The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-25-2017, 04:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Even if she adored her family homelife there would have been very little in terms of a suitable job for her locally and London was where all her peers hung out. The country was for weekends.

Sharing with three other girls she was experiencing young independant adulthood - the next phase in life - and holding down a job which may not have been the best paid but was suplimented with the rent from her roomates so making her own money. She had her own car so I imagine felt fully independant. And at that age what more could you want! For then.
what on earth girl of 17 or 18 doesn't want to be independent and live away from her family???

Old 07-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
so why did she date several men who had no titles...
Sure , she dated a few guys and they were friends within the circle she ran in. She also kept her distance from them as far as getting overly romantically involved. Nothing was a serious relationship.

I just think that if Charles didn't come along when he did, this MO would have continued for quite a while with her finding some kind of serious relationship and marriage down the line perhaps into her mid-late 20s. Whom she dated and eventually married probably wouldn't have mattered to her as she matured but at 19, to be paid attention to and courted by the Prince of Wales most likely did go to her head. Charles, at the time, was the most eligible bachelor.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt Diana would have gotten married in her late 20's, women around her seemed to be married by 22-24; how old were her mother and sisters when they married? Honestly it seemed that all that was left for Diana and girls like her at the time was marriage.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
what on earth girl of 17 or 18 doesn't want to be independent and live away from her family???
Unless they are going away to college, many young women of 17 or 18 do not choose to live away from their families even now. I certainly did not, and my parents would have freaked if I'd even tried to move away from them at that age.

Women of Diana's social class and era(70's to early 80's) were raised to marry and more importantly to marry well. Also it would have been considered unthinkable for a young woman of Diana's position-titled Lady, very young, daughter of an Earl-to live with someone outside of marriage. It would have even been frowned on for the 30 year old PoW at that time.

Lord Spencer is said to have only very reluctantly permitted Diana $$ from her trust to buy her own flat in London after she turned 18, and only on the condition that she get flatmates.

Diana had left her Swiss finishing school vowing that she was done with her formal education for good, so her parents' options about what to do with her at that point were dwindling.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Majesty

I think older teen (graduated) children living with their families is very much the norm in some cultures ...probably less so in the US now days although in the past much more common. That said, I think it's making a comeback to some degree though.

LaRae
Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I doubt Diana would have gotten married in her late 20's, women around her seemed to be married by 22-24; how old were her mother and sisters when they married? Honestly it seemed that all that was left for Diana and girls like her at the time was marriage.
Jane was 21, Sarah was 25 when they married Robert and Neil. Her mother was 18 when she married Diana's father.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
Charles never should have messed around in his twenties. He wasted valuable time and he could have married someone he had something in common with and Diana would have found someone who could have handled her energy and it was a mess. Telling someone to sow their oats and then find a good wife is bad advice all around.
Given that Charles knew he had to marry and have children, and that his wife had to be a certain kind of girl, yours would have been good advice. It probably would have given him the best chance at a truly happy, or at least stable, marriage. If Charles had been a more mature, less diffident man when he was, say, 24 or 25, he might have made a concerted effort to find a suitable young woman in her early 20s with whom he also shared some common interests and they hopefully could have grown together. A 25 or 26 year old man marrying a 22 or 23 year old woman is a much different scenario than a 30 year old marrying a teenager. Unfortunately by the time Charles was 30 women closer to his own age were either married or no longer "suitable" to marry him.

In retrospect Charles and Diana were so obviously mismatched on so many levels it's hard to believe either family allowed the marriage to take place. But I suppose they thought the worst case scenario was that they might have the sort of upper class marriage where each partner, (after children), was free to discreetly live their own life.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't see why Charles shouldn't have dated around in his 20s. I think it's better for both men and women to act like fools in their 20s before they get married. I think there are many people who don't think about marriage in their 20's. Plus Charles apparently found girls in his 20s he proposed to but they turned him down.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Majesty

One thing we have to keep in mind is that Charles was in active military (Navy) service until Decenber 1976. Being in the service can sometimes really put a damper on relationships and we only have to look as far as Andrew and Sarah for confirmation of this.

So, if we take the time between 1977 and the actual date of the marriage in 1981, it leaves about 4 1/2 years to get out there and find himself a bride. From what I've read, he dated quite a few women that may have been "suitable" but nothing really came of the relationships for various reasons.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't see why Charles shouldn't have dated around in his 20s. I think it's better for both men and women to act like fools in their 20s before they get married. I think there are many people who don't think about marriage in their 20's. Plus Charles apparently found girls in his 20s he proposed to but they turned him down.
For normal people true. And now for royals like his sons. A 32 year old Harry can marry a woman in her 30s.

Unfortunately Charles was expected to marry a virginal aristocrat. The older he got, the larger the age difference was going to get. Not impossible to find someone you are compatible with that has large age difference, Mathilde and Philippe come to mind, but hard especially with such restrictions. At 25 he was more likely to find a virginal wife with shared goals and interests, then in his thirties.

Thankfully the rules change. Can we imagine Harry finding such a bride? He may have to go younger then his dad. To find a wife with no romantic history now a days would be slim pickings over certain age.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Sarah was the only woman to marry a man fairly close in age to herself (four years difference). Jane's husband is 16 years older. Diana's father was 12 years older than her mother. In those circumstances, marrying a man 13 years older wouldn't have seemed that unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Jane was 21, Sarah was 25 when they married Robert and Neil. Her mother was 18 when she married Diana's father.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

It isn't years so much is it though, Mermaid. Sometimes you can get a remarkably mature and grounded 21 years old marrying a very young for their age 30 year old, and vice versa. Some people are very old for their age at 25, (going on 50) some never grow up.

I think Jane and Robert Fellowes were probably on the same wavelength and were both mature. That wasn't the case with Frances Shand and Johnny Spencer. Difficulties come when you get someone who at 32 has always had an oldfashioned outlook on life marrying a 20 year old who was very young for her age. Also, whatever age they were there was very very little in common in hobbies, friends, pastimes, world views, tastes in books, tastes in music...need I go on!
Old 07-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Majesty

When it comes to a marriage, there's no set equation that can guarantee an ideal match. Age doesn't figure into it as success or failure option. A marriage is two individual people going into a partnership and becoming an "us". It takes work. It takes compromise. It takes a whole lot of "I love you but I don't like you much right now" days. It takes dealing with the ups and downs of life together. It takes communication and sacrifices and sometimes thinking of the other partner first. The "I do" of a wedding isn't a magic spell.

Diana and Charles never had a good solid footing on which to start a marriage to begin with. It looked good on paper but sadly, a marriage isn't based on pedigree like the mating of horses and dogs. Charles and Diana never got to the point of being close, intimate friends before deciding to tackle life together. They hoped though that it would grow to that point sometime after marriage. It didn't happen. They were two different personalities that never really found much common ground between them except when it came to raising their two boys. They were on the same page on that and it shows.

Some marriages, even those based on a close intimate friendship at the very beginning can sometimes fail. People don't stagnate but grow and unless the couple work at growing together, over the years they can gradually go down different roads and no longer identify with each other and the marriage ends.
What works for one couple may spell doom for another.

This is a reason why I believe Charles' statement in the Dimbleby book that he returned to Camilla "after the marriage had irretrievably broken down, us both having tried." He doesn't blame Diana. He doesn't blame himself. He blames the both of them just not being able to make a go of it. I do sincerely believe that sometimes in a marriage, the best way to show love for a partner and to do the best for their happiness, you let them go to be able to find in life what they're looking for and what makes them happy and fulfilled. Its a mature attitude.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
her sisters were around ealry to mid 20s I think an d her mother was only 19 or so. but I don't know what you mean.. all that was left for her?? that was her career and their career. They were reared to marry early and run big houses, help iwht charity work, dabble in the arts..
I tink she would have married aorund early 20s had she not met Charles. but of course, having met him, and attracted him and been in love with him, she was going to wish for an early marriage and so was he.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
For normal people true. And now for royals like his sons. A 32 year old Harry can marry a woman in her 30s.

Unfortunately Charles was expected to marry a virginal aristocrat. The older he got, the larger the age difference was going to get.
Is it really true that Charles was expected to marry a "virginal aristocrat" ? I suspect that there were lots of non-virginal aristocrats who would be considered suitable to marry the PoW had they shown any interest in him and vice-versa. I also think there is a tendency to exaggerate in general the constraints that were allegedly placed on the PoW's acceptable bridal picks (we're taking about the 1970s here, not the 1870s !).

The bottom line I am trying to convey is that, ultimately, Charles married Diana because, for some reason, he chose to do it, not because he was forced to do it , or because, if he hadn't married her, he would not have married anyone else.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When it comes to a marriage, there's no set equation that can guarantee an ideal match. Age doesn't figure into it as success or failure option.
, you let them go to be able to find in life what they're looking for and what makes them happy and fulfilled. Its a mature attitude.
Exactly true. There isn't really a guarantee for a happy marriage.. It helps if a couple have a reasonable amount in common, are not too far apart in age or class.. who have a fair amount of similarity in their outlook.. but there are marriages that wok in spite of a lot of differences. and theire are people who seem ideally suited.. who fall out of love or never get into deeper love.. from a

Or people who have a lot in common as young couples, often grow apart as they get to middle age.. their interests change, their outlooks change with getting older etc.
Diana and Charles had very little in common, interest wise. Their outlooks and temperaments were pretty different. She was a young for her age girl, he was an old fashioned, romantic reactionary who liked older people's company.. but other relationships have worked iwht a big age gap or a class gap. a lot of it was that they did try, but IMO they didn't try quite hard enough.. and they were so very different that trying was very much rowing against the current for them.
There were other problems...Diana's difficulties at adjusting to royal life and the RF.. and the press's and public's crazy chasing after her.. which set off some jealously in Charles..
IMO it would have been stranger had their marriage succeeded...but that does not mean that there' aren't other couples with a big age gap who COULD make such a marriage work.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is entirely possible that Charles was expected to marry an aristocrat. However, neither Anne, nor Andrew, nor Edward ( the latter much later though) married aristocrats, nor did incidentally the Duke of Gloucester, but all those marriages were approved by the Queen. I have no reason to believe that the Queen would have objected to Charles marrying a commoner if the bride were suitable and Charles insisted on it.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Majesty

The difference between the Prince of Wales and his younger siblings is that he was, in all probability, going to be king some day. By the time Andrew got married, there were already two new direct heirs to the throne, making Andrew fourth in line and unlikely to be king. When Edward married, after three divorces in the Royal Family, there was a world of difference. Most people seemed to be happy that he was marrying someone whom he really had a chance to get to know.

Off the top of my head, there was probably an idea that a royal bride who was an aristocrat would be more ready to assume the duties--both public and household-related, that being the Princess of Wales required. The thinking might have been that a girl who grew up in the Big House on an estate and went to finishing school would be capable socially and know how to oversee a staff.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The difference between the Prince of Wales and his younger siblings is that he was, in all probability, going to be king some day. By the time Andrew got married, there were already two new direct heirs to the throne, making Andrew fourth in line and unlikely to be king. When Edward married, after three divorces in the Royal Family, there was a world of difference. Most people seemed to be happy that he was marrying someone whom he really had a chance to get to know.

Off the top of my head, there was probably an idea that a royal bride who was an aristocrat would be more ready to assume the duties--both public and household-related, that being the Princess of Wales required. The thinking might have been that a girl who grew up in the Big House on an estate and went to finishing school would be capable socially and know how to oversee a staff.

Again, I don't disagree that his family would prefer him to marry an aristocrat with the characteristics that you pointed above. What I doubt is that the Queen would have rejected any bridal candidate picked by Charles solely on the grounds that she was not an aristocrat. In other words, I believe that being an aristocrat was desirable, but I don't think the Queen ever considered it a necessary condition for someone to marry Charles.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 PM
Majesty

Yes, you're probably right. The Queen seems to be a reasonable woman.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana