The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Would it have been possible for Princess Diana not to have divorced Prince Charles? Could she have kept a separate court? She would have remained in the Royal Family. She would have kept her children and her title as Princess of Wales.
IIRC Charles divorced Diana.

The Panorama interview was what prompted the Queen to "order" the divorce.

I think a big factor would have been how accepting the public would have been of Charles and Diana being legally married but living separate lives especially if it was known that they were in other relationships.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post

I think a big factor would have been how accepting the public would have been of Charles and Diana being legally married but living separate lives especially if it was known that they were in other relationships.
Once they had separated and their affairs were common knowledge, it was probably inevitable...

Old 01-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
During their separation, they basically had their own homes, their own staff, their own RPOs. The only thing that they really had jointly was their office which manages their "official" roles and events.

I don't think there would have been a need for a separate court during the separation.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 01-05-2019, 05:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
During their separation, they basically had their own homes, their own staff, their own RPOs. The only thing that they really had jointly was their office which manages their "official" roles and events.

I don't think there would have been a need for a separate court during the separation.
They were in essentially separate courts during their separation.. THey had their own staff... they lived separately. They did occasionally have some kind of engagement together but they were working separately.. and they had arrangements for who had the children, because they were separated. I think the queen hoped it could go on like that for a longer time.. I don't know if she had hopes that perhaps tehre might be some kind of reconciliation for the sake of the monarchy, but I think that both of them didn't want to wrok or be together ever again.. I think the queen stalled on the idea of divrorce because it would cause a fuss about Charles being future Head of the church, but in the end, she had to give in on their getting a divorce.. because the 2 of them were fighting in the papers, the war ws causing more damage to the Monarchy than a clean cut of divorce would do...
Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post

From 1992 until 1996 - during the period of the official separation it was well-known that they were both in other relationships.

The Queen had no choice but to order the divorce once Diana made the claims she made and the admission she made of committing adultery (and note the date that interviewed was screened - no accident there either - it was the Queen's wedding anniversary).

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana