Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do wonder how much their marriage troubles and all the drama left a scare on Harry compared to William. I agree that in part the marriage should not be so quick, or allowed to divorce quicker when it was clear they two clashed more than loved. Sadly I think this was an instance where Liz allowed the ghost of her uncle and Wallis drama to haunt her maybe too strongly.
I don’t think the Queen interfered much in their marital woes or knew much because I’m not sure if he actually discussed with his mother until post Panorama interview.

I don’t think the Queen interfered much in their marital woes or knew much because I’m not sure if he actually discussed with his mother until post Panorama interview.

Of course she knew. Diana was crying on her shloulder frequently and there were discussions prior to the separation with the queen trying to persuade them not to split up

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ry-desperate-ugly-divorce-Prince-Charles.html

Archive of Princess Diana's personal letters reveals her misery over 'desperate and ugly' divorce from Prince Charles - as they go under the hammer for an estimated ?90,000 with proceeds going to charity
Diana sought support from friends during her public split from Prince Charles
The 32 revealing letters are up for auction and are expected to sell for ?90,000.

In one revealing letter from April 28, 1996, Diana cancelled a trip to the opera due to the strain of her separation.

She wrote: 'I am having a very difficult time and pressure is serious and coming from all sides.

'It's too difficult sometimes to keep one's head up and today I am on my knees and just longing for this divorce to go through as the possible cost is tremendous.'

Last edited:
who is selling these letters? Would it not be better to keep them for some more years, and let Dian's memory rest in peace until say 50 years after her death

Another question to ponder, why now? Why put the letters up for sale just prior to the coronation? What does the seller have to gain, particularly if the proceeds are going to charity?

The answers are in the text of the article posted above.

From the article.

‘There are 32 letters and cards up for sale, written from late 1995 and throughout 1996 to her friends Susie and Tarek Kassem.

The couple are selling the letters because 'owning the documents is a great responsibility' that they did not wish to pass on to their children.

The Kassems have kept some of their more personal and confidential letters.

The letters will be sold individually and the proceeds will be donated to charities Diana supported. ‘

Why not pass that responsibility on next year, or in other years? Why not pass them on to her son's rather than sell them?

Why not pass that responsibility on next year, or in other years? Why not pass them on to her son's rather than sell them?

Imo they are selling them now before the Coronation because they were friends of Diana, there are many admirers of hers who will buy the letters and the couple want as much profit to go to the charities as possible.

They’ve obviously discussed it with their adult children and the children don’t want the responsibility. This couple, although I don’t know them, may well not want the responsibility in their own old age either.

From the article

The couple are selling the letters because 'owning the documents is a great responsibility' that they did not wish to pass on to their children.

I took it that when Asteria12 said
... Why not pass them on to her son's rather than sell them?

that didn't mean so much what indeed was i the article

From the article

but why the seller didn't give the letters back to Diana's sons.

which, if they really were friends of Diana's is a valid question

Imo they are selling them now before the Coronation because they were friends of Diana, there are many admirers of hers who will buy the letters and the couple want as much profit to go to the charities as possible.

They’ve obviously discussed it with their adult children and the children don’t want the responsibility. This couple, although I don’t know them, may well not want the responsibility in their own old age either.

From the article

Why, oh why, would the Daily Mail print such utter bilge? Better still, why do they continue to think anyone, either pro or anti Diana believers would believe that the onerous weight of the "Responsibility" of owning them was too great and forcing them to put them up for auction. Are we really expected to believe that the sale of a unique and intimately personal collection of letters is not first and foremost to ferment anger, hatred, pain and humiliation for the BRF and not an insignificant amount of money as the collection is broken up and the letters sold singly That amount could be even larger if someone bids on every single one in an effort to reassemble the collection.

This auction is designed to cause as much pain and suffering to the BRF and within this onerous problem, the feelings of Diana's sons William and Harry are worth nothing. Not their pain, not their anger, not their humiliation as they endure yet another action replay of the hardest time in their life, culminating as it did, with their mother's death. All churned up again in time for the Coronation, the sacrifice of their happiness in pursuit of money is abominable for the letters would fetch a tidy sum any time but at this time, timed as it is before the coronation, the Auction House will be releasing information from every single letter so those prospective buyers will know precisely what they are bidding for.

If they think that Diana's sons and family will thank them, they are as deluded as the Daily Mail is for stirring the pot. If the Kassem's think that Diana herself would thank them for the torment and pain that her sons have already suffered, and now it seems are doomed to repeat yet again, they are equally deluded, but I believe they are well aware of what they are doing and the knock-on effects, but the money and notoriety must be worth it.

I took it that when Asteria12 said

that didn't mean so much what indeed was i the article

but why the seller didn't give the letters back to Diana's sons.

which, if they really were friends of Diana's is a valid question

That is indeed what I meant! :flowers:

The Fail article also mentions that "The Kassems have kept some of their more personal and confidential letters." Perhaps they will alleviate their feelings of great responsibility by at least passing those on to William and Harry?

From the article

what responsibility? If they are that big a problem, the simplest thing would be to give them to William

That is indeed what I meant! :flowers:

The Fail article also mentions that "The Kassems have kept some of their more personal and confidential letters." Perhaps they will alleviate their feelings of great responsibility by at least passing those on to William and Harry?

I doubt it, I suspect they'll hold onto them, for a while longer and sell them for themselves....

I doubt it, I suspect they'll hold onto them, for a while longer and sell them for themselves....

Probably.
So many people claim to do this or that for charity; in the end they donate a miniscule amount of the money and profit from the rest.

well quite ludicirous to claim that they are selling them because of the awesome responsibility of keeping them. They have had them for 25 years and more. If they really dont want to keep them, the place to put them is with Diana's sons (well William) or to have them securely stored away until 50 year or so have passed and then they can be released for historians to read.

Back
Top Bottom