Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Charles and Princess Diana visited Portugal in February 1987 to commemorate the Valentine's Day wedding six hundred years before of an English princess, Philippa of Lancaster, the daughter of John of Gaunt, to King John I of Portugal. :twohearts::twohearts:

Prince Charles proposed to Lady Diana in the gardens at Bolehyde Manor, the home of Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles. What do you think of Prince Charles proposing to Diana at his grandmother's Castle of Mey?

In 1987 Prince Charles went to Italy on a painting holiday. Did Princess Diana ever accompany Prince Charles on a painting holiday?

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I remember that tour as being one of the first times that Diana wore a short above-the-knees skirt on official duties. :lol:

I thought the proposal took place at Windsor. Charles proposed to Diana during the winter, I suspect that the Castle of Mey would not have been very hospitable at that time of year. Plus it is very remote.

Last edited:
Prince Charles proposed to Lady Diana in the gardens at Bolehyde Manor, the home of Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles. What do you think of Prince Charles proposing to Diana at his grandmother's Castle of Mey?

Do you have a source for that statement?

Diana didn't seem to remember any proposals in Scotland or at the Parker Bowles home. However she did recollect one at Windsor Castle on February 6th 1981, which was the location in every biography I've every read on Diana and Charles.

:previous:
i didn't know this book, so Googled it, and two of the first quotes that came up in the marketing of it are:
""This family did not have a drop of humanity in it before. I think Ive changed that." --Diana"
"All the compelling elements of a true dynastic saga are here: power, sex, wealth, intrigue, betrayal, tragedy, and scandal.*"

:lol: I guess I'm not the writer's target audience but I'm sure the audience will be large enough without me :flowers:

I’ve always found Christopher Anderson’s books to be rife with stories that belong to the tabloids rather than being serious journalistic endeavors.

does it actually say that Charles proposed to Diana somewhere other than Windsor? because that is where it is generally accepted that he proposed...

I definitely remember our guide at Windsor Castle pointing out a bench that had flowers planted all around it and it was on this little knoll inside the gardens. You could not get to it though as it was behind a black iron fence. At any rate she said that was where Prince Charles proposed to Diana.

I definitely remember our guide at Windsor Castle pointing out a bench that had flowers planted all around it and it was on this little knoll inside the gardens. You could not get to it though as it was behind a black iron fence. At any rate she said that was where Prince Charles proposed to Diana.

I thoguth that it was in the old nursery at Windsor, where they had dinner.

Although I can't recall a particular source, it seems as though there were questions asked by Charles of the "If I were to ask you to marry me..." sort. They could have been asked in different locations.

Diana didn't seem to remember any proposals in Scotland or at the Parker Bowles home. However she did recollect one at Windsor Castle on February 6th 1981, which was the location in every biography I've every read on Diana and Charles.

Although I can't recall a particular source, it seems as though there were questions asked by Charles of the "If I were to ask you to marry me..." sort. They could have been asked in different locations.

I doubt if it was in Scotand. she did visit there but it was relatively early in tehir courtship. She saw Charles regularly at Highgrove and Cam's house.. so if he were to have made a few hints, its much more likely to have been there.

I thoguth that it was in the old nursery at Windsor, where they had dinner.

Well you are correct. I asked my sister about this because she was there with me at Windsor Castle. She said, "The guide pointed and said that is where Prince Charles proposed to Diana Spencer." Someone in our group said, "On that bench?" Guide, "No...I'm pointing at the nursery above." So I missed that some how. My sister also said they asked if they could see it and the guide said, "No...besides it looks all different now as they have remodeled rooms." 22 years ago, Sept. 1997.

Last edited:
Well you are correct. I asked my sister about this because she was there with me at Windsor Castle. She said, "The guide pointed and said that is where Prince Charles proposed to Diana Spencer." Someone in our group said, "On that bench?" Guide, "No...I'm pointing at the nursery above." So I missed that some how. My sister also said they asked if they could see it and the guide said, "No...besides it looks all different now as they have remodeled rooms." 22 years ago, Sept. 1997.

A little bench in he garden sounds more romantic.. but it was winter!

I didn't know Diana had known Camilla so long before the wedding.
Were they friends for a while?

They were not exactly friends before she married Prince Charles. During the courtship period, Charles reportedly introduced the two women(he of course had known Camilla awhile).

Since he was close to Camilla, he wanted to get her opinion of Lady Diana.

Last edited:
Diana stayed at Camill'as home during her courtship of Charles.. while he was visiting Highgrove she would stay with Camilla at her house nearby. but they were never freidns.

Right not 'friends' but certainly some sort of social aquaintences. Likely she would of known of Camilla prior, due to the social circles they all mixed in.

LaRae

Right not 'friends' but certainly some sort of social aquaintences. Likely she would of known of Camilla prior, due to the social circles they all mixed in.

LaRae

i can't see how. Camilla was abuot 12 years older than her, so they were not likely to know each other.. Diana did get invited to some royal parties when she got to the age of 17 or so..and she might have seen Camilla at tehm but they were different personalities, different age and different stages of life. Charles asked her I suppose to have Diana to stay so that he could spend time with Di at weekends, and she agreed, and they "hung out" a bit during the courtship, but they weren't friends. They had nothing in common...

Last edited:
I agree that Diana and Camilla had very little in common and were never friends. I'm not sure that Diana wouldn't have known OF Camilla though. I'm just wondering if Sarah Spencer, Diana's sister, met Camilla while she and Charles were dating in 1977. It was known that Charles and Camilla were very close during the 1970s in spite of Camilla's marriage to Andrew Parker Bowles.

Surely, at the time Diana first dated Charles there would have been some discussion among the Spencers about the relationships within Charles's circle of friends, between the Prince and the Tryons, and the Prince and the Parker Bowles, for instance? Or did Sarah never meet any of them or chose not to impart what she knew, if she did?

I agree that Diana and Camilla had very little in common and were never friends. I'm not sure that Diana wouldn't have known OF Camilla though. I'm just wondering if Sarah Spencer, Diana's sister, met Camilla while she and Charles were dating in 1977. It was known that Charles and Camilla were very close during the 1970s in spite of Camilla's marriage to Andrew Parker Bowles.

Surely, at the time Diana first dated Charles there would have been some discussion among the Spencers about the relationships within Charles's circle of friends, between the Prince and the Tryons, and the Prince and the Parker Bowles, for instance? Or did Sarah never meet any of them or chose not to impart what she knew, if she did?

I don't think that Diana was so close to Sarah that she'd know her friends all that well...
.I dont know if Sarah would have met Camilla except occasionally. Her relationship with Charle was probalby more friendly than romantic.. But by the time he started to see Diana, I think he was seriously considering getting married, and he asked Cam for advice... plus in order to see Diana discreetly, he asked Camilla to put Diana up some weekends so that he and Diana could spend some time together.
Prior ot that Im sure that Diana had heard of Camilla, but did not know her at all.. But there were hints in newspapers and gossip mags that there was a close relationship between Charles and Camilla, and I can't see how Di didn't know somthig about it..

i can't see how. Camilla was abuot 12 years older than her, so they were not likely to know each other.. Diana did get invited to some royal parties when she got to the age of 17 or so..and she might have seen Camilla at tehm but they were different personalities, different age and different stages of life. Charles asked her I suppose to have Diana to stay so that he could spend time with Di at weekends, and she agreed, and they "hung out" a bit during the courtship, but they weren't friends. They had nothing in common...

Perhaps you misread what I said. I said KNOW OF ...not known.

LaRae

The look on Diana's face says it all. :eek:

It does, and though they were different in personality, it sometimes seems like a missed opportunity, in whatever inability there was to have a more cordial stance, or at least a neutral one with Camilla. That's assuming it would have been reciprocal but...

The occasional outing for lunch or what have you, would have been interesting to read of in the press. Unfortunately, we never had this richer dynamic and that left the prevailing outlook, all too often. Probably each detected a lack of mutual respect in the other, and therefore no foundation could be built.

Last edited:
Wasn't that photo taken on the occasion Diana spoke about years later, the one where Camilla took her out to lunch and, according to Diana, started pumping her about whether she would be going hunting after her marriage, the same hunt Charles and Camilla had ridden with for years? Diana never mentioned any other luncheon or dinner dates with Camilla as far as I remember.

Back
Top Bottom