The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
As they are humans, they have different personalities so different ways to express their love. At least I'm happy that Diana was soon enough aware of Charles not loving her to find somebody else that could give her what she wanted.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala22 View Post
Diana was a wonderful Princess of Wales, irreplaceable and precious, however there's no way I'll ever believe she really loved Prince Charles.
We will never know someones true feelings. But Diana was a very young and shy girl. At her age, girls can fall completely and passionately in love with the most ugly men. It is part of the innocence. And besides, peoples tastes for men are diferent.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I just finished up Sarah Bradford's "Diana" and the author says that sometimes Charles discussing Diana(since her death) will occasionally remark "You know, in the beginning we really did love one another very much...we were very much in love......"

It almost makes me cry. Why why thingscould not have worked out for these two? I think in the end they were trying to work their way back to a loving friendship based on their love and pride in their children. I believe that Diana never really got over him and I also think Charles grief at her death was deep and genuine.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really need to get that book... It is sad that things didn't work out for them perhaps if things did she would still be alive today.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I remember being very young and looking at the en masse photograph of the Royal Family taken to commemorate the Silver Wedding of HM and Prince Philip. Had this marriage endured, we might have had a similar photo two years ago.

It seems strange to think of what Diana might have been like at 45 or now almost 47.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Seems strange I can't picture what she may have looked like nowadays at 47 had the crash never occured. I just can't beleive everytime I watch the wedding or see photos of them in the early days I just can't beleive it's been so long and I still can't get it through my head that she's gone it's cause everyday she's mentioned somehow so it feels like she's always been here and never left. Sometimes I think Charles wishes she were around not for him but to help the boys. I think had she still been alive today they might have actually been able to atleast be friends and get along more so then before due to both of them being more mature and all.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I recently finished Bradford's book as well. The whole tragedy of the thing is very sad. I think that they simply had trouble communicating from the very beginning, and the feelings that they had for one another didn't have a chance to develop a really strong foundation. We'll never know exactly why that was, but I think that their inability to "talk" was significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
It almost makes me cry. Why why thingscould not have worked out for these two? I think in the end they were trying to work their way back to a loving friendship based on their love and pride in their children. I believe that Diana never really got over him and I also think Charles grief at her death was deep and genuine.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I believe pride and the fear of appearing weak in front of the other played a major role.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes. I agree with that, too. For a relationship to work, each person sometimes has to admit that he/she was wrong or said the wrong thing. Pride interferes with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I believe pride and the fear of appearing weak in front of the other played a major role.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I wanted to put my thoughts of the marriage into this thread. I agree with what alot of you said, from what I've read and seen I think they did love each other but obviously Charles loved Camilla more. I think they both tried especially in the begining but it was obviously not meant to be. Diana had alot of problems made many mistakes, as did Charles I'm sure(I'm not going too into what I mean by this or I'll be here a whole day typing it up) Charles while I'm sure tried to understand Diana was far different then her.They both had affairs, probably fought as couples who's marriage is in truble usually do..um in the later years we saw a fed up Diana which by then we knew the marriage was over..to me I feel like both parties are to blame, Jennifer Aniston once said something along the lines of even if your 98% to blame your partner has to take 2% of the blame, but it seems even early on you could tell they weren't meant to be. Although I do beleive by the end they were getting along and I'm sure they could have worked things out and become friends.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Aristocracy

I keep reading about Diana's affairs as if someone is denying that she had any. Yes, she had them. Her admirers recognize that and I don't think anyone has denied it. However, what needs to be remembered is that it was a defensive move, and not an offensive one.

I suspect there would be far less keystrokes on the subject if we all accepted the timeline of the first Wales marriage.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
I keep reading about Diana's affairs as if someone is denying that she had any. Yes, she had them. Her admirers recognize that and I don't think anyone has denied it. However, what needs to be remembered is that it was a defensive move, and not an offensive one.

I suspect there would be far less keystrokes on the subject if we all accepted the timeline of the first Wales marriage.
Some people saw Diana's affairs as defensive moves and decided that this point wasn't relevant - they decided that an affair is still an affair whether it is offensive or defensive, and when they see everyone is having affairs then they see just a mess.

For a matter of fact, Camilla's affair was a defensive move against her husband's infidelities also; does she get your benefit of the doubt then? Probably not.

Yeah, so what if Charles had an affair first? It doesnt' excuse Diana's affair and I'll bet you for the wives of the husbands she fooled around with, the fact that Charles fooled around first didn't matter. I didn't blame Diana for having an affair but I did blame her and I still do blame her for creating a worldwide sobstory about being hurt by her husband's affair when she was conducting affairs of her own and other wives were complaining about her wrecking their marriage. Given her affairs and the effects it had on other men's marriages, she didn't have a right to complain about openly being hurt by her husband's affairs. Charles and Camilla didn't have a right to complain either and so they didn't.

I doubt if Diana fans feel much sympathy for Camilla for being cheated on by her husband and I don't think the wives of the men that Diana was fooling around with should have felt sympathy for Diana because she was cheated on by Charles.

So to answer your point, yes I see the chronology of the events and I still think Diana was being a hypocrite and the damage to the monarchy she created by her public sobstory was insincere, full of halftruths, passive aggressiveness and downright nasty. She didn't need to be the first adulterer for me to come to that conclusion.

You place too much importance on the chronology of the events.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
You place too much importance on the chronology of the events.
Perhaps because it matters.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Serene Highness

Enough please. None of us will ever know for sure who did what when and it can be argued endlessly.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Commoner

I do not seek to denigrate the current marital situation of the Prince of Wales. However I do believe that his going into marriage with Diana was wrong, morally and practically. I believe this because at the time of his first marriage, he was still very strongly attached to and attracted to Camilla with a strong likelihood that he would be unfaithful to his wife. I think that to enter into marriage with that in mind, makes a mockery of his wedding vows. Despite this, I acknowledge that he and Camilla are happily married now, which is a good thing. But, even taking that into consideration, it cannot be forgotten what torment Diana endured because of his pre existing attachment to Camilla. You really have to question whether there was ever any hope of his first marriage ever succeeding because of his predisposition towards infidelity.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Evenstar, you are going into waters full of turmoil here. You know, it is not undisputed who was the first to commit adultery. Like "once she felt she was not properly loved by Charles, she had a right to find "love" some place else". But don't let that disencourage you. These forums are known to rely very much on sources open to all members - you may evaluate them at your heart's delight later. But they are published, so give a base to discussion. Welcome!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
I

Problem is that nobody knows the proper timeline. Or do you really believe Diana when she claimed in the Morton-book that Charles "never ended" his relationship with Camilla?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well I wasn't arguing the timeline.

Both Monika and I agree that Charles committed adultery first. The difference in our opinions is that Monika is under the impression that the fact that Charles did it first takes all the guilt away from Diana for what she did and of course I disagree on that point but that point only but she has refrained from saying why she believes the way she does.

I even said that I did not blame Diana for having the affair but for playing the victim in public when she herself committed affairs against other married women.

So the argument is not whose affairs are worse Charles' or Diana's but rather did Diana give up her moral right to play the victim of her husband's infidelities when she had infidelities of her own.

In my opinion, yes, as soon as she had that affair she gave up the right to complain about Charles affairs.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_
Perhaps because it matters.
and this is the reasoning you give? This is the way a child talks.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Both Monika and I agree that Charles committed adultery first.
And yet nobody has any way of knowing who did what with whom first.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana