The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, I can't imagine all the pain and hurt feelings going away once the divorce went through. Had Diana lived into middle age and beyond after the divorce, perhaps they could have become warm friends again. However, had Charles married Camilla while Diana was alive, even years after the divorce, I think that Diana might have had a problem with her having any kind of relationship with William and Harry.
I find it hard to see Diana reaching that degree of calm and maturity. Perhaps because before her death she was in a volatile state... and I think that the scars on her personality caused by her childhood and aggravated by her long unhappy marriage meant she was too needy to find a very settled relationship.

And I think it would have been some years before she got over the anger at the Camilla situation...

Old 09-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
...And I think it would have been some years before she got over the anger at the Camilla situation...
Well, I think by some of what we write, WE have not gotten over the Camilla situation - and we were not even in the relationship.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Majesty

Yes, agreed re the Camilla situation. It would have taken a very long time for Diana to recover from that.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I find it hard to see Diana reaching that degree of calm and maturity. Perhaps because before her death she was in a volatile state... and I think that the scars on her personality caused by her childhood and aggravated by her long unhappy marriage meant she was too needy to find a very settled relationship.

And I think it would have been some years before she got over the anger at the Camilla situation...

I doubt Charles would have married Camilla if Diana were still alive. It would have been considered too risky for the future of the monarchy and the Queen would not have allowed it unless Charles renounced his succession rights, which in turn would have required an act of parliament and all the complicated ratification process in the other Commonwealth realms that we saw with the recent Succession to the Crown Act 2013.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Divorce is divorce. The Queen's own daughter divorced too and in the same year of divorce remarried while her first husband was still alive, so the precedent was there, allowing her child to remarry someone else.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I doubt Charles would have married Camilla if Diana were still alive. It would have been considered too risky for the future of the monarchy and the Queen would not have allowed it unless Charles renounced his succession rights, which in turn would have required an act of parliament and all the complicated ratification process in the other Commonwealth realms that we saw with the recent Succession to the Crown Act 2013.
I really don't think the Queen would have denied his right to remarry. As to making it conditional on him renouncing his succession rights, no way would she have acted in a way that split her family and endanger the monarchy.

The other thing you have to remember, and that seems to always be permanently ignored or glossed over, before Diana's death her behaviour was such that questions were asked in Parliament about who's paying for her 'lifestyle' as illustrated by the photo of her in her aqua bathing suit sitting on the end of the diving board, alternately doing the "lonely me" and the "lucky me" poses. Nothing like mixed messages.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...t5leT-pQopVIhw

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...RAL8ksscgr_u6w

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...hw_03_meEe4DV9
Old 09-28-2016, 01:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well, I think by some of what we write, WE have not gotten over the Camilla situation - and we were not even in the relationship.
Blessed if I know why? Certianly there are people who do seem to continue "holding a grudge" against her, but well lets face it, she's been married to Charles for a decade, she's been a fairly good Duchess, and Charles seems happy.. what is the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
No, the 2 reasons for allowing the divorce were (1) to end the marriage becuase it was clear that as long as they were still married, Diana was a problem.. whereas with her divorced they could "cut her loose" to an extent, and also ensure her silence in public, by confidentiailtiy agreements in the divorce.
The other was to allow Charles the freedom to remarry. He had admitted to an affair with Camilla, and by old fashioned protocol that really meant that he should marry her..
I think that the queen (and some of the public) woudl have preferred if he gave Cam up and ruled alone.. but clearly Charles loved Cam, was going to go on seeing her and because of that, it was clear that he had to marry her.
The queen didn't want him to give up his succession rights, becuase she is very conservative. Nor did he because he has been trained for being king all his life and I think he felt that why should he give up his job because of a bad marriage?
So he waited for soem time, till the QM had passed on, till his sons were older, and til the public had accepted Camilla as his partner and not a monster in human form but just a normal woman who had made some mistakes.. and by 2005, they were generally ready to accpet her as his wife.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:09 AM
Royal Highness

If I may add just pure speculation on my part. It had to be tough on Diana during the marriage and after the divorce because Charles had Camilla throughout the marriage problems, but after the divorce and he, if you will, stayed true to Camilla until they were married. Diana, by contrast, had relationships with several men and was unable to find the ONE. In addition, some the men kissed and told on her about their relationships, so a betrayal so to speak. Here's the most popular and beautiful Royal in the world and she can't find love after losing the man she loved and thought would stay with her forever. It had to gnaw at her.
I once read that Diana supposedly advised Charles after the divorce to marry Camilla and make a decent woman of her. I can't believe that ever happened. There was too much animosity Diana held for Camilla.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing for sure that came out of a nasty marriage for Charles was that he came to realize he did have a backbone. Once the marriage had ended, he came to the realization that "Camilla is non-negotiable" and that was that.

As far as being married to Camilla and having a living ex-wife, it really is no different of a situation than Camilla having a living ex-husband. As the views on divorce within the Church of England and by society as a rule since the time of Edward VIII has changed, I think the marriage would have gone ahead exactly as it did in 2005.

How Diana would have handled and accepted it all had she lived is something that is pure speculation and we have no way of actually knowing. Too many different variables.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-28-2016, 03:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Ifrles after the divorce to marry Camilla and make a decent woman of her. I can't believe that ever happened. There was too much animosity Diana held for Camilla.
I quite agree. Im sure that Diana knew he was going to marry Camilla, and that she'd have to accepet it, but she wasn't hapy about it.

I agree that it DID upset her, that Charles was with Camilla, whereas she was still looking for a happy love affair and a marriage and that beautfiul and charming as she was, she was not having much luck in finding one and that at least ONE boyfriend sold their story.
but then, in one sense, it wasn't that odd.. in that she was still really like a girl of 18 or so, meeting men and finding her way through the dating world.. Whereas Charles was settled with Camilla becauase he had done his years of sowing wild oats, having fun and working his way through several women till he found one to marry.
Diana hadn't really done that, and I think that well it is very rare that one finds "the One", on one's first canter out of thte paddock...
It takes time, experience and seeing a lot of people. that's why I can't understand people going on like Diana was a slut because "she had lots of affairs while Charles only had one".
He had only one because he had played the field in his 20s.. Diana was married at 20..
And she did have a lot of baggage. She was a prize, as the ex wife of a Prince.. and rich and beautiful so she was bound to attract a lot of the wrong sort of attention, as well as men who were decent and loved her.
But because she was older than the usual "dating years" age, she was more panicky about finding someone.
She wanted I think to be able to say to Charles and the RF,
"look I've found a nice husband, that Im happy with.. " and then perhaps she would care less that Charles hadn't loved her and that he was settled wth Camilla.
It is understandable, esp if she wanted another child, but her panickiness probalby didn't help in her affairs, when added to her natural intensity, it probaby scared some men off.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It is understandable, esp if she wanted another child, but her panickiness probalby didn't help in her affairs, when added to her natural intensity, it probaby scared some men off.
This, right here, is probably one of the most detrimental effects to come out of the very public War of the Wales epic saga against Diana. Any man would have had to be living under a rock or in a cave to not know at least some of the sordid events and problems that Diana faced during the marriage and have the intelligence of a village idiot to believe it was all to be pinned on Charles.

By the time Diana was seriously looking elsewhere for a loving, solid relationship, too much was already known beforehand what any possible suitor would be facing with a relationship with Diana. At the most, men at least figured that perhaps Diana was good "arm candy" and it gave them their moment in the limelight with one of the most prominent women of that time period.

I am apt though to exclude Hasnat Khan from this as the man definitely had higher priorities elsewhere with his dedication to his profession and has never talked about his time with Diana.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-28-2016, 03:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This, right here, is probably one of the most detrimental effects to come out of the very public War of the Wales epic saga against Diana. Any man would have had to be living under a rock or in a cave to not know at least some of the sordid events and problems that Diana faced during the marriage and have the intelligence of a village idiot to believe it was all to be pinned on Charles.

By
I am apt though to exclude Hasnat Khan from this as the man definitely had higher priorities elsewhere with his dedication to his profession and has never talked about his time with Diana.
If you are saying that people woudl figure that Diana had some blame in the unhappy marriage, yes of course that is true.
I think at first people did tend to blame C more but gradually began to realise that it was both of them.

Im not sure what you mean by "sordid events".. Charles had an affair, they both did, and they rowed and bitched about each other to their friends and because they had access to the meida, they did it more publicly as well. but that's normal IMO, with a bad marriage.
but lots of people have a bad marriage and then later a better one. People often behave badly in an unhappy marriage because they are very miserable..
and While Hewitt talked, He was the only one. Her other lovers were discreet, Oliver Hoare didn't talk to the media, Will C denied any affair, so did Gilbey. Hasnat Khan only did so when really forced to do so.

Diana did attract admirers who were interested in her largely becuase of her status, but I think she tended to give them very litlte time..
I think the bad thing was that nicer men, who might have been good for her, were frightened off by the media craziness, and the fact that they would be chased and commented on by the Press if they were once seen on a date with her. Teddy Forstman, the american Businessman was I think a bit put off by this.. he was well known in his own right, and was a bit put out to be then seen as Diana's beau -
(not that I think he was a very serous admirer, I think he was fond of her and they had a friendship.). -But it highlights the difficulties that Di faced in finding a nice man. The wrong sort would enjoy the meida attention for their own purposes, the right sort, woudl shy away from it.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Majesty

I suppose we'll never know how Charles felt about her taking up with the Fayeds during that last summer, but I don't imagine that he was pleased. Mr. al Fayed had a terrible reputation, and Dodi seemed to be a dabbler rather than a career man. I agree that Diana seemed a bit lost after the divorce, although her public work with the landmine issue must have given her great satisfaction.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Funny! But very true!

Although not so much for the people involved.

Only me, but I believe Diana was in love with Charles and stayed in that mindset through out the whole marriage and aftermath, so no, graciously conceeding to Camilla would never have happened.

Charles and Camilla marrying, Charles a divorcee rather than a widower?

I think the theory on that is a whole new thread!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Top secret medical records belonging to Charles and Diana found stuffed in cabinet on an industrial estate-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/193893...strial-estate/

They were delivered back to Clarence House.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Majesty

There be whales here! Ok.. its a Star Trek quote and in no way referencing the Wales' medical records but that quote is sometimes used such as "Eureka!"

It is most refreshing to know that there are decent people out there and also among the staff of the Sun. They ran with the story and very well could have made whatever was contained in the medical files public knowledge but they had enough respect for personal privacy not to.
― John Lennon
Old 10-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, good on the Sun! Of course, the Palace and Clarence House may have made a official complaint to the Press Council and have come down on the Sun like a ton of bricks if they had gone ahead. Isn't it illegal anyway to publish an individual's medical details anyway?
Old 10-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that posts concerning Diana's charity work after her divorce have been moved to the following thread:

Diana's Charity Work and Patronages
Old 10-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Serene Highness

I would think that it would be illegal to publish anyone's medical history or details in England. The people who returned the medical records were decent honest individuals. Had this gotten into the hands of someone who was dishonest or someone who wanted to make money off of the information which they probably would have, it would have been a different story.

A lot of people these days don't care or don't think about the consequences of their actions and wouldn't think twice about releasing the information on the royal family or anyone else.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but in general, people who are no longer alive lose "rights" as we know them in most political systems (not all, I know).

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana