The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2017, 02:46 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing we can never do is presume what Charles was thinking.

All we have to really go by is the material in the book that Diana supposedly fed to Morton. What is real and what isn't real we'll never know as Diana isn't here to let us know where her mind was, defend her statements or retract them even.

I can empathize with her with what she was going through with Charles but, as I said, I also experienced quite a "fringe lunatic" mindset towards my ex-husband when the marriage was falling apart and doomed to be resolved in a divorce court. I'm not even sure I can state that "my story" if written back then would really reflect my person as a whole.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

but a lot of what is said about Charles, now, is based on What Diana said.. and I think it is reasonable, to speculate on how true it is. Otherwise we are to believe that he was so heartless that he didn't care tuppence when she threw herself down stairs while pregnant.
And there is No doubt that she did tell this stuff to Morton, IMO much of it wasn't true.. and was caused by her being so unhappy and angry at the time. So since Morton has had his money out of it, I think very badly of him for re publishing it, and making more money out of the outpourings of an unhappy and mixed up woman who was vulnerable and is now dead..
As you say, what is sadi at times like this, doesn't always reflect the person as they really are.. it reflects their unhappy moods.
but I do feel that yes Diana had grievances, and she clearly was very unhappy when she made the tapes and did the book.. but as you say, a lot fo people have bad marraiges, and see their partners in a very negative light.. so is it fair of them to publicly air those grievances in such a way that it may severely damage the partners reputation?

Old 06-30-2017, 02:16 AM
Majesty

The best thing is to remember that what is in the Morton book is how Diana perceived Charles to be at the time. Doesn't make it true. That's why its called HER True Story in the title.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of couse it is not true, that's my point. but people DO believe it, some of them take it for gospel.. and while I am fond of Diana I do feel ti was very unfair of her, however unhappy she was, to make a public attack on C in this way.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Majesty

No doubt about it they both behaved badly when their marriage started to fall apart. Plenty of blame to be shared.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Majesty

That, m'friend, is exactly what the majority of the people thought after finding out for sure after Diana died that she was very much involved with the content of the Morton book. When it was first released, people ate it up as the "inside sources" were relating what was going on in the Wales' marriage and thinking "Poor Diana".

After the second release with Diana's prime involvement becoming factual, I think people started seeing Diana differently. Many people that hadn't heard of or read the Morton book when it was first released were interested in then because Diana had almost overnight become a larger than life icon struck down in the prime of her life in a horrific way. I, myself, had never seen or really heard much about the Panorama interview until I joined here in 2008.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Majesty

I watched the Charles and Diana wedding (I was around 16 I think) and after that didn't really pay much attention to the BRF for quite some time ..maybe 10 or so years later I started paying attention to them again...not long before the book came out.

THE book...it was quite shocking in it's details and myself I had no idea she was involved and considered it was probably like the tabloid stories and not as much truth to it.

After more and more was known...I started to realize things were quite a mess and there was more truth to the book. Now Dr Phil says something along the lines of it's their perception of what went on, it's their truth how they saw it. Because you don't see it as the truth doesn't negate how they viewed it or if they are right or not.

I think this is the case here....this was mostly Diana's version of how she saw things...and therefore to understand it you need to look at things thru her viewpoint....and in all fairness the same applies to Charles and his view.

I watch the Panorama program as it happened ...(and I saw Charles's interview also). Honestly I have more sympathy to Diana (in some things) simply because I think it was badly done of him to ask him to marry her considering everything we know.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Majesty

You know what they say about the road to hell....well Charles learned that one.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Majesty

... and had to walk it barefoot it seems at times too.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Majesty

Permanent scars I'd say.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
You know what they say about the road to hell....well Charles learned that one. LaRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
... and had to walk it barefoot it seems at times too.
Quote:
Permanent scars I'd say. LaRae
Yep. And it's never really over for him. Sadly, the sons he loves are not his support.

What a lesson: consider well who you marry! Listen well, my children, to this story, of a Princeling long ago, who took a maiden for to marry......who could have predicted all the woe!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:14 PM
Majesty

I have always gotten the impression the boys supported Charles and had a good relationship with him.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have always gotten the impression the boys supported Charles and had a good relationship with him. LaRae
Not if one follows the breadcrumbs. It's the great unsaid. Very sad.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Majesty

Hmmm I haven't seen that and I'm usually pretty good at body language and catching things.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Majesty

Again, I think there's is something at play here. To the public eye and the press, what is seen is the boy's relationship with their father, The Prince of Wales. In private, that's where the closeness probably shines with the relationship between father and sons.

Bearing the scars from everything and anything splashed all over the tabloids of what was going down in the private lives, do we really blame them for keeping a lid on their private relationships with each other? I believe these people are a lot closer with each other than what we actually see and hear.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

This is from Penny Junor's book. She spoke to many of Charles and Camilla's circle and has spoken on many occasions to Charles and to Camilla herself, so she knows quite a bit about them.
She herself notes that 'Discussions about their mother between the Princes and their father had always been very difficult'. She quotes a friend of Harry and William about it and no doubt believes his statement to be true or she wouldn't have put it in the biography.

'There is no doubt they' (W and H) ' love their father but from everything I've seen he is a complex man and difficult to be the son of sometimes, and his reactions to things aren't always as elevated as we might want them to be. Anything to do with their mother is really tricky. Their sensitivity about being seen to say anything about their mother is very noticeable. 'Talk about our mother? Oh God, we don't talk enough about our dad!'

'They are very careful of Charles's sensitivities and dance around them a lot. Like at the service'. (The tenth anniversary memorial service for Diana, where people have noted seeing that Charles looks over Harry's written tribute to his mother when he greets him.)

The friend remarks 'He, Charles, was very sensitive about where he sat and what it said.'

That memorial service was to bring together the Spencers and the royals, two sides that had been divided since Diana's death. Junor notes that Charles 'made a meal of the seating arrangements via his aide Michael Peat' (raising various objections.) William gave up but Harry said 'F... this!' and phoned his father. He said 'Right dad, you're sitting here, someone else is sitting there...blah, blah. Are you happy?' 'Oh Yes' Charles said. 'I suppose so'. ' William sat with his father at the service, Harry with the Spencers, opposite.

Now that portion of the latest bio from Penny Junor 'The Duchess' shows that there is some creeping about on eggshells going on in Charles and William and Harry's family relationship and it's Charles who's cracking the eggs. If this is coming from one of Charles and Camilla's greatest supporters, Penny Junor, heaven knows what really goes on!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
This is from Penny Junor's book. She spoke to many of Charles and Camilla's circle and has spoken on many occasions to Charles and to Camilla herself, so she knows quite a bit about them.
She herself notes that 'Discussions about their mother between the Princes and their father had always been very difficult'. She quotes a friend of Harry and William about it and no doubt believes his statement to be true or she wouldn't have put it in the biography.

'There is no doubt they' (W and H) ' love their father but from everything I've seen he is a complex man and difficult to be the son of sometimes, and his reactions to things aren't always as elevated as we might want them to be. Anything to do with their mother is really tricky. Their sensitivity about being seen to say anything about their mother is very noticeable. 'Talk about our mother? Oh God, we don't talk enough about our dad!'

'They are very careful of Charles's sensitivities and dance around them a lot. Like at the service'. (The tenth anniversary memorial service for Diana, where people have noted seeing that Charles looks over Harry's written tribute to his mother when he greets him.)

The friend remarks 'He, Charles, was very sensitive about where he sat and what it said.'

That memorial service was to bring together the Spencers and the royals, two sides that had been divided since Diana's death. Junor notes that Charles 'made a meal of the seating arrangements via his aide Michael Peat' (raising various objections.) William gave up but Harry said 'F... this!' and phoned his father. He said 'Right dad, you're sitting here, someone else is sitting there...blah, blah. Are you happy?' 'Oh Yes' Charles said. 'I suppose so'. ' William sat with his father at the service, Harry with the Spencers, opposite.

Now that portion of the latest bio from Penny Junor 'The Duchess' shows that there is some creeping about on eggshells going on in Charles and William and Harry's family relationship and it's Charles who's cracking the eggs. If this is coming from one of Charles and Camilla's greatest supporters, Penny Junor, heaven knows what really goes on!
It's no secret that Charles isn't an easy character. And walking on eggshells around things like seating arrangements is something that's familiar to many children of divorced parents - this situation being compounded by the fact that the parents are who they are and one of them is dead!

William and Harry have both spoken highly about their father in the past, though, and he seems to get on quite well with Kate. Hopefully they'll all keep making an effort to overcome any issues they may have.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would imagine that it was bound to be difficult, the 2007 service with the Spencers being present, and the row over Camilla going.
however i'm surprised that the boys are "dancing arournd" with what they say about their mother In public.. as it seems to me that they talk about her quite a lot.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, there have been changes I would guess in the last couple of years. Maybe the brothers have just got sick of the dancing around the subject. However, I think Charles's sensitivities still have to be considered.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would say they have talked about her quite a bit over the years, long before now. However, he is their father and even if he is a bit prickly, I think that they love him and it is right that they take his feelings into account. he is paying for a lot of their lifestyle after all.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana