Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know why it's all being raked up again. It was a long time ago. Diana's been dead for 25 years. If she and Charles had been any other couple, they would probably have divorced in the mid-1980s and then been free to see whomever they liked. What's done is done.

Majesty
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif

I think Peters told Charles that he suspected an affair. I don’t believe he had any actual proof.

This debate about who cheated first in the Charles/Diana marriage has been going on for nearly thirty years to my knowledge! Certainly I have no doubts myself that Diana was treating Mannakee as a confidante while her marriage was first going pear-shaped, while he probably responded sympathetically to an increasingly unhappy and an attractive young woman.

After all she wasn?t the first and no doubt won?t be the last royal woman to become close to a RPO while experiencing a miserable marriage. Princess Anne anyone? Which is why both men were officially moved out of their orbits by superior officers.

However, Diana actually sleeping with Mannakee? I have my doubts, and no solid evidence of adultery between the couple has come out in the decades since including Peters? statements Eden has produced. Plus Peters (and Eden) seem to have forgotten the opportunities for emotional dalliance Charles had with his ex mistress Camilla during hunt meets with the Belvoir right from the first years of his marriage.

What did Pres Carter once say about marital fidelity, something about feeling lust and committing adultery in his heart, I believe?

I don't know why it's all being raked up again.

It is probably done, to clean Prince Charles from any allegations, that he was a cold hearted husband towards Diana...

At least for me it worked. That is, why I brought it up here in the Forums. But as so many pointed out here, it is more gossip than proven fact.

I mean, for me personally the question "who cheated first" is of big importance. That surely says more about me, than the marriage of Diana and Charles, but it is an important step to cheat...

Majesty
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif

I think Peters told Charles that he suspected an affair. I don’t believe he had any actual proof.

I find it unusual that Mannakee would be pulled from his position, simply from fact they appeared to get along well, or had a pleasing chemistry between them. On the other hand if Diana was known to be smitten by him, that is more of a problem.

Last edited:
there was obviously something. But it is a big no no for an RPO to get involved with the woman he is there to protect. So even if there was just some flirting or some signs that Barry was getting a bit out of hand, or too familiar it would be enough to get him transferred

It is probably done, to clean Prince Charles from any allegations, that he was a cold hearted husband towards Diana...

At least for me it worked. That is, why I brought it up here in the Forums. But as so many pointed out here, it is more gossip than proven fact.

I mean, for me personally the question "who cheated first" is of big importance. That surely says more about me, than the marriage of Diana and Charles, but it is an important step to cheat...

they were both unhappy within a fairly short time.. once Will and Harry were toddlers, their parents were at odds and unhappy. Diana probalby turned to Barry M for some kind of easy friendly affection that she and Charles didn't seem able to give each other.. and he had never lost his feelings for Camilla.

I don't know why it's all being raked up again. It was a long time ago. Diana's been dead for 25 years. If she and Charles had been any other couple, they would probably have divorced in the mid-1980s and then been free to see whomever they liked. What's done is done.

Diana is now an historical figure and her life will be dissected for the rest of time.

The idea that we let her 'rest in peace' doesn't work when so many historical figures aren't allowed to 'rest in peace' but have their lives dissected and new 'information' discovered all the time.

Not really because Amanda K didn't want to marry charles. I dont think she would have allowed herself to be talked into it.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Amanda was open to the idea, up until the moment Mountbatten was killed and she recognized the negative aspects of life in the RF.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Amanda was open to the idea, up until the moment Mountbatten was killed and she recognized the negative aspects of life in the RF.
I dont know much about her but I beleive her mother said that therre was "no spark", Perhaps she considered it as an arranged marriage, she was fond of Charles, she knew him well.. but in the end, she didnt really want to marry iwthouit love and she didn't fancy a public life all that much. So I dont think she would have let herself be persauded.

I don't get the impression that Amanda was interested. She'd known Charles all her life - I know some people marry family friends or even cousins, but I think she thought of him like an older brother, nothing romantic.

I don't get the impression that Amanda was interested. She'd known Charles all her life - I know some people marry family friends or even cousins, but I think she thought of him like an older brother, nothing romantic.

Agree. I dont think she thought of it all that serously and when Lord M was killed she really did not like the idea of a public life....

HEAR HEAR HEAR!!Well said,and,absolutely true!!Next!:flowers:

HEAR HEAR HEAR!!Well said,and,absolutely true!! Next!

:xmasbell:

Another way to look at it.. is no one is actually forced to read posts which bring a degree of discomfort. Some years back, there was the option not to click on a particular topic...

:xmasbell:

Another way to look at it.. is no one is actually forced to read posts which bring a degree of discomfort. Some years back, there was the option not to click on a particular topic...

its not a matter of discomfort.. but some feel that the marraige is long long in the past, and its been discusssed over and over again.. and why drag up Diana's faults or Charles' faults at this stage?

This most recent ‘bringing up’ was a story that Diana cheated first- and in a pregnancy year- and the once-more-repeated declaration that Charles and Camilla, although desperately in love for decades, abstained from their affair for years, until Diana gave them an excuse.

It’s a situation in which people chose to defend Diana, not a situation where someone just wanted to degrade Charles and Camilla’s reputation.

This most recent ‘bringing up’ was a story that Diana cheated first- and in a pregnancy year- and the once-more-repeated declaration that Charles and Camilla, although desperately in love for decades, abstained from their affair for years, until Diana gave them an excuse.

It’s a situation in which people chose to defend Diana, not a situation where someone just wanted to degrade Charles and Camilla’s reputation.
well we dont know who stepped out first... I think it was inevitable that both of them would look to other people. I dont think that Diana had a full blown affair with Manakee, but I do think that she was flirting with him, and was attracted.. but the situation was clamped down on. Diana herself gave different times as to when the affair with Camilla re started - sometimes she said it was soon after Harry was born, other times it was in between the 2 children.. And she did say herself that she fell in love with Manakee, and that "it was found out".. so there was clearly something.

its not a matter of discomfort.. but some feel that the marraige is long long in the past, and its been discusssed over and over again.. and why drag up Diana's faults or Charles' faults at this stage?

As with any type of shaky marriage there were bound to be a variety of faults, but it's doubtful everyone and their uncle is casting aspersions on whoever at this point. In the program above, they depict Diana holding a kind of upper hand, granting the divorce and especially the size of the settlement terms.. impressive if she had that kind of power in the proceedings.

Last edited:
She did up to a point.. in that they were fed up with her esp after Panorama and were keen to get the divorce done and settled.. since they clearly could not trust Diana not to go on going public. So I think that she stalled and asked for a LOT of money, and was determined to get the best deal that she could get. However, of course the queen has powers, and could do things like ensure that Diana lost her HRH..
So while Diana did hold some cards as regards getting the money, she was still liable to lose privileges that the queen could bestow or take away

Last edited:
The whole who cheated first is a futile exercise, IMO. And, it takes away from the actual problem. Charles and Diana weren't a happy couple where both slipped. They had problems that went far beyond mere cheating.

From my perspective as someone who has had a first row seat to living with someone with mental health issues, I doubt Charles even held Diana's infidelity against her this much, even if "she did it first". His issues with her were from another sort altogether. Their life was far from normal long before anyone cheated. It was vastly unfulfilling for both.

The whole who cheated first is a futile exercise, IMO. And, it takes away from the actual problem. Charles and Diana weren't a happy couple where both slipped. They had problems that went far beyond mere cheating.

From my perspective as someone who has had a first row seat to living with someone with mental health issues, I doubt Charles even held Diana's infidelity against her this much, even if "she did it first". His issues with her were from another sort altogether. Their life was far from normal long before anyone cheated. It was vastly unfulfilling for both.

Of course it was.. but its possible that he felt that her relationship with Manakee, coupled with her depression adn bulimia, really meant in essence that the marriage was beyond saving... so he could turn to another woman because he knew that he and Diana coould not get things on the right track, ever

In the mid-1980s, it was still unthinkable that the Prince and Princess of Wales should divorce. So they were going to have to work together somehow. There's a long history of royal and aristocratic couples remaining married whilst leading separate lives, but it was always going to get awkward once the media learnt of their other relationships. And, because of their position, they were still going to have to make a lot of public appearances together, go on tours abroad, welcome visiting heads of state, etc. I don't know what they thought was going to happen.

True. Because Di was so popular, also there was more interest in the couple than if they had been Anne and her husband. I think that on some level they or tat least Charles felt that the only way they could go was to quietly lead separate lives, and if they took lovers to find someone ultra discreet. so he may have felt that he and Camilla could manage to keep an affair quiet....

Diana is now an historical figure and her life will be dissected for the rest of time.

The idea that we let her 'rest in peace' doesn't work when so many historical figures aren't allowed to 'rest in peace' but have their lives dissected and new 'information' discovered all the time.

I agree and considering that in the past few years starting in 2017 with the 20th anniversary of her passing along with the televised and film stories relating to her life, there is a renewed interest in the late Diana, Princess of Wales. An entire generation has been born and grown to adulthood in the years since her death, so for many of them, this is the first time many have had heard of these stories. . The findings of the inquiry into the Panorama Interview also revealed the background into how Diana was manipulated into participating in it and so again this brings a fresh perspective for longtime and newer royal watchers.

The Tudors and Plantagenets routinely have documentaries, films and television series produced about them so I don't expect that the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

I agree and considering that in the past few years starting in 2017 with the 20th anniversary of her passing along with the televised and film stories relating to her life, there is a renewed interest in the late Diana, Princess of Wales. An entire generation has been born and grown to adulthood in the years since her death, so for many of them, this is the first time many have had heard of these stories. . The findings of the inquiry into the Panorama Interview also revealed the background into how Diana was manipulated into participating in it and so again this brings a fresh perspective for longtime and newer royal watchers.

The Tudors and Plantagenets routinely have documentaries, films and television series produced about them so I don't expect that the late Diana, Princess of Wales.
I blame the Crown.....

I blame the Crown.....

If there ever were a series that needed a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode, it would be 'The Crown' (assuming you did indeed mean the Netflix series). It should say, "Not based on history, not based on fact, but the use of historical characters' names." Unfortunately, I could not finish watching it as it was too fictional for my taste and, at times, even ridiculous.

I would also like to mention that since Diana's 20th anniversary of her death, there was a significant uptick in forum threads and posts and one of the reasons it drew me here. However, since the pandemic, it seems to have died down. I would check every day, and no bold high-lighted posts had appeared. So for a while, I was disappointed, but then I realized that there was no new news after the unveiling of her statue.

Millions still love her and miss her, and in our lifetime, we won't forget her. My point is that we will probably go over different aspects and events in her life. We will discuss it, define it, but also give our opinions. So, yes...may she rest in peace, but I like to think she is up there looking down on this and thinking it is all quite exciting and, in some cases, hilarious.

Several posts have been removed as they were off topic to the thread and speculative. Further posts along those lines will also be removed.

A reminder that the rules of these forums prohibit speculative or insulting posts, and off topic posts are always subject to removal.

Let's move on.

I saw a comment in a newspaper letters page today from someone saying that they would never feel loyalty to Camilla as their loyalty would always be to Diana, "the true Queen-in-waiting", as if they were saying that they'd never swear allegiance to William of Orange rather than James II, or Napoleon rather than the Bourbons, or George Washington rather than George III. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but I do find that idea difficult to get my head round. Charles and Diana's marriage did not work out, and they got divorced. No-one staged a coup or an invasion. But, as I said, each to their own.

The wife of an Earl is a Countess. The wife of a Prince is a Princess. The wife of a Baron is a Baroness. The wife of King is a Queen.

The first wife of the Earl Spencer was the Countess Spencer.
The second wife of the Earl Spencer was the Countess Spencer.
The third wife of the Earl Spencer is the Countess Spencer.

There is no judgement on character, morality, religion, previous relationships, whatever. They are what they are: the married female spouse of a Peer or of a royal.

Last edited:
The wife of an Earl is a Countess. The wife of a Prince is a Princess. The wife of a Baron is a Baroness. The wife of King is a Queen.

There is no judgement on character, morality, religion, previous relationships, whatever. They are what they are: the married female spouse of a Peer or of a royal.

To add to this, it should be noted that the titles of wives are do not denote that they *hold* the title. They're "courtesy titles" extended to the spouse of the peer or royal that actually holds them.

Exactly. It's no different to a woman who marries Mr John Smith being entitled to call herself Mrs Smith.

Back
Top Bottom