the opposite thing with William & Kate where they have many of the same shared interests. Taking Will's love for Aston Villa aside.

Camilla married Andrew Parker Bowles while Charles was still in the navy so it didn't get to asking the Queen's permission at that time.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Serene Highness

No matter how many times Diana's supporters post that Charles permitted his PR people to say negative things about Diana, it didn't happen. Even Andrew Morton admits that Charles told his PR people not to criticize Diana. There is even a scene in the 1993 movie based on Diana's book, written by Morton while he was in close contact with Diana, in which Charles is shown as rejecting advice from his PR people to go negative against Diana.

In response to this, at least one Diana fan will point out that one of Charles's friends, Nicholas Soames, did go public. However, Soames repeatedly said that Charles did not ask him to do so. Most royal reporters acknowledge that Charles's friends have told them that Charles asked them not to criticize Diana publicly.

The fact is that Diana's fans cannot justify her decision to publicly attack Charles, so they try and claim that Charles was equally responsible. It makes them feel better but it isn't true.

If you want to criticize Charles for having an affair--fine. But when you have to make up facts in order to criticize him, it just means that he can't have been that bad.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Has anyone seen the Diana movie with Naomi Watts? I saw tonight and it was OK... nothing spectacular.
I saw it and found it rather silly and boring.
It seemed more like one of those television movies than anything.

I'm just glad I didn't pay money to see that.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana